Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

much ado

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

Post #26 by much ado » Wed May 17, 2017 12:30 pm

Fortinbras wrote:One of the many remarkable things is that the leading Republicans, like McConnell and Ryan, still talk as if nothing were amiss.
If this sort of accusation were made about a Democratic President, the Republicans in both Houses would already have the noose knitted up and the scaffold nailed together. [...]

Yes, it is remarkable, and it is true that they would already have started drafting articles of impeachment if this were a Democratic president. But give them time. Remember, today is just the 118th day of Trump's presidency. He has plenty of time to make things much, much worse. I have faith in him. ( :sick: ) Some Republicans are coming around. More will follow.

Unless, of course, Trump turns a new leaf and becomes a model president. :rotflmao:

Dolly

Re: Death Throws of the Trump Presidency

Post #27 by Dolly » Wed May 17, 2017 12:45 pm

wavey davey wrote:The Comey memo is devastating. White House denies it. Can anyone possibly believe that? Is there any possible way to wiggle out of that? Is there any escape from this being proof of obstruction of justice?

We haven't seen the actual memo but the wiggle supporters have started.

Fox & Friends <VIDEO may be slow to appear - or it is just my connection>
9 hrs ·
Greg Gutfeld: President Trump said "I hope," he didn't 'order' any investigation end

https://www.facebook.com/foxandfriends/ ... nref=story

Yeah, "I hope" is kinda like "Nice little FBI job you have here. Be a shame if anything happened to it. I hope not." :twisted:

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

ZekeB

Post #28 by ZekeB » Wed May 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Didn't Trump once upon a time mention that he would turn the reins over to his VP when elected if Kasich were his running mate? I couldn't image Trump doing that now.

RVInit

Post #29 by RVInit » Wed May 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Gregg wrote:If it comes down to conflicting accounts of the same conversation, who has the most credibility, James Comey or Donald Trump.
And not just with us, or not just with the larger non-partisan American, but its also important to the process how much support he retains from the Fox News viewer.

I took my mother to her doctor appointment this morning. A man was online on his phone. The discrediting of Comey has started in earnest - he was reading something out loud to his wife (had to be Breitbart, WD, Alex Jones, something of that ilk) where they are tying Comey to the Clinton Foundation and they were all responsible for killing Haitians, etc. Pure garbage.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Gregg

Post #30 by Gregg » Wed May 17, 2017 1:33 pm

At the risk of being crude, it amazes me how articulate he is with Trump's penis in his mouth....

What will he say when Comey testifies what he really did think?

Whatever4

Post #31 by Whatever4 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:44 pm

wavey davey wrote:The Comey memo is devastating. White House denies it. Can anyone possibly believe that? Is there any possible way to wiggle out of that? Is there any escape from this being proof of obstruction of justice?

For some ungodly reason, I've been reading comments today. :sick: So far, the Trumpeters are saying 1. We haven't seen the memo, it's possible it doesn't exist, 2. If it was so bad, he should have reported it, 3. He wasn't really trying to get Comey to stop the investigation, just trying to get him to lighten up and make it go away, 4. It's Comey's word against Trump's, 5. Doesn't matter because Hillary killed another person who got too close to the dirty stuff, the DNC staffer who leaked everything to Wikileaks because the Russians didn't really hack the DNC.

I need a shower.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Slartibartfast

Post #32 by Slartibartfast » Wed May 17, 2017 1:54 pm

Whatever4 wrote:

For some ungodly reason, I've been reading comments today. :sick: So far, the Trumpeters are saying 1. We haven't seen the memo, it's possible it doesn't exist, 2. If it was so bad, he should have reported it, 3. He wasn't really trying to get Comey to stop the investigation, just trying to get him to lighten up and make it go away, 4. It's Comey's word against Trump's, 5. Doesn't matter because Hillary killed another person who got too close to the dirty stuff, the DNC staffer who leaked everything to Wikileaks because the Russians didn't really hack the DNC.

I need a shower.

I have a friend (a staunch progressive and Bernie supporter who has been involved in Democratic politics for a long time) who is extremely anti-Hillary and, among other things, firmly believes the story that a DNC staffer leaked the damaging emails rather than Russian hackers. Does anyone know what the basis/debunking for this is?

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

bob

Post #33 by bob » Wed May 17, 2017 2:01 pm

CNN: Congressman calls for Trump's impeachment on House floor:
Democratic Rep. Al Green of Texas called for the impeachment of President Donald Trump Wednesday morning, the first member of Congress to officially request leveling charges against the President from the House floor.

Some, such as California Rep. Maxine Waters, have explicitly called for impeaching the President. Others, like Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, have merely mentioned the possibility, with Gabbard saying last month that she was studying the impeachment process.

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Dan1100

Post #34 by Dan1100 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Mikedunford wrote:My gut feeling is that Trump will leave office with the inauguration of his elected successor. And I'd say there's about a 65-70% chance, no more, that this will take place in 2020.

Sorry to say, I mostly agree with this. At best, if the Democrats take a solid majority of the House of Representatives in 2018, then there might be a chance that Trump gets forced out early. But I don't see any chance the present House of Rep's will impeach him or that his own cabinet will stab him in the back with the 25th amendment.

As someone said on the Daily Show last night, "We are on a roller coaster and we are only 1/10th the way up the first clicky part."

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

much ado

Post #35 by much ado » Wed May 17, 2017 2:23 pm

Fox News reports:

Comey cracks Republican wall: GOP pols voice concerns on Trump 'drama'

Lara Brown, director of George Washington University’s political management program, told Fox News she expects more fallout as the midterm elections approach. She predicted more Republicans will pull away from the Trump White House around October, giving health care legislation low odds and saying tax reform is "dead in the water."

“In the fall, each individual politician will make their strategic calculations if they can attach themselves to the president or distance themselves,” she said. “We’re going to see increasing numbers of Republican partisans moving away.”

Whatever4

Post #36 by Whatever4 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
I have a friend (a staunch progressive and Bernie supporter who has been involved in Democratic politics for a long time) who is extremely anti-Hillary and, among other things, firmly believes the story that a DNC staffer leaked the damaging emails rather than Russian hackers. Does anyone know what the basis/debunking for this is?

https://wonkette.com/617270/fox-celebra ... ws-made-up

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Chilidog

Post #37 by Chilidog » Wed May 17, 2017 3:04 pm

One of the laws that the trumpeters are trumpeting that Comey broke is our old friend "Misprision of Felony"

Of course they get a bit flustered when it is pointed out that in order for Comey to be guilty, Trump had to of commited a fellony

Edit -typo :oops:

bob

Post #38 by bob » Wed May 17, 2017 3:12 pm

Exactly: It isn't misprision of a I-dunno-if-it-is-a-felony.

This started with (of course) FOX: Gregg Jarrett: Comey's revenge is a gun without powder:
Jarrett wrote:Under the law, Comey is required to immediately inform the Department of Justice of any attempt to obstruct justice by any person, even the President of the United States. Failure to do so would result in criminal charges against Comey. (18 USC 4 and 28 USC 1361) He would also, upon sufficient proof, lose his license to practice law.

:roll: Jarrett at one point was actually a very successful lawyer; he is expected to know better. But:

18 U.S.C. sec. 4 (misprision):
Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

28 U.S.C. sec. 1361:
The district courts shall have original jurisdiction of any action in the nature of mandamus to compel an officer or employee of the United States or any agency thereof to perform a duty owed to the plaintiff.

Section 1361 grants jurisdiction to the federal district courts to hear mandamus petitions. It has nothing do with criminal charges or a duty to report. Jarrett is full-out bullshitting to sound impressive.

And misprision is not simply a duty to report. A non-ax-grinding hack would know better and not suggest otherwise.

Azastan

Post #39 by Azastan » Wed May 17, 2017 3:15 pm

And apparently not true if there is an overarching investigation which would be revealed.

Carefully noted for action at the appropriate time, however (in oh, say, a memo by an FBI agent).

kate520

Post #40 by kate520 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Also, informing the DOJ and Sessions probably would not have been the best move for him, eh?

There are three admin officials who have earned my undying disdain - Sessions, Mulveny and of course...the clown himself. I think Sessions is as dirty as any of them. Have you looked at Alabama politics lately? Corruption everywhere you look.

(CNN)Football reigns supreme in Alabama, where teams from the state have won five of the last nine national college championships.

The bare-knuckled bloodsport that is state politics, however, is producing an equally remarkable if more shameful record. A rare convergence of events has led to the state's three most powerful public officials -- Gov. Robert Bentley, House Speaker Mike Hubbard and Chief Justice Roy Moore -- each embroiled in scandals.
Bentley, the embattled second-term governor, is facing calls for his ouster over an inappropriate relationship with a former aide. Moore, chief of the state's supreme court, has been suspended over his flouting of federal law allowing same-sex marriage. Hubbard, meanwhile, goes on trial this week on felony corruption charges.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/24/us/alabam ... ndals-hfr/

Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

TexasFilly

Post #41 by TexasFilly » Wed May 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Whatever4 wrote:

I need a shower.

6. Trump was just joking. Heard that one from a U.S. Representative.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I never repeat myself. I never repeat myself. Trump 2/25/16

Patagoniagirl

Post #42 by Patagoniagirl » Wed May 17, 2017 3:52 pm

As to number 2, to whom would he have reported it to? Joy Reid did an nice job 'splainin' that one. Can't find the link.

bob

Post #43 by bob » Wed May 17, 2017 3:58 pm

Patagoniagirl wrote:As to number 2, to whom would he have reported it to? Joy Reid did an nice job 'splainin' that one. Can't find the link.

Here's one; n.b.:
Reid wrote:It is that this talking point you are hearing from a lot of Republicans-- Lindsey Graham has deployed it, the White House is deploying it -- that if Jim Comey had these concerns, he should have just gone to the Justice Department. Who would he have gone to? Jeff Session is implicated in Russiagate himself and had to recuse himself. Mr. Rosenstein has obviously made it clear that he is a 'yes' man. He is the direct supervisor of the FBI director. He clearly would not have been someone reliable. Should he have gone to Congress where Devin Nunes an apparatchik of the White House as head of the House Intelligence Committee where the current Republican heads either the Senate or House Intelligence Committees who are critically reluctant to do anything other than help Donald Trump by adding leaks and other things to their investigation? And it would have leaked immediately as his previous memo on Hillary Clinton did. So this is somebody who had nowhere to go. He essentially had to act on his own.

maydijo

Post #44 by maydijo » Wed May 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Until late yesterday I felt he would weather this too. But the chaos created by these repeated crises means that the Republican agenda can't pass now. According to reports here, the stock market has given up on the Republican agenda, and as of last night the futures market was falling. (I haven't seen a stock market report this morning so it's probably corrected itself overnight.) The GOP will put up with anything if they can still push their agenda, but if Trump interferes with that, they may move on impeachment.

Skip Intro

Post #45 by Skip Intro » Wed May 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Down 370 at the close. The Trump Slump has begun.

One major characteristic of the current administration is its deep and abiding terror of expertise in general, and outside expertise in particular. - Charles Pierce

Slartibartfast

Post #46 by Slartibartfast » Wed May 17, 2017 5:28 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

https://wonkette.com/617270/fox-celebra ... ws-made-up

Oh. Okay then. Someone should get out the Butter-de-bazillion indirect confirmation chart -- it looks like FOX News is using it
:?

Thanks! :thumbs:

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Sterngard Friegen

Post #47 by Sterngard Friegen » Wed May 17, 2017 5:36 pm

He won't last the four years. But I don't think he is anywhere near the punishment level that would make him quit. He has weathered many bankruptcies. And his Republican allies are still in the toilet with him.

I'd give it another year at least. But the Comey firing was the bright line where it all started to go irretrievably downhill.

Dolly

Post #48 by Dolly » Wed May 17, 2017 6:03 pm

NBC News <VIDEO>
4 hrs ·
While giving the commencement speech at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, President Trump said, "No politician in history...has been treated worse or more unfairly."

Read more: http://nbcnews.to/2rr71w6
direct link: http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-h ... d_nn_fb_ma

https://www.facebook.com/NBCNews/videos ... 914485997/

Trump Tells Coast Guard Grads No Politician ‘Has Been Treated Worse’
WED, MAY 17
President Trump advised Coast Guard graduates during a commencement speech that “adversity makes you stronger” and “the more righteous your fight, the more opposition that you will face.”
http://www.nbcnews.com/video/trump-tell ... 6174531789

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

June bug

Post #49 by June bug » Wed May 17, 2017 6:24 pm

Mike Dunford wrote:My gut feeling is that Trump will leave office with the inauguration of his elected successor.

Sterngard Friegen wrote:He won't last the four years. But I don't think he is anywhere near the punishment level that would make him quit. He has weathered many bankruptcies. And his Republican allies are still in the toilet with him.

I'd give it another year at least. But the Comey firing was the bright line where it all started to go irretrievably downhill.

I'm caught between Mike and Stern here. Trump won't quit and I see impeachment as a big reach, especially as long as his voters stick with him. But I also see Trump as someone who needs chaos in his life. As he keeps creating crises, one big one or the accumulation of many may bring him down.

I do agree with Stern about the Comey firing. No matter what happens to Trump's tenure, this is where his agenda started circling the drain.

TollandRCR

Post #50 by TollandRCR » Wed May 17, 2017 6:32 pm

Trump had battalions of lawyers protecting him for the bankruptcy cases. He might have come off better in some of them.

I don't see those barricades in place for an impeachment. More, I think that his personal strength is not enough to withstand an impeachment investigation. He is a weak person who tries to appear strong, but look at his recent facial expressions.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Trump Administration”