Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

Over Under for the end of "Our long national nightmare"

Out before the New Hampshire Primary
7%
Doesn't run in 2020
17%
Dumped at Convention in 2020
3%
Runs, re-nominated, loses to a Democratic fencepost or other more qualified candidate
63%
FOUR MORE YEARS! Trumpland Uber Alles
10%
Bonus option, Pence stabs him in the back and denies to pardon anyone
No votes

Total votes: 30

Addie

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

Post by Addie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:36 am

WaPo - Jennifer Rubin
It’s not the Democrats who’ll have a problem addressing impeachment ...

Much has been written about the Democrats’ dilemma once the report’s contents are known. Will their base demand impeachment hearings? What’s the point of impeaching if the Senate won’t act?

However, let’s say for the sake of argument that the report shows: 1.) Trump hired multiple campaign officials who had, collectively, more than 100 contacts with Russians and solicited a hostile foreign power’s help in winning the presidency; 2.) Trump lied repeatedly about his pursuit of a business deal with a hostile foreign power while running for president; and 3.) Trump took a slew of actions (from misleading the public to seeking leniency for Michael Flynn to intimidating witnesses in plain sight) that, if committed by anyone other than the president, would be grounds for indictment. Do the Republicans plan on running in 2020 under the banner: Leave the Russian patsy in power — or What’s a little obstruction between friends?

If so, they will have to defend not simply Trump’s criminal innocence but also his fitness to serve after committing all of the above. They’ll have to explain why none of that rises to the level of “high Crimes and Misdemeanor,” and why the country should allow him to continue as the chief executive charged with enforcement of the nation’s laws and the Constitution. Even in the best-case scenario for Trump, the facts we know about already are damning; in a world without a political party reduced to know-nothing cultists, they would be disqualifying for office.

That’s not all. Maybe before the 2020 election we’ll learn the results of the Southern District of New York investigation(s) on allegations of conspiracy to violate campaign finance laws, defraud banks and cheat on taxes, and other possible crimes. Are Republicans going to back a president who’s found responsible for any or all or those, or, if the investigation is not complete, back a president who, in his second term, could be found to have committed multiple financial crimes? What’s the defense? Hey, everyone pays off mistresses and files false campaign finance statements!

What gets lost in the discussion of impeachment vs. indictment and the presence or absence of a felony is the reaffirmation that Trump’s conduct — be it lying about his Russian business interests or trying to decapitate investigations — is in no sense acceptable for someone sworn to “take care” that the laws are enforced. He’s a menace to the presidency and to the rule of law and patently unfit to hold presidential powers. The Fox News hosts and their zombie audience will deny this, but what about “respectable" Republicans who like the tax cuts and judges but find most everything else objectionable? I suppose they could descend further into intellectual hackery and support reelection, but you’d think they’d at least consider looking for a nominee without an ocean liner full of baggage.

bob

Post by bob » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:45 pm

For those of you who voted for "out by end of Summer 2019 Congress," the House just recessed for its summer vacation.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:28 pm

bob wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:45 pm
For those of you who voted for "out by end of Summer 2019 Congress," the House just recessed for its summer vacation.
Maybe they're going home to constituents ready to impeach or do something.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:00 pm

The Atlantic - David Frum
"The Shame and Disgrace Will Linger"

On Saturday, President Trump spread a conspiracy theory accusing the Clintons of murdering Jeffrey Epstein. ...

But cosmic joke or no cosmic joke, Donald Trump is the president of the United States. You may not like it. I don’t like it. Mike Pompeo doesn’t like it. Mitch McConnell doesn’t like it. Kevin McCarthy doesn’t like it. But it’s still a fact, and each succeeding outrage makes it no less a fact. Grinning and flashing a thumbs-up over an orphaned baby? Yes, still president. Tweeting that a third-tier dictator has threatened him with more missile tests unless he halts military exercises with a U.S. ally——and that he has surrendered to that blackmail? Shamefully, still president. Accusing a former U.S. president of murder? It’s incredible, it’s appalling, it’s humiliating … but, yes, he is the president all the same.

Trump’s circle probably expects the world to sputter for a while and then be distracted by some new despicable statement or act. That is how it has gone for nearly three years, and that is how it is likely still to go. Trump is steering the U.S. and the world into a trade war and perhaps a financial crisis and recession along with it. He is wrecking the structure of U.S. alliances in Asia and his rhetoric is inciting shooting rampages against minorities. Compared to that, mere slurs and insults perhaps weigh lighter in the crushing dumpster-load of Trump’s output of unfitness for the office he holds.

But it shouldn’t be forgotten, either, in the onrush of events. The certainty that Trump will descend ever deeper into sub-basements of “new lows” after this new low should not numb us to its newness and lowness.

Neither the practical impediments to impeachment and the Twenty-Fifth Amendment process, nor the foibles and failings of the candidates running to replace him, efface the fact that this presidency shames and disgraces the office every minute of every hour of every day. And even when it ends, however it ends, the shame will stain it still.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:13 pm

Not just the US.
Three of Europe's biggest economies are probably in recession — and the ECB is out of bullets
https://markets.businessinsider.com/amp ... 1028435638
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:25 am

I suggest stop focusing on all the issues with Trump and start focusing on those who enable it. One man can be a nasty piece of work. But he can’t do much without a support network.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:17 am

Addie wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:00 pm
The Atlantic - David Frum
"The Shame and Disgrace Will Linger"

Trump is steering the U.S. and the world into a trade war and perhaps a financial crisis and recession along with it.
Is the "… and the world …" part correct? I don't recall hearing of any current trade wars that aren't US versus Somewhere, with the US as the aggressor. Other countries' leaders are generally sensible enough to recognize that Trump is an unusual and (hopefully) unique and transient abomination, not a guiding light to a brighter future.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:10 am

The most popular choice in the poll is (was) "Out by the end of the Summer 2019 Congress" with 19 votes. Hate to say it, that marker is OVER.

I'm redoing the poll, vote again por favor. :doh:
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:23 am

Daily Beast - Rick Wilson
This Isn’t the Madman Theory. This Is a Madman President.

In business, Trump could paper over his bankruptcies, flops, asinine remarks, and failed cons. The presidency is different.

At this moment, on another Earth, a man is locked in a padded cell, nodding to the gibbering chorus of voices in his head and smearing out his manifesto on the grimy walls of the asylum using a jagged fingernail and his bodily fluids. ...

On this Earth, the asylum is the bedlam of 1600 Pennsylvania, the inmate is the President of the United States, and instead of managing this dangerous patient, the staff sings his praises and encourages his worst behaviors.

The recognition that Donald J. Trump—President of the United States, Commander in Chief of the U.S. armed forces, leader of the Republican Party and now King of Israel and Chosen One—is, to use the psychiatric term of art, batshit crazy is dawning even on the slowest members of society. Also, that there’s not a damn thing we can do about it until November of 2020.

The big cons of the first term haven’t just been embarrassing flops but concatenating failures putting our economy and security at existential risk. The tax bill blew out the debt and deficit to unimaginable depths. North Korea’s serial humiliation of Trump proved to Kim Jong Un that he could pants the President of the United States and move the DPRK closer to full nuclear capabilities to threaten our allies and even our own shores.

The cruel nostalgia of Trump’s promises to restore coal, steel, and auto jobs are shattered on the altar of President Bigly Negotiator's moronic shitshow of an unwinnable trade war. The fact that he was spanked by Denmark, a country the size of Delaware, after his absurd “Buy Greenland” campaign was just one more humiliation of a President who clearly likes having his ass handed to him by bijou nations.

The Trump campaign and the early days of his administration were marked by the charming window when most of his supporters—and frankly, much of the mainstream media—believed that the vomitus spraying out of Trump's mouth was part of some clever psychological game, quantum chess to own the libs.

Only idiots and zealots believe that now. The howling vacuum of need within Trump's soul had already distorted every normal human emotion for decades, but now the stress of the presidency and the realities of his lasting failures have pushed him closer to a very public mental breakdown. In business, Trump could paper over his bankruptcies, flops, asinine remarks, and failed cons.

The presidency is different. His rising mania and rage come from the sure knowledge that history’s cold, brutal eye will allow no later revision, no long-term rethinking of his legacy, or even wry nostalgia over the grim era in which he presides. His failures, cruelty, caprice, corruption, and hairstyling tips will be graven in stone as a warning to future Americans.
Adding:
Newsweek: Ex-Trump Adviser Warns of President's Erratic, Bizarre Behavior: 'It's Growing Worse and Worse. I Can't Explain It'

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:30 am

I should pop this cross-post in here.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:32 pm

Almost didn’t recognize him without a long red tie, but the yuuuuge pile of hamberders was the giveaway. :lol:
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:24 pm

New York Daily News - Rick Wilson
The great crackup: Trump is coming even more undone

“Our great American companies are hereby ordered...”

The subtle meter in Americans’ brains that tracks the degree to which the universe seems off its axis has been in a state of constant flux since Donald Trump’s election in 2016, but this week the needle slammed hard into the peg on the right side of the gauge. Red warning lights are flashing across Washington as even the now-typical levels of uncertainty and political chaos reach epic proportions.

It’s almost as if we need a recalibration of the insanity of the Trump era, a new set of definitions about what comprises normal presidential behavior.

Because what’s happening now left normal five towns back, stopped for smokes and brown liquor, and tossed the GPS out the window. This week wasn’t normal, and no amount of whistling past the graveyard will make it any different.

Donald Trump’s affect, speech patterns and overall delivery this week have been alternately horrifying and hilarious. A combination of waking hallucinations, verbal tics, lies surpassing even his usual fabulist standard, aphasias and lunatic blurtings, each public utterance was a moment where the eye of his aides either popped or rolled, depending on their level of cynicism.

His, um, creative pronunciations of common words, mayfly attention to the most ephemeral ideas and high-tempo tweeting left people wondering if a heapin’ helpin’ of large-animal tranquilizer might be in order with the next round of KFC.

This week wasn’t just the usual Trump performance art; it was a new, strange and somewhat frightening level of antic. Even his allies whispered to reporters that perhaps the stress brought on by the prospect of an economic downturn was getting to him. With no adult supervision in the White House left — and no, Ivanka doesn’t count — this is a man on the edge, and there is absolutely nothing and no one to stop him.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:10 am

Addie wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:24 pm
New York Daily News - Rick Wilson
The great crackup: Trump is coming even more undone

“Our great American companies are hereby ordered...”

Donald Trump’s affect, speech patterns and overall delivery this week have been alternately horrifying and hilarious. A combination of waking hallucinations, verbal tics, lies surpassing even his usual fabulist standard, aphasias and lunatic blurtings, each public utterance was a moment where the eye of his aides either popped or rolled, depending on their level of cynicism.

His, um, creative pronunciations of common words, mayfly attention to the most ephemeral ideas and high-tempo tweeting left people wondering if a heapin’ helpin’ of large-animal tranquilizer might be in order with the next round of KFC.
I get that Rick Wilson, being the enemy of my enemy, doesn't make him my friend, but I do love his writing. And, for once, I get to point out an error in his usually flawless text. And in a community of professionals, I don't get to flaunt my junior college credentials often so I'm taking it. As I've mentioned before (yawn) I handled geriatric assessments for years. (I can do backwards serial 7s in my sleep.)

Unless I missed an actual aphasic event, Mr. Wilson means dysphasia. Aphasia means without words or speech, often a side effect of a stroke. Dysphasia means bad words/speech, as in mispronouncing simple words (larmarkers) or involuntarily substituting the wrong one (oranges for origins), especially if that substitution is repetitive (again - oranges). It can be caused by something traumatic, including a stroke, or some form of dementia of which there are several, some treatable, some somewhat manageable, others not so much.

We all stumble over a word here and there, some of us more than others. I'm particularly guilty. What one has to watch for is a pattern, especially if it accelerates exponentially. It's trump's deteriorating speech patterns that have convinced me he's suffering from early dementia. But that's a subject for another thread.
The girls prepare for our Jaws drive(way)-in movie tonight. ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:17 am

Thanks for the explanation, Slim. I like Rick Wilson's writing a lot, too, and Jennifer Rubin's. It doesn't kill any of us to read good writing.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:35 am

Addie wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:17 am
Thanks for the explanation, Slim. I like Rick Wilson's writing a lot, too, and Jennifer Rubin's. It doesn't kill any of us to read good writing.
Same. Hell, when I was in law school in Milwaukee, I frequently engaged with an idiotic local right-wing radio host named Charlie Sykes on my law student blog that had a brief time in the sun. And by "engaged with" I mostly mean "mocked."

Now Charlie Sykes is one of the sanest voices around. It also helps that he wrote a lengthy mea culpa regarding his time on the air insofar as he was a serial purveyor of fear and loathing of the City of Milwaukee (read: black and brown people) to the frightened, bunker-mentality suburban white folks of the WOW (Washington, Ozaukee, Waukesha) collar counties surrounding Milwaukee.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:59 am

I enjoy reading Rick Wilson, but I know when we get a democrat in the White House again he'll attack him with as much bile as he does Trump. Even now he slips an occasional slam against democrats in the anti-Trump stuff. He was responsible for the Jeremiah Wright stuff back in 2008. That was OK though. Obama went to Philadelphia and gave a speech, "A More Perfect Union", which is one for the ages.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:27 pm

PaulG wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:59 am
I enjoy reading Rick Wilson, but I know when we get a democrat in the White House again he'll attack him with as much bile as he does Trump. Even now he slips an occasional slam against democrats in the anti-Trump stuff. He was responsible for the Jeremiah Wright stuff back in 2008. That was OK though. Obama went to Philadelphia and gave a speech, "A More Perfect Union", which is one for the ages.
There is a well-populated category of ex-Republicans making loud ant-trump noises in media--all lovey-dovey with their progressive counterparts. Appalled by the immigration horrors, the profligate spending, the idiot wall, the racism, the cruelty, the lies, the hypocrisy of their office-holding Republicans. Scratch the surface and they are firmly against universal health insurance, the social safety net (anything that they can label "socialism" in fact), affordable education, actual financial help of any kind to anyone, LGBT rights and Democrats in general, whom they still classify as over-spenders who give away free stuff. They are still pro-capitalism without constraints. cf. Steve Schmidt, Joe Scarborough, etc.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:32 pm

That's just not true.

They're all for financial help, for millionaires and big corporations.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:35 pm

I left out pro-Israel, anti-Muslim, against equal pay for women and people of color, and above all wildly against the rich/corporations paying any taxes. Because, supply side. Pff Pff.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:58 pm

I enjoy Rick Wilson’s writing, particularly this article. I am leary of Republican strategists who now raise the alarm for the situation they helped create, like Joe Scarborough and Wilson. They see the awfulness of Trump but don’t connect Republican “principles” with the results.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

much ado

Post by much ado » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:15 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:58 pm
I enjoy Rick Wilson’s writing, particularly this article. I am leary of Republican strategists who now raise the alarm for the situation they helped create, like Joe Scarborough and Wilson. They see the awfulness of Trump but don’t connect Republican “principles” with the results.
Let's hope that a significant number of voters do make the connection.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:28 pm

Just saw this hilarious NSFW clip of Al Goldstein in the 80s if anybody remembers him, he had Screw Magazine and a Manhattan Cable public access TV show called "Midnight Blue", I think the whole city watched Al and Robin Byrd's show. Al always had a F*CK YOU segment, could be anything from wilted lettuce he got at the market to lots of politicians. Very Bernie Sanders in a way. Tweeted about it, if you want a quick laugh. And this is almost 35 years ago... what a joke even then.

Al Goldstein spanks Donald hard in the 80's on his NYC public access show. "He's always building towering phallic-shaped edifices, it's an EDIFICE complex; this man obviously has a small dick" NSFW!

Avatar Photo: Rusty, the All American Squirrel, was given Karl P. Koenigs' gun. Rusty: "Sucks to be you, Karl."
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:53 pm

Is there some population segment of rube Fogbowsers I am unaware of, who don't know that Never-Trumpers are conservatives? Are Fogbowsers in danger of being corrupted by their articles in the WaPo or the Daily News, and need protection from deciding for themselves what to read? Do we need child safety labels? Or is it the odd walk-in who stumbled upon TFB one day and bang! catches conservatism? I don't get it, folks. Who cares? Not I.

That's what we have a Dick Tater for, to decide these things. I'll back out of the discussion now, eat my comida, and watch TV for the remainder of this peaceful Sunday afternoon.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:06 pm

Trump is to conservatism as pornography is to romance.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:41 am

Trump is to conservatism as Ted Haggard is to theology.

Well, that's a tautology.

Return to “Trump Administration”