Death Throes of the Trump Presidency 2.0 The End Game

Over Under for the end of "Our long national nightmare"

Assumes Room temperature in advance of noon, January 20, 2021
No votes
Resigns in disgrace, to avoid epic and humiliating defeat
2%
Loses Election, disputes in multiple states in attempt to have Bill Barr and SCOTUS save him
67%
Loses Election and just barricades himself in the White House, where he goes on 75 day tweet rant descending into madness
12%
Wins, world in stunned, Earth destroyed by Vogons for our own good
2%
Absolute phucking chaos, general mopery ensues and legitimate Representative Republic becomes anachronistic phrase. To include any manner of illegitimate moves by Trump and Republicans to seize power and go full on Josef Stalin 'Fuck the Pope'
17%

Total votes: 42

Azastan

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

Post by Azastan »

Mikedunford wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:51 pm This administration's death throes have now gone on for almost as long as a mezzo-soprano's in a German opera.
It'd be nice if the fat lady sang and got it over with.

HeatherGray

Post by HeatherGray »

Azastan wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:58 pm
Mikedunford wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:51 pm This administration's death throes have now gone on for almost as long as a mezzo-soprano's in a German opera.
It'd be nice if the fat lady sang and got it over with.
You beat me to it.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

I am surprised that none of Trump's henchmen has absconded to a country with no extradition treaty.

I think that Trump may remain to the end of his (only) term of office, but he's been badly wounded and we may not see many wild or questionable maneuvers from him in the remaining two years.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Fortinbras wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:25 pm I am surprised that none of Trump's henchmen has absconded to a country with no extradition treaty.

I think that Trump may remain to the end of his (only) term of office, but he's been badly wounded and we may not see many wild or questionable maneuvers from him in the remaining two years.
Would require a lever of smarts and lack of ego that most/all of them are sorely lacking.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Fortinbras wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:25 pm I am surprised that none of Trump's henchmen has absconded to a country with no extradition treaty.

You mean maneuvers such as trying to appoint a former talking head from FOX News as ambassador to the U.N? One who has a total of 19 months experience in diplomacy. Not that she's very diplomatic, mind you.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Apparently Don Jr is out of the country in Canada on a hunting trip.

One thing you have to understand about Trump is - he is an addict. NOT having people talk about him causes him Pain. Anytime he is not on the TV news enrages him. He is a narcissist and he makes everything about him and craves that attention, AND he wants to be seen as smart. Rational people would go quiet and try not to draw attention to this, but he is not motivated by rational impulses. In a way he will draw attention to it as its what giving him the most attention right now. And he will attack it as he is terrified that people will see he is a loser.

In short, he will do wild and questionable maneuvers. Hell Don Jr is busy trolling members of the body that will have subpoena power next month on twitter, so the braincell has not fallen far from the tree.

The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

poplove wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:14 pm I remember this event being covered by local Las Vegas news: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/donald ... vegas-stop
Real estate mogul and reality TV star Donald Trump unleashed an f-bomb-laced attack on President Obama and Washington politics Thursday night during a speech that likely won't help him win the family-values vote should he decide to run for president.
he lamented the nation's focus on building schools in war-torn Iraq, while neglecting education in the United States.

"In the meantime we can't get a f---ing school in Brooklyn," he said.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Well, gee, Donny boy... maybe if you had paid your taxes they could have afforded to build some.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
maydijo

Post by maydijo »

Huh. According to Wikipedia there are actually a lot of schools in Brooklyn:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template: ... n_Brooklyn
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... yn,_Queens

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

And didn't the Obama administration see increases in the percentage of students graduating from high school pretty much all eight years? Something gives me the impression lots of social and societal advancements made under the Obama years are going to be shown to plunge during the EGOTUS years.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

I heard this song years ago and I never could make out what they are talking about. Now I wonder if it is about one of Trump's buddies. School construction graft, I assume the city did a cleanup at some point and somebody got indicted.

You know, there is literally everything on YouTube.

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost »

Yeah, funny how he keeps hanging on but...the pressure will be throttling him constantly from here on out. The first hurdle is a new CoS, which is looking like a search for someone who does want to get thrown under the bus upon immediate arrival...Or at least in front of the oncoming bus. Trump needs a real sycophant, someone who will let him tweet to his heart's content (and, if necessary, try to shut down Mueller and pardon people) while Pompeo and Bolton run most of the shitshow, with the TT (Trading and Tariffs) Twins all over settling this China BS. Certainly Trump must be mystified about why China hasn't folded yet, and will soon give up on trying to do anything besides additional tariffs...

But then again, sabers are being vaguely rattled with the Huawei arrest and Russian moves against Ukraine, so maybe Trump will read the tea leaves and get out before he really truly gets tested in a way having some real world consequences...

ETA:
Peter Alexander
@PeterAlexander

In a single sentence, a source close to the president sums up Trump’s challenge in trying to lure a new chief of staff: “History has already predetermined the next guy’s fate.”

"I said we will sacrifice the economy in the short term to protect our people's health, people's lives!" - Nguyễn Xuân Phúc
Keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Programmer/ Project Manager

Post by Keith »

I'm curious (perhaps morbidly)... Is anybody keeping a spreadsheet listing the allegations in the dossier and which have been confirmed, debunked, or still under review?

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I just read that he's got nothing on his calendar today except lunch with Pence. Fasten your seatbelts...

maydijo

Post by maydijo »

Keith wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:13 am I'm curious (perhaps morbidly)... Is anybody keeping a spreadsheet listing the allegations in the dossier and which have been confirmed, debunked, or still under review?
To my knowledge nothing had been debunked and many allegations have been proven, but I'm not keeping a spreadsheet or anything. Considering what they now know is true, I think safe money would be there's a pee tape out there somewhere.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

maydijo wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:37 am
Keith wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:13 am I'm curious (perhaps morbidly)... Is anybody keeping a spreadsheet listing the allegations in the dossier and which have been confirmed, debunked, or still under review?
To my knowledge nothing had been debunked and many allegations have been proven, but I'm not keeping a spreadsheet or anything. Considering what they now know is true, I think safe money would be there's a pee tape out there somewhere.
:pray:

I haven't heard of anything being disproved, you know Fox would have shouted it from the rooftops if they had something.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Kendra wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:16 am I just read that he's got nothing on his calendar today except lunch with Pence. Fasten your seatbelts...
It seems like he never does much on Mondays

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Chilidog wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:04 am
Kendra wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:16 am I just read that he's got nothing on his calendar today except lunch with Pence. Fasten your seatbelts...
It seems like he never does much on Mondays
But...he's so busy that's why it took so long to answer Mueller's questions. :brickwallsmall:

Addie

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting

WaPo - Open Letter to the US Senate
We are former senators. The Senate has long stood in defense of democracy — and must again.

Dear Senate colleagues,

As former members of the U.S. Senate, Democrats and Republicans, it is our shared view that we are entering a dangerous period, and we feel an obligation to speak up about serious challenges to the rule of law, the Constitution, our governing institutions and our national security.

We are on the eve of the conclusion of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation and the House’s commencement of investigations of the president and his administration. The likely convergence of these two events will occur at a time when simmering regional conflicts and global power confrontations continue to threaten our security, economy and geopolitical stability.

It is a time, like other critical junctures in our history, when our nation must engage at every level with strategic precision and the hand of both the president and the Senate.

We are at an inflection point in which the foundational principles of our democracy and our national security interests are at stake, and the rule of law and the ability of our institutions to function freely and independently must be upheld.

During our service in the Senate, at times we were allies and at other times opponents, but never enemies. We all took an oath swearing allegiance to the Constitution. Whatever united or divided us, we did not veer from our unwavering and shared commitment to placing our country, democracy and national interest above all else.

At other critical moments in our history, when constitutional crises have threatened our foundations, it has been the Senate that has stood in defense of our democracy. Today is once again such a time.

Regardless of party affiliation, ideological leanings or geography, as former members of this great body, we urge current and future senators to be steadfast and zealous guardians of our democracy by ensuring that partisanship or self-interest not replace national interest.

Max Baucus (D-Mont.), Evan Bayh (D-Ind.), Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.), Bill Bradley (D-N.J.), Richard Bryan (D-Nev.), Ben Nighthorse Campbell (R-Colo.), Max Cleland (D-Ga.), William Cohen (R-Maine), Kent Conrad (D-N.D.), Al D’Amato (R-N.Y.), John C. Danforth (R-Mo.), Tom Daschle (D-S.D.), Dennis DeConcini (D-Ariz.), Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.), David Durenberger (R-Minn.), Russ Feingold (D-Wis.), Wyche Fowler (D-Ga.), Bob Graham (D-Fla.), Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.), Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), Gary Hart (D-Colo.), Bennett Johnston (D-La.), Bob Kerrey (D-Neb.), John Kerry (D-Mass.), Paul Kirk (D-Mass.), Mary Landrieu (D-La.), Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.), Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.), Richard Lugar (R-Ind.), Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), Ben Nelson (D-Neb.), Sam Nunn (D-Ga.), Larry Pressler (R-S.D.), David Pryor (D-Ark.), Don Riegle (D-Mich.), Chuck Robb (D-Va.), Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.), Jim Sasser (D-Tenn.), Alan Simpson (R-Wyo.), Mark Udall (D-Colo.), John W. Warner (R-Va.), Lowell Weicker (I-Conn.), Tim Wirth (D-Colo.)

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Addie wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:28 am Cross-posting
:snippity:
Max Baucus (D-Mont.), Evan Bayh (D-Ind.), Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.), Bill Bradley (D-N.J.), Richard Bryan (D-Nev.), Ben Nighthorse Campbell (R-Colo.), Max Cleland (D-Ga.), William Cohen (R-Maine), Kent Conrad (D-N.D.), Al D’Amato (R-N.Y.), John C. Danforth (R-Mo.), Tom Daschle (D-S.D.), Dennis DeConcini (D-Ariz.), Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.), David Durenberger (R-Minn.), Russ Feingold (D-Wis.), Wyche Fowler (D-Ga.), Bob Graham (D-Fla.), Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.), Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), Gary Hart (D-Colo.), Bennett Johnston (D-La.), Bob Kerrey (D-Neb.), John Kerry (D-Mass.), Paul Kirk (D-Mass.), Mary Landrieu (D-La.), Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.), Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.), Richard Lugar (R-Ind.), Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), Ben Nelson (D-Neb.), Sam Nunn (D-Ga.), Larry Pressler (R-S.D.), David Pryor (D-Ark.), Don Riegle (D-Mich.), Chuck Robb (D-Va.), Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.), Jim Sasser (D-Tenn.), Alan Simpson (R-Wyo.), Mark Udall (D-Colo.), John W. Warner (R-Va.), Lowell Weicker (I-Conn.), Tim Wirth (D-Colo.)
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Birfers are toast
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

This is a wonderful gesture. Totally ineffective for the likes of Tom Cotton, Mitch McConnell, Marco Rubio,.... I mean, what's in it for THEM?

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I was sorely tempted to start a new "Trump Impeachment Proceedings" thread, but its just a little too soon. The good news is, we can skip the debate over the meaning of ''high crimes and misdemeanors" as it appears he has both bribery and treason covered.

Trump inaugural committee under criminal investigation, source says

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/13/politics ... index.html

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky
Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

I think we should start worrying -- yes, worrying -- that Mike Pence will become President!!

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Daily News OpEd - Michael Golden
Trump is toast: This week really was the beginning of the end for the President

He is done. Donald Trump will be forced to resign the presidency before November 2020.

It's always looked like this might be where we were heading. But now it is far easier to believe it’s going to happen. The case against Trump has barreled past the tipping point. And there’s nothing he can do to reverse it.

Let’s break it all down.

The President of the United States has been implicated in at least one felony. The same crime that his own lawyer pleaded guilty to and has been sentenced to serve time for in federal prison (along with other offenses).

But Michael Cohen wasn’t alone. The head of American Media, Inc., David Pecker, has now implicated Trump. Pecker has also agreed to cooperate with the special counsel. At the very least, he will attest, under oath, to Trump’s directing hush money to keep women’s mouths shut about their sexual affairs with him — in a clearly stated effort to influence the campaign. Felony.

Right now, right this minute, a substantive case can be made that Trump is an unindicted co-conspirator in a felony crime. This was the term that became popular after Watergate as a way to refer to Richard M. Nixon.

Return to “Trump Administration”