Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

Over Under for the end of "Our long national nightmare"

Out before the New Hampshire Primary
0
No votes
Doesn't run in 2020
3
16%
Dumped at Convention in 2020
2
11%
Runs, re-nominated, loses to a Democratic fencepost or other more qualified candidate
11
58%
FOUR MORE YEARS! Trumpland Uber Alles
3
16%
Bonus option, Pence stabs him in the back and denies to pardon anyone
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 19

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 33158
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#726

Post by Addie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:17 pm

WaPo - Max Boot
Trump can’t do anything right — even his coverups are incompetent

If there is one lesson that Washington learned from Watergate, it is that “the coverup is worse than the crime.” There is still no evidence that Richard Nixon ordered the burglary of the Democratic National Committee headquarters. It was his attempts to obstruct the investigation that brought him down. That lesson was reinforced in the 1990s. President Bill Clinton was impeached not because of any financial improprieties involving the Whitewater Development Corp., or even his sexual transgressions, but because he lied about his trysts with Monica Lewinsky under oath.

Yet President Trump is either oblivious to, or simply disdainful of, what for good reason has become conventional wisdom in politics. No president has attempted more coverups — and with less success.

Trump’s most continuous and most failed coverup is of the incompetence and backbiting in his own administration. “We have a lot of love in the administration. The White House is truly, as you would say, a well-oiled machine. It is working so well,” he insists, even as the administration lurches from one disaster to another, and his aides stab each other, and him, in the back with anonymous quotes — and even, in one notable instance, an anonymous op-ed. Now the chaos is rising again with the expected departure of White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly. ...

Trump’s evasions and lies have now predictably backfired by enraging senators and spurring them not only to hold the crown prince responsible but also to cut off support for the Saudi war in Yemen. Trump is likely to do more damage to the U.S.-Saudi relationship than if he had simply told the truth from the beginning and argued for the kind of measured response that President George H.W. Bush made after the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre. Bush didn’t say, “Maybe Deng Xiaoping ordered the crackdown — and maybe he didn’t.”

But no coverup will do as much damage to the Trump presidency as the one involving the investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 investigation. Admittedly, in this instance, the coverup may not be worse than the crime — if the crime in question is conspiracy against the United States in collusion with a hostile foreign power. But Trump’s attempts to obstruct the Russia probe are nevertheless backfiring and actually making matters worse for him. Indeed, a special counsel would never have been appointed in the first place were it not for Trump’s firing of FBI Director James B. Comey to stop the probe of the “Russia thing.”

User avatar
Notorial Dissent
Posts: 12382
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#727

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:33 pm

LaRump's behavior was fine until the slime and contagion started to spread to them, and affect their livelihoods, as a number of them discovered at mid-terms. He has reached the point where he is toxic to them now as well.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2764
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#728

Post by maydijo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:41 pm

This is my one-in-a-million shot prediction: the GOP will push out Trump and Pence before the new Congress sits because then it'll be President Ryan instead of President Pelosi.

I don't think there's a strong chance of it happening, but if they were smart they'd see the writing on the wall.

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3689
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#729

Post by Azastan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:43 pm

maydijo wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:41 pm
This is my one-in-a-million shot prediction: the GOP will push out Trump and Pence before the new Congress sits because then it'll be President Ryan instead of President Pelosi.

I don't think there's a strong chance of it happening, but if they were smart they'd see the writing on the wall.
Interesting theory, but the GOP apparently doesn't think that far ahead.

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2764
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#730

Post by maydijo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:50 pm

And I don't think it'll be that easy to get rid of Trump. Pence is a party man, if they told him to go he'd go, but Trump would have to be physically dragged from the White House - I'm imaging groove marks on the doorway from where he tried to hold on. So I don't think it's a terribly realistic scenario, but it'd be the smart move for the party.

Of course as a bloody socialist I'm happy for them not to do it - President Pelosi has a nice ring to it!

User avatar
SLQ
Posts: 2842
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:33 am

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#731

Post by SLQ » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:58 pm

maydijo wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:50 pm
And I don't think it'll be that easy to get rid of Trump. Pence is a party man, if they told him to go he'd go, but Trump would have to be physically dragged from the White House - I'm imaging groove marks on the doorway from where he tried to hold on. So I don't think it's a terribly realistic scenario, but it'd be the smart move for the party.

Of course as a bloody socialist I'm happy for them not to do it - President Pelosi has a nice ring to it!
Especially now that Trump has seen the funeral given to a former president. Not that he would get the send-off that H-W did, but he will not understand that. In his mind, he deserves all that and more.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3689
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#732

Post by Azastan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:05 pm

My own little musings--what will Trump do when he is no longer president, and he is not the most important person in the room? He'll still have devoted followers, but it's not going to be the same as now, when he can freely travel around the US and hold his rallies.

User avatar
Chilidog
Posts: 9786
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#733

Post by Chilidog » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Azastan wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:05 pm
My own little musings--what will Trump do when he is no longer president, and he is not the most important person in the room? He'll still have devoted followers, but it's not going to be the same as now, when he can freely travel around the US and hold his rallies.
I can see him keep holding rallies...to increasingly smaller and smaller crouds.

User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 16653
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#734

Post by Suranis » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:18 pm

He was holding rallies long before he ran.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 8093
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#735

Post by RVInit » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:25 pm

My biggest fear is that he will continue to hold those rallies, constantly tweet, and the next POTUS will have a hell of a time attempting to govern a constantly angry, divided country. And the fucken media will continue to give him all the air time because it's good for their bottom line. We will likely hear less from the actual POTUS than we will from that bloated buffoon. Until the day the mofo finally dies.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

User avatar
Dan1100
Posts: 3425
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#736

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:46 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:11 pm
Azastan wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:05 pm
My own little musings--what will Trump do when he is no longer president, and he is not the most important person in the room? He'll still have devoted followers, but it's not going to be the same as now, when he can freely travel around the US and hold his rallies.
I can see him keep holding rallies...to increasingly smaller and smaller crouds.
I know federal minimum security prisons are pretty lax, but I don't think inmates are allowed to hold rallies.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3689
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#737

Post by Azastan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:52 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:46 pm


I know federal minimum security prisons are pretty lax, but I don't think inmates are allowed to hold rallies.
On the other hand, poots have been successful with grifting whilst in prison, so perhaps he can become a billionaire after all.
RVInit wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:25 pm
My biggest fear is that he will continue to hold those rallies, constantly tweet, and the next POTUS will have a hell of a time attempting to govern a constantly angry, divided country. And the fucken media will continue to give him all the air time because it's good for their bottom line. We will likely hear less from the actual POTUS than we will from that bloated buffoon. Until the day the mofo finally dies.

I can definitely see that (unless he goes to Club Fed).

User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 22284
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#738

Post by Volkonski » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Trump can not be enjoying this morning's headlines. He will lash out like a wounded animal. THe atmosphere in the WH must be terrible.

'A LOT OF REPUBLICANS' STARTING TO THINK TRUMP WON'T SERVE OUT HIS TERM, CONSERVATIVE COMMENTATOR SAYS

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEN ... id=US%3Aen

‘Siege warfare’: Republican anxiety spikes as Trump faces growing legal and political perils

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... a24add0ae7

Christie: It sounds like prosecutors have corroborating evidence against Trump beyond Cohen

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-tal ... rump-cohen

Trump's worst week ever? From Mueller and Michael Cohen to Bush's funeral, the past seven days were disastrous

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/t ... ncna945731

DONALD TRUMP COULD FACE CRIMINAL CHARGES IF HE LOSES 2020 ELECTION, PROSECUTORS IN MICHAEL COHEN CASE BELIEVE: REPORT

https://www.newsweek.com/doanld-trump-c ... ed-1251171

NY Rep.: If it's proven Trump directed Cohen payments, would be 'impeachable offenses'

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/09/politics ... index.html
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

User avatar
jtmunkus
Posts: 5692
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 7:33 pm
Location: Cone of Silence

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#739

Post by jtmunkus » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:20 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:47 pm
Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:35 pm
I sincerely doubt LaRump has even the slightest clue or understanding of how the FED actually works, he's such a stable genius that his gut knows better though. What he knows is that they ARE NOT doing what he wants them to do and that is enough for them to be wrong.
Maybe his gut is just constipated.
I'm pretty sure that - and the World's Greatest Hemorrhoids - are what cause him to never sit back in his chair. :doh:

PaulG
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#740

Post by PaulG » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Bowl of oatmeal every morning with breakfast. It would change his life.

User avatar
neonzx
Posts: 6022
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:27 am

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#741

Post by neonzx » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:54 pm

Image
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

User avatar
neeneko
Posts: 1657
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:08 am

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#742

Post by neeneko » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:27 pm

RVInit wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:25 pm
My biggest fear is that he will continue to hold those rallies, constantly tweet, and the next POTUS will have a hell of a time attempting to govern a constantly angry, divided country. And the fucken media will continue to give him all the air time because it's good for their bottom line. We will likely hear less from the actual POTUS than we will from that bloated buffoon. Until the day the mofo finally dies.
I suspect he will go back to his idea of Trump TV, see if he can get enough investors to bankroll his own news network.

User avatar
SLQ
Posts: 2842
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:33 am

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#743

Post by SLQ » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Suranis wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:18 pm
He was holding rallies long before he ran.
:gotalink:
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#744

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:26 pm

Putin may not allow Trump to have a post presidential career. There likely is not enough brand value even for Moscow now.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

User avatar
tek
Posts: 3508
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Happy Valley, MA
Occupation: Damned if I know

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#745

Post by tek » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:33 pm

Yeah that's what I was thinking.. in general, I don't think anyone will bankroll anything for this idiot..
There's no way back
from there to here

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2764
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#746

Post by maydijo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:36 pm

I've been trying to figure out how this will end. I can't see the Senate Republicans voting to remove Trump; I can't see Trump stepping down; but I also can't see how he can possibly continue as President, given the damning reports of the past few days. But what's left? How will this end? Part of me hopes he strokes out after one too many Big Macs and angry tweets; but then the Q-idiots would be convinced it was a deep state assassination.

User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 16653
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#747

Post by Suranis » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:16 pm

SLQ wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:33 pm
Suranis wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:18 pm
He was holding rallies long before he ran.
:gotalink:
Not really. I just remember reading in a magazine in 2015 or so that the guy had been holding paid talks to crowds for a few years, honing his delivery and message.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

User avatar
poplove
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Las Vegas NV
Occupation: Air Force Veteran & Retired DoD civilian.
Contact:

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#748

Post by poplove » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Suranis wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:16 pm
SLQ wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:33 pm
Suranis wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:18 pm
He was holding rallies long before he ran.
:gotalink:
Not really. I just remember reading in a magazine in 2015 or so that the guy had been holding paid talks to crowds for a few years, honing his delivery and message.
I remember this event being covered by local Las Vegas news: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/donald ... vegas-stop

User avatar
Flatpointhigh
Posts: 7897
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:05 pm
Location: Hotel California, PH23
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.
Contact:

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#749

Post by Flatpointhigh » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:40 pm

neeneko wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:27 pm
RVInit wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:25 pm
My biggest fear is that he will continue to hold those rallies, constantly tweet, and the next POTUS will have a hell of a time attempting to govern a constantly angry, divided country. And the fucken media will continue to give him all the air time because it's good for their bottom line. We will likely hear less from the actual POTUS than we will from that bloated buffoon. Until the day the mofo finally dies.
I suspect he will go back to his idea of Trump TV, see if he can get enough investors to bankroll his own news network.
This. He is seething at the knowledge that Obama has a huge netflix(?) deal to produce programming. The only thing he's ever really remotely successful at is tv.

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

User avatar
Mikedunford
Posts: 10415
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Death Throes of the Trump Presidency

#750

Post by Mikedunford » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:51 pm

This administration's death throes have now gone on for almost as long as a mezzo-soprano's in a German opera.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Post Reply

Return to “Trump Administration”