Trump's first overseas trip.

RVInit

Re: Trump's first overseas trip.

Post by RVInit » Thu May 18, 2017 9:15 am

I wonder how Trump will react when he gets nothing but a sprinkling of very light polite applause overseas.

He will have to schedule a big rally to make himself feel better when he gets back home. I would bet his staff will be scrambling to get it scheduled after day one on the road. Wouldn't it be fun if he cuts his trip short because of not getting enough love?
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Thu May 18, 2017 10:33 am

Saturday, May 20--Riyadh, to meet with King Salman, banquet, spill secrets with the king, crown prince, and deputy crown prince.

Oh, and Mrs. Trump will also be there, having dinner with the Saudi royal family.
No golf, though.

Sunday, May 21--meetings with Gulf Cooperation Council leaders. In the afternoon, the much anticipated speech which will bring peace to the world. Trump participates in a Twitter forum with young people. Uh oh...
No golf.

Monday, May 22

Trump travels to Jerusalem where he will meet with Israeli President Reuven Rivlin and lay a wreath at Yad Vashem, the World Holocaust Remembrance Center, and deliver remarks at the Israel museum. Uh oh. Trump meets privately later that day with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Lucky Mrs. Trump is still stuck on the tour, and has to eat dinner with the Netanyahus.
No golf.

Tuesday, May 23--Trump meets with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in Bethlehem, goes to visit the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and is going to attempt to be humble by saying a prayer at the Western Wall in Jerusalem.
No golf.

Wednesday, May 24--Bet this is one of the days Trump wants to can. He meets with Pope Francis at the Vatican. Has a tour of St Peters, meets with President Sergio Mattarella.
No golf.

Thursday, May 25--another day he probably wants to can. He meets with King Philippe of Belgium. Heads to the EU headquarters to meet with the EU and EC presidents. He gets to have a working lunch with Emmanuel Macron. He's going to unveil a memorial!
No golf.

Friday, May 26--he attends the G7 summit in Sicily. Gets to attend a concert of the La Scala Philharmonic later that evening. Mrs Trump seems to have gone away on Wednesday?
No golf.

Saturday, May 27

Before departing for Washington, D.C., Trump speaks to American and Allied servicemen and their families, recapping highlights and accomplishments of the trip.

Maybe some golf?

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu May 18, 2017 10:49 am

I don't have warm and fuzzy feelings about this trip. But I'm guessing that's nothing compared with how the career State Department staff in the soon-to-be-afflicted countries are feeling.

In fact, when I tried to wrap my brain around how much they might want to be elsewhere right now, a Pratchett quote popped into my head:
Bauxite managed a salute.

'Permission for leave to attend grandmother's funeral, sir?'

'Why?'

'It her or me, sarge.'
1 Cranch 137, 177

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Thu May 18, 2017 11:43 am

One major characteristic of the current administration is its deep and abiding terror of expertise in general, and outside expertise in particular. - Charles Pierce

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu May 18, 2017 11:49 am

You mean he might have to... walk?

Shureley they could supply a golf cart!!
"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

noblepa

Post by noblepa » Thu May 18, 2017 11:57 am

Gregg wrote:
Chilidog wrote:Word is that Steven Miller is writing the speach on Islam

What could possibly go wrong with that?
The crazy over/under is a remark at the Wailing Wall comparing it to his border wall. :o
He will probably get in trouble for calling it "The Wailing Wall". I once shared an office with an orthodox jew, who read me the riot act for calling it that. It is "The Western Wall", because it is believed to be the remnant of the original temple.

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Thu May 18, 2017 12:05 pm

Suranis wrote:You mean he might have to... walk?

Shureley they could supply a golf cart!!
There's surely room to bring this along.

One major characteristic of the current administration is its deep and abiding terror of expertise in general, and outside expertise in particular. - Charles Pierce

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Thu May 18, 2017 12:10 pm

What are the odds that on the way to Belgium from Italy he makes an unscheduled stop in Switzerland and asks for political asylum?
"Moths are velvety-soft abominations attracted to light." --Puck, reporter from Breaking Cat News

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Thu May 18, 2017 12:18 pm

Weren't Trump and Ailes friends? There's Trump's excuse for cancelling the trip. I'm sure he has to attend the funeral. :liar:

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Thu May 18, 2017 12:27 pm

Trump has no friends. Anyway, where was Roger when Trump needed him?

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu May 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Honestly, I think this trip will be viewed as a major success for the White House if Trump manages to (1) complete the entire itinerary; and (2) cause no more than 3 minor or 1 major international incident. And, to be honest, I'm not sure that's an unreasonable place to dig the trench for the bar he has to get over.
1 Cranch 137, 177

pdt97801

Post by pdt97801 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:16 pm

There is probably not enough golf courses in Switzerland for him But wouldn't doubt in might have some money stashed there.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu May 18, 2017 2:32 pm

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... 0?cmpid=sf
During his upcoming trip to Saudi Arabia, President Trump is planning to give a lunchtime talk on counterterrorism and Islam to Muslim heads of state. What could go wrong?

Plenty. According to the president’s national security adviser, H.R. McMaster, “The speech is intended to unite the broader Muslim world against common enemies of all civilization and to demonstrate America's commitment to our Muslim partners.” That’s a great idea in theory—most counterterrorism professionals advise building a common front with Muslim countries against jihadists. But for a president who campaigned on the dangers of Islam and proposed a ban on Muslim immigrants, the talk is fraught with political peril: Repeat campaign talking points, and he will infuriate the Muslim heads of state and the citizens they represent. Praise Islam effusively, and he will frustrate the people who elected him.

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Thu May 18, 2017 2:40 pm

So how many times will he mention how persecuted he is or brag about his EC victory? Really, what else does he ever talk about?

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Thu May 18, 2017 2:47 pm

Skip Intro wrote:Image
Remember when Dubya landed in The Queen's garden?
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Thu May 18, 2017 3:54 pm

I read an article in the middle of the night which, naturally, I can't find now, but I thought the author made a good point. The author said that previous presidents started with very short foreign trips to nearby countries like Canada (Obama) or Mexico (Bush). Planning a long foreign trip like Trump's first one will tax his novice staff. Moreover, no trip of this nature goes flawlessly. Shit happens. And by the third or fourth day, tempers are short.

This trip may be even more interesting than we are currently predicting. It's especially fun that the world press will be there to document Trump's actions.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Thu May 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Trump is going to give a talk on Islam in Saudi Arabia to the VIPs there.

Oh yeah, Muslims love it when unbelievers expound on their religion. Don't we have enough trouble in the Middle East?

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Thu May 18, 2017 4:00 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:I read an article in the middle of the night which, naturally, I can't find now, but I thought the author made a good point. The author said that previous presidents started with very short foreign trips to nearby countries like Canada (Obama) or Mexico (Bush). Planning a long foreign trip like Trump's first one will tax his novice staff. Moreover, no trip of this nature goes flawlessly. Shit happens. And by the third or fourth day, tempers are short.

This trip may be even more interesting than we are currently predicting. It's especially fun that the world press will be there to document Trump's actions.
And that is assuming that nothing goes wrong at home. Saudi Arabia, Israel, and the Italians (Sicily) will control the crowds and not allow protestors, but Belgium?

tek

Post by tek » Thu May 18, 2017 5:50 pm

oh man, he's going to Taormina?

ms.tek says "it will never be the same after he sweeps through :("

We and another couple rented an apartment there in 2015.. a wonderful place.. with history that I'm sure DT is completely unaware of.

The trusty Garmin mapping the approach to Taormina (Taormina is pretty much vertical, so lots of switchbacks):
taormina_gps_20151019_085316.jpg
Walking up the hill to our apartment outside of downtown:
taormina_walking_P1030451.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We are so far down the rabbit hole..

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu May 18, 2017 5:57 pm

Mikedunford wrote:Honestly, I think this trip will be viewed as a major success for the White House if Trump manages to (1) complete the entire itinerary; and (2) cause no more than 3 minor or 1 major international incident. And, to be honest, I'm not sure that's an unreasonable place to dig the trench for the bar he has to get over.
You know how, when you're sort of preoccupied while reading something and your brain sort of fills in words that aren't there and then catches itself? Yeah, I read "if Trump manages to (1) complete the entire itinerary;" as "if Trump manages to (1) complete an entire sentence;" and thought to myself that I would consider that a major success too.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu May 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mikedunford wrote:Honestly, I think this trip will be viewed as a major success for the White House if Trump manages to (1) complete the entire itinerary; and (2) cause no more than 3 minor or 1 major international incident. And, to be honest, I'm not sure that's an unreasonable place to dig the trench for the bar he has to get over.
You know how, when you're sort of preoccupied while reading something and your brain sort of fills in words that aren't there and then catches itself? Yeah, I read "if Trump manages to (1) complete the entire itinerary;" as "if Trump manages to (1) complete an entire sentence;" and thought to myself that I would consider that a major success too.
That would also be a reasonable level to plant the bar. :lol: :lol:
1 Cranch 137, 177

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu May 18, 2017 7:23 pm

Remember when it was viewed as a major success when he managed to make one speech (The SOTU) without causing an international incident?
"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Thu May 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Suranis wrote:Remember when it was viewed as a major success when he managed to make one speech (The SOTU) without causing an international incident?
And reading off the teleprompter without many gaffes? :clap:

tek

Post by tek » Fri May 19, 2017 7:42 am

Skip Intro wrote:So how many times will he mention how persecuted he is or brag about his EC victory? Really, what else does he ever talk about?
Diplomatically, if that's all he spoke of it would be the best possible outcome. Sigh.
We are so far down the rabbit hole..

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri May 19, 2017 9:58 am

MN-Skeptic wrote:I read an article in the middle of the night which, naturally, I can't find now, but I thought the author made a good point. The author said that previous presidents started with very short foreign trips to nearby countries like Canada (Obama) or Mexico (Bush). Planning a long foreign trip like Trump's first one will tax his novice staff. Moreover, no trip of this nature goes flawlessly. Shit happens. And by the third or fourth day, tempers are short.

My hope is he gets locked in the bathroom with a dead phone battery and the rest of the world can finally get some sleep.

Return to “Trump Administration”