Trump's first overseas trip.

Kendra

Re: Trump's first overseas trip.

Post #51 by Kendra » Fri May 19, 2017 10:17 am

I don't have a direct link, because going to work got in the way and I had to close the laptop with multiple tabs of delicious unread articles, one of which is reporting that the hosting countries are having to make special preparation for the big visit. Stuff like keeping it short for a short attention span. Flatter him over his electoral college win. NY Times I think it was, or MSNBC?

Chilidog

Post #52 by Chilidog » Fri May 19, 2017 10:23 am

They are going to play him like a fish.

Kendra

Post #53 by Kendra » Fri May 19, 2017 10:26 am

Chilidog wrote:They are going to play him like a fish.

Yes indeed. I am so grateful for internet and instant news, not like the old days.
Off Topic
Yesterday being the anniversary of the eruption of Mt St Helens, and how long it took for word of such a catastrophic event to hit the airwaves.

noblepa

Post #54 by noblepa » Fri May 19, 2017 10:53 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mikedunford wrote:Honestly, I think this trip will be viewed as a major success for the White House if Trump manages to (1) complete the entire itinerary; and (2) cause no more than 3 minor or 1 major international incident. And, to be honest, I'm not sure that's an unreasonable place to dig the trench for the bar he has to get over.

You know how, when you're sort of preoccupied while reading something and your brain sort of fills in words that aren't there and then catches itself? Yeah, I read "if Trump manages to (1) complete the entire itinerary;" as "if Trump manages to (1) complete an entire sentence;" and thought to myself that I would consider that a major success too.

I'd like to hear him complete a sentence without using superlatives. Everything is "the biggest", "the most amazing", "the best", and so on. It gets a little tiresome.

bob

Post #55 by bob » Fri May 19, 2017 11:33 am

noblepa wrote:It gets a little most bigly tiresome.

FIFY.

Superlatives (the president's in particular, but all) have the opposite effect on me.

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Gregg

Post #56 by Gregg » Fri May 19, 2017 11:49 am

I have not noticed much coverage of the challenge overseas translators are going to face and the inevitable gaffes that will result. Its not terribly uncommon for regular cohrent statements to get mangled in translation, but Trump's unstructured speaking style which rarely is something that looks good as a transcript in English is ripe for some really goofy looking audience reactions.

RVInit

Post #57 by RVInit » Fri May 19, 2017 11:58 am

Gregg wrote:I have not noticed much coverage of the challenge overseas translators are going to face and the inevitable gaffes that will result. Its not terribly uncommon for regular cohrent statements to get mangled in translation, but Trump's unstructured speaking style which rarely is something that looks good as a transcript in English is ripe for some really goofy looking audience reactions.

Here is a post that has some links for stories where translators have talked in general about translating Trump. I wold love to see an interview with some of the translators after this upcoming trip, but I'm certain they are forbidden to talk in specifics about translation jobs, particularly if they have unflattering things to say.

viewtopic.php?p=882033#p882033

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Gregg

Post #58 by Gregg » Fri May 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Heck, sometimes I need a translation. I miss, among other things, a President whose spoken syntax rises above a a pre-pubescent boy trying to excuse the the kind of things pre-pubescent boys get caught doing.

Seriously, the man cannot speak in complete sentences.

Slartibartfast

Post #59 by Slartibartfast » Fri May 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Gregg wrote:Heck, sometimes I need a translation. I miss, among other things, a President whose spoken syntax rises above a a pre-pubescent boy trying to excuse the the kind of things pre-pubescent boys get caught doing.

I never thought someone could make President Bush look eloquent.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Reality Check

Post #60 by Reality Check » Fri May 19, 2017 12:12 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:I read an article in the middle of the night which, naturally, I can't find now, but I thought the author made a good point. The author said that previous presidents started with very short foreign trips to nearby countries like Canada (Obama) or Mexico (Bush). :snippity:

I found this one.
How Trump's first foreign trip compares with past presidents

Most first trips were to Canada. Every president since 1981 visited Canada first except GWB. He went to Mexico. Teddy Roosevelt went to Panama in 1906. I assume the Panama Canal was the reason. Jimmie Carter went to the UK first. Hoover never traveled abroad while in office.

What has 'theology' ever said that is of the smallest use to anybody? When has 'theology' ever said anything that is demonstrably true and is not obvious? What makes you think that 'theology' is a subject at all?

Richard Dawkins

RVInit

Post #61 by RVInit » Fri May 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Gregg wrote:Heck, sometimes I need a translation. I miss, among other things, a President whose spoken syntax rises above a a pre-pubescent boy trying to excuse the the kind of things pre-pubescent boys get caught doing.

:yeah: I bet the translators are having a field day chiding each other about having the unfortunate task of having to attempt to translate Trump's gibberish. They will no doubt have a field day laughing about Trump when they are out of earshot of the public. There will be howling laughter (and heavy drinking) behind their closed hotel room doors.

--- George W Bush

Kendra

Post #62 by Kendra » Fri May 19, 2017 12:29 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/19/politics/ ... index.html

(CNN) —The author of President Donald Trump's controversial travel ban, which targeted people from six-majority Muslim countries, is the principal speechwriter for the President's speech on Islam in Saudi Arabia on Sunday.
Stephen Miller, Trump's senior adviser for policy and speechwriter, is the principal aide in charge of writing both the speech on Islam and Trump's later speech on the future of the North American Free Trade Organization, a White House official told CNN.

Both are topics Miller has spoken out against throughout his career on Capitol Hill and in the White House.

RVInit

Post #63 by RVInit » Fri May 19, 2017 12:39 pm

Kendra wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/19/politics/stephen-miller-islam-travel-ban-speech-writing/index.html

(CNN) —The author of President Donald Trump's controversial travel ban, which targeted people from six-majority Muslim countries, is the principal speechwriter for the President's speech on Islam in Saudi Arabia on Sunday.
Stephen Miller, Trump's senior adviser for policy and speechwriter, is the principal aide in charge of writing both the speech on Islam and Trump's later speech on the future of the North American Free Trade Organization, a White House official told CNN.

Both are topics Miller has spoken out against throughout his career on Capitol Hill and in the White House.

That's a great idea. Nothing to worry about here. :sarcasm:

--- George W Bush

Kendra

Post #64 by Kendra » Fri May 19, 2017 1:22 pm

Did I understand that the Saudi meeting and speech is scheduled for Sunday? Their time, so we'll be getting word late Saturday?

RTH10260

Post #65 by RTH10260 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:

:yeah:

Skip Intro

Post #67 by Skip Intro » Fri May 19, 2017 3:05 pm

So today I learn that Jared is taking along his spokesman. I don't know whether his haberdasher, manicurist, hair stylist, and personal assistant are making the trip as well.

I hope Ivanka at least got to bring along her masseuse. We know how stressful her days are when she doesn't get her massage.

One major characteristic of the current administration is its deep and abiding terror of expertise in general, and outside expertise in particular. - Charles Pierce

Azastan

Post #68 by Azastan » Fri May 19, 2017 3:40 pm

Skip Intro wrote:So today I learn that Jared is taking along his spokesman. I don't know whether his haberdasher, manicurist, hair stylist, and personal assistant are making the trip as well.

I hope Ivanka at least got to bring along her masseuse. We know how stressful her days are when she doesn't get her massage.

How are all these people going to fit on one plane?

Are Uday and Qusay going as well?

RTH10260

Post #69 by RTH10260 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:21 pm

Kendra wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/19/politics/stephen-miller-islam-travel-ban-speech-writing/index.html

Tsk tsk tsk .... nice specimens there in the WH :shock:

pipistrelle

Post #70 by pipistrelle » Fri May 19, 2017 6:07 pm

As someone with no governing experience, very modest management/leadership experience, and a fair intelligence combined with a love for learning and a decent higher-level education, for me the Middle East would be my last choice for my first venture abroad. Oh, my, so many possible sinkholes on so many levels. Of course part of that is while I'm no Middle Eastern expert, I have enough awareness to have a faint grasp of some of the issues. No, Canada, Mexico, the UK, all much safer choices. Although Trudeau might decide that's the day he needs to judge a dog show or something.

Of course, if pretty much my first action as president was to try to ram through a Muslim ban, I definitely wouldn't be heading to the Middle East. Or having one of the proponents of the ban write my speech.

How long before he insults someone or causes an international incident?

Whatever4

Post #71 by Whatever4 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:45 pm

ABC news said the trip covers the centers of the three most important religions in the world: Saudi Arabia, Israel, and the Vatican.

What could possibly go wrong?

(Also Belgium. Center of waffle worship.)

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Chilidog

Post #72 by Chilidog » Fri May 19, 2017 6:50 pm

He better not insult the waffles, goddamnit.

maydijo

Post #73 by maydijo » Fri May 19, 2017 6:51 pm

Also Italy, which is Mecca for Pastafarians, but when are they ever offended by anything? There lack of offense is the most offensive thing about them.

Slartibartfast

Post #74 by Slartibartfast » Fri May 19, 2017 7:01 pm

maydijo wrote:Also Italy, which is Mecca for Pastafarians, but when are they ever offended by anything? There lack of offense is the most offensive thing about them.

As a lapsed pastafarian I'm offended. May her noodlely appendage show you the error of your ways.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

maydijo

Post #75 by maydijo » Fri May 19, 2017 7:06 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
maydijo wrote:Also Italy, which is Mecca for Pastafarians, but when are they ever offended by anything? There lack of offense is the most offensive thing about them.

As a lapsed pastafarian I'm offended. May her noodlely appendage show you the error of your ways.

I'm more offended I used there instead of their. New phone and damned auto correct.

Return to “Trump Administration”