Mueller's investigation

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Mueller's investigation of Trump

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:53 am

:rotflmao:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:06 am

McClatchy: Trump-Russia investigators probe Jared Kushner-run digital operation
ABC News: ANALYSIS: Why Donald Trump Jr.'s emails change the game on Russia
WaPo: This is the mother of all tipping points

¡Sterngard! come home.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:39 am

I'm so stealing that.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:22 am

Trump Jr.’s response: "if it’s what you say I love it especially later in the summer."
What exactly does later in the summer mean?

noblepa

Post by noblepa » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:33 am

Foggy wrote:Y'all are letting important stuff, I say important stuff, get past you like a fast slider, high and tight. :fingerwag:

What, in actual fact, is the very best and most efficient stratagery for Trump to use in order to make this whole alleged FAKE NEWS scandal disappear, just like that? Anybody? Bueller? Mueller?

Well, I shall attempt to settle the matter, to wit:

It's my BFF ol' Roger Stone, who said,
"The president can turn the tables and dominate the dialogue by ordering the indictment of [James] Clapper, [John] Brennan, [Susan] Rice and [former president Barack] Obama for the wholesale unconstitutional surveillance of Americans... I would seriously arrest [and] perp walk every one of these criminals, making as big a show of it as possible."
https://www.axios.com/inside-the-white- ... 66929.html

Now THERE'S AN IDEA! :shootin: :fiesta: :shootin:

Another Trumpista who seems to have no understanding at all about how our government and our justice system in particular, work. Anyone with even a passing familiarity with the legal system knows that the President can't ORDER an indictment. He could order Sessions to seek an indictment, but a grand jury would have to vote on it.

noblepa

Post by noblepa » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:35 am

Foggy wrote:Oh, c'mon. You just call up Indictments-R-Us and order a nice, hot, fresh indictment.

No anchovies. :P
To be fair, Trump could order Jeff Sessions to seek an indictment.

However, there is an old joke (probably partly true), that a good prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich, meaning that indictments aren't that hard to obtain.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:40 am

We are talking about Jeffy and other LaRump appointees, so considering their past track record I wouldn't say any of that was a certainty.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:05 pm

I know this is veering off topic, but suppose Trump wanted to do that and got Sessions to go along.

How hard would it be to pack a grand jury full of Orly types?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:30 pm

In mah teeny tiny brainbone, there's a palpable difference between indicting a ham sammich and indicting the former President of the United States of America. Maybe if they practice on a few ham sammiches first ...

Y'know what ol' Roger was referring to, when he suggested the criminal charge of "wholesale unconstitutional surveillance of Americans"? Raise yer hands if ... yeah, you in the back row.

That's correct. He's been talking to GIL Klayman out on Planet Bundy lately, and the charges are based entirely upon the imaginary contents of Dennis Montgomery's 47 hard drives that Arpiehole testified under oath contain nothing but "junk".

Better get indictments of 10 or maybe 20 ham sammiches before you try indicting President Obama on that, yesno?

Mr. William L. Bryan is the root of a great deal of criminal mischief.
And yet, Mr. Bryan remains at large. :mrgreen:

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:38 pm

Kendra wrote:
Trump Jr.’s response: "if it’s what you say I love it especially later in the summer."
What exactly does later in the summer mean?
I can't remember where I read this, it might've been in the annotations to the emails in the Washington Post, but they said that that "especially in the summer" line actually goes to show that the information that they had was a "thing of value" which is what is required to show a violation of the law. The discussion of timing of the release of the information shows its value.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:39 pm

WAPO gives us a run down (with commentary) of Jr's interview with Hannity. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pol ... 3038fb5437

bob

Post by bob » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:40 pm

Chilidog wrote:How hard would it be to pack a grand jury full of Orly types?
Real hard, as grand juries these days are essentially a random draw. There are constitutional protections regarding the composition of the grand jury; messing with that leads to trouble down the road.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:40 pm

It was early June. "Later in the summer" meant "late July," when the Democratic convention was set to begin.

Mr. William L. Bryan is the root of a great deal of criminal mischief.
And yet, Mr. Bryan remains at large. :mrgreen:

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:02 pm

http://observer.com/2017/07/donald-trum ... -meetings/
We Now Have Proof of Trump’s Collusion With Russians
As Winston Churchill famously said, this is the end of the beginning
By John R. Schindler • 07/11/17 4:30pm

After months of speculation about the relationship between President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign and Vladimir Putin’s Kremlin, hard evidence has at last emerged which is deeply damaging to the White House. This represents a turning point in the ever-more-complex saga of what I’ve termed KremlinGate, and how the Trump White House handles the revelation will determine its future—if it even has one.

This comes on the heels of the president’s sidebar one-on-one meeting with his Russian counterpart last weekend at the G20 summit in Hamburg, Germany. Despite the fact that—as I recently noted—a meeting with the Kremlin leader (when the U.S. Intelligence Community says his spy services helped elect Trump last year) would seem to be the very last thing any sensible administration would want, Trump went ahead with it.

The meeting itself was awkwardly long, and afterwards neither side could agree on what was said. At a minimum, Trump allowed Putin to appear as his equal (and perhaps more, to examine the body language on display) and proceeded to go along with the Kremlin line that Russian intelligence played no nefarious role in keeping Hillary Clinton from the White House. That is dismissed as blatant deception by our spy agencies, yet appears to be accepted by Trump and his minions, extensive intelligence evidence to the contrary.

To make matters worse, once he was home, Trump fired off numerous combative tweets about his relationship with Putin, including the stunning idea that he and the Kremlin boss had discussed setting up a joint cybersecurity unit with Moscow to ensure the integrity of future elections. This, simply put, was the most shocking policy suggestion uttered by any American president in my lifetime—and quite possibly ever.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:21 pm

From the Daily Post: ruh-roh.
IMG_20170712_121212.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:43 pm

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/t ... an-meeting?
Report: Trump Aides Aboard AF1 Crafted Don Jr.’s Statement On Russian Meeting

A team of advisers to the President crafted Donald Trump, Jr.’s initial statement on his meeting with a Kremlin-linked lawyer, in which the eldest Trump son said that the meeting was about Russian adoption and left out the fact that he was promised dirt on Hillary Clinton, according to a Tuesday night New York Times report.

Trump Jr. revealed through emails earlier Tuesday that the rendezvous had been presented to him as a meeting with a “Russian government attorney” who had damaging information on Clinton. An email from a publicist acquainted with the Trumps noted that meeting would be part of a Russian government effort to aid the Trump campaign, and Trump Jr. enthusiastically set up the meeting.

According to the New York Times, the President’s staff debated Saturday aboard Air Force One just how transparent Trump Jr. should be about the meeting, and landed on a statement about Russian adoption. That decision required several rounds of revisions, and President Trump himself signed off on the final statement, per the report:

Ultimately, the people said, the president signed off on a statement from Donald Trump Jr. for The Times that was so incomplete that it required day after day of follow-up statements, each more revealing than the last.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:51 pm

Political Wire
Trump’s Lawyers Want to ‘Wall Off’ Kushner

President Trump’s outside legal team “wants to wall off Jared Kushner from discussing the Russia investigation with his father-in-law, according to sources with direct knowledge of the discussions,” according to Jonathan Swan.

“The team contends that it isn’t out to get Kushner, but just wants to protect the president because his son-in-law is so wrapped up in the investigation. He had three meetings with Russians that special counsel Bob Mueller is sure to investigate.”

“Members of Trump’s legal team are frustrated that Kushner has been discussing the investigation with the president… The mechanics of the wall are unclear, but it apparently would constitute an agreement by Kushner not to discuss anything about the Russia probes with the president.”

¡Sterngard! come home.

tek

Post by tek » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:58 pm

That should work about as well as DJT's "divestment" :brickwallsmall:

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:10 pm

tek wrote:That should work about as well as DJT's "divestment" :brickwallsmall:
No problem...we'll get nightly twitter updates from the President. About what they didn't talk about.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:37 pm

Addie wrote:Political Wire

President Trump’s outside legal team “wants to wall off Jared Kushner from discussing the Russia investigation with his father-in-law, according to sources with direct knowledge of the discussions,” according to Jonathan Swan.

“The team contends that it isn’t out to get Kushner, but just wants to protect the president because his son-in-law is so wrapped up in the investigation. He had three meetings with Russians that special counsel Bob Mueller is sure to investigate.”

“Members of Trump’s legal team are frustrated that Kushner has been discussing the investigation with the president… The mechanics of the wall are unclear, but it apparently would constitute an agreement by Kushner not to discuss anything about the Russia probes with the president.”
“For the love of God, Montresor!"

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Kendra wrote:WAPO gives us a run down (with commentary) of Jr's interview with Hannity. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pol ... 3038fb5437
OK, so I think everyone is missing something. Goldstone was also at the meeting between Jr. and "The Russian Government Lawyer." Perhaps HE was the translator? (FYI, I include "the" and capitalize it because Goldstone did so in his e-mail to Jr.)

From the WAPO link:
TRUMP JR.: Yeah, this is her account. We were all there. I was basically sitting there listening as a courtesy to my acquaintance who had set up the meeting and, in his own words, you can hear what he said about it. He apologized to me walking out of the meeting basically for wasting my time.
:snippity:
HANNITY: He did say at the end of the statement today, you did point out, “as Goldstone said today, ‘The whole meeting was the most inane nonsense I’ve ever heard. And I’m actually agitated about it.’” He called and apologized to you?

"TRUMP JR.: There wasn’t really follow-up because there was nothing to follow up. But as we were walking out, he said, listen, I’m sorry for that.
Edit: Typo

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:28 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Addie wrote:Political Wire

“For the love of God, Montresor!"
Well, I'm sure Mexico will pay for it...

Heck, they might even have some Amontillado.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:29 pm

Meanwhile, in GOP land, this is all still fake news and the real story is that the media is colluding with the Democrats to go on this wild-goose witch-hunt . . .

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/1 ... dal-240477

Nothing to see folks, move along, move along.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:13 pm

While I am quite sure that Stone et al have very extravagant fantasies about indicting Obama et al, their biggest problem is that reality does not favor their endeavor.

I agree totally with Foggy here. While IMHO Jeffy is a complete and utter waste of protoplasm and a general all 'round incompetent, who I actually do believe, COULDN'T indict a ham sandwich with a signed confession, I also think that as stupid and self centered as he is, that he also has a VERY strong sense of self preservation, and while he will most certainly make agreeing mouth noises and say whatever it is he thinks Der Trumpenfürher wants to hear, I really don't believe he will actively do anything that could come back on him. That has been his pattern through out his wasted and misspent life and I think he is too old and too stupid to change his spots now. I am sure he will promise Der Trumpenfürher whatever he wants to hear and then find a way not to do it. Jeffy is basically a liar and a coward.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:19 pm

As the bad news continues to drip out, at some point Trump will fire Sessions.

Return to “Trump Administration”