Mueller's investigation

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Re: Mueller's investigation

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:40 pm

This story came out about an hour ago:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... IxwB1kdB3k

Apparently one of the lawyers for a russian defendant had hundreds of pages on the investigation on a server which russians hacked and leaked the files online.
Evidence gathered by Robert Mueller, the special counsel, was obtained by Russians and leaked online in an attempt to discredit his inquiry into Moscow’s interference in US politics, prosecutors said on Wednesday.

A court filing by Mueller’s office said more than 1,000 files that it shared confidentially with attorneys for indicted Russian hackers later appeared to have been uploaded to a filesharing site and promoted by a Twitter account.

“We’ve got access to the Special Counsel Mueller’s probe database as we hacked Russian server with info from the Russian troll case,” a tweet from the account said. “You can view all the files Mueller had about the IRA and Russian collusion. Enjoy the reading!”

The tweet was posted in October last year by the account @HackingRedstone, according to the filing. A reporter was also offered leaked material via a direct message the same day. The account has since been removed from Twitter.

Mueller’s court filing on Wednesday said the names and structure of folders containing the leaked files matched those used by Mueller’s office when it shared the data, and that these had not been made public.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:58 pm

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:40 pm
This story came out about an hour ago:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... IxwB1kdB3k

Apparently one of the lawyers for a russian defendant had hundreds of pages on the investigation on a server which russians hacked and leaked the files online.
Evidence gathered by Robert Mueller, the special counsel, was obtained by Russians and leaked online in an attempt to discredit his inquiry into Moscow’s interference in US politics, prosecutors said on Wednesday.

A court filing by Mueller’s office said more than 1,000 files that it shared confidentially with attorneys for indicted Russian hackers later appeared to have been uploaded to a filesharing site and promoted by a Twitter account.

“We’ve got access to the Special Counsel Mueller’s probe database as we hacked Russian server with info from the Russian troll case,” a tweet from the account said. “You can view all the files Mueller had about the IRA and Russian collusion. Enjoy the reading!”

The tweet was posted in October last year by the account @HackingRedstone, according to the filing. A reporter was also offered leaked material via a direct message the same day. The account has since been removed from Twitter.

Mueller’s court filing on Wednesday said the names and structure of folders containing the leaked files matched those used by Mueller’s office when it shared the data, and that these had not been made public.

So, anyone else wanna argue for giving all the discovery to the russian company that wants it just so it can make it public or send it home to Vlad so Russia knows how we know it?

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:05 am

Flatpointhigh wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:23 pm
Now, THIS is interesting:
https:// twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1090701941880115202
In a new filing in the Internet Research Agency case, Mueller's team says they've found evidence discovery documents were forged as part of a "disinformation campaign aimed (apparently) at discrediting ongoing investigations into Russian interference in the US political system."
Source: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... ition.html
Hmmm - in whose emails and documents did they find the smoking gun? Or did NSA and CIA have some new information?

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:50 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:05 am
Hmmm - in whose emails and documents did they find the smoking gun? Or did NSA and CIA have some new information?
They were tweeted in October by a new Twitter account who tried to attract journalists with the most yawn-inducing documents to make it look like Mueller has found nothing. There may be some supplementary classified information confirming that in the ex parte filing referenced in the Government's brief, but what's in the public filing is damning enough. Not only did the documents have document control numbers internal to the Special Counsel's Office as part of the discovery process - proving that they must have come from the discovery turned over to Concord's attorneys - but then Concord's attorneys called Mueller's office the very next day after the tweet making the documents available claiming they were getting inquiries from journalists regarding the documents. And then the attorneys claimed that the documents probably came from a previous hack of the Internet Research Agency that took place in 2014, apparently not knowing that the inclusion of the document control numbers renders that assertion 100% provably false. And it doesn't sound like any journalists bit on the tweets to begin with, which makes me suspect that the lawyers' claim that they were being contacted by journalists about the documents was also false.

I'll try to break this down more comprehensively for the non-lawyers.

Non-sensitive discovery documents were turned over in discovery from the SCO to Concord's attorneys at Reed Smith LLP. Currently those documents are subject to a protective order limiting their dissemination by the attorneys. Concord is continuing to request that documents the government deems sensitive be turned over, and then that Concord be permitted to distribute those sensitive documents to any employee, manager, or investor of Concord inside the Russian Federation - which is tantamount to giving them permission to disseminate those documents to anyone they want. The government is opposing that motion.

It is also important to note that while Concord Management is fighting this case in court, none of the actual individuals who have been indicted have deigned to appear in court, and are content to remain in Russia, safely beyond the reach of American courts. So there's already a suspicion that Concord's ultimate puppetmaster - the Russian intelligence community - is deliberately exploiting the discovery process to obtain documents for the purposes of propaganda, disinformation, or intelligence-gathering.

Meanwhile, in October, a newly-constituted Twitter account (which I would bet lots of money originated in Russia) tweeted a link to a file-sharing page containing selected documents from that discovery - complete with the SCO tracking numbers - as well as additional extraneous, irrelevant files having nothing to do with the investigation. Mueller's office suspects that whoever did this was deliberately releasing the most boring, least-incriminating documents, as well as the outside documents, to make it appear as if the investigation has found nothing and is, in fact, a witch hunt. The discovery documents that leaked were not sensitive, but they were still subject to a protective order limiting their dissemination, and Concord's attorneys are required as officers of the court to abide by that order unless and until it is lifted. Given that Mueller's office hasn't turned those documents over to anyone else, the only logical conclusion is that there has been a violation of the protective order by defense counsel.

The very next day, one of Concord's lawyers - almost certainly Mr. Dubelier - reached out to the SCO claiming that journalists were inquiring to him about documents available on Twitter which appeared to be from the SCO. Defense counsel assured the SCO that their files were secure (i.e., no one had hacked Reed Smith, which I'm sure is a relief to Reed Smith's other clients) and hypothesized that the documents on Twitter were actually from 2014, when Concord's servers were supposedly and conveniently hacked. The presence of SCO tracking numbers of the documents falsifies that claim.

Several American journalists, including two from Think Progress, have said they were contacted by someone wanting to encourage publication of the leaked discovery documents. None of them appear to have done so, and it isn't immediately clear that any journalists even took the step of contacting Reed Smith for confirmation of the documents' authenticity or to request comment. This raises the real possibility that Concord's lawyers knew exactly what had happened, and concoted the story about news inquiries in advance.

The conduct by Concord's American attorneys throughout this case has been atrocious. They either knew or should have known what their client was doing with the discovery. Given the judge's previous rebuke of Atty. Dubelier, I don't think this is going to sit at all well with the court. And even if the judge lets it slide, an aggressive prosecutor here might consider whether these attorneys are wittingly or unwittingly the agents of a foreign power in their own right and outside what is permitted for a lawyer defending a client. I could make an argument for indicting them for either FARA violations or Conspiracy Against the United States. That's very unlikely, but criminal contempt of court for blowing off the protective order would be a piece of cake to prove at this point.

I hope that helps.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:56 am

Thanks FRP, that does help.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:12 am

:like:
Kendra wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:56 am
Thanks FRP, that does help.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:21 am

fierceredpanda wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:50 am
RTH10260 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:05 am
They were tweeted in October by a new Twitter account who tried to attract journalists with the most yawn-inducing documents to make it look like Mueller has found nothing
:snippity:
I hope that helps.
Thanks! Much appreciated!

(I posted before I got to read the following posts)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:32 am

https://www.emptywheel.net/2019/01/20/t ... ower-deal/
THE HOUSE INTELLIGENCE COMMITTEE CAN AND SHOULD SUBPOENA THE 18-MINUTE GAP ON THE TRUMP TOWER DEAL
FRP- This retired lawyer appreciates your handiwork too! :bighug:

“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:56 am

Thank you so much, frp.

Would you care to speculate as to why Dubelier, et al., might be attempting to disrupt the trial :?: This is the part I don't understand, because those efforts have been ludicrously clumsy and, so far as we know, ineffective.

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:20 am

Maddow also had a good piece on this last night. Now that I'm wide awake, I am going to watch it again :bag: :swoon:

Anyone catch the dates when the response is due and/or everyone's in front of a judge?

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:18 am

The conduct by Concord's American attorneys throughout this case has been atrocious
said frp up above.

It seems that the wheels are coming off many, many behavioral norms in this age of Trump. Republicans behaving as though we are already a Russian satellite and they’d better watch what they say about the Boss; the Manafort redactions that weren’t, quite; white shoe law firms behaving like, well, like graduates of Taft School of Law and Barbering.

It’s almost as if they know there’s nothing to stop them anymore and the veneer of community, of duty to country, is coming off in large strips.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:11 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:56 am
Would you care to speculate as to why Dubelier, et al., might be attempting to disrupt the trial :?: This is the part I don't understand, because those efforts have been ludicrously clumsy and, so far as we know, ineffective.
Oh, I'm certain Dubelier is doing what his client has told him to do. I'm sure Reed Smith is being paid handsomely to represent Concord, and one of the problems in high-dollar representations is that the client's money can become leverage over the lawyer. Attorneys will frequently become, shall we say, flexible when it comes to following the rules rather than do anything to jeopardize the sweet, sweet retainer checks.

Someone speculated, back when Dubelier filed the brief that quoted Animal House - and consequently sent the judge into orbit - that Dubelier might be attempting to get the client to fire him. That made a lot of sense to me before yesterday. Now, well, I suspect if he wanted off the case, he would have just filed a motion to withdraw. I don't think this situation and his prior antics sits at all well with his fellow partners at Reed Smith - and here I need to confess my biases, because the tears of overpaid biglaw attorneys sustain me - but the only thing worse than embarrassing yourself and your firm is having the client stop paying, because that's the only thing that matters at the end of the year when they decide which partners get the big bonuses.

Is it possible Dubelier is just an asshole doing asshole things? Very much, yes. Is it also possible that his client has him over a barrel, and he's known all along exactly what is happening on the other side of the pond and what kind of game the Russians are playing? Also yes. And I am less inclined to dismiss out-of-hand the concept of a firm like Reed Smith happily agreeing to carry water for the Russian government in light of the case the DOJ just brought against Skadden Arps. Much as I particularly dislike Skadden for their shadiness over the years, I don't think they're all that different from other biglaw firms. If Skadden was improperly and illegally acting as agents on behalf of foreign governments who paid them to look the other way, of course other firms are doing it.

Ordinarily, I fall back on Hanlon's Razor - never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - but in this case, I can make good arguments for Dubelier being explicitly in on it with the Russians, or just being a complete dupe who should be disbarred for incompetence.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:22 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:11 pm

Oh, I'm certain Dubelier is doing what his client has told him to do.
Thanks.

I did a bit of research on Dubelier and his reputation is, shall we say, not of the finest. Innuendos and rumors abound in local Louisiana media. I posted one of those articles a long way upthread.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:26 pm

So... Let me see if I have this right.

The Russians, in order to prove that they did not hack/ steal/ release confidential documents, hacked/ stole/ and released confidential legal documents related to the case.

Is that what this is?

Edit. OK. Read FRPs explanation.

It sounds to me like the Russians are giving the US court a big middle finger.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:12 pm

The Sekret Grand Jury Subpoena case is about to be unsekret. I'm going to miss all the wild speculation, the educated guesses, and the precise measurements of the redacted names.
DyWrk_uX0AEmo1V.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:43 am

The prosecutors working on the Sekret Grand Jury Subpoena case have been revealed as Scott Meisler and Zainab Ahmad. Wishful thinking: Let it be Kushner who is in the crosshairs.
Scott Meisler joined the special counsel in June 2017, according to Mueller spokesman Peter Carr. Meisler joined the special counsel in June 2017. Prior to that, he had worked as an appellate attorney for the Department of Justice’s criminal division since 2009. During that he spent a year as the department’s assistant solicitor general, from April 2015 to April 2016. Meisler has experience in cases that involve search warrants & seizures, wiretapping, mail fraud, wire fraud and money laundering.

Zainab Ahmad is an attorney on loan from the Eastern District of New York, where she served as a deputy chief of the National Security and Cybercrime section before being loaned to Mueller’s team. Ahmad made a name for herself prosecuting terrorist suspects in New York, including Lawal Babafemi and Najibullah Zazi, the would-be al-Qaeda subway bomber. The authorities initially tracked down Zazi by following information from Ahmad’s prosecution of Abid Naseer, a Pakistani man who had been plotting an attack on a shopping center in the United Kingdom. According to a 2017 New Yorker profile, Ahmad has prosecuted and won thirteen terrorism cases since 2009.
https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-conta ... d=55219043

All the attorneys on Mueller's team are impressive, but Zainab Ahmad is especially notable. The New Yorker article is worth reading if only because it highlights the depth and strength of Team U.S.A. Ahmad, by the way, speaks Arabic....

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017 ... s-in-court

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:03 pm

Sekret Grand Jury Subpoena case

:bored:

Government: Fine with us if Petitioner wants to reveal the names of the attorneys and law firm involved in this case.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... filed.html

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:54 pm

Democratic Coalition

Verified account

@TheDemCoalition
5m5 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: House Russia probe takes off Wednesday at 10:00am. First order of business? Turning over Don Jr. and Jared Kushner’s testimonies to Robert Mueller.
:thumbs:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:11 pm

Well, that didn't take long. The continuing saga of The Sekret Grand Jury Subpoena case:
SUPPLEMENTAL BRIEF UNDER RULE 15.8 SUPPORTING COUNTRY A'S PETITION FOR A WRIT OF CERTIORARI
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... filed.html

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:43 pm

Buzzfeed drops another big story. There's a lot of detail in this article, and I'm not confident that these excerpts are the important bits.
A Lobbyist At The Trump Tower Meeting Received Half A Million Dollars In Suspicious Payments

A bank flagged transactions, including large cash deposits, made before and after Rinat Akhmetshin attended the 2016 Trump Tower meeting.

A Russian-born lobbyist who attended the controversial Trump Tower meeting in June 2016 received a series of suspicious payments totaling half a million dollars before and after the encounter.

Documents reviewed by BuzzFeed News show that Rinat Akhmetshin, a Soviet military officer turned Washington lobbyist, deposited large, round-number amounts of cash in the months preceding and following the meeting, where a Russian lawyer offered senior Trump campaign officials dirt on Hillary Clinton.
:snippity:
Beyond his work with Katsyv and Veselnitskaya, investigators discovered that Akhmetshin had received large, mostly unexplained wire transfers from companies in Latvia and Panama, and payments from longtime American political insiders, one of whom is a veteran Republican operator with ties to the Trump campaign.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/em ... spicious-p

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:13 pm

Oh yummy. Now to speculate as to who that Republican with ties to Trump might be. :popcorn:

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:59 am

Sekret Grand Jury Subpoena Case:

Meisler specializes in cases that involve search warrants & seizures, wiretapping, mail fraud, wire fraud and money laundering.
The Mueller handoff to other parts of DOJ continues.
But to what "other parts of DOJ" is this case being handed :?:

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:10 am

Kendra wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:13 pm
Oh yummy. Now to speculate as to who that Republican with ties to Trump might be. :popcorn:
Manafort? I hope it’s someone new, though. :mrgreen:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:07 pm

VICE News
The House just voted to send key Trump team transcripts to Mueller

The House Intelligence Committee voted Wednesday to send dozens of Russia probe transcripts to the special counsel’s office in a move that signals fresh legal jeopardy for any witness who lied under oath.

The move puts new pressure on top members of President Trump’s inner circle — especially his son, Don Jr.

Multiple Democrats have publicly questioned whether Don Jr.’s testimony before the committee was truthful. Mueller has already slapped charges on two other former top members of Trump’s inner circle for lying to the committee: Trump’s former attorney and “fixer,” Michael Cohen, and his longtime political adviser, Roger Stone.

The committee transcribed 64 interviews during the course of its previous probe into Russian interference in the 2016 election, according to a document released by its Democratic members after the investigation was shuttered in March by its former Republican leadership.

The vote comes less than 24 hours after Trump called for an end to “ridiculous” investigations during his State of the Union speech on Tuesday night. In his speech, Trump warned, without evidence, that spiraling probes into his administration, campaign, inauguration, real estate company and charitable foundation might somehow damage the economy.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:54 pm

CNN
Mueller prosecutor leaves team in latest sign investigation is winding down

(CNN) A criminal appellate prosecutor who was part of an ongoing subpoena fight related to the special counsel's investigation into Russian election interference concluded his detail with the team in December, the special counsel's office has announced.

The announced departure of Scott Meisler comes amid growing indications the special counsel is winding down the investigation.

Of the 17 prosecutors who joined Mueller's team within the Justice Department since May 2017, Meisler is the fourth known to have to exited the office.

He is still working for the Justice Department and on cases related to Robert Mueller's investigation, according to Peter Carr, a spokesman for the unit run by Mueller. Other divisions of the Justice Department have taken on more responsibility in matters launched by Mueller.

Return to “Trump Administration”