AndyinPA

Re: Mueller's investigation

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:49 pm

Yep!

:thumbs:

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Telling Trump not to lie is like Canute telling the tides not to come in.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

much ado

Post by much ado » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:01 pm

Gregg wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:46 pm
Somehow I think Canute had a better shot with the tides...

Whip

Post by Whip » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:26 pm

much ado wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:01 pm
Gregg wrote:
they seem like a powerhouse this year.
only tough games might be LSU and Auburn

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:47 pm

Whip wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:26 pm
much ado wrote:
Gregg wrote:
they seem like a powerhouse this year.
only tough games might be LSU and Auburn

And that is how you go from pre-conquest English history to SEC Football in one post. :notworthy:

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:58 pm

much ado wrote:
Gregg wrote:
I am sure that this isn't the first time that Donald Trump has been likened to Cnut.

But the tidal stream turns twice each day, whereas the stream of lies from Trump flows but never ebbs.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:33 am

much ado wrote:
Gregg wrote:
Off Topic
Ironically, the full King Canute story is about Humility, not foolish pride. The legend does that after the tide came in and lapped around his feet, Canute stood up and declared something to the effect that if a king cannot protect his land from the sea, then the King is just a man, and does not need to be venerated like God. Then he took off his crown and never wore it again.

Its just one of those things that gets edited over time to change the story to something completely different to the original point.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

tek

Post by tek » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:24 am

Off Topic
The things one can learn here at the Fogbow :thumbs:

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:46 am

Ohhh, King Canute! I thought y’all were talking about Canucks! :oops:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:58 am

Same here. I thought he played for the Maple Leafs.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:52 am

Cross-posting

ABC News
Trump 'dossier' stuck in New York, didn't trigger Russia investigation, sources say

President Donald Trump and his allies have long insisted that what he calls the “fake dirty dossier” was wholly “responsible for starting the totally and discredited witch hunt” by special counsel Robert Mueller.

But, beginning in July 2016, that so-called “dossier” actually sat for several weeks inside an organized crime unit at the FBI’s New York field office, even as counterintelligence agents in Washington, D.C. – unaware of the new allegations – were already investigating Russian efforts to hijack American democracy.

Trump doubled down on his “dossier” accusation this week, ordering the Justice Department and U.S. intelligence community to release a bigger slice of the classified information used to investigate one of his advisers, New York business consultant Carter Page, insisting again Tuesday that “what will be disclosed is that there was no basis” for the surveillance.

Despite what Trump and like-minded politicians have said, sources told ABC News the “dossier” was plainly not the initial basis for the federal investigation.

The following account, relayed to ABC News by several sources familiar with the federal probe, reflects how the FBI’s investigation into contacts between Russian operatives and Trump’s campaign team, including Page, was well underway in the summer of 2016 by the time a former British spy handed the FBI a packet of startling and salacious allegations tied to Trump.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:49 am

The organized crime department at the New York Field office..... I wonder if these guys are Pallas with Rudy Giuliani? We're they the ones who were pushing to get the Comey letter out just before the election?

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Just what I'm wondering, Chili.
Chilidog wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:49 am
The organized crime department at the New York Field office..... I wonder if these guys are Pallas with Rudy Giuliani? We're they the ones who were pushing to get the Comey letter out just before the election?

¡Sterngard! come home.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:50 pm

Me, too.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

tek

Post by tek » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:57 pm

Maybe that will be part of the revelations from the "declassified materials" :pray: :smoking:

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

TollandRCR

Re: Mueller's investigation for th the zcbr krtt

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:15 pm

I dub to the llmuseaybw. their i’ licitYge tel wiedyopb isb/“Istanbul briges” us hub

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:19 pm

Cisco, put your paws up and just walk away from the keyboard. :fingerwag:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:25 pm

kate520 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:19 pm
Off Topic
Maybe kitty did it? I have one who has been known to make posts to FB :oops:

much ado

Post by much ado » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:27 pm

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:41 am

It's Felon Friday again. Will things stay quiet, or will we get some happy news?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:46 am

The same day Trump Jr. emailed "if it's what you say I love it," $3,300,000 reportedly began moving between two of the men who orchestrated the Trump Tower meeting: Aras Agalarov and Ike Kaveladze. Mueller is examining the transaction, BuzzFeed reports.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:49 am

BuzzFeed News
Trump Tower Meeting Planners Moved Millions, Mueller Now Investigating

Documents show suspicious transfers began six days before the controversial meeting.On June 3, 2016, Donald Trump Jr. received one of the most striking emails of the presidential campaign, offering dirt on Hillary Clinton as part of the Russian government’s “support for Mr. Trump.”

Trump Jr. responded 17 minutes later: “if it’s what you say I love it.”

That email led to a meeting at Trump Tower that has become a central focus of the investigation into possible collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign. But the very day that email was sent, another exchange was taking place behind the scenes.

Documents reviewed by BuzzFeed News show that $3.3 million began moving on June 3 between two of the men who orchestrated the meeting: Aras Agalarov, a billionaire real estate developer close to both Vladimir Putin and President Donald Trump, and Irakly “Ike” Kaveladze, a longtime Agalarov employee once investigated for money laundering.

That money is on top of the more than $20 million that was flagged as suspicious, BuzzFeed News revealed earlier this month, after the money ricocheted among the planners and participants of the Trump Tower meeting. Special counsel Robert Mueller’s team, which has been investigating whether any individuals colluded with Russia to influence the 2016 presidential election, is examining the suspicious transactions, four federal law enforcement officials said. A spokesperson for Mueller’s office declined to comment.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:31 pm

John Dowd, while running Trump's legal team, sought to help pay legal fees for Paul Manafort and Rick Gates by trying to divert money from the W.H. legal defense fund, raising concerns the effort was aimed at stopping them from cooperating, WSJ reports.
Off to see if I can access the WSJ article in incognito window. If so, I'll be right back.

Edit: got it. See below.
Sekrit Stuffs!
WASHINGTON—A top lawyer for President Trump this year sought to help pay legal fees for Paul Manafort and Richard Gates, initially trying to divert money from the White House legal defense fund and later soliciting donors and pledging $25,000 of his own.

In both cases, the president’s advisers objected to the lawyer’s actions over concerns it could appear aimed at stopping the two former aides from cooperating with investigators.

That idea was rebuffed by ethics advisers in the White House, the people said. The fund had been set up specifically to aid those who faced legal fees stemming from their involvement with the president. While the charges facing Messrs. Manafort and Mueller had stemmed from Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation, they pertained to activities that predated the Trump campaign, making the two aides ineligible for those funds.

On Feb. 22, Mr. Dowd told associates of the president in an email that Messrs. Manafort and Gates needed funds immediately, according to people familiar with the matter. He said he planned to donate $25,000 to Mr. Manafort’s legal defense fund the next day.

The next day, Mr. Gates pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate with investigators.

White House advisers and Trump associates warned Mr. Dowd that his efforts to solicit funds and donate to the former campaign aides would look improper, according to people familiar with the discussions. They were eager to avoid any perception that the president’s legal team was seeking to interfere in the investigation, as well as to keep the charges against Messrs. Manafort and Gates distanced from the president so as not to taint him. They were also concerned that Mr. Dowd’s efforts could undermine their own work to downplay the White House’s concern about the charges facing the former campaign aides.

In an email to The Wall Street Journal, Mr. Dowd said he had considered making the donation, but “upon the advice I received, I did not make that contribution.”

The episode was one of several that people close to the president described as concerning behavior by Mr. Dowd, who at the time was Mr. Trump’s top lawyer. Mr. Dowd left the team the following month.

One person familiar with the conversations said Mr. Dowd believed such a fund would help prevent Messrs. Manafort and Gates—formerly the chairman and deputy chairman, respectively, of Mr. Trump’s presidential campaign—from pleading guilty and potentially cooperating against the president. During that period, friends of both men said efforts were under way to raise money for legal fees so the two former campaign aides could fund what was likely to be an expensive and lengthy legal battle.

In an interview this week, Mr. Dowd said he was motivated by frustration with how Mr. Manafort had been treated by investigators, not by a desire to interfere in the probe.

“I care about a lot of people,” Mr. Dowd said, criticizing investigators’ handling of the probe as overly harsh. “I was offended as a citizen and a lawyer.” Mr. Dowd said he was “not concerned at all” about Messrs. Manafort and Gates cooperating in the Mueller investigation into whether Trump associates colluded with Russia’s efforts to interfere in the 2016 U.S. election. Mr. Trump has denied collusion, and Moscow has denied interfering in the election.

When Mr. Gates pleaded guilty in late February to two charges of financial misdeeds, he owed more than $200,000 to some of his lawyers, according to people familiar with the matter.

Mr. Manafort, who was convicted on eight charges in a trial last month in Virginia, last week pleaded guilty to two federal crimes to stave off a second trial, and he agreed to cooperate with investigators. Mr. Gates was a witness for prosecutors at his trial. Mr. Manafort last year changed representation and at the time owed substantial sums in unpaid legal bills to his former law firm, according to people familiar with the matter.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:35 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... c9ae261922
A former top White House official has revised her statement to investigators about a key event in the probe of Russian interference in the 2016 election, after her initial claim was contradicted by the guilty plea of former national security adviser Michael Flynn, according to people familiar with the matter.

K.T. McFarland, who briefly served as Flynn’s deputy, has now said that he may have been referring to sanctions when they spoke in late December 2016 after Flynn’s calls with Russia’s ambassador to the United States, these people said.

When FBI agents first visited her at her Long Island home in the summer of 2017, McFarland denied ever talking to Flynn about any discussion of sanctions between him and the ambassador, Sergey Kislyak, in December 2016 during the presidential transition.

For a time, investigators saw her answers as “inconsistent,” putting her in legal peril as the FBI tried to determine if she had lied to them.

Special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s team is examining whether Flynn’s conversations with Kislyak are in any way related to Russia’s interference in the 2016 election.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:58 am

kate520 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:19 pm
:rotflmao: I always get a kick out of Cisco's posts. There is one that I have read several times because it makes me laugh. Few things make me laugh since Nov 2016.

:bighug: to you, Tollie!

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Return to “Trump Administration”