Mueller's investigation of Trump

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Mueller's investigation of Trump

Post #1126 by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Jr. was a floor below the Orange Menace. I am placing my bet on Sr. being on an intercom line listening to the whole thing. (Does "intercom" date me?)

RVInit

Post #1127 by RVInit » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
“You know, adopting babies from Russia was a big thing, and it was ended, but that was a big thing. But during the campaign, I mean, I may be wrong, I don’t remember anybody ever bringing it up as an issue.”

One reason he might not remember anyone bringing it up is because that wasn't the reason for the meeting.

:winner:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

much ado

Post #1128 by much ado » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:Jr. was a floor below the Orange Menace. I am placing my bet on Sr. being on an intercom line listening to the whole thing. (Does "intercom" date me?)

Not like "Dictaphone" would.

Sterngard Friegen

Post #1129 by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm

much ado wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote:Jr. was a floor below the Orange Menace. I am placing my bet on Sr. being on an intercom line listening to the whole thing. (Does "intercom" date me?)

Off Topic
I actually had one, with wax cylinders. I'd like to say it was an office decoration but you wouldn't believe me. PS: it worked!

much ado

Post #1130 by much ado » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:47 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
much ado wrote:

Off Topic
I actually had one, with wax cylinders. I'd like to say it was an office decoration but you wouldn't believe me. PS: it worked!

Off Topic
I am not surprised. You were probably using a Dictaphone when I was a teenager wishing I had one to play with.

Kendra

Post #1131 by Kendra » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:00 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... e0254b5e1f

This is a fun take down of The Excuses...

It's been a week since the Donald Trump Jr. scandal broke, and the White House and its allies have trotted out a whole bunch of different defenses — some of them only suggestive — from the 39-year-old's age to blaming former attorney general Loretta Lynch to the idea that it was only attempted collusion. Over the weekend, President Trump's lawyer even tried to suggest the Secret Service had no problems with the meeting — only to have that argument quickly unravel.

It's getting a little hard to keep track of all it. So below is a scorecard of each one, along with how plausible it is — scored from 0 to 10, with 10 being the most plausible.

kate520

Post #1132 by kate520 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Off Topic
My father and grandmother surreptitiously recorded Roosevelt's fireside chats, as many as they could, on a reel to reel wire recorder when grandad was out of town. A few women neighbors would drop by for "coffee' or, better yet, "canasta" to listen and discuss, which they were forbidden to do at home by their husbands.

Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

Notorial Dissent

Post #1133 by Notorial Dissent » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:29 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
much ado wrote:

Off Topic

Off Topic
What I want to know is do you still have the rock slab and hammer and chisels? Or was it clay pads and sharp sticks?

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sam the Centipede

Post #1134 by Sam the Centipede » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:33 pm

much ado wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
much ado wrote:Not like "Dictaphone" would.

Off Topic

Off Topic
I am not surprised. You were probably using a Dictaphone when I was a teenager wishing I had one to play with.

Of course, one always had to be wary of asking any colleague "can I use your Dictaphone?" in case he started (miming!) unzipping his pants...

YellowMustard

Post #1135 by YellowMustard » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:20 pm

Kendra wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/07/17/6-defenses-of-donald-trump-jr-s-russia-meeting-each-more-dubious-than-the-last/?utm_term=.6ae0254b5e1f

It's been a week since the Donald Trump Jr. scandal broke, and the White House and its allies have trotted out a whole bunch of different defenses — some of them only suggestive — from the 39-year-old's age to blaming former attorney general Loretta Lynch to the idea that it was only attempted collusion. Over the weekend, President Trump's lawyer even tried to suggest the Secret Service had no problems with the meeting — only to have that argument quickly unravel.

It's getting a little hard to keep track of all it. So below is a scorecard of each one, along with how plausible it is — scored from 0 to 10, with 10 being the most plausible.

Speaking of excuses, have y'all seen this? http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2017/05/ ... klist.html

----IANAL----

Call me old fashioned, but I always thought patriotism was something we share, not use against each other. - Mrs. Betty Bowers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xV8HHFtg7w

Chilidog

Post #1136 by Chilidog » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:31 pm

One question I've not seen discussed,

Did Junior or any of the other three stooges make any attempt to assure that the information being offered was not illegally obtained?

Or did they they just wink at each other and say, "it fell off the back of a truck."

Sam the Centipede

Post #1137 by Sam the Centipede » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Chilidog wrote:One question I've not seen discussed,

Did Junior or any of the other three stooges make any attempt to assure that the information being offered was not illegally obtained?

Or did they they just wink at each other and say, "it fell off the back of a truck."

Oh c'mon! You know that the anwer to that question! It's "no, definitely not, no way, never in a zillion years or in a thousand star systems or a million alternate realities did Trump Jr. or his accomplices make any attempt to verify the source of the information."

Slim Cognito

Post #1138 by Slim Cognito » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:41 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
much ado wrote:

Off Topic

I transcribed from a Dictaphone for decades. Doctors hated giving them up.

MsDaisy

Post #1139 by MsDaisy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:47 pm

I looked back and didn’t see this article posted, though I certainly could have missed it, or it may be in another thread somewhere but it’s a good example of actual events and how they line up with the Steele Dossier.

Details in Donald Trump Jr.'s emails align with parts of the explosive Trump-Russia dossier

The astonishing emails posted on Twitter by Donald Trump Jr. on Tuesday display parallels with the controversial unverified leaked document from a former British spy that BuzzFeedpublished back in January.

President Donald Trump blasted BuzzFeed for publishing the document, which had not been confirmed by any independent source or authority. He called Buzzfeed "a failing pile of garbage" at a press conference the next day. The document had been written by ex-MI6 employee Christopher Steele, now a private security consultant.

More

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-t ... ent-2017-7

Birfers are toast

vic

Post #1140 by vic » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:57 pm

Kendra wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/07/17/6-defenses-of-donald-trump-jr-s-russia-meeting-each-more-dubious-than-the-last/?utm_term=.6ae0254b5e1f

But if you add up all the scores, it's a 10! Winning!

Off Topic
For Slarti, et al: That's a "10", not 10 factorial.

Addie

Post #1141 by Addie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:47 am

Update:

WaPo: Eighth person in Trump Tower meeting is identified

An American-based employee of a Russian real estate company took part in a June 2016 Trump Tower meeting between a Russian lawyer and Donald Trump Jr., bringing to eight the number of known participants at the session that has emerged a key focus of the investigation of the Trump campaign’s interactions with Russian.

Ike Kaveladze’s presence was confirmed by Scott Balber, an attorney for Emin and Aras Agalarov, the Russian developers who hosted the Trump-owned Miss Universe pageant in 2013. Balber said Kaveladze works for the Agalarovs’ company and attended as their representative.

Balber said Tuesday that he received a phone call from a representative of Special Counsel Robert Mueller over the weekend requesting the identity of the Agalarov representative , which he said he provided. The request is the first public indication that Mueller’s team is investigating the meeting.

Adding:

Politico: Eighth man in Trump Tower meeting was linked to money laundering

Daily Beast: Donald Trump Jr. Met Russian Accused of Laundering $1.4 Billion

Slate: Donald Trump Jr. Meeting Also Included Accused Money Launderer Who Was Born in Soviet Union

Think Progress: Mysterious 8th person at Trump Jr. meeting allegedly ran massive Russian money-laundering scheme

-------------------------------------

What's the big sekrit? :think:

CNN

Special Counsel investigators seeking info from 'eighth man' at Trump Tower meeting

Washington (CNN) Special Counsel investigators are seeking information from the still-publicly unidentified eighth person who attended the June 2016 meeting with Donald Trump Jr. at Trump Tower, this person's attorney Scott Balber said Tuesday.

"The eighth person has been identified by prosecutors and we are cooperating fully with prosecutors as a result of the investigation. To preserve the integrity of the investigation we are declining to identify him at this time," Balber told CNN.

Balber said his client hasn't been interviewed yet and that Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigators have not reached out about Emin and Aras Agalarov, whom he also represents. ,,,

The eighth person has been described by sources familiar with the circumstances as an employee and US representative of the Agalarovs.

Balber said the individual is a long-time US citizen who speaks fluent Russian and has "never had any engagement with the Russian government in any capacity."

¡Qué vergüenza!

Chilidog

Post #1142 by Chilidog » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:44 pm

So, does Jared have to revise his SF-86 again!

:rotflmao:

Addie

Post #1143 by Addie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Foreign Policy

Could Trump Jr., Kushner, or Manafort Be Charged Under the Espionage Act?

If the meeting at Trump Tower feels to you like treason, that's probably because it may actually be espionage.

The current focal point of the Russia scandal is the confab at Trump Tower, an Apalachin meeting of sorts in which at least eight agents of the Trump campaign and the Russian government met to discuss the Russia’s opposition research on the Clintons. The Russians apparently offered this information in exchange for the Trump campaign’s willingness to hear them out on the Magnitsky Act. Donald Trump Jr. has protested that nothing ever came of this.

Over the weekend, however, the Associated Press reported on an interview it conducted with one of the Russians at the meeting. Rinat Akhmetshin, a Russian-American lobbyist and former Soviet military officer, claimed that the Russian lawyer who ran the meeting, Natalya Veselnitskaya, not only promised to give the Trump campaign dirt on the Clintons, but actually presented her interlocutors with “a plastic folder with printed-out documents that detailed what she believed was the flow of illicit funds to the Democrats.”

Apparently, Trump Jr. was unimpressed with the contents of the plastic folder and asked Veselnitskaya whether she had more concrete evidence. The plastic folder, therefore, may have just contained propaganda. Whether Trump Jr. took the plastic folder with him or whether he left it behind in the conference room is unclear. What was clear, however, was the intent. According to the AP report, “Veselnitskaya presented the contents of the documents to Trump Jr. and suggested that making the information public could help the campaign.” And receiving this plastic folder, assuming it really happened, may have implicated the participants in espionage.

The word “treason” has been thrown around to describe this and other putative efforts by members of the Trump campaign to court and be courted by the Russian government during the 2016 election. For reasons that have been described here, here, and here, nothing anyone in the Trump campaign did or conceivably could have done would meet the constitutional definition of treason. (Even being a vice presidential candidate does not make you a constitutional law scholar.)

¡Qué vergüenza!

MsDaisy

Post #1144 by MsDaisy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:49 pm

Trump had undisclosed hour-long meeting with Putin at G-20 summit

After his much-publicized, two-and a quarter-hour meeting early this month with Russian President Vladi¬mir Putin at the Group of 20 summit in Germany, President Trump met informally with the Russian leader for an additional hour later the same day.

The second meeting, unreported at the time, took place at a dinner for G-20 leaders, a senior administration official said. Halfway through the meal, Trump left his own seat to occupy a chair next to Putin. Trump was alone, and Putin was attended only by his official interpreter.

The encounter underscores the extent to which Trump was eager throughout the summit to cultivate a friendship with Putin. During last year’s campaign, Trump spoke admiringly of Putin and at times seemed captivated by him.

Meeting each other face-to-face for the first time in Hamburg, the two presidents seemed to have a chemistry in their more formal bilateral session, evidenced by the fact that it dragged on for more than two hours.

WaPo
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat ... ion&wpmk=1

ETA Cross posted to "Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia" thread

Birfers are toast

RTH10260

Post #1145 by RTH10260 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:35 pm

Seems the fast moving events prevent me from posting the story of another dark episode with Russian connection, though the capital was Vienna... ;)

► Show Spoiler

RTH10260

Post #1146 by RTH10260 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:39 pm

MsDaisy wrote:Trump had undisclosed hour-long meeting with Putin at G-20 summit

:snippity:

WaPo

ETA Cross posted to "Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia" thread

Of course Putin knew how to lead on Teh Donald. How many secrets did he inadvertantly reveal?

maydijo

Post #1147 by maydijo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:03 pm

RTH10260 wrote:

WaPo

Of course Putin knew how to lead on Teh Donald. How many secrets did he inadvertantly reveal?

Nobody can reveal secrets like Donald. The secrets he reveals are yuuuge. He is very, very bigly on revealing secrets, especially if it's to Putin, because Putin is a good guy, a really good guy.

SLQ

Post #1148 by SLQ » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:31 pm

Also, in this second meeting, Trump used only Putin's translator, because Trump was only allowed one translator at the event, who spoke Japanese:

Per CNN:

Coons said Trump didn't bring a US translator and relied on Putin's, which the senator called a "basic failure in terms of national security protocol."

Asked if there was any depth to the conversation, Coons said there was no way to know.

Also, weirdly:

Trump was seated near Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Abe's wife, while first lady Melania Trump was seated next to Putin.

The White House said Trump went over to his wife and spoke with Putin near the dinner's end.

stoppingby

Post #1149 by stoppingby » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:38 pm

RTH10260 wrote:

WaPo

Right now, I'm praying our intelligence officials have learned to sprinkle Trump's briefings with tantalizing, but fake, tidbits, and then monitor Russian chatter to see how much shows up. They've dealt with moles and benedict arnolds before.....

June bug

Post #1150 by June bug » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Off Topic
Foggy wrote:I think our only chance is to take both chambers of Congress back next year, but it's going to be really hard to vote, and nobody is going to stop the Russians from fucking with the outcome.

I think we're in deep shit. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

Maybe your own NC Governor can point the way, Fogster. :boxing:

From Politico:
Roy Cooper wants Democrats to do something they haven’t done in state politics in years: Go on offense.

His eyes on 2018 state Legislature races and potential special elections before then, the North Carolina governor is launching a multimillion-dollar, multiyear effort to knock Republicans out of the state capital. And national Democrats, reeling from losing hundreds of seats in statehouses across the country over the past decade, are hoping other governors pay close attention.

Cooper’s initiative is the latest frontier in a state that’s a cauldron of just about every political fight in America—redistricting, voter ID, public education, gender. The two major parties are just about equally matched here, though unaffiliated voters outnumber Republicans.

:snippity: :snippity:

Cooper is coordinating closely on mechanics and messaging with Eric Holder, who’s chairing the National Democratic Redistricting Committee. At the state party’s Unity Dinner last weekend, Holder called North Carolina “ground zero in the fight to restore our democracy” as the finishing touches were being put on the launch for what NDRC executive director Kelly Ward calls “a great model for Democratic governors across the country.”

Return to “Trump Administration”