Mueller's investigation of Trump

RTH10260

Re: Mueller's investigation of Trump

Post #1076 by RTH10260 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:47 pm

much ado wrote:
Northland10 wrote:I am still dumbfounded at how they let their activities get so close to the center of the campaign. Have they never heard of the concept of using intermediaries when involved with dirty trick politics? If you are looking for dirt, you do not let the provider anywhere near the campaign leadership. That's just stupid.

I think they lacked a clear understanding that what they wanted to do was illegal. It was just business as usual to them.

The Trumps purport to be business men, never claimed to be politicians.

RoadScholar

Post #1077 by RoadScholar » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:03 pm

"The Trumps are the Ultimate Globalists."

That should be spread around.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

GreatGrey

Post #1078 by GreatGrey » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:13 pm

More people in Drumpette's meeting than at the inauguration.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Kendra

Post #1079 by Kendra » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:23 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... ae00ef516c

This sheds light on things a bit.

Donald Trump Jr. is seeking to write off as a nonevent his meeting last year with a Russian lawyer who was said to have damaging information about Hillary Clinton. “It was such a nothing,” he told Fox News’s Sean Hannity on Tuesday. “There was nothing to tell.”

But everything we know about the meeting — from whom it involved to how it was set up to how it unfolded — is in line with what intelligence analysts would expect an overture in a Russian influence operation to look like. It bears all the hallmarks of a professionally planned, carefully orchestrated intelligence soft pitch designed to gauge receptivity, while leaving room for plausible deniability in case the approach is rejected. And the Trump campaign’s willingness to take the meeting — and, more important, its failure to report the episode to U.S. authorities — may have been exactly the green light Russia was looking for to launch a more aggressive phase of intervention in the U.S. election campaign.
:snippity:
From the Russian perspective, the fact that Trump Jr. agreed to the meeting would have been the first promising sign. That veteran political operative Paul Manafort and senior adviser Jared Kushner showed up with him would have furthered the impression that there was strong interest in Russian assistance (and vulnerability to compromise) on the part of the campaign. But, according to standard espionage tradecraft, the most notable achievement of this encounter lay in the campaign’s failure to report it to the appropriate U.S. authorities — as Russia would have known when there was no immediate, dramatic increase in U.S. counterintelligence scrutiny of its election-related operations.

Addie

Post #1080 by Addie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:26 pm

Business Insider - Natasha Bertrand

There are key differences between the Steele dossier and Trump Jr.'s meeting with a Russian lawyer ...

The argument has spawned a new talking point among the president’s allies, which is that Democrats, too, worked with a foreign government to dig up dirt on Trump when they started working with the opposition research firm Fusion GPS last summer. The firm was first hired by one of Trump’s Republican primary opponents, but the funding was taken over by Democrats after Trump won the nomination. ...

Others, however, say there are some key differences between the opposition research apparently offered to the Trump campaign by the Russian lawyer, Natalia Veselnitskaya, and the research compiled by Steele on behalf of anti-Trump Republicans and Democrats.

Perhaps the most significant difference, they note, is that Steele brought his findings about potential collusion between Trump associates and Moscow to the FBI, whereas Trump Jr. and the other campaign advisers present for the meeting with Veselnitskaya did not alert authorities to an offer by a “Russian government attorney” to help defeat Clinton, the Democratic presidential nominee.

“Uncovering information as Steele did (and so many other intel services!) of a Russian intelligence operation, and then reporting it to the proper authorities is not the same thing as meeting with Russian intelligence officers so as to collude in secret to support their covert action to undermine and alter the US election,” veteran CIA operative Glenn Carle said in an email. ...

Steele, Tyler noted, was not representing a foreign government whose interests he was trying to insert into the election process. Even if Veselnitskaya was not directly connected to the Kremlin, she was presented to Trump Jr. as a “Russian government attorney” who wanted to help the campaign as part of the Russian government’s support for Trump’s candidacy.

Adding:

Talking Points Memo: Don Jr. Meeting Came At A Seminal Moment In Russian Interference Story

¡Qué vergüenza!

Slartibartfast

Post #1081 by Slartibartfast » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:10 pm

The more I hear about this, the more it seems like a fishing expedition by the Russians with Fredo swallowing it hook, line, sinker, pole, and reel. I wonder if Ms. Veselnitskaya got a promotion out of compromising the Republican nominee and future POTUS. The US isn't even in the same league as the Russians in spycraft.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

gupwalla

Post #1082 by gupwalla » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:26 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:The US isn't even in the same league as the Russians in spycraft.

I agree with you that we are not in the same league, but I will take the optimistic side of that bet :P

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

Gregg

Post #1083 by Gregg » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:10 pm

Addie wrote:NBC News

Russian Lawyer Brought Ex-Soviet Counter Intelligence Officer to Trump Team Meeting

WASHINGTON — The Russian lawyer who met with the Trump team after a promise of compromising material on Hillary Clinton was accompanied by a Russian-American lobbyist — a former Soviet counter intelligence officer who is suspected by some U.S. officials of having ongoing ties to Russian intelligence, NBC News has learned.

NBC News is not naming the lobbyist, who denies any current ties to Russian spy agencies. He accompanied the lawyer, Natalia Veselnitskaya, to the June 2016 meeting at Trump Tower attended by Donald Trump Jr., Jared Kushner and Paul Manafort.

The Russian-born American lobbyist served in the Soviet military and emigrated to the U.S., where he holds dual citizenship.

Veselnitskaya acknowledged to NBC News that she was accompanied by at least one other man, though she declined to identify him.

Because the KGB is deeply interested in Adoption.

GlimDropper

Post #1084 by GlimDropper » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:06 pm

Gregg wrote: Because the KGB is deeply interested in Adoption.

I suspect the problem was, in part timing. In June of last year Don Jr. could not yet imagine himself ever wanting to be adopted by the KGB, though as more time passes I suspect he'll warm to the prospect.

Sterngard Friegen

Post #1085 by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:11 pm

The email about the meeting was the Russians throwing out some bait on a hook to see if the Trump campaign would bite. If the Trump campaign were to take a bite that meant the Trump team could be compromised, and that there could be implicit cooperation and quid pro quos. Which is what happened, of course.

The most important -- indeed the only important thing -- to the Russians about the proposed meeting mentioned in the email was that the upper echelons of the Trump campaign took the bait. After that the Russians knew how to play it. Nothing significant had to happen at the actual meeting. The Russian lawyer could go in with all her dossiers and whine about Russian orphans, one of her causes. She did and Don, Jr. Manafort and Kushner were all puzzled. But none of that made any difference. Accepting the meeting was the signal that the Trump campaign and Donald Trump could be kompromat. The rest was window dressing.

Bob Mueller already has all of this. And lots more. There's a torrential outpouring, not a leak, in the White House. It's somebody close. And that person has given Mueller a roadmap and a lot of the documents.

Dallasite
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Post #1086 by Dallasite » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:35 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote: Bob Mueller already has all of this. And lots more. There's a torrential outpouring, not a leak, in the White House. It's somebody close. And that person has given Mueller a roadmap and a lot of the documents.

The trial results of for the Malheur nutjobs have shaken my faith in those deserving it receiving justice.

DJT is currently President of the United States. Until I see it happening, I just can't believe his minions will face any consequences.

"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

pipistrelle

Post #1087 by pipistrelle » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:40 pm

Dallasite wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote: Bob Mueller already has all of this. And lots more. There's a torrential outpouring, not a leak, in the White House. It's somebody close. And that person has given Mueller a roadmap and a lot of the documents.

The trial results of for the Malheur nutjobs have shaken my faith in those deserving it receiving justice.

DJT is currently President of the United States. Until I see it happening, I just can't believe his minions will face any consequences.

I agree with that. There's too much crime of a white-collar kind and not enough will or resources to combat it. But then honestly if I had been Judge Brown I would have tossed 4 if I was going to toss 11. I never understood why she let him stay after he revealed his bias and his willingness to wield power.

I hope I feel the wind changing, though. Some of the more moderate Republicans don't seem to like this direction. They're not in lockstep in supporting treacherous behavior. At least there's that.

Dallasite
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Post #1088 by Dallasite » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:07 am

pipistrelle wrote:I hope I feel the wind changing, though. Some of the more moderate Republicans don't seem to like this direction. They're not in lockstep in supporting treacherous behavior. At least there's that.

Nope, I feel nothing but the heat and humidity of summer. While some Republicans are complaining about DJT's ignorant and abusive tweets, they have cost him no support in Congress. And no Congressional Republican is calling for action over Team Trump's involvement with Russians, even though more and more damning information comes to light virtually daily.

I feel the Congressional investigations are just for show, being led by Republicans and despite efforts by Democratic committee members. I can only hope Muellers investigation confirms our beliefs about the involvement of DJT and his comrades with Putin and his colleagues, and it leads to any and all punishment possible. I know this will likely take many more months, and I'm willing to wait for my hopes to come to fruition. However, until I see it actually happening, I'll wait with my fingers crossed but not holding my breath.

"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

Chilidog

Post #1089 by Chilidog » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:25 am

Addie wrote:1. The US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, in charge of US v. Prevezon Holdings money laundering case, is fired (March 11 2017).

2. Trump phone conversation with Putin; Putin asks Trump to receive Lavrov (May 2, 2017).

3. The FBI Director is fired (May 9 2017).

4. Lavrov and Kislyak meet with Trump in the Oval Office (May 12 2017).

5. US v. Prevezon Holdings trial, a $230 million lawsuit, set to commence May 15, is settled out of court for $6M (May 13 2017).

6. Coinkydink or something of value? In return for what?

How would that have been done? Was a Trump stooge put in charge of the case after Bharara was fired? Who?

Besides for Bharara, I'm sure there were a number of staff attorneys that worked on the case. We're they fired as well, if not, why did they go along with the settlement?

Can you draft a settlement offer in a day?

I'm not a big conspiracy theory guy.

Addie

Post #1090 by Addie » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:19 am

That's what the Dems in Congress want to know from DOJ and Sessions, Chili. How that would have been done.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #1091 by Addie » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:27 am

LawNewz

LawNewz Prediction: President Trump Fires Special Counsel Robert Mueller Within 100 Days

Lets be clear, it was extraordinary for the President to fire the FBI director. In fact, James Comey was only the second-ever to be fired in U.S. history. The President undoubtedly had the authority to do it but despite coming under fire during the 2016 election, Comey was long viewed as a fixture, a sometimes controversial but even-handed, non-partisan and eminently qualified director who would never get fired. Especially because of the ongoing Russia investigation. Except that is exactly what happened, and why it happened. The President admitted as much.

Since then the “witch hunt” investigation into the Trump campaign and alleged collusion with the Kremlin has taken a decidedly more perilous and personal turn for the President. And that’s exactly why we think it won’t be longer than 100 days before Trump pulls the trigger and “Comey” Mueller (no he can’t technically fire him but he can certainly order it and make it happen). After all, as the campaign and his first few months in office prove, Trump puts his family above anything else. As information continues to seep out about the work that Mueller is doing and the subpoenas start coming, we believe the President will be increasingly frustrated and the administration will undoubtedly continue to seek to undermine Mueller’s credibility. And lets be clear, by any objective standard Mueller is an unassailable, apolitical public servant.

Now, many are saying there is no way the administration would risk the fallout from having Mueller fired. Nixon’s “Saturday Night Massacre” regularly invoked. But really? It seems no matter what this President does — no matter how out of the ordinary or mainstream — that his most ardent supporters in the public and the media continue to defend him. Most important is that now that many are questioning whether his son Donald Trump Jr. committed, at the least, an election law crime when he took a meeting with someone who he thought was working for the Russian government. And, as investigators are now reportedly probing Jared Kushner‘s role in potentially helping to direct a Russian operation targeting voters with fake news about candidate Hillary Clinton, and as the specter of obstruction of justice in connection with firing Comey hangs over the President and his administration, we believe it now more likely than not that Trump will decide that Mueller must go.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #1092 by Addie » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:38 am

HuffPo: Evidence Suggests Russian Intelligence Pipeline To Trump Campaign

Business Insider: The Russian lawyer Trump Jr. and Kushner met with in 2016 was also in regular contact with top Russian prosecutor

The Hill: Former Obama aide: None of us needed lawyers

Adding:

USA Today: Timeline: Key moments in the FBI probe of Russia's efforts to influence the 2016 election

CNN: RNC chair: 'I don't even know' if it's legal for RNC to pay Trump's legal fees

The Hill: Trump lawyer heads to Sunday shows to launch full-court defense

¡Qué vergüenza!

Sterngard Friegen

Post #1093 by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:54 am

So here's the deal. If Mueller gets fired the probe gets handed back to the FBI. And there will shortly be a new FBI Director. Hand picked by the Orange Menace and about to be confirmed by the Senate unanimously. He has as much integrity as Mueller. (I don't give Comey good grades for integrity. After the Russians he interfered more in last year's election than anyone else in American history.)

So the investigation will continue with Chris Wray. Then what is Trump going to do?

Suranis

Post #1094 by Suranis » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:24 am

Fire Chris Wray of course.

When you sleep outside to see the stars, you also support entire families of Mosquitoes.

Foggy

Post #1095 by Foggy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:22 am

D'accord. I see Trump firing as many people as it takes, and issuing as many orders as it takes, until the Congress is forced to impeach him. This guy doesn't care about the rule of law or the popular perception of his lawlessness. He'll have Fox News and the usual Republican suspects blaring that he's done nothing wrong. There are people today saying Jr..'s meeting is a nothingburger. Steve Doocey announced that the Russia/meddling investigation has fallen apart. No matter what he does, Fox and a substantial minority of Americans will support him all the way. You can't even get Ryan or Mitchell to say he's done anything wrong yet.

Of course, that will have consequences in next year's election.

I think (and ol' Wifehorn really thinks) that this will lead to impeachment sooner rather than later. A few more ugly bombshells ... or maybe many. At some point, if the Republican Party wants to survive, they'll have to cut their losses. But it's going to have to be impeachment. He's not going to leave voluntarily.

Edit: Hay, if there are people in México who can throw a 60 lb. bag of drugs over a 30 ft. wall, don't we want to let them into the US and sign them up to play in the NFL? :confused:

A yoctosecond is a septillionth of a second (10-24).

pipistrelle

Post #1096 by pipistrelle » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:31 am

What I wonder about is if there is a crisis — an economic meltdown encouraged by all these insane policies, a natural disaster, a terrorist attack, or worse — our leader can't control leaks, doesn't know what anyone's doing, doesn't forge alliances, etc., etc., etc. He's the antithesis of a leader or someone who can get things done well and quickly. Between that, and the filter-down unethical climate, we are vulnerable in a way I never thought possible.

RTH10260

Post #1097 by RTH10260 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:32 pm

Addie wrote:LawNewz

LawNewz Prediction: President Trump Fires Special Counsel Robert Mueller Within 100 Days
:snippity:
we believe it now more likely than not that Trump will decide that Mueller must go.

Look out for this suggestion getting uttered on Faux News... :doh:

Kendra

Post #1098 by Kendra » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:22 pm

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... s-prior-to

Well then.

President Trump’s official campaign paid Donald Trump Jr.’s lawyer roughly two weeks before it was revealed the president’s son had taken part in a meeting with a Russian lawyer, according to new FEC filings.

The FEC filing shows that Donald J. Trump for President, Inc. disbursed $50,000 for "legal consulting" to Alan Futerfas's law firm on June 27.

Reuters reported on Monday that Futerfas had been hired to represent Trump Jr. but the report did not reveal when he had been retained.

The Hill has reached out to the Trump campaign and Futerfas for comment.

Kendra

Post #1099 by Kendra » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:29 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 4bc0b71aaf

:snippity: The huge legal outlays by Trump's campaign committee came during a period in which it has been repeatedly tapping his small donor base for contributions, exhorting them in emails and text messages to give money to help the president fight the political establishment and “fake news.”
Trump supporters poured $13.4 million into three Trump committees between April 1 and June 30, including $5.9 million that went to his principal campaign committee. During the same period, that committee spent $4.37 million, including $677,000 on legal expenses.

Foggy

Post #1100 by Foggy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:24 am

My country has fallen into the hands of a criminal syndicate. We'll be lucky as hell to have any kind of free and fair election next November. :madguy:

We're in real trouble. How long will it be before Trump/Sessions et al. start imprisoning or murdering journalists for reporting the truth?

A yoctosecond is a septillionth of a second (10-24).

Return to “Trump Administration”