Mueller's investigation of Trump

SLQ

Re: Mueller's investigation of Trump

Post by SLQ » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:37 am

Also, before that breaking news was breaking news that a Russian lobbyist and ex-soviet spy was at the meeting: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/rus ... am-n782851

Funny, transparent Don didn't mention that.

(On my phone so will affix the formatting later.)

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:55 am

Remember - whatever the news is reporting now Mueller's team has known for weeks. And unlike reporters, they have subpoena power. The patriot leaking at the White House is also probably known to Mueller's team and is probably their "useful idiot." As the leaks continue to come out, the rats will scramble from the light. And leave trails for Mueller's team to follow.

And one thing the team is following is the money. Jared Kushner's actions toward Qatar because one of its citizens refused to bail him out is just another string being followed on that basis.

When the indictments start to come down this is going to explode. We are in kindergarten right now. Mueller is in law school. Teaching a class of 3Ls.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:59 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:When the indictments start to come down this is going to explode. We are in kindergarten right now. Mueller is in law school. Teaching a class of 3Ls.
Thank God! I have to keep reminding myself that Trump & Co.'s PR spin is meaningless as to the Mueller investigation.

George W. Bush
There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.
You also can't fool a seasoned federal prosecutor with BS propaganda.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:10 pm

Bloomberg
Trump to Hire Lawyer Ty Cobb to Respond to Russia Probes

President Donald Trump plans to put a veteran Washington lawyer, Ty Cobb, in charge of overseeing the White House’s legal and media response to investigations into Russian meddling in the 2016 campaign.

Top administration officials want someone to enforce discipline in the White House regarding Russia matters -- and that includes the president, who frequently vents his frustrations about the investigations on Twitter, a White House official said. The official requested anonymity because Cobb’s hiring hasn’t been announced. ...

Cobb will be the central in-house figure on matters related to the investigations into Russian interference in the election and the Trump campaign’s possible involvement, working closely with Trump’s outside legal team led by Marc Kasowitz and John Dowd.

Cobb is a relative of the baseball Hall of Famer of the same name. He has a reputation for managing crises and dealing with corruption allegations, and he’s familiar with the workings of the Justice Department and FBI. He represented figures involved in government investigations during former President Bill Clinton’s administration, according to Reuters, which reported on July 3 that Trump had met with him.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:18 pm

Kendra wrote: :snippity:
Life insurance policies cover suicide?
It is a matter of state law. Most (all??) states have a statute that says that suicide has to be covered after a certain waiting period. Missouri is one year. I looked up the statute in a different thread.
"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:21 pm

Will any of this new crew of 45's lawyers be paid* by the OSG himself, or will he manage to make it a White House expense that we taxpayers fund?

* If it's the former, the question becomes moot, since it's well known that Teh Donald doesn't believe in paying his bills.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:28 pm

Sunrise wrote:Will any of this new crew of 45's lawyers be paid* by the OSG himself, or will he manage to make it a White House expense that we taxpayers fund?

* If it's the former, the question becomes moot, since it's well known that Teh Donald doesn't believe in paying his bills.
I can't recall where I read it (so many news stories!) but there was chatter on one of perhaps the RNC being expected to pony up if it was legal to do so, if not set up some speshul fund for it.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Yeah, I read that, too. I think it was only yesterday, but I'm damned if I remember where. :oops:
Kendra wrote:I can't recall where I read it (so many news stories!) but there was chatter on one of perhaps the RNC being expected to pony up if it was legal to do so, if not set up some speshul fund for it.
¡Qué vergüenza!

much ado

Post by much ado » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:When the indictments start to come down this is going to explode.
:thumbs: Any guess about how many months we can expect to wait before the first indictments are announced? Are they likely to start with the smaller fish and work their way up the food chain?

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Somebody's mad :lol:

Raw Story
Ex-RNC head Steele explodes on Trump for dragging the GOP through his ‘crap — every single frigging day’

Appearing on MSNBC Friday morning, a livid Michael Steele lit into the Trump Administration for the daily “drip, drip, drip” of information about links to Russian involvement in the 2016 presidential election, saying the Republican Party is going to be decimated by it.

Speaking with host Stephanie Ruhle, the former chairman of the Republican National Committee was asked about NBC’s bombshell report that an ex-Soviet agent met with Donald Trump Jr., Jared Kushner and Paul Manafort in Trump Tower on June 9th.

Steele became quite animated about the long term implications for the Republican Party with a reeling President Donald Trump as the face of the party.

“I think it works along the lines of a general belief that no one will know what actually happened because there was no third party source to validate or corroborate who was in the meeting,” Steele began. “But, you know, we have a press corps, we have individuals as we’ve learned in this administration who do like to talk. And that information gets out — the drip, drip, drip. I’ve said it now for six months, the drip, drip, drip from this campaign and now into this administration will be its death knell, and it rings every frigging day for the Republican Party, and they better wake their butts up.”

“Why is the Republican Party letting this happened?” Steele was asked.

“They’re scared of one-tenth of 1 percent of a base that is lockstep with Donald Trump, and the leadership is frozen,” Steele replied as his voice rose and he began to tick off the lack of any progress the Republicans have made since taking over the White House and both houses of Congress. “They have cement around their feet and they refuse to move. They can’t get an agenda passed, seven years on health care? This is a joke. Infrastructure won’t happen, tax reform? Forget about it.”
¡Qué vergüenza!

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:17 pm

I am still dumbfounded at how they let their activities get so close to the center of the campaign. Have they never heard of the concept of using intermediaries when involved with dirty trick politics? If you are looking for dirt, you do not let the provider anywhere near the campaign leadership. That's just stupid.

It doesn't help that this crew does not care one wit about the actual law or even the consequences from appearing to be doing something illegal. In politics, appearances matter.

They do appear to be making Mueller's job a little easier. Now he can spend more time on the deeper stuff.
North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

much ado

Post by much ado » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Northland10 wrote:I am still dumbfounded at how they let their activities get so close to the center of the campaign. Have they never heard of the concept of using intermediaries when involved with dirty trick politics? If you are looking for dirt, you do not let the provider anywhere near the campaign leadership. That's just stupid.
I think they lacked a clear understanding that what they wanted to do was illegal. It was just business as usual to them.

noblepa

Post by noblepa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:27 pm

qbawl wrote:
GlimDropper wrote:GOP Operative Who Sought Hillary Clinton Emails from Russian Hackers Killed Himself

:snippity: :snippity:
Umm, don't life insurance policies generally frown on suicide?
:snippity:
Yes but only during the first 2 years in force if my memories of long ago LOMA classes are correct.
That's the way my two whole-life policies are worded.

noblepa

Post by noblepa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:39 pm

much ado wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote:When the indictments start to come down this is going to explode.
:thumbs: Any guess about how many months we can expect to wait before the first indictments are announced? Are they likely to start with the smaller fish and work their way up the food chain?[/quote]

That's the way conspiracy prosecutions usually work. They will try to get the smaller fish to roll over on the bigger fish.

noblepa

Post by noblepa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:47 pm

much ado wrote:
Northland10 wrote:I am still dumbfounded at how they let their activities get so close to the center of the campaign. Have they never heard of the concept of using intermediaries when involved with dirty trick politics? If you are looking for dirt, you do not let the provider anywhere near the campaign leadership. That's just stupid.
I think they lacked a clear understanding that what they wanted to do was illegal. It was just business as usual to them.
They still lack that understanding. They honestly believe that they did nothing wrong. I think that they're aware that others may think it is wrong; hence the stonewalling.

Even if there was no actual crime committed, why can't they understand that letting a foreign power, especially our principle rival for world leadership, Russia, be involved in our election, is just plain WRONG?

If the latest round of news about Junior do result in criminal charges, I think that the case will revolve around Congressional intent for the words "anything of value". I'm sure that when Congress was crafting the law, they were thinking of bags of cash or cash equivalents. While I agree that "dirt" on Hillary would be valuable to the Trump campaign, I think that there is room for debate on whether it meets the meaning of the phrase in the statute. If it does not, then no crime has been committed.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:49 pm

I'm not sure you're right about that. It is possible that they do know that what they've been doing is wrong, but just do not care. In which case it's just a matter of them thinking they'd get away with it and whether they in fact will.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:06 pm

Off Topic
Trump's lawyers name reminds me of this bit of dialog

Ray Kinsella: Where'd they come from?

Shoeless Joe Jackson: Where did WE come from? You wouldn't believe how many guys wanted to play here. We had to beat 'em off with a stick.

Archie Graham: Hey, that's Smokey Joe Wood. And Mel Ott. And Gil Hodges!

Shoeless Joe Jackson: Ty Cobb wanted to play, but none of us could stand the son-of-a-bitch when we were alive, so we told him to stick it!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:10 pm

I think the proof that Trump received something of value is that he has attempted to give value back. He wanted to eliminate the sanctions on Russia and the only reason he wasn't able to do it is because of all the press and investigations regarding his campaign and Russia. He clearly has treated Putin with a respect and admiration that he hasn't given to our best allies. And now he wants to give Putin an invitation (but "not yet") to the Oval office. FFS. Clearly he views Putin's efforts to have been "of value".
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:37 pm

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la ... story.html
Op-Ed Why did Don Jr.'s emails surface? Because Robert Mueller is already changing Washington's lying ways

much ado

Post by much ado » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:47 pm

RoadScholar wrote:I'm not sure you're right about that. It is possible that they do know that what they've been doing is wrong, but just do not care. In which case it's just a matter of them thinking they'd get away with it and whether they in fact will.
Certainly that is quite possible.

I've wondered, though, if the real reason Trump wants so desperately to quash the Russia investigation is not that the election collusion amounted to much, perhaps it did not. But that any attention on Trump's Russian connections would uncover a large number of obviously very illegal transactions, dealings, arrangements, etc., which would likely include money laundering and income tax evasion at the very least.

But, too bad for Trump. Looks like it is too late!

much ado

Post by much ado » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:49 pm

Sad!

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:05 pm

1. The US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, in charge of US v. Prevezon Holdings money laundering case, is fired (March 11 2017).

2. Trump phone conversation with Putin; Putin asks Trump to receive Lavrov (May 2, 2017).

3. The FBI Director is fired (May 9 2017).

4. Lavrov and Kislyak meet with Trump in the Oval Office (May 12 2017).

5. US v. Prevezon Holdings trial, a $230 million lawsuit, set to commence May 15, is settled out of court for $6M (May 13 2017).

6. Coinkydink or something of value? In return for what?
¡Qué vergüenza!

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:20 pm

RoadScholar wrote:I'm not sure you're right about that. It is possible that they do know that what they've been doing is wrong, but just do not care. In which case it's just a matter of them thinking they'd get away with it and whether they in fact will.
The interesting part is that I think Trump's and Don Jr.'s and Kusher's and Manafort's actions come from a (dirty) globalist mindset. They did dirty business throughout the world, to their advantage (presumably), so that's how they ran their campaign. That is in direct contrast to Trump's Bannon's America First! propaganda.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:23 pm

Associated Press
Russian-American lobbyist says he was in Trump son's meeting ...

During the meeting, Akhmetshin said Veselnitskaya brought with her a plastic folder with printed-out documents that detailed what she believed was the flow of illicit funds to the Democratic National Committee. Veselnitskaya presented the contents of the documents to the Trump associates and suggested that making the information public could help the Trump campaign, he said.

"This could be a good issue to expose how the DNC is accepting bad money," Akhmetshin recalled her saying.

Trump Jr. asked the attorney if she had all the evidence to back up her claims, including whether she could demonstrate the flow of the money. But Veselnitskaya said the Trump campaign would need to research it more. After that, Trump Jr. lost interest, according to Akhmetshin.

"They couldn't wait for the meeting to end," he said.

Akhmetshin said he does not know if Veselnitskaya's documents were provided by the Russian government. He said he thinks she left the materials with the Trump associates. It was unclear if she handed the documents to anyone in the room or simply left them behind, he said.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:40 pm

Yahoo News - Michael Isikoff
White House shakes up legal team as probe gathers steam ...

At the same time, Jamie Gorelick, a politically well connected lawyer who has been representing Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law, is dropping out of the case, turning over all responsibilities for the Russia investigation to Abbe Lowell, another high profile Washington criminal defense lawyer.

In the coming weeks, Gorelick will be “wrapping up” her representation of Kushner on issues relating to ethics and his security clearance form, the sources said. But Lowell, a skilled litigator who has represented clients ranging from former Sen. John Edwards (D-N.C.) to corrupt Washington fixer Jack Abramoff, will exclusively represent Kushner in inquires being conducted by congressional committees and Justice Department special counsel Robert Mueller.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Return to “Trump Administration”