Mueller's investigation

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Mueller's investigation of Trump

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:21 pm

It's only 6 hours and 39 minutes until Saturday (EDT).

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:24 pm

I'm betting Maddow is going to have to toss out her planned show again.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:34 pm

Kendra wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:24 pm
I'm betting she doesn't ususally plan Fridays anymore.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:41 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:34 pm
Kendra wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:24 pm
I'm betting she doesn't ususally plan Fridays anymore.
:thumbs:

Tonight should be good. Broidy has already been on her radar.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:37 pm

McClatchy
Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

WASHINGTON

The Justice Department special counsel has evidence that Donald Trump’s personal lawyer and confidant, Michael Cohen, secretly made a late-summer trip to Prague during the 2016 presidential campaign, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

Confirmation of the trip would lend credence to a retired British spy’s report that Cohen strategized there with a powerful Kremlin figure about Russian meddling in the U.S. election.

It would also be one of the most significant developments thus far in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation of whether the Trump campaign and the Kremlin worked together to help Trump win the White House. Undercutting Trump’s repeated pronouncements that “there is no evidence of collusion,” it also could ratchet up the stakes if the president tries, as he has intimated he might for months, to order Mueller’s firing. ...

Cohen has vehemently denied for months that he ever has been in Prague or colluded with Russia during the campaign. Neither he nor his lawyer responded to requests for comment for this story. ...

Unconfirmed reports of a clandestine Prague meeting came to public attention in January 2017, with the publication of a dossier purporting to detail the Trump campaign’s interactions with Russia – a series of reports that former British MI6 officer Christopher Steele gathered from Kremlin sources for Trump’s political opponents, including Democrat Hillary Clinton’s campaign and the Democratic National Committee. Cohen’s alleged communications with the Russians were mentioned multiple times in Steele’s reports, which he ultimately shared with the FBI.
Adding:
Business Insider: Mueller may have evidence corroborating a key dossier allegation about Michael Cohen and Russian collusion
WaPo: Michael Cohen’s visiting Prague would be a huge development in the Russia investigation

¡Qué vergüenza!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:40 pm

Lots happening today in the World of Hurt Trump. I bet Fox "News" is covering the vote outlawing bestiality in Louisiana wall-to-wall.

boots

Post by boots » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:40 pm
Lots happening today in the World of Hurt Trump. I bet Fox "News" is covering the vote outlawing bestiality in Louisiana wall-to-wall.
That really got their goat.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:11 pm

:swoon:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:42 pm

That kind of dogged reporting about outlawing bestiality in Mississippi makes a lot of horse sense, and it will be reassuring for their viewers.

Hopefully, this will blossom into a snowball.
WWG1WGA

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:34 am

A Former Russian Spy Worked On A Trump Moscow Deal During The Presidential Campaign

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jasonleopold/d ... .wgVAaLWEo
This connection between Trump and Russian intelligence — made public here for the first time — is known to special counsel Robert Mueller’s team and raises fresh questions about the president’s connections to the Kremlin. The former agent, who had served in Russia’s military intelligence arm known as the GRU and later worked as an arms dealer, negotiated for financing from a Russian state-owned bank that was under US sanctions at the time.

But there is a twist: The former Russian spy also helped pass intelligence to the United States government on key national security matters, including al-Qaeda’s weapons caches and North Korea’s attempts to develop nuclear weapons. BuzzFeed News is not naming the Russian agent because two US intelligence officials said that doing so would endanger his life.

Plans to build a Trump tower in Moscow were underway in late 2015 and early 2016, while Trump was running for president. A key player in the effort was Felix Sater, who had worked with Trump on real estate deals around the world.

In November 2015, Sater emailed Trump’s longtime personal attorney, Michael Cohen, famously saying in one message that he would “get all of Putin’s team to buy in” on the Trump tower deal, and boasting that he could get Putin to publicly praise the Republican candidate during the campaign. There is no evidence that Sater delivered on those promises. Sater previously told BuzzFeed News that his emails amounted to salesmanship, and the whole Trump Moscow project ultimately fizzled.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Make no mistake about what’s at stake here: firing Rosenstein would be the same unconscionable assault on the rule of law as firing Mueller. He controls scope of the Mueller investigation and what becomes public. Both D’s and R’s should reject sham excuses to fire Rosenstein.1/2

2/2 And you can’t fire a prosecutor because you’re unhappy he approved a search warrant that relates to your own conduct. No one is above the law.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:47 pm

H/T Kendra

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:01 pm

Oh, H/O to the editorial cartoonists. They rock.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:41 am

McClatchy
Alleged Russian hacker extradited. Will he help Mueller probe?

WASHINGTON

The Czech Republic’s long-sought decision to surrender custody to the FBI of an alleged Russian hacker signals a potential break in the investigation of Kremlin meddling in the 2016 U.S. elections.

The Justice Department announced Friday afternoon Yevgeniy Nikulin’s sudden appearance in a San Francisco federal courtroom after an 18-month legal tug-of-war with the Russian government, which made a competing claim to extradite Nikulin.

Nikulin, 30, was arrested in a Prague restaurant on Oct. 5, 2016 and three days later, then-President Barack Obama made his first accusation of Russian meddling in the U.S. election. On Oct. 20, Nikulin was indicted on federal charges of hacking the private user databases of three U.S. internet giants, LinkedIn, Dropbox and Formspring, and mail accounts tied to Google. The indictment alleges Nikulin used several aliases, including Chinabig01 and itBlackHat.

Nikulin’s extradition is expected to lead to intense pressure from U.S. prosecutors for him to agree to a plea deal so that investigators can learn what he knows about the Kremlin’s cyber operations. Still to be learned is whether Nikulin has information that could assist Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s inquiry into whether Donald Trump’s presidential campaign colluded in Russia’s cyber attacks during the election.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:00 pm

Addie wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:41 am
McClatchy
Alleged Russian hacker extradited. Will he help Mueller probe?

WASHINGTON

The Czech Republic’s long-sought decision to surrender custody to the FBI of an alleged Russian hacker signals a potential break in the investigation of Kremlin meddling in the 2016 U.S. elections.
:snippity:
Nikulin’s extradition is expected to lead to intense pressure from U.S. prosecutors for him to agree to a plea deal so that investigators can learn what he knows about the Kremlin’s cyber operations. Still to be learned is whether Nikulin has information that could assist Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s inquiry into whether Donald Trump’s presidential campaign colluded in Russia’s cyber attacks during the election.
Good for the Czechs. :thumbs:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:28 pm

Without mentioning Mueller, Trump lawyers urge high court to bolster his power to fire executive officials

The Supreme Court is set to hear a seemingly minor case later this month on the status of administrative judges at the Securities and Exchange Commission, an issue that normally might only draw the interest of those accused of stock fraud. But the dispute turns on the president's power to hire and fire officials throughout the government. And it comes just as the White House is saying President Trump believes he has the power to fire special counsel Robert S. Mueller III. Trump's Solicitor Gen. Noel Francisco intervened in the SEC case to urge the high court to clarify the president's constitutional power to fire all "officers of the United States" who "exercise significant authority" under the law.

"The Constitution gives the president what the framers saw as the traditional means of ensuring accountability: the power to oversee executive officers through removal," he wrote in Lucia vs. SEC. "The president is accordingly authorized under our constitutional system to remove all principal officers, as well as all 'inferior officers' he has appointed."

In addition to representing the administration before the Supreme Court, Francisco, a former law clerk for the late Justice Antonin Scalia, could be in line to oversee the Mueller inquiry if Deputy Atty. Gen. Rod Rosenstein is fired. Atty. Gen Jeff Sessions has recused himself from the investigation.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:18 pm

I'm not sure this is the right thread for this tweet from Lawrence Tribe, but I'm sticking it here anyhow.
@tribelaw
My hunch: @AGSchneiderman is carrying the ball on hacking into NY computers and other serious crimes by Trump’s inner circle — the crimes Mueller has carefully avoided charging under applicable federal laws. Avoiding NY’s Double Jeopardy trap while cutting off T’s pardon Power.
I don't have a ton of faith in Lawrence Tribe, but in this case, I'm hoping he's spot on, and I'm hoping by "inner circle" Tribe is referring to Jr. donald, Eric, Ivanka and Kushner.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:19 pm

You don't approve of Professor Tribe?

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:25 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:19 pm
I share political views with Tribe, but I find him a little too self-promoting. In addition, he has occasionally jumped the gun in his tweets, announcing something that later turns out to be less than accurate. To his credit, he does admit his mistakes, a fairly rare occurrence with Harvard profs.

much ado

Post by much ado » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:26 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:18 pm
I'm not sure this is the right thread for this tweet from Lawrence Tribe, but I'm sticking it here anyhow.
@tribelaw
My hunch: @AGSchneiderman is carrying the ball on hacking into NY computers and other serious crimes by Trump’s inner circle — the crimes Mueller has carefully avoided charging under applicable federal laws. Avoiding NY’s Double Jeopardy trap while cutting off T’s pardon Power.
I don't have a ton of faith in Lawrence Tribe, but in this case, I'm hoping he's spot on, and I'm hoping by "inner circle" Tribe is referring to Jr. donald, Eric, Ivanka and Kushner.
Well, that speculation makes a lot of sense to me. What about DJT himself. Can a sitting President be charged with a crime in a state court, or does the state have to wait until he is no longer in office? Just a theoretical question here... :-

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:53 pm

much ado wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Well, that speculation makes a lot of sense to me. What about DJT himself. Can a sitting President be charged with a crime in a state court, or does the state have to wait until he is no longer in office? Just a theoretical question here... :-
That Maryland emoluments lawsuit is still in the works, but we'll see....
A federal judge has ruled that a lawsuit alleging President Trump is violating the anti-corruption sections of the Constitution, known as the emoluments clauses, can proceed.

Federal District Judge Peter Messitte, in Greenbelt, Md., ruled that Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh and District of Columbia Attorney General Karl Racine have legal standing to sue Trump. They allege that Trump wrongly profits when foreign officials do business at the hotel he owns near the White House.

This is the first victory for plaintiffs in the three emoluments lawsuits against Trump. A federal judge in New York City ruled in December that plaintiffs in a separate suit lacked standing; that case is being appealed. A hearing in a third lawsuit is scheduled for June 7.
https://www.npr.org/2018/03/28/59773448 ... to-proceed

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:55 pm

much ado wrote:
I don't believe there's any case law on this, but it seems like a fairly obvious constitutional principle that a state cannot charge the sitting POTUS with a crime, lest states who are unhappy about the election results try to do so in order to overturn the results of an election. Can you imagine Texas charging Obama with state crimes?

However, I would also think it's apparent that, given this likely immunity from prosecution for state crimes while in office, any statutes of limitation for state crimes would be tolled during the President's time in office.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:57 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:53 pm
much ado wrote:

That Maryland emoluments lawsuit is still in the works, but we'll see....
A federal judge has ruled that a lawsuit alleging President Trump is violating the anti-corruption sections of the Constitution, known as the emoluments clauses, can proceed.

Federal District Judge Peter Messitte, in Greenbelt, Md., ruled that Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh and District of Columbia Attorney General Karl Racine have legal standing to sue Trump. They allege that Trump wrongly profits when foreign officials do business at the hotel he owns near the White House.

This is the first victory for plaintiffs in the three emoluments lawsuits against Trump. A federal judge in New York City ruled in December that plaintiffs in a separate suit lacked standing; that case is being appealed. A hearing in a third lawsuit is scheduled for June 7.
https://www.npr.org/2018/03/28/59773448 ... to-proceed
Totally different issue at play there. First, Clinton v. Jones already tells us that state civil actions can proceed against the President, because (SCOTUS reasoned) they do not substantially interfere with the performance of his duties. The same cannot be said for criminal prosecutions. Additionally, the Emoluments Clause is not a criminal statute, so you cannot infer the fact that such a case has not yet been dismissed as standing for the principle that a state can prosecute the sitting President.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:02 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:57 pm
:snippity:

Totally different issue at play there. First, Clinton v. Jones already tells us that state civil actions can proceed against the President, because (SCOTUS reasoned) they do not substantially interfere with the performance of his duties. The same cannot be said for criminal prosecutions. Additionally, the Emoluments Clause is not a criminal statute, so you cannot infer the fact that such a case has not yet been dismissed as standing for the principle that a state can prosecute the sitting President.
Thanks for the correction and clarification.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:33 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:25 pm
TexasFilly wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:19 pm
I share political views with Tribe, but I find him a little too self-promoting. In addition, he has occasionally jumped the gun in his tweets, announcing something that later turns out to be less than accurate. To his credit, he does admit his mistakes, a fairly rare occurrence with Harvard profs.
Tribe helped me get through Constitutional Law in law skool. I'm not sure what you mean by self-promoting.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Return to “Trump Administration”