Post by fierceredpanda » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:32 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:09 am
Jennifer Rubin, also WaPo:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ri ... 87136505f7

Ms. Rubin touches only lightly on Rosenstein but:

Why hasn't Rod Rosenstein recused himself :?:
2 possibilities:

1) Avoiding the "turtles all the way down" problem of recusal following recusal.
2) (More likely) Because the next person up after Rosenstein is Associate Attorney General Rachel Brand. Brand is problematic for a number of reasons. First: She doesn't have Rosenstein's extensive prosecutorial experience - she's a political lawyer. She actually has no prosecution experience at all. She's just got a Harvard JD, the right clerkships, and gone back and forth between big name firms and legal positions with Republicans. In short, she isn't qualified to oversee a national security investigation like this. At all. Rosenstein was US Attorney for Maryland for a long time, and has a reputation as a very solid prosecutor. Second: She was involved in the Bush Administration US Attorney firing scandal (the same one that gave us Alberto Gonzales saying "I don't recall" seventy-some odd times in one hearing, and resulted in White House DOJ liason Monica Goodling having to receive immunity from prosecution and getting reprimanded by the Virginia Bar). Specifically, Brand was going to replace one of the US Attorneys who was going to be bounced for not grinding political axes by means of criminal prosecutions. The Bush Administration thought she'd be more inclined to base her decisions on politics than evidence. Does this sound like someone who should be overseeing a probe of this magnitude with huge political ramifications?

Oh, and also Rosenstein was almost certainly interviewed by the agents/prosecutors in the Mueller probe, and they would have raised a stink if they had a problem with him staying in the loop. My guess is that he went over the letter he wrote about Comey and his reasons for writing it.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Mueller's investigation of Trump

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:41 pm

:like:

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:45 pm

Thanks, fierceredpanda! :thumbs:

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:51 pm

You are most certainly welcome, NMGirl. :bighug:

And, hey, it got me a thumbs-up from :sterngard: - so my day is officially made.

:grouphug:

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:35 am

LA Times
Mueller calls back at least one participant in key meeting with Russians at Trump Tower

Special counsel Robert S. Mueller III has recalled for questioning at least one participant in a controversial meeting with a Kremlin-connected Russian lawyer at Trump Tower in June 2016, and is looking into President Trump’s misleading claim that the discussion focused on adoption, rather than an offer to provide damaging information about Hillary Clinton.

Some defense lawyers involved in the case view Mueller’s latest push as a sign that investigators are focusing on possible obstruction of justice by Trump and several of his closest advisors for their statements about the politically sensitive meeting, rather than for collusion with the Russians.

Investigators also are exploring the involvement of the president’s daughter, Ivanka Trump, who did not attend the half-hour sit-down on June 9, 2016, but briefly spoke with two of the participants, a Russian lawyer and a Russian-born Washington lobbyist. Details of the encounter were not previously known.

It occurred at the Trump Tower elevator as the Russian lawyer, Natalia Veselnitskaya, and the lobbyist, Rinat Akhmetshin, were leaving the building and consisted of pleasantries, a person familiar with the episode said. But Mueller’s investigators want to know every contact the two visitors had with Trump’s family members and inner circle. ...

The Times is not identifying the individual Mueller has asked to return for further questioning as part of an agreement to keep the identity confidential.
Adding:
WaPo - Jennifer Rubin: Distinguished person of the week: One man wouldn’t join in Trump’s skulduggery

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:46 pm

The Hill
Papadopoulos's fiancée says she interviewed with Mueller's team

The fiancée of a former Trump campaign aide who pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI last year revealed in a new interview that she spoke with investigators on Robert Mueller's special counsel team. ...

Mangiante said that federal investigators asked "a lot of questions about Joseph Mifsud," a London-based professor who told Papadopoulos in 2016 that Russia had "dirt" on Hillary Clinton.

Mangiante, an Italian lawyer who previously worked for the European Parliament, said she met the Trump aide last year over LinkedIn after noticing they had a mutual connection, Mifsud. ...

Mangiante says she was served with a subpoena to interview with Mueller's team days after Papadopoulos was arrested by FBI agents last July. ...

Papadopoulos, a former member of the Trump campaign's foreign policy team, tried to arrange a meeting between Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin during the campaign after hearing from Mifsud that the Russian government had a stash of "thousands" of hacked Democratic emails.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:26 pm

BD0DD78E-80DA-4C7B-BC4D-C89A5E3C197C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If thoughts and prayers weren’t free, nobody would offer them.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:50 pm

Love it.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:58 pm

:yeah: :rotflmao:

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:51 am

So this lawyer is on Twitter...
Barnes.JPG

I asked for a cite and...

Immunity.JPG

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/421/491/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Avatar: Toni Holt Kramer, founder of a Trump fan club called The Trumpettes, taken New Years Eve at Mar-A-Lago.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:35 pm

Business Insider
Mueller's latest move undermines Trump's claim that he isn't being investigated ...

Trump said Saturday, in response to a reporter's question about whether he would agree to be interviewed if asked to do so by Mueller, that there was "no collusion" and "no crime" and that "everybody tells me I'm not under investigation."

But The Times' report appears to undermine that claim.

Trump is a key figure in several threads of the Russia investigation, and Mueller is said to be building an obstruction-of-justice case against him based on his decision to fire FBI director James Comey last May. Comey was overseeing the Russia investigation at the time, and Trump told NBC's Lester Holt that "this Russia thing" had been a factor in his decision.

Legal experts said Mueller's focus on Trump's involvement in issuing the statement about the Russia meeting is likely an attempt to establish a pattern of conduct and intent, which is critical to proving obstruction of justice.

"It also shows that he's interested in attempts to conceal or shape testimony. The President's actions are under scrutiny," former federal prosecutor Renato Mariotti wrote on Twitter.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:47 am

Initial talks underway about Trump interview in Mueller Russia probe

Anticipating that Special Counsel Robert Mueller will ask to interview President Donald Trump, the president’s legal team is discussing a range of potential options for the format, including written responses to questions in lieu of a formal sit-down, according to three people familiar with the matter.

Lawyers for Trump have been discussing with FBI investigators a possible interview by the special counsel with the president as part of the inquiry into whether Trump’s campaign colluded with Russia during the 2016 election.

The discussions were described by one person with direct knowledge as preliminary and ongoing. Trump’s legal team is seeking clarification on whether the president would be interviewed directly by Mueller, as well as the legal standard for when a president can be interviewed, the location of a possible interview, the topics and the duration. But the president’s team is also seeking potential compromises that could avoid an interview altogether, two of those interviewed told NBC News.

With the possibility now looming that the president himself could be subject to an interview by the FBI or Mueller’s investigators, Trump’s legal team has been debating whether it would be possible to simply avoid it. One individual familiar with the strategy said those internal discussions within Trump’s legal team began shortly after the president’s former campaign manager, Paul Manafort, was indicted in late October for money laundering in connection with his business dealings with Ukraine.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... d_nn_tw_ma

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:15 am

Everybody else, quick, hide under the bus.
Slim Cognito wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:47 am

But the president’s team is also seeking potential compromises that could avoid an interview altogether, two of those interviewed told NBC News.

¡Qué vergüenza!

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:08 am

Slim Cognito wrote:

But the president’s team is also seeking potential compromises that could avoid an interview altogether, two of those interviewed told NBC News.
Does Trump not realize that open hearings with him on the stand would be the best ratings ever?

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:48 am

Slim Cognito wrote:

:snippity:
Also. Too.
In addition to the possibility of suggesting the president submit written responses in place of an interview, a second person familiar with the president’s legal strategy said another possibility being contemplated was an affidavit signed by the president affirming he was innocent of any wrongdoing and denying any collusion. It was not clear what such an affidavit might state regarding the president’s firing of former FBI Director James Comey in May 2017 at a time when Comey was leading the Russia probe.
Is it me or do they seem desperate to find a way to keep Trump testifying in person? :lol:

Birfers are toast

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:57 am

Someone is on CNN talking about the possibility that Trump may testify in public and under oath. There is absolutely no value in having Trump testify under oath, its a distinction I don't think his mind is capable of comprehending, that sometimes its important to not lie. Even under oath, if he were to say at midnight that it was dark outside, I'd have to look out the window before I'd believe it.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:05 am

"Ahh, but the strawberries that's... that's where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic... that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox DID exist, and I'd have produced that key if they hadn't of pulled the Caine out of action. I, I, I know now they were only trying to protect some fellow officers.."

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:07 am

Gregg wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:57 am
Someone is on CNN talking about the possibility that Trump may testify in public and under oath. There is absolutely no value in having Trump testify under oath, its a distinction I don't think his mind is capable of comprehending, that sometimes its important to not lie. Even under oath, if he were to say at midnight that it was dark outside, I'd have to look out the window before I'd believe it.
IMHO an interview not under oath is just an opportunity for him to lie to the special prosecutor and be charged with obstruction of justice or lying to the feds like the coffee boy. As a not criminal lawyer, if I had made the mistake of representing him, I wouldn't want him interviewed or testifying under oath. What a nightmare.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:08 am

Chilidog wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:05 am
"Ahh, but the strawberries that's... that's where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic... that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox DID exist, and I'd have produced that key if they hadn't of pulled the Caine out of action. I, I, I know now they were only trying to protect some fellow officers.."
Great quote! James Cagney was superb in that role!!!

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:12 am

James cagney ?

:o :shock:

No. Just no.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:34 am

Chilidog wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:12 am
James cagney ?

:o :shock:

No. Just no.
My bad. I was thinking of Mister Roberts.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:44 am

:swoon:

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:46 am

At least I read the book. I saw too many movies after that. :oops:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:56 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:46 am
At least I read the book. I saw too many movies after that. :oops:
I have a first edition copy of the book.

And I'm a big Boggie fan.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:05 pm

I confess, as a criminal defense attorney, I don't get this at all. He's the President of the United States. Like it or not, the current DOJ thinking is that POTUS cannot be indicted while in office, and as such the only body with the power to force the issue is the House and Senate via impeachment proceedings. Which will not happen under the present composition of Congress. It is exceedingly rare that I would advise any client who was the target of an investigation to agree to give testimony under oath or even meet with the prosecutors off-the-record unless a proffer was being made or an immunity agreement had been struck.

More to the point, I don't see the downside for Trump if he just tells Mueller to kick rocks. Sure, it goes back on Trump's promise that he absolutely would testify under oath, but his supporters don't care, and a majority of Congress doesn't care. Maybe I'm being overly cynical, but it seems like the only play for Team Trump here is to stonewall Mueller.

"Want to subpoena me? Fuck off, I'm the President. Cite me for contempt? Fuck off, I'm the President."

Return to “Trump Administration”