Mueller's investigation

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Mueller's investigation of Trump

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:21 pm

How about if Mueller is NOT investigating it? Does that make it relevant. :confused:

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:24 pm

Bloomberg
Trump's Allies Turn to TV to Warn Him Off a Mueller Interview

As Donald Trump’s lawyers continue to negotiate terms of an interview with Special Counsel Robert Mueller, the president’s allies are increasingly trying to warn him against it, using one of the few methods they have -- television.

Trump’s longtime friends and advisers have grown increasingly concerned that a face-to-face interview with Mueller could derail his presidency and are hoping to catch the president’s ear during his hours of channel-surfing, said one such adviser. In recent weeks, Trump’s outside advisers have gone on Fox News, CNN, and ABC’s “Good Morning America” with almost identical talking points about the risks of a Mueller interview.

The renewed urgency comes after Trump told reporters last month he would “love to” speak to Mueller, a statement his lawyers later tried to soften as they continue discussing the terms for a possible interview. With Chief of Staff John Kelly trimming back access to Trump, those outside the West Wing have taken to television -- and sometimes Twitter-- as a main method of communication given the hours Trump spends with a TV on nearby.

The advice from Trump’s friends has been nearly unanimous against a face-to-face interview, with most advocating for some form of written response to questions. While his allies say they believe Trump has done nothing wrong, they question Mueller’s intentions and the voluble Trump’s ability to avoid unintentional misstatements that could be turned into a perjury charge.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:36 pm

Why doesn't Trump just let the idiots on Fox & Friends make all the decisions?

Since he does whatever they say, just move them into the White House and avoid having to communicate their decisions to Kelly. Steve Doocy can tell Co-President* Kelly what to do.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:51 pm

Here's why the stories about new people coming into the White House are either pure bullshit or wishful thinking by Trump's staff.

*clears throat*

Because anyone who joins the staff now can look forward to six-figure legal fees even if they don't know anything about anything.

The end.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:18 pm

Is anyone else watching the unfolding of this farce reminded of Autumn of the Patriarch?

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:56 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:18 pm
Is anyone else watching the unfolding of this farce reminded of Autumn of the Patriarch?
Which farce? ;)

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:12 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
No. But I am reminded of a community theater attempt at Noises Off.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:15 pm

Trump's White House. Reminds me of Colonel Aureliano Buendía's forlorn Palace. And the two have similar morals.

At the beginning of the book, IIRC, the narrator remarks on the fact that the ocean in the harbor is missing, because the banana republic dictator sold it.

X3

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:31 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:12 pm
RoadScholar wrote:
No. But I am reminded of a community theater attempt at Noises Off.
Even better. :lol: :thumbs:

X3

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:36 pm
Why doesn't Trump just let the idiots on Fox & Friends make all the decisions?

Since he does whatever they say, just move them into the White House and avoid having to communicate their decisions to Kelly. Steve Doocy can tell Co-President* Kelly what to do.
Why not outsource the Oval Office to the Faix News premises? :think:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:36 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:51 pm
Here's why the stories about new people coming into the White House are either pure bullshit or wishful thinking by Trump's staff.

*clears throat*

Because anyone who joins the staff now can look forward to six-figure legal fees even if they don't know anything about anything.

The end.
Plus the benefits of being yelled at by higher ups over their goofs or disemboweled by the press for same goofs.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:59 am

Politico
FBI surveillance of Carter Page might have picked up Bannon

The FBI was monitoring Carter Page when the former Trump campaign adviser says he spoke with Trump adviser Steve Bannon about Russia in January 2017, raising the strong possibility that the FBI intercepted a conversation between the two men.

Page told Congress in November about the call. But it has been cast into a new light by last week’s release of a Republican memo revealing that the FBI was monitoring Page’s communications at the time.

“If Page was using one of his standard phones, it was probably picked up," said Elizabeth Goitein, a former Justice Department trial attorney and congressional counsel who co-directs the Brennan Center for Justice's Liberty and National Security Program. ...

Experts in national security law said the FBI would have retained the conversation as evidence if it seemed pertinent to their investigation into allegations that Trump associates coordinated with the Kremlin — an inquiry that has since widened to focus on whether any officials, including Trump himself, tried to obstruct the probe.

Bannon, once among Trump’s most trusted campaign and White House advisers, is expected to meet soon with special counsel Robert Mueller.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:01 am

WIRED - Garrett M. Graff
Robert Mueller’s Investigation Is Larger—and Further Along—Than You Think

President Trump claimed in a tweet over the weekend that the controversial Nunes memo “totally vindicates” him, clearing him of the cloud of the Russia investigation that has hung over his administration for a year now.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

In fact, if anything, the Mueller investigation appears to have been picking up steam in the past three weeks—and homing in on a series of targets.

Last summer, I wrote an analysis exploring the “known unknowns” of the Russia investigation—unanswered but knowable questions regarding Mueller’s probe. Today, given a week that saw immense sturm und drang over Devin Nunes’ memo—a document that seems purposefully designed to obfuscate and muddy the waters around Mueller’s investigation—it seems worth asking the opposite question: What are the known knowns of the Mueller investigation, and where might it be heading?

The first thing we know is that we know it is large.

We speak about the “Mueller probe” as a single entity, but it’s important to understand that there are no fewer than five (known) separate investigations under the broad umbrella of the special counsel’s office—some threads of these investigations may overlap or intersect, some may be completely free-standing, and some potential targets may be part of multiple threads. But it’s important to understand the different “buckets” of Mueller’s probe.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:51 pm

Does the recent resignation of Brand signal a move by Trump to fire Mueller?

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:08 pm

I wonder if this will end up in Mueller's investigation.

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/09/don ... ction-nsa/
The United States intelligence community has been conducting a top-secret operation to recover stolen classified U.S. government documents from Russian operatives, according to sources familiar with the matter. The operation has also inadvertently yielded a cache of documents purporting to relate to Donald Trump and Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election.

Over the past year, American intelligence officials have opened a secret communications channel with the Russian operatives, who have been seeking to sell both Trump-related materials and documents stolen from the National Security Agency and obtained by Russian intelligence, according to people involved with the matter and other documentary evidence. The channel started developing in early 2017, when American and Russian intermediaries began meeting in Germany. Eventually, a Russian intermediary, apparently representing some elements of the Russian intelligence community, agreed to a deal to sell stolen NSA documents back to the U.S. while also seeking to include Trump-related materials in the package.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:15 pm

The pee tape!!!!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:15 pm
The pee tape!!!!
:pray: :pray: :pray:

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:37 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:51 pm
I don't think so. Possibly it's just a lucrative career opportunity she can't pass up (chief law officer at Walmart is a pretty big deal).

And possibly her decision could have been influenced by chats she's had with her boss concerning political strategies which might play out and how her role might impact her future career possibilities. No one really wants to be in Bork's shoes come Saturday night, especially not someone who is relatively young and with the kind of resume that is nice for a possible future judgeship.

I'm reasonably certain Trump didn't direct or even suggest her removal - she's potentially his closest ally at RFK, if only because she's connected to the Christian right and they think Trump is the second coming of Jesus despite Trump being unJesuslike on every possible front.

I also doubt Rosenstein or Sessions pressured her to leave. But Rosenstein might have suggested some weeks back that now would be a good time to answer calls from private sector headhunters if Brand wanted to get out unscathed. And he might take the opportunity to elevate a trusted career lawyer to be the de facto #3 until or unless a new appointment can be made (That's going to be a bruiser of a confirmation process.)

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:52 pm

gupwalla wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:37 pm
Chilidog wrote:
I don't think so. Possibly it's just a lucrative career opportunity she can't pass up (chief law officer at Walmart is a pretty big deal).

And possibly her decision could have been influenced by chats she's had with her boss concerning political strategies which might play out and how her role might impact her future career possibilities. No one really wants to be in Bork's shoes come Saturday night, especially not someone who is relatively young and with the kind of resume that is nice for a possible future judgeship.

I'm reasonably certain Trump didn't direct or even suggest her removal - she's potentially his closest ally at RFK, if only because she's connected to the Christian right and they think Trump is the second coming of Jesus despite Trump being unJesuslike on every possible front.

I also doubt Rosenstein or Sessions pressured her to leave. But Rosenstein might have suggested some weeks back that now would be a good time to answer calls from private sector headhunters if Brand wanted to get out unscathed. And he might take the opportunity to elevate a trusted career lawyer to be the de facto #3 until or unless a new appointment can be made (That's going to be a bruiser of a confirmation process.)
I think you and Chili are saying essentially the same thing.

She isn't leaving because she's being swept away. She may well be leaving because she sees the wave coming.

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:02 pm

Somerset wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:52 pm
Entirely possible, and if so, "Great minds..." and all that. I'll bask in the shade of Chili's glory any day.

I would shade my interpretation a bit - I don't know that Trump is planning to fire Mueller, but I am fairly confident that Rosenstein is making moves to Massacre-proof his shop just in case.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:34 pm

Somerset wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:52 pm
gupwalla wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:37 pm
Chilidog wrote:

She isn't leaving because she's being swept away. She may well be leaving because she sees the wave coming.
Or like before a tsunami, when smart folks see the ocean disappear and say to themselves “that doesn’t look good.”

X3

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:07 am

New York Times Op Ed
Is Devin Nunes Obstructing Justice?

As public scrutiny exposes deep flaws in the memo from the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, Devin Nunes, about alleged F.B.I. surveillance abuses, the committee’s Republicans are increasingly downplaying its significance. Mr. Nunes’s colleagues are right to seek some distance from this caper — not to mention other similar memos he has hinted at releasing. That’s because by writing and releasing the memo, the chairman may just have landed himself, and his staff members, in the middle of Robert Mueller’s obstruction of justice investigation.

This risk emerged when Repesentative Mike Quigley, a Democrat on the committee, asked Mr. Nunes whether he or his staff coordinated the memo with the White House. Mr. Nunes said he had not — but refused to answer the same question about his staff. Facing a second round of questions on this issue during a committee meeting last week, Mr. Nunes again demurred, except to read a narrow statement that the White House was not involved in the actual drafting.

In additional comments to the press, the committee staff director noted the memo was a “‘team effort’ that involved investigators who had access to source material.”

Given Mr. Nunes’s own close relations to the White House as a former member of the executive committee of the Trump transition team, and his previous history conferring with White House officials on matters under investigation by his committee, it is fair to surmise that his staff, perhaps at his direction, may have coordinated the memo with the White House.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Politico
Trump budget anticipates Mueller investigation will stretch into fiscal year 2019

President Donald Trump's new budget projects that special counsel Robert Mueller's office will still be in business in fiscal year 2019 — even though White House officials have repeatedly said they expect the probe to wrap up soon.

The budget projects that Mueller's team will keep spending at its current rate of about $10 million per year in the next fiscal year, which starts in October.

Mueller's prosecutors have a criminal case pending against Trump's former campaign chairman Paul Manafort and deputy Rick Gates. No trial date has been set, but the judge suggested last month that a trial could start in August or September. If it does, the trial and any appeal would almost certainly extend into the next fiscal year.

The White House has said it expects Mueller to finish soon; spokesman Raj Shah told Fox News last month that officials "believe it will end soon." But White House attorney Ty Cobb said Monday that Trump's team is not looking for Mueller's office to shut down its operations entirely, merely to resolve the parts of its investigation that focus on Trump.

“We’re not looking for these guys to close up shop, but we are interested in trying to get the president’s piece of this resolved quickly," Cobb told POLITICO.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:25 pm

NBC News
Top Justice Department official Brand quit partly over fear she might be asked to oversee Russia probe

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department's No. 3 attorney had been unhappy with her job for months before the department announced her departure on Friday, according to multiple sources close to Associate Attorney General Rachel Brand.

Brand grew frustrated by vacancies at the department and feared she would be asked to oversee the Russia investigation, the sources said.

She will be leaving the Justice Department in the coming weeks to take a position with Walmart as the company's executive vice president of global governance and corporate secretary, a job change that had been in the works for some time, the sources said.

As far back as last fall, Brand had expressed to friends that she felt overwhelmed and unsupported in her job, especially as many key positions under her jurisdiction had still not been filled with permanent, Senate-confirmed officials.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:20 pm

Rachel Brand - a real profile in courage.

Return to “Trump Administration”