Mueller's investigation of Trump

Chilidog

Re: FBI investigation of Trump

Post by Chilidog » Thu May 18, 2017 2:25 pm

Oh, how special

Joe Lieberman?

:brickwallsmall:

Joe Lieberman, the former Democratic vice-presidential nominee, is the frontrunner to be named FBI director, according to several White House officials and advisers.

Senior administration officials have told others in the last 12 hours that Trump is expected to pick Lieberman to replace FBI director James Comey, who was abruptly fired by Trump last week.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/1 ... ner-238563

Why don't they just go dig up Hoover and sprinkle zombie powder on him?

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu May 18, 2017 2:31 pm

Is Trump going to require a loyalty oath from his nominee?

much ado

Post by much ado » Thu May 18, 2017 2:36 pm

bob wrote:
Comey shot back, “No good lawyer.”

The room went silent.
And this is with whom the president decided to battle.
Trump picks his enemies well.

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu May 18, 2017 2:55 pm

Speaking of Jared's deep involvement.... and that meeting he forgot to disclose....

WSJ: Russian state bank secretly financed Trump hotel project--the bank whose head met with Kushner in December

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russian-st ... 1495031708
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 18, 2017 3:04 pm

bob wrote:
Yet even amid the stress of that time, Comey didn’t hesitate to force the issue of STELLAR WIND [the NSA spy program], standing up to the vice president. During one White House meeting, Comey said he couldn’t find a legal basis for the program.

“Others see it differently,” a scowling Cheney replied.

“The analysis is flawed—in fact, fatally flawed. No lawyer reading that could reasonably rely on it,” Comey said, his hand sweeping across the table dismissively.

Cheney’s counsel, the famously aggressive David Addington, standing in the back of the room, spoke up: “Well, I’m a lawyer,” he snapped, “and I did.”

The room went silent.
Yep..and now he is well and truly f*cked. (Nod to film "Snatched" and director, producer, writer Guy Ritchie.)
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu May 18, 2017 3:11 pm

June bug wrote:
noblepa wrote:But, if Mueller finds that there is no criminal collusion, and it appears that his investigation is fair, honest and complete, I am prepared to accept it.
I would agree with one caveat. If Mueller doesn't have enough evidence to indict, I don't expect him to give any information whatever. That would leave me with this question: Did they find there was no collusion or did they lack enough evidence to pursue that charge?

For that reason, I really want either Congressional Committee(s) or an independent commission to complete their non-criminal inquiries and publish the results. Then I'm prepared to accept.
Yeah, that's kind of how I feel. As much as I'd love to see Donald Trump leave office, I think the process is more important than the result. The allegations against him and his surrogates are serious and need to be investigated, and if it turns out after a thorough investigation that there is more smoke than fire, so be it. But at this point, given that all that has happened thus far, the entire thing has to be made public if it is to have any credibility.

bob

Post by bob » Thu May 18, 2017 3:20 pm

Maybenaut wrote:Yeah, that's kind of how I feel. As much as I'd love to see Donald Trump leave office, I think the process is more important than the result. The allegations against him and his surrogates are serious and need to be investigated, and if it turns out after a thorough investigation that there is more smoke than fire, so be it.
And, of course, the complement is also true: the reaction to the investigation is also important. Like how SovCits can turn a speeding ticket into prison time. Or how a third-rate burglary led to articles of impeachment.
Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu May 18, 2017 4:52 pm

much ado wrote:
bob wrote:

The room went silent.
Trump picks THE BEST enemies. :rotflmao:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

much ado

Post by much ado » Thu May 18, 2017 4:54 pm

RVInit wrote:
much ado wrote:
bob wrote: And this is with whom the president decided to battle.
Trump picks THE BEST enemies. :rotflmao:
There are NO enemies like Trump's enemies! :rotflmao:

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu May 18, 2017 6:20 pm

Addie wrote:New York Times
Advisers Urge Trump to Hire an Outside Lawyer

WASHINGTON — Several White House advisers and personal associates of President Trump have urged him to hire an experienced outside lawyer to help him deal with issues arising from a surging controversy over whether his campaign had ties to Russia, according to several people briefed on the conversations.

The recommendations came even before a special counsel was named on Wednesday to lead the investigation into any collusion between the Trump presidential campaign and Russian officials.

Mr. Trump’s aides and allies were said to be especially concerned by the revelation that James B. Comey, the F.B.I. director fired by Mr. Trump, has contemporaneous, detailed memos reconstructing conversations with the president.

While the office of the president is represented by the White House counsel, presidents in the past have employed outside lawyers when their private actions were called into question.
:mememe: I'm available. And I have experience representing sitting Presidents.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu May 18, 2017 6:45 pm

So, Rosenstien just called out Trump as a liar.

He knew that Trump intended to fire Comey before he wrote the memo that Trump cited as the reason for the firing.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu May 18, 2017 6:54 pm

Cross posting:

Mediaite
‘It’s Now…a Criminal Investigation’: After Deputy AG Briefing, Lindsey Graham Says Russia Probe Now Criminal

Following a rare briefing of the entire Senate by Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, Senator Lindsey Graham met with a pack of reporters on Capitol Hill to discuss the latest on the probe into Russian interference in the election.

And after Rosenstein’s appointment of former FBI Director Robert Mueller as special counsel, Graham announced that the probe has fundamentally changed in nature.

“It’s now considered a criminal investigation,” Graham said.

Graham added that Congress will now have “severely limited” ability to conduct any investigation, and seemed to suggest that some of his colleagues on the Hill who banged the drum for a special counsel didn’t fully grasp the ramifications.

“I think a lot of members want the special counsel to be appointed, but don’t understand that you’re pretty well knocked out of the game,” Graham said. “And that’s probably the way it should be.”
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu May 18, 2017 8:10 pm

Cross posting:

McClatchy
Trump-Russia is now a criminal matter, senators say after ‘sobering’ briefing ...

Graham said Rosenstein did not explain why the investigation had changed. But the characterization suggested that the probe had moved from a general inquiry into whether there had been collusion to one that had identified possible suspects.

Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., also said Rosenstein had declined to provide details of the case, citing “the uniqueness of the investigation.” But even without specifics, he said, the briefing was “sobering.”

“As it became clear how little he was willing to talk about it, it also became clear how broad this investigation that Mueller is about to undertake actually is,” Murphy said. ...

Congressional investigators “will have to be very leery of crossing into Mr. Mueller’s lane,” he [Graham] said. “Mr. Mueller will tell us what we can get and what we can’t.”

“There should be no concern with that,” said Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo. He noted, however, that the congressional probes would need to be respectful of the needs of the criminal investigation.
¡Qué vergüenza!

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu May 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote: :mememe: I'm available. And I have experience representing sitting Presidents.
You realize that you would need to spend a year on the playground with a bunch of fifth graders before you could communicate with him, yes?

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Thu May 18, 2017 8:25 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote: :mememe: I'm available. And I have experience representing sitting Presidents.
You realize that you would need to spend a year on the playground with a bunch of fifth graders before you could communicate with him, yes?
I don't have a playground of 5th graders but I do have a 5th grader and a 3rd grader living at home, and you are welcome to babysit them for a few weeks if you thinks it'll help - but I should warn you that my children are much better-behaved, much more articulate, much more intelligent, and much less egotistical than #45.

My brother in law has four two-year-olds and is always on the look-out for an au pair. But I'm afraid they're also better-behaved (yes, even with his son's tendency to paint his walls with poo) and more articulate than #45, too. Still, the offer stands!

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu May 18, 2017 8:39 pm

The Hill
Trump asked Comey when he would dispel investigation rumors

Weeks after taking office, President Trump asked FBI Director James Comey in a phone call when the FBI would publicly announce that he was not personally under investigation, The New York Times reported Thursday.

Comey, at the time, advised the president to go send the request to the Justice Department through White House counsel, rather than contacting him directly.

The top cop, who was abruptly fired by Trump last week, had reportedly grown concerned over a number of interactions with Trump and other White House officials that he felt compromised the FBI's autonomy.
Adding:

New York Times: Comey, Unsettled by Trump, Is Said to Have Wanted Him Kept at a Distance
¡Qué vergüenza!

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Thu May 18, 2017 8:52 pm

I find it a little funny that politicians and pundits keep catching themselves, saying "special prosec . . . er, special counsel." I realize that the current statute uses that terminology. But, um, Mueller is not there as anyone's defense counsel. He's there to conduct a criminal investigation and to PROSECUTE. :clap: :clap:

Edit because I had a mind blip.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu May 18, 2017 8:56 pm

NBC News
Flynn, Manafort Are Key Figures in Russia Probe Mueller Will Lead

Former Trump aides Michael Flynn and Paul Manafort have emerged as key figures in the FBI's investigation into Russian campaign interference, which has just been taken over by a special counsel, four law enforcement officials told NBC News.

Officials say multiple grand jury subpoenas and records requests have been issued in connection with the two men during the past six months in the ongoing probe into whether the Trump campaign colluded with Russian attempts to influence the election, an inquiry that will now be overseen by former FBI Director Robert Mueller.

The FBI, with the help of the Treasury Department, the CIA and other agencies, is examining evidence of possible contacts, money transfers and business relationships between a variety of Trump associates and Russian officials, the sources say. The investigation goes well beyond Flynn, Manafort and a possible American connection, to include how Russian intelligence services carried out the campaign of fake news and leaking hacked emails that intelligence officials say was meant to hurt Hillary Clinton and benefit Donald Trump. ...

Law enforcement officials tell NBC News that both Flynn and Manafort are formally considered "subjects" of a criminal investigation, though their lawyers say they have done nothing wrong. A "subject" is someone whose conduct is being examined by the investigation, and may be suspected of a crime.

The FBI investigation is a hybrid of both a criminal and counter intelligence probe. One source who viewed a grand jury subpoena in the Flynn case said it was unusual in that it did not specify any law that allegedly had been broken.
¡Qué vergüenza!

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Thu May 18, 2017 9:44 pm

I keep wondering who is going to make a deal with Mueller and testify against Trump to save their hide. I suspect Kushner. He's so sleazy, I wouldn't doubt he'd sell out father-in-law in a heartbeat. Plus, wouldn't that leave his wife in charge of the Trump billions millions thousands?

I can't help but think that one of the reasons everyone is being so reckless in the Trump administration is they smugly think that Trump will protect them by simply pardoning them all. Silly people. The only person Donald has ever protected is himself.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu May 18, 2017 9:59 pm

stoppingby wrote:I keep wondering who is going to make a deal with Mueller and testify against Trump to save their hide. I suspect Kushner. He's so sleazy, I wouldn't doubt he'd sell out father-in-law in a heartbeat. Plus, wouldn't that leave his wife in charge of the Trump billions millions thousands?

I can't help but think that one of the reasons everyone is being so reckless in the Trump administration is they smugly think that Trump will protect them by simply pardoning them all. Silly people. The only person Donald has ever protected is himself.
And Flynn, from appearances so far.

much ado

Post by much ado » Thu May 18, 2017 10:11 pm

pipistrelle wrote:And Flynn, from appearances so far.
Flynn must hold some REALLY damaging secret. I wonder what it could be? :think:

Are there any hints yet about what it could be?

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu May 18, 2017 10:18 pm

much ado wrote:

No, but "Stay strong."

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Thu May 18, 2017 10:36 pm

much ado wrote:

Maybe this is just because I watched "New York, I love you" episode of Master of None yesterday, where the big plot twist of the movie Death Castle is that the black guy is actually Nicolas Cage, but now I'm thinking the really damaging secret is (wait for it) - Donald Trump is actually Michael Flynn! :eek2:

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Fri May 19, 2017 12:09 am

Art strikes again, this time at the FBI:
DAKApUPUwAQ1tRS.jpg

For the full sequence, click on the link below.

https://www.pscp.tv/bellvisuals/1ZkKzypQlQyxv?t=40
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Trump Administration”