FBI investigation of Trump

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Re: FBI investigation of Trump

Post #151 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 18, 2017 9:42 am

Thanks for reminding us of Obama's egregious errors, Foggy. Perhaps teh Donald is correct about the special counsel............NOT!!!!!!!!

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RTH10260

Post #152 by RTH10260 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:48 am

tek wrote:
Conversations between Flynn and Kislyak accelerated after the Nov. 8 vote as the two discussed establishing a back channel for communication between Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin that could bypass the U.S. national security bureaucracy, which both sides considered hostile to improved relations, four current U.S. officials said. ...

Call me a dreamer, but I'm betting this was done with the full knowledge and approval of Trump.

I just wanted to pick this quote too, mini-ninjaded ;)

Did they really think they could keep up a "back channel" after inauguration, or even once the transition period started? Brain dead :brickwallsmall:

SLQ

Post #153 by SLQ » Thu May 18, 2017 9:53 am

My point was that the special "councel" :-D statute requires the AG to find that a criminal investigation is warranted. Rosenstein didn't say that, although he addressedthe other two necessary elements (conflict of interest/other exceptional circumstances and public interest). He expressly said he didn't find that criminal prosecution is warranted.

I get that he wants to convey he doesn't presuppose the outcome. That's good. But IMHO, he shouldn't have omitted the first element (criminal investigation is warranted) and grafted some of the phrasing on element one into his caveat (no finding that criminal prosecution is warranted.) To me, that is wordsmithing.

noblepa

Post #154 by noblepa » Thu May 18, 2017 9:55 am

This morning, on NPR, they interviewed a Senator (I think it was Amy Klobuchar, D-MN), who said she was prepared to accept a finding by Mueller that no criminal collusion took place.

Are we?

I like to think that I am intellectually honest enough to do so. I have thought for quite a while that some sort of independent investigation was necessary. I think Mueller is an excellent choice.

I would be disappointed though. A tiny voice inside me keeps saying "Nail the SOB".

Such a finding by Mueller would not mean that there was no Russian attempt to influence our election, although I'm sure that Trump and the right would shout from the rooftops that that is precisely what it meant. I think that the House and Senate must continue their own investigations.

Reality Check

Post #155 by Reality Check » Thu May 18, 2017 10:00 am

noblepa wrote:This morning, on NPR, they interviewed a Senator (I think it was Amy Klobuchar, D-MN), who said she was prepared to accept a finding by Mueller that no criminal collusion took place.

Are we?
:snippity:

I think the answer is "It depends". Will the justice department support Mueller or interfere with his investigation? Will he have the FBI and other agencies' full cooperation? Will Trump claim executive privilege?

Peace & Love & Light!

Rick Skalsky

RVInit

Post #156 by RVInit » Thu May 18, 2017 10:13 am

Reality Check wrote:
noblepa wrote:This morning, on NPR, they interviewed a Senator (I think it was Amy Klobuchar, D-MN), who said she was prepared to accept a finding by Mueller that no criminal collusion took place.

Are we?

I think the answer is "It depends". Will the justice department support Mueller or interfere with his investigation? Will he have the FBI and other agencies' full cooperation? Will Trump claim executive privilege?

:yeah: I have to say my willingness to accept the outcome will depend on whether it appears that the investigation is not shackled and prevented from coming to an honest conclusion. I have been very skeptical of the House and Senate investigations because there has been nothing but obfuscation and, in some cases, outright undermining by Republicans. That doesn't add up to anything that I can feel comfortable with. As long as Mueller is not thwarted and prevented from doing a thorough job and allowed to take it wherever it leads I will accept the outcome.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

RVInit

Post #157 by RVInit » Thu May 18, 2017 10:35 am

This is an older article on Lawfare, but worth reading again.

Of Course There’s Evidence Trump Colluded with Russian Intelligence

It has become a kind of mantra in the defense of Donald Trump on matters related to L’Affaire Russe that there’s no evidence, at least not yet, of “collusion” between the Trump campaign and the Russian active measures operation with respect to the 2016 election. :snippity:

The defense is erroneous. The reason? The premise, at least in a political sense, is actually false.

There is, in fact, copious evidence of at least tacit collaboration between the Russians and the Trump campaign, collaboration in which Trump personally participated on multiple occasions. But we have collectively discounted this cooperation for two related, and quite perverse, reasons: It was overt and public and it was legal. The consequence has been that we largely ignore it in discussing the matter.

It included open encouragement of the Russians to hack Democratic targets; denial that they had done so; encouragement of Wikileaks, which was publicly known to be effectively a publishing arm of the Russian operation, in publishing the fruits of the hacks; and publicly trumpeting the contents of stolen emails.

Most notoriously, on July 27, Trump stated during a news conference: “Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.” He later doubled down on the statement, tweeting:

https://www.lawfareblog.com/course-ther ... #pq=FEyhoq

--- George W Bush

kate520

Post #158 by kate520 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:17 am

They'll be asked that question by the press, of course. My take is that they don't want to seem too gleeful, at least at first, or give Brand Name X anything to point at and say 'See? It's a witch hunt the game is rigged Why don't you investigate them?'

Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

RVInit

Post #159 by RVInit » Thu May 18, 2017 11:45 am

Many of the CNN anchors are asking the question about why Trump has been unfailingly loyal to Flynn. I agree and believe this is huge. Maybe even YUGE. Trump has never been loyal to anyone except Trump. It looks mightily suspicious.

CNN is now announcing that Flynn will not cooperate with the Congressional subpoena.

--- George W Bush

Addie

Post #160 by Addie » Thu May 18, 2017 11:51 am

CNN

Inside an embattled Trump's most consequential evening of turmoil yet ...

The frustrations extend beyond the White House. One senior GOP source -- who has been in regular contact with Rosenstein, who helped execute the Comey firing, but Wednesday signed the order naming a special counsel -- said the deputy attorney general had become angry and exasperated with the Trump White House over their handling of the Comey matter.

Rosenstein, who was so upset after last week's proceedings that he was "talking about packing his bags," is throwing Trump "overboard" with this special counsel, the source suggested.

¡Qué vergüenza!

much ado

Post #161 by much ado » Thu May 18, 2017 11:59 am

Addie wrote:CNN

Inside an embattled Trump's most consequential evening of turmoil yet ...

The frustrations extend beyond the White House. One senior GOP source -- who has been in regular contact with Rosenstein, who helped execute the Comey firing, but Wednesday signed the order naming a special counsel -- said the deputy attorney general had become angry and exasperated with the Trump White House over their handling of the Comey matter.

Rosenstein, who was so upset after last week's proceedings that he was "talking about packing his bags," is throwing Trump "overboard" with this special counsel, the source suggested.

One of Trump's biggest strategic problems (there are many) is that he makes enemies of people with real power. That is exceedingly dangerous.

Addie

Post #162 by Addie » Thu May 18, 2017 12:09 pm

The Hill OpEd - Brent Budowsky

Why Trump will likely resign as Mueller pursues 'Putingate' ...

Readers should carefully read the article of impeachment of Richard Nixon passed by the House Judiciary Committee that involves obstruction of justice. More than one of the accusations in the obstruction article of impeachment passed by the committee is present today in the coverup of Putingate that is now imploding in real time.

Preet Bharara, the U.S. attorney in New York, whose office was investigating certain aspects of the scandal, was fired by the president. Sally Yates, then the acting attorney general presiding over the Justice Department side of the Putingate investigation, was fired shortly after she wisely and courageously tried to warn the White House of the dangers.

James Comey, the FBI director who was managing the FBI side of the investigation of Putingate, was fired by Trump after allegedly being asked both to make a loyalty pledge to the president and to shut down the investigation of retired General Michael Flynn, his ill-fated former national security advisor who is now rumored to be seeking a plea bargain.

Trump cannot act against Mueller the way he acted against Bharara, Yates and Comey. If he tries, he will be on the fast track to impeachment.

Nixon orchestrated the Saturday Night Massacre in one big move. In slow motion, Trump implemented the successive firing of the U.S. attorney in New York, the acting attorney general and the FBI director — the three leaders of the three crucial counterintelligence and law enforcement investigations.

¡Qué vergüenza!

noblepa

Post #163 by noblepa » Thu May 18, 2017 12:13 pm

Reality Check wrote:

Are we?

My question was predicated on the assumption the there is no overt obstruction of Mueller's investigation.

I fully expect Trump to invoke Executive Privilege. The House intelligence committee (there's an oxymoron if ever there was one) has already asked for, but not subpoena'd any and all memos, etc., by Jim Comey regarding the President. The WH hasn't yet weighed in on this, but I would actually be a little surprised if they don't invoke privilege. This would force Schiff to subpoena them, which would probably mean a court battle.

If the pressure on Mueller, or the interference in his investigation gets to be too much, he might very well resign, which would be very bad for Trump.

But, if Mueller finds that there is no criminal collusion, and it appears that his investigation is fair, honest and complete, I am prepared to accept it.

SLQ

Post #164 by SLQ » Thu May 18, 2017 12:14 pm

much ado wrote:One of Trump's biggest strategic problems (there are many) is that he makes enemies of people with real power. That is exceedingly dangerous.

His ego may be his worst enemy. He really thinks he's the Grand Poobah.

Addie

Post #165 by Addie » Thu May 18, 2017 12:26 pm

The Hill

Flynn says Trump still in contact, told him to ‘stay strong’: report

Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn in April told friends that he remains in contact with President Trump despite the ongoing investigation into Flynn's contact with Russia, according to a new report.

“I just got a message from the president to stay strong,” Yahoo News reported Flynn told supporters following a meal in Virginia.

Sources familiar with the conversation did not tell Yahoo the medium Trump used to deliver the message Flynn recounted during the discussion.

Yahoo’s sources added that Flynn has repeatedly dismissed the possibility of turning against Trump in exchange for leniency. He affirmed during the same conversation that he remained loyal.

The New York Times on Wednesday reported that Trump’s transition team knew that Flynn was under investigation regarding lobbying work prior to Inauguration Day. The retired Army lieutenant general admitted earlier this year that he lobbied on behalf of Turkey’s government, earning a payment of more than $500,000, and did not disclose the work. Sources told the Times that Flynn revealed the investigation to Trump during the campaign.

¡Qué vergüenza!

RVInit

Post #166 by RVInit » Thu May 18, 2017 12:56 pm

Seth Abramson's twitter "fast facts" regarding special counsel and Mueller.

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status ... 28/photo/1

--- George W Bush

Reality Check

Post #167 by Reality Check » Thu May 18, 2017 1:27 pm

RVInit wrote:Seth Abramson's twitter "fast facts" regarding special counsel and Mueller.

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status ... 28/photo/1

Excellent.

Peace & Love & Light!

Rick Skalsky

Addie

Post #168 by Addie » Thu May 18, 2017 1:34 pm

New York Times

Advisers Urge Trump to Hire an Outside Lawyer

WASHINGTON — Several White House advisers and personal associates of President Trump have urged him to hire an experienced outside lawyer to help him deal with issues arising from a surging controversy over whether his campaign had ties to Russia, according to several people briefed on the conversations.

The recommendations came even before a special counsel was named on Wednesday to lead the investigation into any collusion between the Trump presidential campaign and Russian officials.

Mr. Trump’s aides and allies were said to be especially concerned by the revelation that James B. Comey, the F.B.I. director fired by Mr. Trump, has contemporaneous, detailed memos reconstructing conversations with the president.

While the office of the president is represented by the White House counsel, presidents in the past have employed outside lawyers when their private actions were called into question.

¡Qué vergüenza!

HeatherGray

Post #169 by HeatherGray » Thu May 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Addie wrote:New York Times

WASHINGTON — Several White House advisers and personal associates of President Trump have urged him to hire an experienced outside lawyer to help him deal with issues arising from a surging controversy over whether his campaign had ties to Russia, according to several people briefed on the conversations.

The recommendations came even before a special counsel was named on Wednesday to lead the investigation into any collusion between the Trump presidential campaign and Russian officials.

Mr. Trump’s aides and allies were said to be especially concerned by the revelation that James B. Comey, the F.B.I. director fired by Mr. Trump, has contemporaneous, detailed memos reconstructing conversations with the president.

While the office of the president is represented by the White House counsel, pres
idents in the past have employed outside lawyers when their private actions were called into question.

I was just discussing with a friend about whether DT had lawyered up. Since White House Counsel is his long term lawyer, I doubt he sees the need. Wasn't that John Dean's position?

Dan1100

Post #170 by Dan1100 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:50 pm

Addie wrote:New York Times

While the office of the president is represented by the White House counsel, presidents in the past have employed outside lawyers when their private actions were called into question.

Amateurs. Of course Comey has "contemporaneous detailed memos" of the conversations with the President. That's because he's not totally incompetent. I have contemporaneous detailed memos of my calls to the cable company when they screwed up my bill and tried to charge me for a place I didn't live anymore.

SLQ

Post #171 by SLQ » Thu May 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Dan1100 wrote:Amateurs. Of course Comey has "contemporaneous detailed memos" of the conversations with the President. That's because he's not totally incompetent. I have contemporaneous detailed memos of my calls to the cable company when they screwed up my bill and tried to charge me for a place I didn't live anymore.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Touche. Don't we all?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #172 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 18, 2017 2:10 pm

Informative though lengthy article about Mueller and Comey throughout the years. Trump, Pence, Bannon, Mercer, Jared, Ivanka, Flynn, Ryan and McConnell are in deep you know what.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... fbi-215154

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

June bug

Post #173 by June bug » Thu May 18, 2017 2:11 pm

noblepa wrote:But, if Mueller finds that there is no criminal collusion, and it appears that his investigation is fair, honest and complete, I am prepared to accept it.

I would agree with one caveat. If Mueller doesn't have enough evidence to indict, I don't expect him to give any information whatever. That would leave me with this question: Did they find there was no collusion or did they lack enough evidence to pursue that charge?

For that reason, I really want either Congressional Committee(s) or an independent commission to complete their non-criminal inquiries and publish the results. Then I'm prepared to accept.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post #174 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 18, 2017 2:12 pm

SLQ wrote:
Dan1100 wrote:Amateurs. Of course Comey has "contemporaneous detailed memos" of the conversations with the President. That's because he's not totally incompetent. I have contemporaneous detailed memos of my calls to the cable company when they screwed up my bill and tried to charge me for a place I didn't live anymore.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Touche. Don't we all?

Keep those memos for at least 5 years. You never know.

bob

Post #175 by bob » Thu May 18, 2017 2:20 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/05/18/james-comey-trump-special-prosecutor-robert-mueller-fbi-215154

Yet even amid the stress of that time, Comey didn’t hesitate to force the issue of STELLAR WIND [the NSA spy program], standing up to the vice president. During one White House meeting, Comey said he couldn’t find a legal basis for the program.

“Others see it differently,” a scowling Cheney replied.

“The analysis is flawed—in fact, fatally flawed. No lawyer reading that could reasonably rely on it,” Comey said, his hand sweeping across the table dismissively.

Cheney’s counsel, the famously aggressive David Addington, standing in the back of the room, spoke up: “Well, I’m a lawyer,” he snapped, “and I did.”

Comey shot back, “No good lawyer.”

The room went silent.

And this is with whom the president decided to battle.

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Return to “Trump Administration”