FBI investigation of Trump

bob

Re: FBI investigation of Trump

Post #126 by bob » Wed May 17, 2017 7:34 pm

Estiveo wrote:Mueller stood up to W over warrantless surveillance and Obama liked him enough to extend his directorship at the FBI.

Ken Starr managed to expand Whitewater to include blowjobs, so maybe Mueller can expand Russia into emoluments and pussy grabbing.

I think Rosenstein played it down the middle: Mueller is serious and respected; someone the republicans can't lightly dismiss as a zealot, yet someone the democrats can't lightly accuse of whitewashing.

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Addie

Post #127 by Addie » Wed May 17, 2017 7:54 pm

That's a relief. :swoon:

¡Qué vergüenza!

much ado

Post #128 by much ado » Wed May 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Now what will Donald say? I can hardly wait. Should be fun.

Kendra

Post #129 by Kendra » Wed May 17, 2017 8:10 pm

much ado wrote:Now what will Donald say? I can hardly wait. Should be fun.

All this stuff hitting the fan and he's getting ready to leave the country. *rubs hands with glee*

bob

Post #130 by bob » Wed May 17, 2017 8:15 pm

much ado wrote:Now what will Donald say? I can hardly wait. Should be fun.

WaPo:
President Trump said in a statement Wednesday evening that he is confident the investigation will find no wrongdoing.

“As I have stated many times, a thorough investigation will confirm what we already know — there was no collusion between my campaign and any foreign entity,” he said. “I look forward to this matter concluding quickly. In the meantime, I will never stop fighting for the people and the issues that matter most to the future of our country.”

"Our country," as in Russia? :think:

And:
Peter Zeidenberg, who has worked for a past special counsel, called Mueller an “inspired choice’’ because he comes to the job with automatic credibility among both parties.

“He’s nominally a Republican, but he’s really not a political person at all,’’ said Zeidenberg, a lawyer now in private practice, who cautioned that such an investigation is likely to take a long time, and may not ultimately satisfy the public’s demand for a full accounting. “People are waiting for public answers to what happened, but that’s not his job. There won’t be a report or a press conference at the end of this from him, that’s not his role.’’

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

much ado

Post #131 by much ado » Wed May 17, 2017 8:28 pm

That does not sound like Donald's style. Is there any chance he actually wrote it?

Chilidog

Post #132 by Chilidog » Wed May 17, 2017 8:32 pm

much ado wrote:That does not sound like Donald's style. Is there any chance he actually wrote it?

You're right. It's longer than 140 characters and doesn't say "sad"

Kendra

Post #133 by Kendra » Wed May 17, 2017 8:36 pm

I don't see any exclamation! points!, but then again it's been a long day with little sleep.

SLQ

Post #134 by SLQ » Wed May 17, 2017 8:58 pm

much ado wrote:That does not sound like Donald's style. Is there any chance he actually wrote it?

However, it does echo what Huckabee said earlier this week (or was it last week):

"It's time to move on, and, frankly, it's time to focus on the things the American people care about," she added.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/332669-white-house-spokesperson-time-to-move-on-from-russia-probes

SLQ

Post #135 by SLQ » Wed May 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Regarding Rosenstein's announcement, here's what he said:

“My decision is not a finding that crimes have been committed or that any prosecution is warranted. I have made no such determination. What I have determined is that based upon the unique circumstances the public interest requires me to place this investigation under the authority of a person who exercises a degree of independence from the normal chain of command.’’

Here's the statute:

§ 600.1 Grounds for appointing a Special Counsel.
The Attorney General, or in cases in which the Attorney General is recused, the Acting Attorney General, will appoint a Special Counsel when he or she determines that criminal investigation of a person or matter is warranted and -

(a) That investigation or prosecution of that person or matter by a United States Attorney's Office or litigating Division of the Department of Justice would present a conflict of interest for the Department or other extraordinary circumstances; and

(b) That under the circumstances, it would be in the public interest to appoint an outside Special Counsel to assume responsibility for the matter.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/28/600.1

So I conclude that he must have determined that a criminal investigation is warranted. Why the wordsmithing?

June bug

Post #136 by June bug » Wed May 17, 2017 9:11 pm

SLQ wrote:So I conclude that he must have determined that a criminal investigation is warranted. Why the wordsmithing?

Maybe because Mr. Rosenstein is not suicidal? :mrgreen:

RoadScholar

Post #137 by RoadScholar » Wed May 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Yeah, I took that as the time-honored "Let the chips fall where they may" statement.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Notorial Dissent

Post #138 by Notorial Dissent » Wed May 17, 2017 11:47 pm

June bug wrote:
SLQ wrote:So I conclude that he must have determined that a criminal investigation is warranted. Why the wordsmithing?

Maybe because Mr. Rosenstein is not suicidal? :mrgreen:

Certainly more prudent than some people recently, but I doubt it will play well with either his boss or his boss's boss, they just don't seem to see things sensibly or rationally and aren't in to or cognizant of subtle, or rational for that matter. :rotflmao:

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Addie

Post #139 by Addie » Thu May 18, 2017 6:48 am

Reuters

Donald Trump campaign team made contact with Russian officials at least 18 times during presidential campaign: report

Michael Flynn and other advisers to Donald Trump’s campaign were in contact with Russian officials and others with Kremlin ties in at least 18 calls and emails during the last seven months of the 2016 presidential race, current and former U.S. officials familiar with the exchanges told Reuters.

The previously undisclosed interactions form part of the record now being reviewed by FBI and congressional investigators probing Russian interference in the U.S. presidential election and contacts between Trump’s campaign and Russia.

Six of the previously undisclosed contacts described to Reuters were phone calls between Kislyak and Trump advisers, including Flynn, Trump’s first national security adviser, three current and former officials said. ...

Conversations between Flynn and Kislyak accelerated after the Nov. 8 vote as the two discussed establishing a back channel for communication between Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin that could bypass the U.S. national security bureaucracy, which both sides considered hostile to improved relations, four current U.S. officials said. ...

The people who described the contacts to Reuters said they had seen no evidence of wrongdoing or collusion between the campaign and Russia in the communications reviewed so far. But the disclosure could increase the pressure on Trump and his aides to provide the FBI and Congress with a full account of interactions with Russian officials and others with links to the Kremlin during and immediately after the 2016 election.

¡Qué vergüenza!

tek

Post #140 by tek » Thu May 18, 2017 6:57 am

Conversations between Flynn and Kislyak accelerated after the Nov. 8 vote as the two discussed establishing a back channel for communication between Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin that could bypass the U.S. national security bureaucracy, which both sides considered hostile to improved relations, four current U.S. officials said. ...

Call me a dreamer, but I'm betting this was done with the full knowledge and approval of Trump.

Addie

Post #141 by Addie » Thu May 18, 2017 7:02 am

Axios

How a special counsel differs from an independent prosecutor ...

Special Counsel — Current Law

Current law on Special Counsel (SC) is governed by the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Chapter 6, which has been the way to appoint a special counsel ever since 1999. The law gives the AG much more authority over the whether to appoint an SC, and over the investigation.

When to appoint an SC: If pursuing a matter would be a conflict of interest for the DOJ or if public interest would be served by removing responsibility from the DOJ.

Congress can request an SC be appointed.

The law puts the SC on par with any U.S. Attorney. The SC could get his or her jurisdiction expanded if necessary.

The SC can prosecute federal crimes committed, as well as interference into the investigation, such as perjury, obstruction of justice, destruction of evidence, and intimidation of witnesses.

Although the SC is not subject to day-to-day supervision in the DOJ, but may have to provide explanation of investigative steps if the head of the DOJ requests it.

The SC can be removed by the AG for "misconduct, dereliction of duty, incapacity, conflict of interest, or for other good cause, including violation of Departmental policies."

Adding:

Associated Press: Q&A: The mechanics of the Trump Russia special counsel

¡Qué vergüenza!

ZekeB

Post #142 by ZekeB » Thu May 18, 2017 7:41 am

tek wrote:Call me a dreamer, but I'm betting this was done with the full knowledge and approval of Trump.

If they found a smoking gun on this Trump would go down in history.

Addie

Post #143 by Addie » Thu May 18, 2017 8:34 am

Business Insider

Trump rails against special counsel appointment in morning tweetstorm

President Donald Trump hit back against the Justice Department's appointment of a special counsel in a series of tweets Thursday morning.

"With all of the illegal acts that took place in the Clinton campaign & Obama Administration, there was never a special councel appointed!," Trump tweeted.

"This is the single greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history!," Trump followed-up.

The Justice Department on Wednesday appointed former FBI Director Robert Mueller to oversee investigations into potential ties between Trump associates and Russian operatives.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Gregg

Post #144 by Gregg » Thu May 18, 2017 8:44 am

For what, 36 hours, they managed to pry his tiny fingers away from his twitter account. I'm sure a small army of handlers and attorneys told him to not start commenting, shut the hell up and make sure that any statement made was prepared by his staff, vetted by the lawyers and crafted to be as non-committal as possible.

But he just couldn't do it. He's like a junky going through withdrawal with a kilo of heroin sitting in his lap, he just cannot be trusted. No one understands, no one but he can present his side of the story and he can do it in 140 characters or less.

He sends his minions out to to tell "the story" as laughable as it is and even he can see that the spin is just not close to believable, and since whatever he does is to him the right thing to have done, no matter that its at least terrible and at worst criminal, he has to not just explain it, he brags about it. Its like he's saying "Hell yes I did it! And then I drank the bong water dammit! You can't handle the truth because its too bigly yuge for you to understand!"

I am fully convinced that not only will he eventually get caught in something that is finally inexcusable, but that it will be something that could not easily have been proved to the satisfaction of his fans except he sent out a tweet admitting it, and bragging that he did better than anyone else could have.

Mikedunford

Post #145 by Mikedunford » Thu May 18, 2017 9:17 am

The Tweet's been up for an hour and nobody has fixed the spelling yet.

1 Cranch 137, 177

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #146 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 18, 2017 9:24 am

tek wrote:

Call me a dreamer, but I'm betting this was done with the full knowledge and approval of Trump.

:thumbs:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

noblepa

Post #147 by noblepa » Thu May 18, 2017 9:35 am

Kendra wrote:I don't see any exclamation! points!, but then again it's been a long day with little sleep.

Or quotation marks.

Foggy

Post #148 by Foggy » Thu May 18, 2017 9:39 am

I remember the same level of outrage against Obama when he committed all those crimes, even if there wasn't a special counsel.

Like the time he wore a tan suit. :eek2:

And that time he took a selfie at Mandela's funeral. :yikes:

How come he didn't get a special counsel for those, huh?? :confused:

Guards! :brownnoser: The brown-nosers have taken the West Wing!

RoadScholar

Post #149 by RoadScholar » Thu May 18, 2017 9:40 am

Or when he put his feet up on the Oval Office desk. The horror! The horror!

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

noblepa

Post #150 by noblepa » Thu May 18, 2017 9:41 am

SLQ wrote:Regarding Rosenstein's announcement, here's what he said:

:snippity:

So I conclude that he must have determined that a criminal investigation is warranted. Why the wordsmithing?

I don't see that as wordsmithing, at least not in the negative sense. To me, a criminal investigation need not presuppose that a crime has been committed. One of the purposes of such an investigation is to make that determination. To be intellectually honest, the investigator can't go into it assuming that he/she will find a crime.

Now, if Rosenstein had convened a Federal Grand Jury, that would be different. In that case, one could assume that the investigation had produced enough evidence that the FBI really did believe that a crime had been committed and that they knew who had done so. But, he didn't... yet.

Return to “Trump Administration”