Mueller's investigation

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: Mueller's investigation

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I 💘 Evan Hurst!

https://www.wonkette.com/michael-cohen- ... 4.amp.html
Michael Cohen Pleads 'Guilty As F*ck' Again, But This Time It's For MUELLER STUFF!

HERE ARE THE TRUTHS!
Discussions about the Moscow Project (whatever it truly was) did not end in January 2016. In June 2016, Cohen and Sater were still blabbering about it. Cohen also talked to Trump and Trump's family about it way bunches more than he said he did.

Cohen totally agreed to go to Russia, and he definitely took steps to make a Trump trip to Russia happen. Indeed, Cohen said to Sater in May of 2016 that he wanted to take his trip before the Republican Convention in Cleveland, and that Trump should go after the convention, once Trump was officially the nominee.

Russia, through Sater, invited Trump to the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum in June of 2016. Peskov wanted to meet with Cohen there, and maybe even introduce him to Putin, SQUEEEEEEEE! Cohen replied that sure, those dates would be cool with him. Cohen was set to head to St. Petersburg for the conference, which started on June 16, but on June 14, he backed out for some reason. Regardless, sounds like Cohen heard back from Peskov!

You see, Robert Mueller is leaving us breadcrumbs here. We recently talked about how Michael Cohen did mysteriously fly to Italy in July, just before the Republican convention. We've also talked about how, according to the Steele Dossier, Cohen was sent in as the fixer thug after Paul Manafort's Russian connections started coming out in the press. It's also possible that Cohen was spirited off to Prague, Budapest, or some other Eastern European city around that time or a little later. (McClatchy is still the only news organ reporting it, but they do say Mueller has evidence Cohen went to Prague, just like the dossier says.)
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Addie wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:22 pm I don't know if this means anything or nothing, but Trump's company's (Dem) tax attorney for 12 years.

Chicago Sun-Times
Federal agents show up at Ald. Ed Burke’s City Hall office, paper over windows

Federal agents showed up unannounced at the City Hall office of Finance Committee Chairman Ed Burke, kicked everyone out and papered over the windows Thursday morning.

T
Note: Not the office of his law firm. Corruption charges perhaps?
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:30 pm
Addie wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:22 pm I don't know if this means anything or nothing, but Trump's company's (Dem) tax attorney for 12 years.

Chicago Sun-Times

Federal agents showed up unannounced at the City Hall office of Finance Committee Chairman Ed Burke, kicked everyone out and papered over the windows Thursday morning.

T
Could be.

Hes not exactly an eagle scout.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:30 pm

Chicago Sun-Times

T
I read somewhere two of his offices were raided this morning, but city offices.
Whip

Post by Whip »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:59 pm
Suranis wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:20 pm Image
Sure it's not a Muslim hijab :?: A terrorist cat :?.

;)
that's Sister Mary Cat-herine.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Bloomberg: What Cohen’s Plea Deal Means for Trump, His Business and Mueller
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Investigators have emails from late 2015 and early January 2016 in which Cohen communicated with or copied Don Jr. and Ivanka and discussed the Trump Tower Moscow project. Ivanka at one point recommended an architect.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

I had an optimistic thought strike me today. I don't have those very often, and I don't think it's at all likely, but hear me out:

Suppose Whitaker really did come in as Trump's guy in the DOJ, ready to defend his boss to the hilt. He's still a lawyer who has been a prosecutor before - albeit a shitty one, in my opinion. Suppose early on Rosenstein and Mueller come into his office and lay it all on his desk, because he's going to get to see everything anyway. Suppose Whitaker is convinced by it, and tells them to keep going. But Trump still thinks he's got an inside man.

Again, not something I think is likely, but it's definitely a possibility.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

fierceredpanda wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:25 pm I had an optimistic thought strike me today. I don't have those very often, and I don't think it's at all likely, but hear me out:

Suppose Whitaker really did come in as Trump's guy in the DOJ, ready to defend his boss to the hilt. He's still a lawyer who has been a prosecutor before - albeit a shitty one, in my opinion. Suppose early on Rosenstein and Mueller come into his office and lay it all on his desk, because he's going to get to see everything anyway. Suppose Whitaker is convinced by it, and tells them to keep going. But Trump still thinks he's got an inside man.

Interesting.

I had an optimistic thunk too, also. HEY! No throwing vegetables! Cohen had an epiphany when his Dad confronted him about Trump AND he had LOTS of audio which Mueller acquired. He is truly a cooperating witness.
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
BrianH

Post by BrianH »

fierceredpanda wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:25 pm I had an optimistic thought strike me today. I don't have those very often, and I don't think it's at all likely, but hear me out:

A slight modification on that could be that Rosenstein and Mueller laid out enough that Whittaker, knowing that the Dems will soon control the House machinery, figures that it is eventually going to come out one way or the other, and him being the main person trying to obstruct by burying it is not good for his long-term legal or career health.
Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

Giving a little less credit to Whitaker, maybe about 5 minutes into the presentation he decided he didn't want to become the next John Mitchell, and so he told Rosenstein and Mueller to do whatever they want just don't get any of it on him.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Vanity Fair - Gabe Sherman: “Trump Was Totally Caught Off Guard by the Cohen Plea”: Inside Trumpworld, Some Fear Mueller Has Laid a Perjury Trap

Rudy Giuliani is frustrated at Mueller’s tactics. The White House is in a defensive crouch. “It’s an untethered situation,” a person close to the president said.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Addie wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:47 pm
Vanity Fair - Gabe Sherman: “Trump Was Totally Caught Off Guard by the Cohen Plea”: Inside Trumpworld, Some Fear Mueller Has Laid a Perjury Trap

Rudy Giuliani is frustrated at Mueller’s tactics. The White House is in a defensive crouch. “It’s an untethered situation,” a person close to the president said.
From Vanity Fair article:
After the judge adjourned the hearing on Thursday, Cohen’s attorneys shook hands with the prosecutors and then took the elevator down with their client to the lobby, where I asked Cohen how he was doing. “Good,” he responded, his face softening. He didn’t answer reporters’ questions, though it appeared as if he felt unburdened. I later asked someone familiar with his thinking why he did what he did on Thursday, and why he seemed lighter in court than he did in August, when the emotion of pleading guilty seemed more overwhelming. The person answered that since he started cooperating with investigators, Cohen had said that he was committed to telling the truth. Thursday was the manifestation of that. Prosecutors said on Thursday that they will inform the sentencing judge that Cohen’s cooperation made a difference, too.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

You know, I had this exact same thought about Sessions. I was hopeful that he would remember that he’s an attorney, and subject to all the ethical rules that being an attorney involves. I was a little surprised that he recused himself, but I was very glad that he did because it made me think that maybe he hadn’t completely lost his mind, or lost his legal ethics compass. So, it could happen.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson
NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson »

Dan1100 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:42 pm

Giving a little less credit to Whitaker, maybe about 5 minutes into the presentation he decided he didn't want to become the next John Mitchell, and so he told Rosenstein and Mueller to do whatever they want just don't get any of it on him.
I've been thinking Whitaker might turn out not to be a problem as well. He doesn't seem to doing or even saying a hell of a lot about this investigation. Makes you wonder when Trump will turn on him.
Am I being detained?
much ado

Post by much ado »

NotaPerson wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:10 pm :snippity:

I've been thinking Whitaker might turn out not to be a problem as well. He doesn't seem to doing or even saying a hell of a lot about this investigation. Makes you wonder when Trump will turn on him.
It could be real soon now. Things seem to be picking up speed.

Trump demands loyalty. But what does loyalty to Trump ultimately get you?

It looks like it gets you 5 to 10.
Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

I wonder if LaRump's lawyers are smart enough to have a smidge of an idea of just how much trouble they could possibly be in, above and beyond the hole their client has dug for himself.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

Notorial Dissent wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:25 am I wonder if LaRump's lawyers are smart enough to have a smidge of an idea of just how much trouble they could possibly be in, above and beyond the hole their client has dug for himself.
It's a stellar year for lawyers in D.C.

trump's lawyers

trump's lawyers' lawyers

Possibly unto the third tier:

trump's lawyers' lawyers' lawyers.

See, ya'll been doubtin' that trump creates jobs, but look at the zero unemployment rate of lawyers in D.C. :shootin:
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

NotaPerson wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:10 pm I've been thinking Whitaker might turn out not to be a problem as well. He doesn't seem to doing or even saying a hell of a lot about this investigation. Makes you wonder when Trump will turn on him.
I would not be surprised if Whitaker is thinking ahead and realizing Trump probably is not going to be a very useful ally past 2020 and thus now that he got, if not the upgrade he wanted (since he wanted a federal judgeship), at least a reward, might not be as loyal now.
fierceredpanda
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

NMgirl wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:40 am :snippity:

See, ya'll been doubtin' that trump creates jobs, but look at the zero unemployment rate of lawyers in D.C. :shootin:
I have an uncle who is fairly well-off, and one of the most intelligent people I know (he has an M.D. and a Ph.D.). But he's had a couple brutal divorces and a whole bunch of other legal problems over the years. I joked with him some time ago that I appreciate his lifelong devotion to ensuring the full employment of lawyers.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Fox and Friends is working OT to spin the Cohen news. Worth a listen. :roll:
fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

I didn't know until this morning that the DC grand jury is in session on Fridays. (The federal grand jury nearest me usually sits on Wednesdays.)

Some more news would be nice. :daydream:

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://twitter.com/ActMeasuresDoc/stat ... 5743449088
Active Measures
‏ @ActMeasuresDoc

In case you were wondering what Fox News is covering tonight.
5:58 PM - 29 Nov 2018 from Brooklyn, NY
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

What did she just say?

Statement from Sarah Sanders combines “witch hunt” and “hoax” but also says the Mueller investigation “is doing very well.” What?
NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

Marcy does some interesting speculating this morning:
JULY 22, 2016: THE SATER AND COHEN DEAL GETS HANDED OFF TO MILLIAN AND PAPADOPOULOS?
https://www.emptywheel.net/2018/11/30/j ... adopoulos/

Return to “Trump Administration”