The Fractally Clueless White House

noblepa

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

Post by noblepa » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:51 pm

Kendra wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:14 am
In the past 24 hours Trump cancelled a trip to Denmark because it wouldn’t sell him Greenland, referred to American Jews who vote Democratic as disloyal, and tweeted Israeli Jews view him as the “second coming of God” and the “King of Israel.”
Uh, I'm no theologian, but I don't think that Jews have even acknowledged the "first coming of God". And the phrase the "second coming" is just about universally thought of as a purely Christian thing.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:38 pm

noblepa wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:51 pm
Kendra wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:14 am
In the past 24 hours Trump cancelled a trip to Denmark because it wouldn’t sell him Greenland, referred to American Jews who vote Democratic as disloyal, and tweeted Israeli Jews view him as the “second coming of God” and the “King of Israel.”
Uh, I'm no theologian, but I don't think that Jews have even acknowledged the "first coming of God". And the phrase the "second coming" is just about universally thought of as a purely Christian thing.
Neither are 99% of evangelicals, so they won't care.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:35 pm

Don't forget, Trump does the Old and New Testaments the way he does everything else: "Two Corinthians."

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:58 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:42 pm
I beg to differ. His accomplishing the presidency is a success in the same way a rapist is successful at mating.

Both got what they wanted by cheating, lying, damaging... being willing to disregard the well-being of anybody but himself.

That's not success to me. That's effectiveness.

I consider both to be failures, as men and as human beings.
That seems to me to be the phenomenon that I described: it pains you as a decent person to use a positive term such as "success" in connection with an appalling shitbag like Trump, so you look for an alternative that doesn't cause that pain, resulting in that hair-splitting. Similarly it feels good to describe him as a "failure" and you torture an emotive analogy to justify that.

BTW I don't think I wrote that I consider Trump a "success" (I don't), I simply opined that applying the unqualified term "failure" to a person who won the presidency is irrational.

But nobody says we must be rational! And we're not. Our decisions—major and minor, critical and banal—are made by the emotional centers of our brains which is probably the underlying source of the powerful urge to apply negative labels to Trump and of the deep resistance to seeing emotionally positive descriptors used.

What bothers me about it is a sense that it has a trace of the RWNJs' name-calling of Obama, Clinton, etc. Of course, nobody doing it will agree!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:55 pm

Trump probably "won" the Presidency thanks to Vladimir Putin. So we can comfortably use the word "failure" when referring to the orange menace.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:15 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:55 pm
Trump probably "won" the Presidency thanks to Vladimir Putin.
... and James Comey, and the 10 to 12% of Bernie supporters who voted for him, and the African Americans who stayed home, and ... if I'm being honest, Hillary didn't run her best campaign (and fairly or unfairly (unfairly) carried all that baggage from the past).

Whatever. :-
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:29 am

Foggy wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:15 am
... and James Comey, and the 10 to 12% of Bernie supporters who voted for him, and the African Americans who stayed home, and ... if I'm being honest, Hillary didn't run her best campaign (and fairly or unfairly (unfairly) carried all that baggage from the past).

Whatever. :-
Other than Hillary's campaign, all the others listed here have only themselves to blame. Cut off your nose to spite your face? Many Bernie supporters did just that. They got what they deserved; someone as opposite to Bernie as could have ever been elected. Trump has turned out to be everything the indications shown during his campaign have shown that he would be. How many will do it again when their favorite pet candidate isn't nominated in 2020?
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:47 am

ZekeB wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:29 am
How many will do it again when their favorite pet candidate isn't nominated in 2020?
I shudder to think. :blackeye:
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:28 am

Aaaand we're off.

The President of the EU trolls trump's suggestion that Russia be re-invited.

ImageImageImage x4

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:55 pm

US to open Greenland consulate amid increased interest
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration is planning to open a U.S. consulate in Greenland for the first time in decades amid increased strategic and economic interest in the Danish territory.

The State Department says in a letter to Congress that re-establishing a consulate in Nuuk is part of a broader plan to increase the U.S. presence in the arctic.

A copy of the letter was obtained Friday by The Associated Press.

The U.S. has a “strategic interest in enhancing political, economic, and commercial relationships across the Arctic region,” said the letter to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

President Donald Trump sparked a diplomatic dispute with U.S.-ally Denmark this week after he proposed that the U.S. buy Greenland and the Danish government rejected the idea. :snippity:
Bonus:

https:// twitter.com/SybilClarke18/status/1165149142273970177
JA Princess @SybilClarke18
Copenhagen Denmark. Trump is losing #bigly in this #poll 🤦🏽‍♀️
jrh41.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:33 pm

neonzx wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:55 pm
US to open Greenland consulate amid increased interest
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration is planning to open a U.S. consulate in Greenland for the first time in decades amid increased strategic and economic interest in the Danish territory.

The State Department says in a letter to Congress that re-establishing a consulate in Nuuk is part of a broader plan to increase the U.S. presence in the arctic.

:snippity:
:snippity:
I suggest to nominate Kelly Craft as ambassador. As Greenland is not very inviting for many months of the year, shee will have ample opportunity to skip the winter months for her business at home.
Kelly Craft absent from post for over 300 days, records show
The U.N. ambassador nominee committed to Sen. Menendez that she'd provide complete records of all the times she left her post as U.S. ambassador to Canada.

By LAUREN GARDNER 06/19/2019 11:14 AM EDT Updated 06/19/2019 04:23 PM EDT

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/ ... ez-1370346

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:36 pm

Chilly (diplomatic) atmosphere guaranteed. :blackeye:

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:16 pm

Has anyone asked Greenland if they are even remotely interested? Might be the polite and politic thing to do, so of course this maladministration wouldn't/won't.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:32 pm

So there is going to be a 90-story gold skyscraper in Greenland, housing the consulate? (Paid for by the US, managed by Trump Enterprises at 200mil or so, natch).

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:45 pm

Foggy wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:47 am
ZekeB wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:29 am
How many will do it again when their favorite pet candidate isn't nominated in 2020?
I shudder to think. :blackeye:
That reminded me of this article:

The Empty Relevance Of Never Trump
By David Marcus
AUGUST 23, 2019

The prominence of Never Trump pundits in liberal outlets is mostly fueled by a wistful longing for the days of the principled conservative who always lost.

There is a little dance that goes on nearly every day on Twitter. It usually starts with a pro-Trump conservative attacking a Never Trump conservative by suggesting their anti-Trump program is pointless and can only serve to help a Democratic Party lurching to the left. Next, the Never Trumper typically responds that if they are so irrelevant, why are pro-Trump conservatives so obsessed with them?

A fundamental misunderstanding is at work here. Nobody really thinks Never Trumpers are irrelevant. In fact, they and their views are all over the place. The Washington Post, New York Times, USA Today, CNN, MSNBC, NPR, and many other prominent left-leaning media outlets ensure that Never Trump pundits maintain relevance by plastering them all over our nation’s news commentary.

So, yes, Never Trumpers certainly have relevance, but there is something arguably much more important that they do not have: a constituency. The vast majority of conservatives and Republicans outside of the media and the Beltway approve of the job President Trump is doing. This is why, ultimately, ideas like running Joe Walsh against Trump are so silly and derided.

Conservatives Are Reasonably Preferring Trump
This doesn’t mean that all of these conservatives supporting Trump think he is the greatest president of all time, the only one who can save us, or some great moral leader. Some of Trump’s core supporters feel that way, but most don’t. Most see politics as transactional, and given the choice between Trump’s eccentricities and the Democrats’ extreme and radical policy positions, they quite reasonably prefer the former. <snip>
https://thefederalist.com/2019/08/23/th ... ver-trump/
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:29 pm

Trump floated nuking hurricanes to stop them from hitting US: report

President Trump has floated dropping nuclear bombs into hurricanes to stop them from hitting the United States in meetings with Homeland Security and national security officials, Axios reported Sunday.

According to sources who have heard the president's private remarks and been briefed on a National Security Council memorandum, the suggestions were made during briefings on hurricanes.

"I got it. I got it. Why don't we nuke them?" Trump said at one such White House briefing, a source who was there told Axios.

<SNIPPPPPPPP >

A National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration fact sheet about tropic cyclones address the concept and points out that it would be unlikely to work and most likely cause more harm than good.

"Apart from the fact that this might not even alter the storm, this approach neglects the problem that the released radioactive fallout would fairly quickly move with the tradewinds to affect land areas and cause devastating environmental problems," the sheet reads.

"Needless to say, this is not a good idea."
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... -us-report
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:18 pm

Not to worry. Trump will just demand that nuclear bombs not be radioactive. Then his plan will work.

Remember, he's a stable genius, just one step ahead of the rest of us.

much ado

Post by much ado » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:31 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:18 pm
Not to worry. Trump will just demand that nuclear bombs not be radioactive. Then his plan will work.

:crying: :crying: :crying:

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:41 pm

Trump needs to straw boss that operation. He'll be comfortable in the eye of the storm as he directs to bomber for a direct hit.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:42 pm

Set up a betting pool.

Will he:
Play it off as a joke?
Deny it?
Double down and claim it’s a good idea.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:21 pm

Blame it on HAARP.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:34 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:

Clean Nukes, made with Clean Coal
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:33 am

Gregg wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:34 am
Sterngard Friegen wrote:

:thumbs: Now that'z brainz!!
:rotflmao:

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:46 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:33 am
Gregg wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:34 am
Sterngard Friegen wrote:

:thumbs: Now that'z brainz!!
:rotflmao:
Another development of Brute Force Cybernetics!
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:05 am

Jeffrey wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:42 pm
Set up a betting pool.

Will he:
Play it off as a joke?
Deny it?
Double down and claim it’s a good idea.