Trump's Trade Follicy

Chilidog

Trump's Trade Follicy

Post by Chilidog » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:18 pm

The Hill
The Trump administration is considering changing how U.S. trade deficits are calculated, a move that would make the deficit look larger on paper, the Wall Street Journal reported. People involved in the discussions told the Journal that the leading idea is to count “re-exports” — goods that are imported to the U.S., and then exported to a third country unchanged — as imports, but not exports. The change would inflate the trade deficit number, an important figure in trade negotiations and policy. For example, under new calculations, the $63.1 billion trade deficit with Mexico last year would become a $115.4 billion deficit. One person familiar with the discussions told the WSJ that the new methodology could even convert a trade surplus into a deficit.
Fake Numbers

SueDB

Re: Trump's Trade Follicy

Post by SueDB » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Chilidog wrote:The Hill
The Trump administration is considering changing how U.S. trade deficits are calculated, a move that would make the deficit look larger on paper, the Wall Street Journal reported. People involved in the discussions told the Journal that the leading idea is to count “re-exports” — goods that are imported to the U.S., and then exported to a third country unchanged — as imports, but not exports. The change would inflate the trade deficit number, an important figure in trade negotiations and policy. For example, under new calculations, the $63.1 billion trade deficit with Mexico last year would become a $115.4 billion deficit. One person familiar with the discussions told the WSJ that the new methodology could even convert a trade surplus into a deficit.
Fake Numbers
Fake Numbers for a Fake Presidency.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:45 pm

I can't wait till he actually tries to use those numbers in a trade negotiation.

They'll laugh in his face.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Chilidog wrote:I can't wait till he actually tries to use those numbers in a trade negotiation.

They'll laugh in his face.
They're already laughing at him after the Sweden lie, and well cringing for fear of what stupid thing he'll do next.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:07 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... 017/02/21/
Informative quite lengthy article.
EL PASO — If you sleep on a memory foam mattress, chances are good that its fabric cover was made here in a small factory in this desert border town on the westernmost edge of Texas.

Well, here and over there, across the Rio Grande in Ciudad Juarez, a Mexican city where pieces of fabric cut in El Paso are stitched together and shipped back across the border. The supply of cheap labor in Mexico has fueled the rise of manufacturing plants dotting the border known as maquiladoras.

The journey of this mattress cover, from El Paso to Ciudad Juarez and back, illustrates the far-reaching tentacles of free trade and its impact on the border economy and across the United States. It’s a journey now fraught with tension as President Trump moves to renegotiate — or even unilaterally withdraw the country from — the 23-year-old North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which has allowed maquiladoras to flourish but which Trump and some Rust Belt communities blame for the loss of U.S. manufacturing jobs.
:snippity:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:04 am

How San Diego Built a Bridge Over the Wall
A simple pedestrian crossing created the world’s first true binational airport, and boosted the economies on both sides of the border.

By ETHAN EPSTEIN February 16, 2017

SAN DIEGO—Around lunchtime two days before Donald Trump’s presidential inauguration last month, some 200 business and civic leaders from San Diego and Tijuana, Mexico, gathered here in a hotel ballroom downtown for an event hosted by the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce. As the assembled professionals, decked out in business-casual attire and speaking a smattering of Spanish and English, munched on cold—not to say rubbery—chicken and green salad and sipped iced tea, the event’s keynote speaker, a UCLA economist named Lee Ohanian, delivered a pessimistic message about the man who was on everybody’s mind.

Trump’s plan to tax imports from Mexico would amount to “shooting [us] in the foot,” Ohanian declared, “with many, many unintended consequences.” Given the aging of the baby boomers and declining U.S. birth rates, Trump’s possible plan to reduce immigration levels would make it “extremely difficult” to achieve increased productivity or GDP growth, he warned. But Ohanian wound up his speech on a positive note: Trump seems like a “person who tends to change his mind,” he said. The crowd laughed nervously.

For the people who do business in Tijuana and San Diego, talk of barriers—whether it’s tariffs or even “big beautiful walls”— is anathema. They know that the health of their “mega region,” as San Diego’s Republican Mayor Kevin Faulconer calls it, depends on enhancing the economic integration of the two cities that collectively boast a population of 5 million. (Roughly half live on each side.) One of the most dramatic examples of their commitment to that entwined economy is a bridge that literally crosses above the border fence. In late 2015, a terminal connecting San Diego to the Tijuana airport opened. Funded privately by American and Mexican investors, the Cross Border Xpress has created the world’s first truly binational airport. Each day, thousands of passengers from San Diego now walk easily across the border directly into the Tijuana airport. Conversely, people landing in Tijuana now walk into San Diego after their flights. The project is a striking physical manifestation of the increasing interconnectedness of the two cities.
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... ana-214788

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:06 pm

Great news for the whole world. :thumbs: We must hope that Trump doesn't mess this up.

WTO's new global trade deal comes into force

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39049074
The Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA) involves streamlining customs procedures.

Mr Azevedo said it would have a bigger impact than eliminating all existing taxes on imports, known as tariffs.

It involves countries signing up to a long list of reforms, including easier access for businesses to information, reduced fees and simpler and faster procedures.

WTO economists estimated it would cut the cost of trading by 14.3%, and that developing nations would gain the most.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:09 pm

Trump already having an effect on the economy. :(

Anxiety over Trump stems flood of Mexican shoppers to El Paso

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... c3065bb546
The effect is already being felt at Casa Mundial, a lingerie store along this downtown strip of shops. All of its wares, like most of the merchandise sold on this street, come from China.

“99.9 percent of my customers are from Mexico,” said Kun Lee, the shop owner, an American of Korean descent who grew up in Paraguay. He said the store lost money for the first time during the month of January.   

There also have been media reports in recent weeks that some Mexican residents are boycotting U.S. products or deliberately not crossing the border to spend their money to protest the Trump administration.  

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:27 pm

Volkonski wrote:Trump already having an effect on the economy. :(

Anxiety over Trump stems flood of Mexican shoppers to El Paso

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... c3065bb546
The effect is already being felt at Casa Mundial, a lingerie store along this downtown strip of shops. All of its wares, like most of the merchandise sold on this street, come from China.

“99.9 percent of my customers are from Mexico,” said Kun Lee, the shop owner, an American of Korean descent who grew up in Paraguay. He said the store lost money for the first time during the month of January.   

There also have been media reports in recent weeks that some Mexican residents are boycotting U.S. products or deliberately not crossing the border to spend their money to protest the Trump administration.  
Someone should notify the Texas governor. :rotflmao:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:01 pm

I can't be the only one who sees that "follicy" is not a real word, so how come I'm the only one to mention it? Is it supposed to be fallacy or policy?

Kindly recall that I'm a 44th degree Jedi Master.

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:07 pm

Foggy wrote:I can't be the only one who sees that "follicy" is not a real word, so how come I'm the only one to mention it? Is it supposed to be fallacy or policy?
Yes.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:08 pm

I read "folly" and "policy." "Fallacy" is a bonus layer!

John Lennon would be smiling.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:10 pm

qbawl wrote:
Foggy wrote:I can't be the only one who sees that "follicy" is not a real word, so how come I'm the only one to mention it? Is it supposed to be fallacy or policy?
Yes.
:like:

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:12 pm

Chilidog wrote:
qbawl wrote:
Yes.
:like:
With the overlayer of "follic" as in hair follicle.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:16 pm

Actually, I was shooting for "folly."

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:16 pm

Well I'm glad we had this little talk. :lol:

Kindly recall that I'm a 44th degree Jedi Master.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:17 pm

I assumed that the triple word score (fallacy, folly and policy) was another contribution from Fogbow's Scrabble fetishists enthusiasts, cruciverbalists or other prestidigitators of lexicography.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:42 pm

A happy little accident of a portmanteau.

Image Image Image Image Image

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:49 pm

Estiveo wrote:A happy little accident of a portmanteau.

leave my hat out of this.

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:53 pm

Chilidog wrote:

leave my hat out of this.
And your luggage too, also.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:45 pm

:confused: What happened to Natalie Portman's toe? Is that why she is not attending the Oscars this year? Why are you pleased about it? Why do you hate Natalie?

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:11 pm

Sam the Centipede wrote:
:confused: What happened to Natalie Portman's toe? Is that why she is not attending the Oscars this year? Why are you pleased about it? Why do you hate Natalie?
Because she has man toes!

Image Image Image Image Image

GlimDropper

Post by GlimDropper » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:46 pm

The National Retail Federation crafted a commercial parody over Trump's border tax proposal. I chuckled.

https://youtu.be/23SXAYWZHc8

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:28 pm

Ryan's proposed border-adjustable tax is a lunatic idea that should be opposed.

But, regressive tax or not, it's way past time for the US to start seriously looking at a VAT system. At this point, we're one of the last countries in the world to not have one. VATs are border adjustable. They can also, if used to fund healthcare and pensions, remove expenses that major American companies face that their competitors elsewhere in the world do not.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Associated Press
Dairy farmers worry about trade to Mexico

ST. ALBANS — U.S dairy farmers already struggling with low milk prices worry President Donald Trump's talk of renegotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement could harm trade to Mexico, its biggest export market.

About 15 percent of dairy production in the United States is exported with one-third valued at $1.2 billion going to Mexico in the form of milk powder, cheese and whey protein, according to the National Milk Producers Federation, which says trade with Mexico is its top priority. That's nearly double the value exported to Canada, the country's second biggest export market, according to the United States Department of Agriculture.

"The income of dairy farmers, whether they're in Vermont or California, depends heavily on our export to Mexico," said Jaime Castaneda, senior vice president responsible for domestic and international policy for the federation.

If just 1, 2 or 3 percent of the exports were to come back to the United States, "we would see a significant drop on overall prices," he said. ...

"Mexico is our biggest destination for dairy and it's not only dairy," said Fairfield farmer Harold Howrigan Jr., of the U.S. trade partnership with Mexico. "It's corn and soy also that go down there so our huge trading partner and we need that market."

¡Qué vergüenza!

Return to “Trump Administration”