Trump's Trade Follicy

Volkonski

Re: Trump's Trade Follicy

Post by Volkonski »

EU will respond in kind to new U.S. tariffs: German ambassador to U.S.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... ce=twitter
In Davos, Switzerland, U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday renewed his threat to impose tariffs of up to 25% on imports of cars from the EU if the bloc does not agree to a trade deal.

Haber told an event hosted by the Center for Strategic and International Studies the EU would respond “in the same dimension and the same vein.”

:snippity:

Separately, Washington has already imposed a 25% tariff on a raft of European wines and other goods, and a 10% tariff on aircraft, in a long-running pair of cases before the World Trade Organization over aircraft subsidies. It warned in December that it would raise those tariffs and expand the list of affected products.

The EU is poised to respond with its own tariffs on the aircraft subsidy issue this spring, following an expected WTO decision. EU officials have pushed Washington to resolve the dispute, but those discussions have not seen much movement.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

So if you put a tax on airplanes, why can't Delta et al open new subsidiaries in Ireland to buy the planes, and then lease them from the European company that doesn't pay US taxes?

Asking for a friend....
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Given that Boeing seems bent on driving itself into bankruptcy, I suspect US airlines are going to be buying planes from Airbus no matter what happens as far as tariffs are concerned. But I'm sure they'll put an army of lobbyists on the matter.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Trump hasn't yet worked out why his threat isn't scaring the EU: "I don't like how your bloc exports its products to the US so I plan to tax the population of the US really hard, and that will teach you! And if you don't cooperate after that, why, I'll tax my voters even harder!"

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

U.S. pushing India to buy $5-6 billion more farm goods to seal trade deal - sources

Ahead of a Trump visit to New Delhi to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi next month, negotiators on both sides are hammering out terms for a trade deal that would include New Delhi rolling back higher tariffs on some farm goods such as almonds, walnuts and apples, one of the sources said.

Both governments had hoped to work out a limited trade deal last year, but struggled to reach an agreement.

While India has offered partial relief on medical device price caps that have hurt American pharma giants and a roll-back in tariffs on some U.S. goods, Trump’s team wants a sweetener of $5-6 billion in additional trade for U.S. goods to restore GSP privileges, three of the sources said.

As part of the negotiation, the U.S. wants India to increase imports of frozen poultry products, the first source said. The U.S. has already been pushing India to cut the high import taxes on poultry products.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Volkonski wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:02 pm
U.S. pushing India to buy $5-6 billion more farm goods to seal trade deal - sources

Ahead of a Trump visit to New Delhi to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi next month, negotiators on both sides are hammering out terms for a trade deal that would include New Delhi rolling back higher tariffs on some farm goods such as almonds, walnuts and apples, one of the sources said.

Both governments had hoped to work out a limited trade deal last year, but struggled to reach an agreement.

While India has offered partial relief on medical device price caps that have hurt American pharma giants and a roll-back in tariffs on some U.S. goods, Trump’s team wants a sweetener of $5-6 billion in additional trade for U.S. goods to restore GSP privileges, three of the sources said.

As part of the negotiation, the U.S. wants India to increase imports of frozen poultry products, the first source said. The U.S. has already been pushing India to cut the high import taxes on poultry products.
You just know Trump had to be told why he couldn't hold out until they announce they're going to buy X more tons of Beef and Pork.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Will some Indian representative announce on impotus' arrival that there will be another Trump named property deal signed any day now :?:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Trump Expands Steel Tariffs, Saying They Are Short of Aim
The president plans tariffs on metal items like nails and cables after his earlier move raised the cost of making those products in the United States.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/27/busi ... riffs.html
President Trump has announced plans to broaden his tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum, saying the existing tariffs had not proved as effective as he had hoped in reviving American production.

In a proclamation on Friday night, the president accused foreign companies of trying to “circumvent” the 25 percent tariff he placed on foreign steel and the 10 percent tariff he placed on foreign aluminum in 2018. Imports of steel and aluminum into the United States have declined since the tariffs went into place, he said, but imports of products made with those metals had “significantly increased.”

The net effect “has been to erode the customer base for U.S. producers of aluminum and steel and undermine” the effect of original tariffs, Mr. Trump said.

As a result, he said, the United States will expand its tariffs to cover products made of steel and aluminum — like nails, tacks, staples, cables, certain types of wire, and bumpers and other parts for cars and tractors — as of Feb. 8.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

Will someone please order more bricks for me or do I need to dismantle the Chinese Wall :?:

kate520

Post by kate520 »

“If I’m going down, you ungrateful mother***kers are all going down with me.”
djt
Jan 24,2020 and every day thereafter
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

PS. I don't think this will have the desired effect cause companies will now be waiting to see if there is a change in presidency by end of the year before investing in new local production facilities (assuming it's financially feasable).

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:twisted: PPS. Somone needs to whisper into impotus' ears that bauxite contains yuuuge amout of hidden aluminium. Certainly worth some extra tariffs for smuggling the stuff into the country :twisted:

#MAGA :sarcasm:

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a joint project of the U.S. and Canada

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:43 am
Trump Expands Steel Tariffs, Saying They Are Short of Aim
The president plans tariffs on metal items like nails and cables after his earlier move raised the cost of making those products in the United States.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/27/busi ... riffs.html
I used to think there were limits to just how stupid a person could be and have even the appearance of success.

Nope.
Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand... - "Witch Hunt" by Rush

Thor promised to slay the Ice Giants
God promised to quell all evil
I'm not seeing any Ice Giants... :thor:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Coronavirus May Delay Hard-Fought U.S. Trade Wins in China

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/03/busi ... onomy.html
The virus, which has killed more than 360 people and sickened thousands, is taking a heavy toll on China’s economy by halting factory work, grounding flights and disrupting supply chains. It is also likely to slow China’s progress in meeting the commitments it agreed to as part of the initial trade deal that the Trump administration signed with Chinese officials last month.

Under the terms of the agreement, China has pledged to purchase over the next two years an additional $200 billion of American goods, including soybeans, machinery and energy products. In order to reach those lofty sums, Chinese companies would soon need to begin purchasing large amounts of American products.

The Chinese government is also supposed to act quickly to open its markets for American agricultural and financial firms, making major reforms to those sectors within months.

Karthik Natarajan, a supply chain expert at the University of Minnesota, said the closing of cities and factories was severely affecting manufacturing and travel.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

If the poultry and pig virus issues get any further out of control China could be facing extremely serious problems. They currently have the swine virus, what I assume is avian flu, and coronavirus hitting them from all sides. The first tow are deadly in their populations, the last remains to be seen, and the regular flu cycle hasn't started up yet as far as I know.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:16 pm
If the poultry and pig virus issues get any further out of control China could be facing extremely serious problems. They currently have the swine virus, what I assume is avian flu, and coronavirus hitting them from all sides. The first tow are deadly in their populations, the last remains to be seen, and the regular flu cycle hasn't started up yet as far as I know.
Their outdoor wet markets are practically begging to start some kind of outbreak, its hard to keep your lunch down just walking through one.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Gregg wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:19 pm
Their outdoor wet markets are practically begging to start some kind of outbreak, it's hard to keep your lunch down just walking through one.
In Europe, biosecurity of farm livestock is taken very seriously, sometimes it feels excessively. For example, many rural towns and villages used to have annual summer fairs or shows which included competitions for farm animals (beauty competitions, not races!). Many of most have dropped those elements of their event because farmers are reluctant to bring their animals into a public area, partly through caution, partly due to regulation.

So I rather resent China's disgusting standards of animal hygiene. Each year their insanitary mingling of pigs, chickens and humans (plus whatever would animals they haven't yet slaughtered) provides a breeding ground for strains of influenza and other infectious diseases which either need or benefit from transfer between multiple species. And then both China and the rest of the world must suffer the consequences.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

U.S. Charges Huawei With Racketeering, Adding Pressure on China
The indictment is the Trump administration’s latest move in its fight against the Chinese tech giant, which it deems a security threat.

By David McCabe, Nicole Hong and Katie Benner
Feb. 13, 2020

WASHINGTON — The U.S. government has charged Huawei and two of its subsidiaries with federal racketeering and conspiracy to steal trade secrets from American companies, a significant escalation in the Trump administration’s legal fight with the Chinese telecommunications company.

In a federal indictment unsealed on Thursday in the Eastern District of New York, the Department of Justice accused Huawei and its affiliates of a “pattern of racketeering activity” and said the companies had worked to steal trade secrets from six American firms. The stolen information included source code, as well as the manuals for wireless technology.

The indictment did not identify the six companies, but a source familiar with the investigation — as well as court filings made in several civil lawsuits — indicated they were Cisco Systems, Motorola Solutions, Fujitsu, Quintel Technology, T-Mobile and CNEX Labs.

“The new charges in this case relate to the alleged decades-long efforts by Huawei, and several of its subsidiaries, both in the U.S. and in the People’s Republic of China, to misappropriate intellectual property, including from six U.S. technology companies, in an effort to grow and operate Huawei’s business,” the Justice Department said in a news release.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/tech ... fraud.html

tek

Post by tek »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN20M0IB
MARSTON, Missouri (Reuters) - A bankrupt aluminum smelter that re-opened in 2018, after U.S. President Donald Trump imposed tariffs on imported metals, is losing money at such a rapid clip that it could close within 60 days, the top executive at the Missouri plant said on Thursday.
There's no way back
from there to here

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

tek wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:06 am
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN20M0IB
MARSTON, Missouri (Reuters) - A bankrupt aluminum smelter that re-opened in 2018, after U.S. President Donald Trump imposed tariffs on imported metals, is losing money at such a rapid clip that it could close within 60 days, the top executive at the Missouri plant said on Thursday.
That's what they get for using electricity instead of coal.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Reuters
EU, China and 14 others agree stop-gap fix for WTO crisis

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union, China and 14 other World Trade Organization members agreed on Friday on a temporary mechanism to resolve trade disputes after U.S. action rendered the WTO incapable of acting as the arbiter of global trade.

Washington froze the WTO’s Appellate Body, which acts as a supreme court for international trade, by blocking appointments for over two years. Two of the body’s remaining three members came to the end of their terms in December, leaving it unable to issue rulings.

A WTO “panel” of trade experts will still make initial findings. However, it is no longer possible to appeal against a ruling at the Geneva-based body.

Under the temporary fix, a pool of 10 arbitrators will be set up in the next three months. Three of them will hear any given appeal. ...

The EU had previously teamed up with Norway and Canada to form a separate appeals body that could resolve disputes.

The other countries that signed up on Friday are Australia, Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Mexico, New Zealand, Singapore, Switzerland and Uruguay.
Don't do stupid shit. -Barack Obama

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Did the other countries just form their own non-US WTO subsidiary? Or did they tell trump, "Fuck off, wanker. We're doing it live."
Not sharing my Dancing Bears fabric with anyone. Nope, not doing it. Sorry, not sorry.
ImageImageImage x4

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:26 am
Did the other countries just form their own non-US WTO subsidiary? Or did they tell trump, "Fuck off, wanker. We're doing it live."
"Under the temporary fix" -- until January 20, 2021

Addie

Post by Addie »

CBC
Mexico joins Canada, notifies U.S. it's ready to implement new NAFTA
Social Sharing

Date for the revised North American trade deal to kick in now up to Americans

The Mexican government notified Canada and the U.S. late Friday that it is ready to implement the revised North American trade agreement, leaving it up to the Americans now to decide when the deal should take effect.

Jesús Seade, Mexico's chief negotiator, announced the news on Twitter overnight, saying in Spanish that "with this, we will have a modern instrument that will strengthen the competitiveness of the region and energize the trilateral relationship."

Juan José Gómez Camacho, Mexico's ambassador to Canada, followed that tweet with one of his own on Saturday morning, adding that "this new instrument will strengthen the North American region and provide new dynamism to our economies."

Canada was the first to notify its NAFTA partners Thursday that it was ready to set a date for the revised deal to take effect.

All eyes are now on the U.S. government to decide when it wants to proceed.

All three countries have ratified the deal.
Don't do stupid shit. -Barack Obama

woodworker

Post by woodworker »

Trump will want to unilaterally revise it now. I don't know how, but he will have to do something to change the focus on how he fucked us all on the virus. Maybe he will say that illegal aliens snuck it in and Mexico now has to reimburse us for all the damage -- after they pay for the wall.
bring out the tumbrils -- lots of them.

Return to “Trump Administration”