Trump's Trade Follicy

Addie

Re: Trump's Trade Follicy

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:54 pm

Cross-posting

Politico
Republicans threaten revolt, may block Trump's Mexico tariffs

GOP senators left a closed-door meeting with White House officials deeply frustrated with the president's plans.

Republicans are warning that President Donald Trump could face a shocking rebellion against him on the Senate floor if the president slaps Mexico with wide-ranging tariffs.

At a closed-door lunch Tuesday, two Trump administration officials laid out the president’s view: There is a crisis at the border and Mexico needs to stem the surge of migrants to avoid the new levies.

But White House deputy counsel Pat Philbin and Assistant Attorney General Steve Engel faced brutal push-back from the GOP, according to multiple senators, with some threatening that Trump could actually face a veto-proof majority to overturn the tariffs.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) told reporters the party spent “almost our entire lunch” going back and forth with the administration and warned afterward “there is not much support in my conference for tariffs, that's for sure.”

In March, 12 Republicans moved to reject Trump’s emergency declaration on the southern border, eight short of a veto-proof majority. But given the strong free-trade inclinations of the Senate GOP, the president could face a far larger rebuke if he ends up moving forward on the tariffs.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:03 am

Overall Trade Deficit Drops as Gap With China Grows

https://www.courthousenews.com/overall- ... ina-grows/
America’s trade gap with all countries dropped 2.1% in April, but overall exports fell and the deficit with China widened amid a trade war with no end in sight.

The difference between the number of goods and services the U.S. sells and buys from other countries fell to $50.8 billion from a revised $51.9 billion in March.

Imports and exports both dropped by 2.2%, to $257.6 billion and $206.8 billion, respectively.

But the goods deficit with China spiked 29.7% to $26.9 billion in April, as exports to Beijing dropped 24.3% and imports rose 11.6%, according to a Commerce Department report released Thursday.
The Chinese have succeeded in reducing the amount of goods they buy from us while we Americans increased the amount of good we buy from them. Trump's trade war not going so well?
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:09 pm

We're making up for it with all the Tariffs they're paying, though.
:rolleye:
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:10 pm

Judd Legum

Verified account

@JuddLegum
2h2 hours ago
More
FACT: The joint US-Mexico declaration, which is less than 500 words long, requires Mexico to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING it isn't already doing.

It is not a "deal."

It is a fig leaf to cover up Trump's humiliating diplomatic defeat.

What is particularly infuriating is how much "objective" media coverage repeats the Trump narrative without pointing out the basic fact that Mexico didn't agree to do anything new.

It's absolutely ridiculous.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:16 pm

The New York Times

Verified account

@nytimes
55m55 minutes ago
More
Breaking News: President Trump hailed his new deal with Mexico to avoid tariffs. But the terms were actually agreed on months ago, officials in both nations said.
https://t.co/QkNy5DLkNz
Friday’s joint declaration says Mexico agreed to the “deployment of its National Guard throughout Mexico, giving priority to its southern border.” But the Mexican government had already pledged to do that in March during secret talks in Miami between Kirstjen Nielsen, then the secretary of homeland security, and Olga Sanchez, the Mexican secretary of the interior, the officials said.

The centerpiece of Mr. Trump’s deal was an expansion of a program to allow asylum-seekers to remain in Mexico while their legal cases proceed. But that arrangement was first reached in December in a pair of painstakingly negotiated diplomatic notes that the two countries exchanged. Ms. Nielsen announced the Migrant Protection Protocols during a hearing of the House Judiciary Committee five days before Christmas.

And over the past week, negotiators failed to persuade Mexico to accept a “safe third country” treaty that would have given the United States the legal ability to reject asylum seekers if they had not sought refuge in Mexico first.

:snippity:

It was unclear whether Mr. Trump believed that the agreement truly represented new and broader concessions, or whether the president understood the limits of the deal but accepted it as a face-saving way to escape from the political and economic consequences of imposing tariffs on Mexico.

tek

Post by tek » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:59 pm

It was time to declare victory; this shiny object wasn't generating the headlines he needed.

Time for the next shiny object.
There's no way back
from there to here

Uninformed

Post by Uninformed » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:07 pm

"Mexico Never Agreed to Farm Deal With U.S., Contradicting Trump" :

"Mexico never agreed to buy more U.S. farm products as part of a deal reached late Friday on border security and illegal immigration that averted the threat of U.S. tariffs, said three Mexican officials, contradicting a claim made by President Donald Trump."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ting-trump

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:39 am

Trump: If President Xi does not attend G-20, more China tariffs will go into effect immediately

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/10/trump-i ... ately.html
President Donald Trump confirmed on Monday that additional tariffs on Chinese goods will be levied if Chinese President Xi Jinping does not attend this month’s G-20 meeting.

When asked during a telephone interview if that means the new tariffs would go into effect immediately, Trump told CNBC’s Becky Quick, “Yes, it would.”
Trump is a bully.

tek

Post by tek » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:43 am

Receding further into his fantasy world :(

China's gonna clean our clocks if he keeps this shit up.
There's no way back
from there to here

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:02 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:39 am
Trump: If President Xi does not attend G-20, more China tariffs will go into effect immediately

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/10/trump-i ... ately.html
President Donald Trump confirmed on Monday that additional tariffs on Chinese goods will be levied if Chinese President Xi Jinping does not attend this month’s G-20 meeting.

When asked during a telephone interview if that means the new tariffs would go into effect immediately, Trump told CNBC’s Becky Quick, “Yes, it would.”
Trump is a bully.
Just brainstorming - I wonder if someone hinted that Xi does not intend to have a personal meeting with dotus to finalize a trade deal that is still far from its final stage. And dotus thinks he can push Xi around. And Xi may want to "save face" and not be seen near dotus. Cause see how dotus was flying around Putin like a mosquito at earlier meetings. Maybe Xi does not want to be at a G-20 meeting at this point in time cause he just dallied with Putin these days and has little need for the US.

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:16 pm

Maybe Putin is giving Trump "advice" to add to pressure on Xi to increase ties to Russia? It hardly seems necessary but then, if I were Putin, I'd do it. It looks like fun. See what I made Trump do now?

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:31 pm

PaulG wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:16 pm
Maybe Putin is giving Trump "advice" to add to pressure on Xi to increase ties to Russia? It hardly seems necessary but then, if I were Putin, I'd do it. It looks like fun. See what I made Trump do now?
:yeah: Sounds likely to me.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:15 pm

TIME: President Trump Hints at His Next Trade War Target: French Wine

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:59 pm

U.S. Customs and Border Protection Says Traveler Images Exposed in Cyberattack

BY ASSOCIATED PRESS 6:16 PM EDT

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Customs and Border Protection service says images of travelers — which it presumably collected at points of entry — have been exposed in a malicious cyberattack.

The federal agency said Monday that license plate images were also exposed in an attack that compromised a subcontractor’s computer network.

It did not specify how many images may have been copied and said none of the data has been identified on the internet or Dark Web.

CBP did not name the contractor. It said it learned of the data breach on May 31 and that the subcontractor had transferred copies of the images to its company network in violation of government policies and without the agency’s authorization.

https://time.com/5604341/us-customs-tra ... berattack/

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:19 pm

Addie wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:15 pm
TIME: President Trump Hints at His Next Trade War Target: French Wine
So what? You people act like he owns a winery and would profit personally if...

oh...

nevermind.

MEXICO IS GONNA BUY ALL OUR CORN AND FARM STUFF FOR RECORD PRICES, BELIEVE ME!!!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:59 pm

Mark Knoller

Verified account

@markknoller
Follow Follow @markknoller
More
Pressed further by reporters, Pres Trump says the additional deal with Mexico - on that piece of paper - "goes into effect when I want it to." "This is my option," he says.

:confused:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:29 pm

[The President] shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two-thirds of the Senators present concur...

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:14 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:59 pm
Mark Knoller

Verified account

@markknoller
More
Pressed further by reporters, Pres Trump says the additional deal with Mexico - on that piece of paper - "goes into effect when I want it to." "This is my option," he says.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8zB3PSWwAAknm6.png

And as a bonus, it also has a list of Communists working at the State Department.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:19 pm

I'm sure this is the powerful paper he will use to finally take down the derp state. Send stamps, and money for fax lines.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:37 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:59 pm
Mark Knoller

Verified account

@markknoller
More

First, the Wapo photographer managed to get a picture that shows partial text, and it says something about stuff not in the one Mexico admits to signing. I think that was intentional, he knows by now that they take pictures of the pages he holds and blow them up, so he takes a fake agreement out (are we to believe he carries the thing around? Why, is he taking so Show and Tell at the Daycare?), waves it around, makes sure they get some pictures to blow up and all of a sudden, he might really have a secret agreement, hell, Mexico IS going to pay for the wall, says so right here, on this secret agreement I'm carrying around for ....reasons. If this lying fuck says its dark outside at midnight, I'd have to look out the window before I might believe him.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:58 am

Remember how trump said Chinese tariffs will force countries to bring factories to the US?

He forgot how many other countries are on this planet.

It's the WSJ so...paywall.
Goldie reports the party a success and all zombies inebriated eliminated.
ImageImageImage x4

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:50 pm

I saw an article about Sharp considering a move to Vietnam for laptop production and other production shifts. I think it is an obvious move and inevitable that any reduction in the China trade imbalance is just going to be shifted to other Asian countries. Vietnam is well-poised with a well-educated, young population having a very positive outlook in general. I imagine there might be some HC economic papers about Vietnam's economic development but it certainly seems ready to pass from the period of low-tech to high-tech manufacturing. Nonetheless, and while China and Vietnam are not brothers-in-communist-arms right now, the Vietnamese economy is surely as state-controlled as China, and will be just as careful to exercise its powers to nationalist benefit...

The article on Sharp
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/ ... QL7OhYzaUk
Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:12 pm

Businesses waking up to the dangers of Trump tariffs.

Why New Balance turned on Trump over China tariffs

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/16/economy/ ... index.html
American sneaker company New Balance welcomed President Donald Trump's tough trade stance in 2016 -- but now the athletic footwear manufacturer is strongly opposing the President's latest threat to expand tariffs on China.

New Balance boasts that it's the only major company to make more than four million pairs of athletic shoes a year domestically. It has five New England factories, with one more expected to open next year. The catch? It needs to import component parts from China that are no longer made in the United States.

"The proposed Tranche 4 tariffs will risk our company's overall financial health, which will in turn limit our ability to maintain and reinvest in our American factories," said a letter submitted by New Balance to the US Trade Representative's Office ahead of a hearing next week.

It's just one example of how many American corporations have built supply chains that span the globe, and why Trump's protectionist trade policies won't work to bring manufacturing back to the United States. It's just too hard to ding China without hurting American companies, workers and consumers along the way.
‘Catastrophic,’ ‘Cataclysmic’: Trump’s Tariff Threat Has Retailers Sounding Alarm

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/16/busi ... ilers.html
Already battered by the e-commerce revolution, traditional retail stores are bracing for another blow — new tariffs on $300 billion worth of Chinese imports that the Trump administration is threatening to impose.

Retailers and analysts warn the impact will be disastrous for an industry already tormented by vacant storefronts and deserted malls. The reason: Unlike earlier tariffs that mostly targeted industrial and commercial products, the next round is aimed squarely at consumer goods like footwear, toys and apparel.

Even for healthy chains, like Walmart and Costco, the new duties threaten the business formula that helped speed their rapid rise over the last few decades: Import cheap products from Asia and sell them at rock-bottom prices. The National Retail Federation estimates that China supplies 42 percent of all apparel, 73 percent of household appliances and 88 percent of toys sold in the United States.

The government has already imposed tariffs on $250 billion worth of Chinese goods. President Trump has said he will decide on whether to impose duties on the remaining $300 billion in imports but hasn’t set a firm deadline.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:18 pm

India to impose retaliatory tariffs on 28 U.S. goods

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/indi ... s-n1017971
India will impose higher retaliatory tariffs on 28 U.S. products including almonds, apples and walnuts from Sunday, following Washington's withdrawal of key trade privileges for New Delhi.

India is by far the largest buyer of U.S. almonds, paying $543 million for more than half of U.S. almond exports in 2018, U.S. Department of Agriculture data shows. It is the second largest buyer of U.S. apples, taking $156 million worth in 2018.

Jcolvin2

Post by Jcolvin2 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:26 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:18 pm
India to impose retaliatory tariffs on 28 U.S. goods

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/indi ... s-n1017971
India will impose higher retaliatory tariffs on 28 U.S. products including almonds, apples and walnuts from Sunday, following Washington's withdrawal of key trade privileges for New Delhi.

India is by far the largest buyer of U.S. almonds, paying $543 million for more than half of U.S. almond exports in 2018, U.S. Department of Agriculture data shows. It is the second largest buyer of U.S. apples, taking $156 million worth in 2018.
Unlike the Chinese tariffs, which seemed targeted at battleground states or red states, the Indian tariffs on almonds, apples and walnuts will hit hardest in California and Washington state, i.e., states that Trump is unlikely to win.

Return to “Trump Administration”