Trump's Trade Follicy

Jim

Re: Trump's Trade Follicy

Post by Jim » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:56 pm

Gregg wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:36 pm
By the way, if you drive a Ford, the seats and other interior components of your car are made largely from soybeans.
Soon to be Brazilian soybeans?

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:58 pm

I doubt that, but any tariffs on parts content would get real ugly, real fast. China started tariffs this week that includes transmissions, and that's gonna hit me (and the Ohio and Michigan transmission plants) personally.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:15 pm

Jim wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:56 pm
Gregg wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:36 pm
By the way, if you drive a Ford, the seats and other interior components of your car are made largely from soybeans.
Soon to be Brazilian soybeans?
No, but there is nothing special about soybean oil. Canola oil, coconut oil etc etc can all be substituted depending on what it is being used for.
► Show Spoiler
As far as Ford:

http://www.hpcorporategroup.com/soy-bas ... icles.html
By using bio-based foam, Ford is able to reduce its use of oil by more than 3 million pounds per year. The company has also achieved a 15 million pound reduction in its carbon dioxide emissions. Other renewable sources for foam that Ford is researching include rapeseed, sunflower and palm oil.
Probably not in time for this year or next year, but if soybean oil becomes a problem. . .

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:28 pm

Things like that are more like "in the next ten years", you would be amazed at what goes into product development and research. The testing for seat foam or dashboard plastic takes at least 5 years after they "find" what they want.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:09 pm

CNBC - July 4 2018: Kick 'em while they're down: Tariffs hit struggling US food, beverage companies Pepsi, J.M. Smucker, Campbell Soup

Some food and beverage companies were already struggling before the EU and Canada slapped the U.S. with hefty new tariffs.

Campbell Soup faces a 10 percent tax on its soup, broths and tomato products after already being hit by the U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum.

Tariffs on peanut butter and orange juice add to rising costs for J.M. Smucker and PepsiCo.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:52 pm

Addie wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:09 pm
CNBC - July 4 2018: Kick 'em while they're down: Tariffs hit struggling US food, beverage companies Pepsi, J.M. Smucker, Campbell Soup

Some food and beverage companies were already struggling before the EU and Canada slapped the U.S. with hefty new tariffs.

Campbell Soup faces a 10 percent tax on its soup, broths and tomato products after already being hit by the U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum.

Tariffs on peanut butter and orange juice add to rising costs for J.M. Smucker and PepsiCo.
Peanut butter and Pepsi! Now I'm really mad!

I pick my avatar to the holiday but now can't bear to look at puppy w/his flag. This is more appropriate.
ImageImageImage x4

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:01 pm

You may remember my adventure with mice eating the wiring harness to my hybrid battery last fall. I was with a group of friends who were complaining that suddenly they have mouse infestations in their cars, too, so we looked it up. We are not alone.
A class-action lawsuit was filed this week on behalf of thousands of Toyota owners who say rodents are eating car wires coated with soy-based materials, causing thousands of dollars in damage.
"Toyota incorporates soy- or bio-based ingredients in the wiring ... that bait rodents – including rats, squirrels and other animals," the lawsuit says. Honda is facing a similar suit.
In an effort to reduce waste, some car manufacturers wrap wires in a soy-based material.
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/loca ... 34033.html

It’s tough going, though.
Last month, a federal court judge in California granted motions from Toyota to dismiss a class-action lawsuit filed in 2016 against the automaker seeking to force it to cover – under warranty – damage from rodents chewing through insulation for engine wiring that is now soy-based versus petroleum-based. The suit was dismissed without leave to amend, meaning it can't be refiled.

“Toyota apparently isn’t willing to fix this defect or compensate customers who have paid significant amounts of money to mechanics to repair damage caused by rats, squirrels and mice. People purchased these vehicles because they believed they were buying a reliable product, but Toyota refuses to acknowledge this problem even exists — or cover the damage under its warranty program,” said Kabateck, a Los Angeles attorney.

But Toyota called the claims “meritless.”

“We are gratified that, after repeated failures to allege facts that would support their defect claims, the Court dismissed plaintiffs’ meritless claims without leave to amend,” Toyota said in an email statement.The lawsuit was mentioned in a May story in the Free Press about a Royal Oak woman who found rats had chewed up the engine wiring on her Ford Mustang.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 737634002/

ETA: wrong thread?

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

tek

Post by tek » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:39 pm

not necessarily related to the specific insulation that Toyota used.

I had to repair a bit of rodent damage to the wiring in one of my vehicles (a Jeep) about a month ago, and when I mentioned that to one of my engineering co-conspirators, he wrote:
I had a rat make a nest in my F150 20+ years ago. Chewed all of the injector wiring since the intake manifold was a nice flat warm surface. The amazing thing, was this was all done in a single weekend. I used that vehicle for my drive to work every weekday. They can move fast.

And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:34 pm

Suranis mousy, is soy based wire insulation part of your dietry base :?:

;)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:51 pm

German Cars and American Steak: Early Trade War Victims Emerge

Bloomberg News
July 8, 2018, 6:00 PM GMT+2 Updated on July 9, 2018, 12:00 PM GMT+2

Costlier U.S. beef in Shanghai shows instant impact of tariffs
BMW says it won’t be able to absorb duty increase completely

China’s retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods struck just as one of its biggest meat importers was rushing a shipment from California through Shanghai customs. Now Suzhou Huadong Foods Ltd. is saddled with a stack of unaffordable American steak.
► Show Spoiler
Triggering what China calls "the largest trade war in economic history," the U.S. on July 6 imposed a 25 percent duty on $34 billion of Chinese imports. Beijing immediately responded with tariffs on U.S. soybeans, meat and vehicles. Suzhou Huadong, which supplies supermarkets such as Walmart Inc.’s Sam’s Club in China, is just one of the early victims. For automobiles and whiskey makers to companies along the complex global supply chain that defines modern manufacturing, it is a moment of reckoning as they grapple with higher costs and whiplashes from some of the earlier business decisions.

The ability of tariff-hit companies to weather the conflict may partly depend on the amount of stock they managed to import before higher levies kicked in. But once those supplies run down, they’ll have to absorb the tariffs or pass them on to customers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -trade-war

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:59 pm

HuffPo
Ivanka Trump's Chinese-Made Products Conveniently Spared From Dad's Tariffs

Donald Trump’s tariffs on Chinese goods won’t touch Ivanka Trump’s foreign-made products for her fashion line.

While Trump rails at Harley-Davidson motorcycles for moving some production to Europe to dodge EU tariffs, the first daughter and senior White House adviser has never manufactured a single product for her Ivanka Trump brand on American soil.

Trump enacted tariffs Friday morning on $34 billion worth of Chinese goods, affecting hundreds of products from boats to medical devices and auto parts. Products spared include those manufactured by his daughter.

That means Chengdu Kameido Shoes in Sichuan province can continue to supply shoes for the Ivanka Trump brand as it has in the past. It’s currently bidding for a new contract to manufacture 140,000 pairs of shoes for Trump’s company, a spokesman told The South China Morning Post.

Hangzhou HS Fashion in Zhejiang province also said it’s filling orders for orders for the G-III Apparel Group, which supplies shoes to Trump’s brand.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:52 pm

I have to assume that his base never reads or hears about things like Ivanka's very special waiver. Otherwise, I can't believe they wouldn't at least question why she, alone, is exempted. Or are they that completely taken in?

Never mind. I answered my own question. :madguy: :smokeears: :brickwallsmall:

"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:44 pm

It's not, at least to my knowledge, a special waiver. There simply aren't new tariffs (either incoming or outgoing) on the type of goods that she's marketing.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:53 pm

I concede that, Mike, but also think there's a reason such goods are being exempted. I find it impossible to believe that EGOTUS would do anything without an interior, self-serving reason. Yes, I'm cynical, but I have every reason to be.

"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:53 pm
I concede that, Mike, but also think there's a reason such goods are being exempted. I find it impossible to believe that EGOTUS would do anything without an interior, self-serving reason. Yes, I'm cynical, but I have every reason to be.
There's a very good reason for the US to exempt such goods. They're very, very commonly-purchased consumer items, enormous quantities of which are imported from abroad. As such, any punitive tariff would have a clear, immediate, and dramatic impact on every consumer's bottom line - particularly going into the midterms, which is near the time when lots of people have to do things like buy new clothes for their kids for the new school year.

It's easy to fall into the conspiracist thought patterns. Fight that.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:44 pm

But, if the intent of the tariffs is to lower the trade deficit, and if bulk of our imports are cheap consumer goods, why aren't they being impacted?

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:52 pm

There are lots of reasons, but most of them boil down to certain people not being all that bright.

Seriously, there's not a lot of coherence in play right now. Despite all the bitching about overall trade deficits, this started with a formal finding that national security requires supporting American steel and aluminum production, and tariffs nominally designed for that approach. Everything since has been response and escalation.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:30 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:44 pm
But, if the intent of the tariffs is to lower the trade deficit, and if bulk of our imports are cheap consumer goods, why aren't they being impacted?

Mike beat me to it, but the Presdient can't impose Tariffs at a whim, they're a tax and at some point they would have to originate in a bill that started out in the House etc.... He needs Congress some of the time.

But, since 1962, (ya know, Cuban Missile Crisis, cold war, all that...) there has been a loophole that he can impose Tariffs if so doing is vital to National Security. And that's how and why Canadian Milk became a National Security Interest. :thumbs:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Total (Trade) War!!!!! :?

Heather Long

Verified account

@byHeatherLong
Follow Follow @byHeatherLong
More
Last night, China began telling its companies:
1. We'll compensate you for losses from the #tradewar
2. Stop buying American products (even if they're not on tariff list)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/ch ... ca4ce8ffc0 … via @DPAQreport #trade

9:27 AM - 10 Jul 2018

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:40 pm

:shock:

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:46 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:40 pm
Centralized economies have resources in trade wars that market economies lack.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:47 pm

Besides, Trump has started a war on 5 or 6 fronts. There is no way it wont be harder on the adversary than them

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Carl von Ossietsky

Post by Carl von Ossietsky » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:50 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:46 pm
RoadScholar wrote:
But don't worry, trade wars are easy to win even when it's just you against the rest ...

будем здоровы!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:59 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:46 pm
RoadScholar wrote:
Frankly, I've been wondering if Trump was going to try that same tack, not that he can do this on his own.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

tek

Post by tek » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:20 pm

RVInit wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:59 pm
Frankly, I've been wondering if Trump was going to try that same tack, not that he can do this on his own.
Hard to do, but even harder to do when you've pissed away the treasury on a stupid tax cut.

And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

Return to “Trump Administration”