Trump's Trade Follicy

Addie

Re: Trump's Trade Follicy

Post by Addie » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:43 am

ProPublica: Bibles but Not Textbooks: Trump’s Tariff Exemptions Pick Winners and Losers

Products won exemptions from the U.S. Trade Representative for “health, safety, national security and other factors,” but the criteria remain unclear.
Des Moines Register: 'A slap in the face': Trump's ethanol waivers are sparking rebellion in farm country

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:07 am

And this morning he says China wants to negotiate, so of course Dow futures are way up.

I'm sorry, but anyone who claims that investors and market analysts are somehow possessed of knowledge, understanding, or discipline that escapes the rest of us mere mortals is just wrong. You know what Wall Street collectively reminds me of? Charlie Brown with the damn football. Trump is Lucy.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:31 am

If Trump says it, it's 99.44% BS. Too bad the investors are so gullible as to believe every little bread crumb that he throws to them.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:48 am

ZekeB wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:31 am
If Trump says it, it's 99.44% BS. Too bad the investors are so gullible as to believe every little bread crumb that he throws to them.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:50 am

:o

Nuke it before it multiplies!
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:29 am

New and Improved hurricane destruction - now with nuclear fallout!
ImageImageImage x4

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:01 am

fierceredpanda wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:07 am
And this morning he says China wants to negotiate, so of course Dow futures are way up.

I'm sorry, but anyone who claims that investors and market analysts are somehow possessed of knowledge, understanding, or discipline that escapes the rest of us mere mortals is just wrong. You know what Wall Street collectively reminds me of? Charlie Brown with the damn football. Trump is Lucy.
But, he just made it up...
"I have not heard of the weekend calls mentioned by the United States," said Geng Shuang, a spokesman for China's foreign ministry.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:20 am

fierceredpanda wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:07 am

I guess it's only the speculators that are driving this hike at this time, expecting that the un-initiated small players are jumping by the words of Teh Donald. Then Automatic Trading starts to skew these first transactions. The real commerce players know to ignore this dotus and look at the real state of the economy. Also too they will have their own backdoor contacts to Peking to know what actually is happening on their side. What Teh Donald probably was told by Lightenizer and his team was that China would be back for talks under certain conditions. Teh Donald only heard the first part of the sentence and is totally ignoring any preconditions.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:26 am

I don't know what the day will bring, but if you bought at 9:30 am and sold at 10:00, you might have made a little money.
ImageImageImage x4

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:53 am

I suspect a lot of it is being driving by algorithmic trading programs with no human input whatsoever.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:01 am

US exports to lobster-loving China go off cliff amid tariffs

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wi ... itter_abcn
Meanwhile, business is booming in Canada, where cargo planes are coming to Halifax, Nova Scotia, and Moncton, New Brunswick, to handle a growing bump in exports. Canadian fishermen catch the same species of lobster as American lobstermen, who are based mostly in Maine.

The loss of business has brought layoffs to some Maine businesses, such as The Lobster Co., of Arundel, where owner Stephanie Nadeau has laid off half the 14 people she once had working in wholesale.

:snippity:

America has exported less than 2.2 million pounds (1 million kilograms) of lobster to China this year through June, according to data from the U.S. federal government. The country exported nearly 12 million pounds during that same period last year. That's a more than 80% drop.

In Canada, exports to China through June were already approaching 33 million pounds, which is nearly as much as all of 2018.
Canada may be able to completely replace US lobster on Chinese dinner plates. Good for the Maritime Provinces. Bad for Maine.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

tek

Post by tek » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:15 am

I'm sure Susan Collins is Deeply Concerned
There's no way back
from there to here

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:30 pm

tek wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:15 am
I'm sure Susan Collins is Deeply Concerned
:oopsy: :yeah:

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:53 pm

Is there anything to stop the Mainers selling their lobster to Canada? Will the Canadian Atlantic Lobster Marketing Group or somebody buy Maine lobster and just mix it in with the rest?

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:20 pm

PaulG wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:53 pm
Is there anything to stop the Mainers selling their lobster to Canada? Will the Canadian Atlantic Lobster Marketing Group or somebody buy Maine lobster and just mix it in with the rest?
Those pesky Canadian lobster people already have huge catches. They sneak down here and steal our lobstahs.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:49 pm

About Lobsters:

1. It matters where the lobsters land. Lobsters landed in Maine are US lobsters, can’t be trucked to Canada and turned into Canada lobsters.
2. Canada lobsters can ship from US airports and still be Canada lobsters.
3. Lobster day boats can’t usually make it to Canadian wholesalers.
4. This year, individual lobster fishermen are getting slightly higher prices.
5. Climate is changing, lobster fishing areas moving north.
6. Some wholesalers opening business in both Canada and US.

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/04/12/ ... fy-supply/
Edit: But as Canadian exports to China go up, Canada imports more US lobsters to backfill domestic demand. Canada processes US catch into frozen lobster and exports that to US.

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/09/14/ ... hina-boom/
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:33 pm

What if the Maine lobsters swim over to the Canadian side and request asylum?

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:48 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:49 pm
Edit: But as Canadian exports to China go up, Canada imports more US lobsters to backfill domestic demand. Canada processes US catch into frozen lobster and exports that to US.

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/09/14/ ... hina-boom/
And Mexico pays for it!

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:08 am

This Twitter account is worth watching, the guy is speaking (informally but its owned by China) for the Chinese Government... https://twitter.com/HuXijin_GT

Hu Xijin 胡锡进Verified account
@HuXijin_GT
Editor-in-chief of Chinese and English editions of the Global Times | 《环球时报》总编辑

Hu Xijin 胡锡进 Verified account
@HuXijin_GT 19h19 hours ago

Based on what I know, Chinese and US top negotiators didn't hold phone talks in recent days. The two sides have been keeping contact at technical level, it doesn't have significance that President Trump suggested. China didn't change its position. China won't cave to US pressure.

403 replies 952 retweets 1,701 likes

A few more...
Hu.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Avatar Photo: Rusty, the All American Squirrel, was given Karl P. Koenigs' gun. Rusty: "Sucks to be you, Karl."
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:02 am

Farmers’ Frustration With Trump Grows as U.S. Escalates China Fight
But many farmers continue to support Mr. Trump and express hope that the president knows what he is doing in his dealings with China. A July survey from Farm Journal found that 79 percent of 1,100 farmers still back Mr. Trump despite the lack of progress in negotiations with China. And Mr. Perdue largely remains an effective emissary, with the industry still hoping Mr. Trump can pull off the kind of trade deal he has been promising.
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEH ... id=US%3Aen
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:08 am

. . . 79 percent of 1,100 farmers still back Mr. Trump . . .
Let them grow dirt. Trump may destroy their farms, but he will continue to protect them from being forced to get abortions and sex change operations.

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:14 am

Hope is the last thing that dies in man ...
Francois De La Rochefoucauld
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

Mr Brolin

Post by Mr Brolin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:48 am

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump ... 2019-08-17

A few points...

Midwest bankers reported that the percentage of farm loans their customers are having problems repaying hit a 20-year high in the second quarter this year, according to a survey published on Thursday by the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.

“The portion of the District’s agricultural loan portfolio reported as having ‘major’ or ‘severe’ repayment problems (6.2%) had not been higher in the second quarter of a year since 1999,” the report said.

The St. Louis Fed said, the second quarter of this year saw the 22nd consecutive quarter for farm income declines in the Eighth Federal Reserve District (Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, and Tennessee). Depressed incomes are expected to continue through the second half of 2019, pulled down by an escalating trade war between the US and China, crop production issues with the possibility of lower yields thanks to adverse weather conditions, and overall agriculture prices remaining in deflation, the Eighth District said.

A review of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) quarterly report by Tri-State Livestock News also revealed that “delinquency rates for commercial agricultural loans in both the real estate and non-real estate lending sectors are at a six-year high.”

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:52 am

Mr Brolin wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:48 am
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump ... 2019-08-17

A few points...

Midwest bankers reported that the percentage of farm loans their customers are having problems repaying hit a 20-year high in the second quarter this year, according to a survey published on Thursday by the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.

:snippity:
Ahhh - Teh Donald will like to hear of record high numbers - he is just numb to the stats they report :blackeye:

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:13 pm

More from Hu. CNBC analysts and guests were quoting him with China providing more internal stimulus meaning Donald may not have the leverage he thinks he has:

Hu Xijin.JPG

Another big swing, from up 200 to down 132 on the Dow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Avatar Photo: Rusty, the All American Squirrel, was given Karl P. Koenigs' gun. Rusty: "Sucks to be you, Karl."
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Return to “Trump Administration”