Trump's Trade Follicy

Volkonski

Re: Trump's Trade Follicy

Post by Volkonski »

Daniel Dale

@ddale8
· 3m
Replying to @ddale8
Trump says that previous American presidents "never spoke to India" about trade. You may have noticed that he is a big liar.

Daniel Dale

@ddale8
Trump says "no" when asked if this means he's taking off tariffs on Canada. He says, "The steel is staying where it is, and aluminum."

11:59 AM - Oct 1, 2018
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

I doubt that (sensible) people in the 1930s would have adviocated tariffs. They understood too well that barriers to trade were a major cause of the Depression.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Daniel Dale

@ddale8
· 2m
Replying to @ddale8
For the 23rd time, Trump falsely claims, "Almost every country in the world we have trade deficits. We lose with everybody." The U.S. had surpluses with more than half of all countries last year.

Daniel Dale

@ddale8
Asked how confident he is that this deal will be passed by Congress, Trump says, "Not at all confident. I'm not."

12:05 PM - Oct 1, 2018
If Congress doesn't pass it Trump will be left with nothing.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Aaron Rupar

Verified account

@atrupar
Following Following @atrupar
More
WHOA: Trump mockingly criticizes a female reporter who tries to ask him a question for not thinking -- "you never do," he tells her -- then refuses to answer her question about Kavanaugh.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Poor Trump. The Kavanaugh investigation is sucking all the fun out of his trade press conference. ;)

Daniel Dale

@ddale8
· 2m
Replying to @ddale8
"It wouldn't bother me at all" if Julie Swetnick were interviewed by the FBI, Trump says, though he's heard she has little credibility. He adds: "If there is any credibility, interview the third one."

Daniel Dale

@ddale8
Reporters are doing a really good job here pressing Trump over and over on the FBI investigation.

12:19 PM - Oct 1, 2018
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

MJ Lee

Verified account

@mj_lee
Following Following @mj_lee
More
Trump, who does not like drinking, says about Kavanaugh: "I was surprised by how vocal he was about the fact that he likes beer"

11:22 AM - 1 Oct 2018
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Eli Stokols

@EliStokols
Trump has gone from speaking in a normal tone to basically shouting as he attacks Democrats -- three by name, so far -- and their credibility going after Kavanaugh.

12:25 PM - Oct 1, 2018
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Daniel Dale

@ddale8
· 1m
Replying to @ddale8
Asked to offer specifics about his innuendo about Democrats being non-angels, "I think I'll save it for a book like everybody else."

Daniel Dale

@ddale8
Trump says four times that Kavanaugh was "#1 at Yale." Yale doesn't do class rankings.

12:32 PM - Oct 1, 2018
Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo - Paul Waldman
Trump makes minor trade deal, declares world-historic victory

What is the difference, as far as the president is concerned, between the worst deal ever made and an incredible, spectacular, amazing deal? It’s obvious: Terrible deals are those negotiated by people other than Donald Trump, while fantastic deals are those negotiated, or at least approved, by Donald Trump.

So NAFTA was terrible, while the new NAFTA — despite not being all that different from the old NAFTA — is fantastic.

A month ago, it looked entirely possible that Trump, who considers himself the world’s greatest dealmaker, could go the first two years of his presidency without making any deals at all, on anything. He has walked away from some deals — the Iran nuclear agreement, the Paris climate accord, the Trans-Pacific Partnership — but not done anything new, whether you’re talking about trade, military cooperation, conflict resolution, or even domestic legislation (the one major thing Republicans in Congress did, a tax cut, happened largely without his involvement). Could that be because everyone, especially other nations, looks at him and sees a dishonest, erratic, unreliable partner whom they can’t trust to keep his word? Who knows.

But then last week, Trump signed an update to a free trade agreement we had with South Korea, making some minor tweaks that might or might not result in more American cars being sold there. At last, a deal! Trump had called the original version, in place since 2012, a “horrible deal.” He hailed the new agreement by saying, “It’s great for South Korea. It’s great for the United States. It’s great for both.”

And now that same script is being written about the new NAFTA, officially called the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, or USMCA (unfortunately, “Uh-sum-cuh” doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue). NAFTA, Trump often said, was the worst deal in history. But with just a couple of changes, it’s now going be trumpeted as the greatest thing since the poutine taco.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Other countries have learned to just disregard whatever he says about a "deal" and just have their people do the actual work backchannel. It's a shame all these reporters kept asking about Kavanaugh instead of drilling down into specific trade policies.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Turtle wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:44 pm It's a shame all these reporters kept asking about Kavanaugh instead of drilling down into specific trade policies.
1) The public is more interested right now in the Kavanaugh investigation than NAFTA 2.0.

2) Trump knows nothing about NAFTA 2.0’s details. Anything he does say will either be a) an exaggeration, or b) flat out wrong.
Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

It’s the pandemic, stupid!
Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:05 pm
Turtle wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:44 pm It's a shame all these reporters kept asking about Kavanaugh instead of drilling down into specific trade policies.
1) The public is more interested right now in the Kavanaugh investigation than NAFTA 2.0.

2) Trump knows nothing about NAFTA 2.0’s details. Anything he does say will either be a) an exaggeration, or b) flat out wrong.
or c) possible only in an alternative universe, or d) an outright lie, or e) nothing that makes sense in English, or f) a tribute to the enormity of his enormous dealing skills very good dealmaking you know, he's great on the tariffs, or g) fodder for a really geeky alternate history book, or ......
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

There's poutine tacos? :sick:
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

TexasFilly wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:26 pm There's poutine tacos? :sick:
Thanks. I was just about to go eat lunch.
:sick:
:sick:
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

I read a few details on the new agreement. It isn't much different from NAFTA and it's not clear whether the differences will help or hurt. The amount of NA parts in cars will go up to 75% to qualify to be free of tariffs. It will make it harder to sell smaller cars in China because a higher percentage of the cars will have to be built with $16+/hour labor. Regardless none of these provisions goes into effect until 2020 and it still has be ratified by legislatures in each country.

Canada will open up it's dairy market somewhat. The steel tariffs will remain for now. I am surprised Trudeau agreed to that. The US wanted to get rid of the trade resolution clause but it remained in USMCA.

At least for now it might cool down the trade wars, which is a good thing.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

I'm a little concerned about the IP chapter - I'm hearing that it might contain another copyright term extension, which wouldn't be great.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Reality Check wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:40 pm :snippity:
Canada will open up it's dairy market somewhat. The steel tariffs will remain for now. I am surprised Trudeau agreed to that. The US wanted to get rid of the trade resolution clause but it remained in USMCA.

At least for now it might cool down the trade wars, which is a good thing.
It doesn't look like much of a change in the dairy market.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-t ... story.html#
The win for one niche of dairy exports, however, was not extended to others — Canada will retain its ability to limit imports of dairy products under a supply-control system it has used to protect domestic producers. That system was left largely intact by the original North American Free Trade Agreement that the Trump administration has been renegotiating.

Canadian dairy industry officials said U.S. producers would be able to export their dairy products to Canada without tariffs until they equal 3.59% of domestic Canadian production.

That small opening is about what would have been granted to U.S. producers under the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a pact among 12 Pacific Rim countries from which Trump withdrew in the early days of his administration. Analysts had predicted the pact would boost U.S. agricultural exports by $7 billion annually.
I think the current figure is about 3.25%, so raising it to 3.59% sure won't open the flood gates.
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

ZekeB wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:46 am I wait with baited breath to see the comparison between the old NAFTA and the new NAFTA. Probably very little change, yet The Mouth will claim it's the cure to our old problems.
Others ninja'd me but I like Market Watch. They explain things in a way I can understand. In a nutshell, very minor changes.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/whats ... 2018-10-01
ImageImageImage x4
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Under current World Trade Organization rates, the United States does not impose auto tariffs of more than 2.5 percent (although light trucks are subject to higher tariffs). That means it may end up being cheaper for carmakers to build overseas, ship cars into the United States, and pay the tariff rather than paying the higher wages to North American workers.
http://reason.com/blog/2018/10/01/nafta ... akers-supp
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Chilidog wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:02 pm
Under current World Trade Organization rates, the United States does not impose auto tariffs of more than 2.5 percent (although light trucks are subject to higher tariffs). That means it may end up being cheaper for carmakers to build overseas, ship cars into the United States, and pay the tariff rather than paying the higher wages to North American workers.
http://reason.com/blog/2018/10/01/nafta ... akers-supp
I was wondering how the procedure would be to pay workers on the assembly lines different rates for cars getting exported to the US as also to other countries. Perhaps a bonus per unit sent to the US? Without further details it looks to me as if cars exported to Canada would also fall under the increased hourly pay rate.
Hektor

Post by Hektor »

The thing that I will always remember (other than today I'm 40 and looking fabulous) is that the President of the United States of America threatened to economically ruin my country (which I know, we are nowhere near as friendly as North Korea but I digress) all to in the end get a deal that is at best marginally better than TPP, which he had rejected as being one of those terrible deals like NAFTA.
HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost »

I think the takeaway from the early analysis is globalists will be happy and it is pro-Union strengthening...for Mexico...For which it seems that some Democrats are backing some of the changes.
"I said we will sacrifice the economy in the short term to protect our people's health, people's lives!" - Nguyễn Xuân Phúc
Addie

Post by Addie »

HuffPo: Trump's 'New' Canada-Mexico Trade Deal Has All Kinds Of Improvements? Thanks, Obama.

The so-called "new NAFTA" is mainly what Canada and Mexico agreed to in the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement -- which Trump threw out after taking office.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:31 am Is it going to be pronounced Usmca? Cuz that's just dumb. But trump would demand US be placed first so Musca is out of the question.

Prediction, its going to be pronounced "nafta"

Because that's what everybody but Trump knows it as. The whole new name thing is just him pissing on his territory, kind of like a dog does but he's not as smart as most dogs.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky
GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:25 am USMC - United States Marine Corps?
Yankee Mexico Canada Agreement

YMCA!
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Return to “Trump Administration”