Trump's Trade Follicy

kate520

Re: Trump's Trade Follicy

Post by kate520 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:04 pm

Is there really anyone in the US who thinks a trade war wouldn’t sink us? Why are we letting the most stupid among us make policy decisions? Are there hearts attack darts in Russia?

/rhetorical questions.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:17 pm

kate520 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:04 pm
Is there really anyone in the US who thinks a trade war wouldn’t sink us? Why are we letting the most stupid among us make policy decisions? Are there hearts attack darts in Russia?

/rhetorical questions.
No, and no.
Sekrit Stuffs!
Probably none in Helsinki either. And sadly, apparently, no deep state.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:22 pm

kate520 wrote:

/rhetorical questions.
Twenty two thousand ignorant bigots in the right place at the right time.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:31 pm

kate520 wrote:
Is there really anyone in the US who thinks a trade war wouldn’t sink us?
Ahh... you've never read Breitbart.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:02 am

And we head into the abyss. :(

As Trade War Persists, Mnuchin Says China Talks Have ‘Broken Down’

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/12/us/p ... uchin.html
Mr. Mnuchin, who has tried to avoid calling the trade tensions with China a “war,” said talks with Beijing had “broken down” and suggested it was now up to China to come to the table with concessions. President Trump, speaking in Brussels on Thursday, described the trade talks with China as a “nasty” battle.

The Chinese, meanwhile, accused the United States of “acting erratically” and said the administration had “blatantly abandoned the consensuses that two sides have reached and insisted on fighting a trade war with China.”

Republicans and Democrats on the House Financial Services Committee showed little patience for Mr. Mnuchin’s answers about the lack of progress, repeatedly pressing him about whether there was a strategy to resolve the trade war and expressing concern that it was starting to hurt parts of the economy.

:snippity:

“Is there a master plan?” asked Representative Mia Love, Republican of Utah. “I implore you to work to end this thing soon.”

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:30 am

I suppose if we can go to war as many times as we’ve gone to war since WW2, without congress declaring war, we can impose trade restrictions with our closest allies due to security threats. It’s about time for congress to have more say in regard to trade issues.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Gregg wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:57 pm
Oh no, they didn't say that....we have a major issue here.
Almost all, 95 percent, of the world's bourbon is made in Kentucky.
As a proud native of the Commonwealth, I have to point out that ALL Bourbon is from Kentucky, the thing that makes it Bourbon is the water along a single river and its tributaries originally in Bourbon County, Kentucky. (Other stuff calls itself Bourbon but its not, kind of like Champagne has to be from France...)

Me and Chili Dog just wanted to point that out. :fingerwag:
To bring this back into topic:

It would be much easier to make the case that all Bourbon is from Kentucky if the United States were to join much of the rest of the world in adopting and recognizing Geographic Indicatons (GIs) and Protected Designations of Origin (PDOs). In fact, our refusal to do so was one of the sticking points when we were trying to negotiate the trade deal with Europe not that long ago.

Much of our intransigence in this area is the product of the immense political power of cheese.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Carl von Ossietsky

Post by Carl von Ossietsky » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:28 am

Hit where it hurts.

Canada's Hudson's Bay store drops Ivanka Trump fashion line
Country’s oldest department store says it will be ‘phasing out this brand through the fall based on its performance’

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... shion-line

будем здоровы!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:34 pm

"Make America Great Again" hats that are manufactured in China are expected to increase from around $9 to $20 in price because of President Trump's steep tariffs.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:09 pm

Kendra wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:34 pm
https:// www.facebook.com/TheHill/posts/10156190419649087
"Make America Great Again" hats that are manufactured in China are expected to increase from around $9 to $20 in price because of President Trump's steep tariffs.
The background interview by The Hill in the full article mentions that this double price would apply once they has were fully produced in the US, not cause tariffs apply. There is still a possibility that the vendor produces them cheaply outside China.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:21 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:09 pm
Kendra wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:34 pm
https:// www.facebook.com/TheHill/posts/10156190419649087
The background interview by The Hill in the full article mentions that this double price would apply once they has were fully produced in the US, not cause tariffs apply. There is still a possibility that the vendor produces them cheaply outside China.
Thank you. I was too excited for the headline and too lazy to read the whole thing :oops: :bag:

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:29 pm

Do none of the MAGATS care that this carp is not made in the U.S.?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:46 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:29 pm
Do none of the MAGATS care that this carp is not made in the U.S.?
Unless Faux News reports on this, likely not.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:04 pm

I'm all for the counterfeit hats. They win every way I can think of...

The people who buy them know damn well they're not the "Official" hats, they're ripping off Trump (who believe it or not trademarked the phrase) bu tthey don't care, which exposes their own hypocrisy. They buy them half price and the first thing they do it very carefully remove the "Made in China" labels inside, making sure not to rip it or leave any evidence that they took it out. Never know when the wind is gonna blow it out during a cross burning Trump rally and you could get outed as a Deep State fellow traveler.

Since Trump owns the rights, every one of them sold is one he doesn't make a dime on, and someone is ripping him off. I'm always in favor of that.

Trump can't say a word about it, but I could believe that this is what he means when he whines about China ripping off intellectual property rights. He sure as hell doesn't know the other million or so other things it means. He's trying to protect his trinket business in concessions at the Nazi Trump rallys. If you look at the official campaign site, every time they mention a new rally, every notice sent to the faithful they want to attend, and on the local party website in advance of his appearances, there is a notice that "only merchandise sold INSIDE the venue is the official Trump Campaign Merchandise, gently telling them to wait until they get inside and he gets his cut.

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:29 pm

Gregg wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:04 pm
I'm all for the counterfeit hats. They win every way I can think of...

The people who buy them know damn well they're not the "Official" hats, they're ripping off Trump (who believe it or not trademarked the phrase) bu tthey don't care, which exposes their own hypocrisy. They buy them half price and the first thing they do it very carefully remove the "Made in China" labels inside, making sure not to rip it or leave any evidence that they took it out. Never know when the wind is gonna blow it out during a cross burning Trump rally and you could get outed as a Deep State fellow traveler.

Since Trump owns the rights, every one of them sold is one he doesn't make a dime on, and someone is ripping him off. I'm always in favor of that.

Trump can't say a word about it, but I could believe that this is what he means when he whines about China ripping off intellectual property rights. He sure as hell doesn't know the other million or so other things it means. He's trying to protect his trinket business in concessions at the Nazi Trump rallys. If you look at the official campaign site, every time they mention a new rally, every notice sent to the faithful they want to attend, and on the local party website in advance of his appearances, there is a notice that "only merchandise sold INSIDE the venue is the official Trump Campaign Merchandise, gently telling them to wait until they get inside and he gets his cut.

:yeah: By George, I think he's got it. I hadn't thought about that, but I like it.

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:32 pm

I didn't know there were counterfeits.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:43 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:32 pm
I'm betting more than half of them are. Trumpanzes are as cheap as they are stupid and gullible.
Any possible benefit that their movement gets from people seeing the damn hats is that after we purge the country of the kleptocracy class, they'll never be able to erase the shame of everyone they know remembering that they wore them. Our generation's "Good Germans".

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:45 am

Gregg wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:43 am
pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:32 pm
I'm betting more than half of them are. Trumpanzes are as cheap as they are stupid and gullible.
Any possible benefit that their movement gets from people seeing the damn hats is that after we purge the country of the kleptocracy class, they'll never be able to erase the shame of everyone they know remembering that they wore them. Our generation's "Good Germans".
:yeah:

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:30 am

The New York Times

Verified account

@nytimes
Following Following @nytimes
More
The European Union is trying to move past its frosty ties with the United States. It just signed a free trade deal with Japan, its largest ever.
President Trump is inciting a trade war, undermining NATO and painting Europe as a foe. It’s no wonder, then, that the European Union is looking elsewhere for friends.

On Tuesday in Tokyo, it signed its largest trade deal ever, a pact with Japan that will slash customs duties on products like European wine and cheese, while gradually reducing tariffs on cars. The agreement will cover a quarter of the global economy, and is the latest in a string of efforts either concluded or in the works with countries like Australia, Vietnam and even China.

The deal with Japan — and the others being negotiated — point to a more assertive Europe, one that is looking past the frosty ties with the United States, and even the upcoming withdrawal of Britain from the bloc. In recent months, European Union leaders have voiced ever more confident rhetoric in favor of free trade, refusing to back down in the face of the threat of tariffs from Washington and instead aggressively courting new relationships.
The way things are going the world, except for the USA and UK, will become one large free trade area. The USA and UK will be on the outside looking in. :(

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

jemcanada

Post by jemcanada » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:47 am

The Trump administration has entered a complaint with the WTO against Canada’s retaliatory tariffs because Trump’s tariffs are legal but ours aren’t. :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018 ... riffs.html

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:43 am

From jemcanada's link:
“The actions taken by the president are wholly legitimate and fully justified as a matter of U.S. law and international trade rules. Instead of working with us to address a common problem, some of our trading partners have elected to respond with retaliatory tariffs designed to punish American workers, farmers and companies. These tariffs appear to breach each WTO member’s commitments under the WTO agreement,” U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said in a statement.
Is Lighthizer an idiot or does he just think everybody else is an idiot?

There is no way the US complaint will fly. Even if there were a nugget of truth accidentally nestling inside its crappy nonsense, I can't see any international body bothering to look kindly on any of the craziness coming from the Trump administration.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:08 am

https://www.apnews.com/bb26231767374deb ... ll-tariffs
TOKYO (AP) — The European Union and Japan signed a landmark deal on Tuesday that will eliminate nearly all tariffs on products they trade.

The ambitious pact signed in Tokyo runs counter to President Donald Trump’s moves to hike tariffs on imports from many U.S. trading partners. It covers a third of the global economy and markets of more than 600 million people.

:snippity:

Tusk praised the deal as “the largest bilateral trade deal ever.” He said the partnership is being strengthened in various other areas, including defense, climate change and human exchange, and is “sending a clear message” against protectionism.

The leaders did not mention Trump by name, but they did little to mask what was on their minds — highlighting how Europe and Japan have been pushed closer by Trump’s actions.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:15 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:43 am
From jemcanada's link:
“The actions taken by the president are wholly legitimate and fully justified as a matter of U.S. law and international trade rules. Instead of working with us to address a common problem, some of our trading partners have elected to respond with retaliatory tariffs designed to punish American workers, farmers and companies. These tariffs appear to breach each WTO member’s commitments under the WTO agreement,” U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said in a statement.
Is Lighthizer an idiot or does he just think everybody else is an idiot?

There is no way the US complaint will fly. Even if there were a nugget of truth accidentally nestling inside its crappy nonsense, I can't see any international body bothering to look kindly on any of the craziness coming from the Trump administration.
It won't fly. But the inevitable panel decisions will give them the excuse they're looking for to take us out of the WTO.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:32 am

Trump's policies are going to destroy the economy. I sure don't want to see the US go through yet another brutal economic meltdown, but if it happens, please... please...please...Democrats...get on the same frikken page and drone on and on and on about the history of Republican economic disasters. Over and over and over. Americans simply cannot keep ignoring the fact that every time we have been in economic meltdown it's pretty much been because of Republican policies IF Democrats repeat it over and over again with effective ads that drive this important message home. Continuing to hit Americans in their pocketbook over and over again and continuing to get elected over and over again can only happen because the opposing party is not able to get on the same page and drive that message home.

One of the biggest difficulties I see with Democrats is their diversity makes it difficult for them to get on the same page and drone on and one with a single message. It's a legitimate problem. Unfortunately, one of the best qualities of the party becomes one of it's biggest political weaknesses. Republicons don't have that problem. They are all 100% in the pocket of the wealthy. That's it. That is their one and only agenda. That makes it easy for them to march lock step. And they win with well organized messaging that is coordinated with all the rwnj media. Time for Democrats to get together and make decisions about how to do the same. Effective messaging needs to be something that is addressed by this party if we are ever going to see the majority of Americans represented by the party that the majority of them want.

Sorry...I will get off my soapbox...for now, anyway. :mrgreen: :oops:

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:19 pm

RVInit wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:32 am

One of the biggest difficulties I see with Democrats is their diversity makes it difficult for them to get on the same page and drone on and one with a single message. It's a legitimate problem. Unfortunately, one of the best qualities of the party becomes one of it's biggest political weaknesses. Republicons don't have that problem. They are all 100% in the pocket of the wealthy. That's it. That is their one and only agenda. That makes it easy for them to march lock step.
Herd cats or follow the lemmings off the cliff.

I pick my avatar to the holiday but now can't bear to look at puppy w/his flag. This is more appropriate.
ImageImageImage x4

Return to “Trump Administration”