― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Maybenaut

Re: Trump plan to BUILD THAT WALL!

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:49 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:50 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:07 pm
Trump’s advisers push for emergency declaration — while assuming it’ll be stopped in court
They are treating a state of emergency as a get-out-of-shutdown-free card. That is a terrible mistake.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... nstitution
:snippity:
Question to the yippity law gurus: while I think that an assumed National Emergency of kind would potentially open the purse for a border wall I don't see how at the same time that miracle would make a shutdown disappear. Congress has still to approve the appropriations and send what they want the administration to get for all other causes to be signed by dotus. IMHO only after that signature would the shutdown end. I cannot see that a president gets to set the budget for all agencies all alone. Any answers for an Eurobot?
It wouldn’t end the shutdown. It would result in a lot of costly and protracted lawsuits, and ultimately won’t result in the wall getting built. I think Trump believes* that the Democrats will be so concerned about keeping the President from invoking emergency powers that they’ll cave. I don’t think the Democrats will cave before the Senate Republicans do. At least I hope not. I think Dec 22, 2018 will be remembered as the end of the Trump presidency.

*Or more likely his advisors — I don’t think he’s had an orihinal thought.

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:16 pm

And even if trump says "Well, now I can sign the funding bills, because I have my wall via the emergency," we have to pay to defend the f&*!ng lawsuits on the national emergency issue, simply because trump needed to defend his campaign fantasy and mnemonic.

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:50 pm

I’m thoroughly confused right now. I’ve read in WaPo that it will take 10,000 workers more than two years to build 230 miles of barrier. Now I’m hearing that the Army can do it in 18 months. That’s a yuuuuge difference! Does anyone know which estimate is closer to the truth?

"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:07 am

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:22 am

Sunrise wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:50 pm
I’m thoroughly confused right now. I’ve read in WaPo that it will take 10,000 workers more than two years to build 230 miles of barrier. Now I’m hearing that the Army can do it in 18 months. That’s a yuuuuge difference! Does anyone know which estimate is closer to the truth?
The slave owner calculates that his troops will work 24/7/365. Of course he forgets that only a very minuscule portion of the Army are engineers and able to build stuff with a limited park of machinery. The rest was trained for fighting and shooting, and some logistics support for that task. No logistics to purchase and transport the yuuuge amount of cement, sand, rebar and other steel. Of course no way that the industry has the sought after products in stock waiting for a chance to sell to the government. The industry would need to come up to speed in their production lines. Likely they would have to canibalize orders for the private sector, triggering a shortage there and a rise in prices. How high will the rent be in the next few years? How many more bridges collapse? PS. rather than handing out contracts to builders directly, the Army engineers would have to do the same. The Army may be able to shortcut a bidding and selection process.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:39 am

Not to mention that the first wave of needed employees are going to be lawyers to fight in the courts for eminent domain cases, environmental impact cases and who knows what else, which should eat up the first 5 years or so before they stack on brick.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:55 am

Too bad that with such a massive undertaking as this wall we won't have the usual, practically unlimited, pool of skilled construction workers from Mexico. Does he actually believe there are 10,000 unemployed American construction workers available to hire for this project?

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:29 am

SLQ wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:16 pm
And even if trump says "Well, now I can sign the funding bills, because I have my wall via the emergency," we have to pay to defend the f&*!ng lawsuits on the national emergency issue, simply because trump needed to defend his campaign fantasy and mnemonic.
But ... accepting your scenario, if Trump decides that he can sign the funding bills and claim victory, so he beat the evil Democrats, the emergency becomes an irrelevance. Trump and his minions will understand that the wall can't actually be built before the next election, so there's no need to do more than the current ass-scratching activities with prototypes, anything that gives photo-ops that can be captioned "Shitgibbon at his bigly wall protecting the US from dirty foreigners and Democrats".

So the emergency can be withdrawn quietly and the grown-ups will focus on normal political objectives because pig-wrestling with Trump is totally unproductive (there's a lot of grunting, he enjoys it and you get covered in his shit). The legal cases drop because there's no emergency to raise a grievance about. Congress probably passes some new laws to prevent it happening again.

It's an optimistic thought but it could fit with what the main players need.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:08 am

The cracks are getting more obvious...

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/ ... al-1071707
Nearly every lawmaker who represents a district or state along the U.S.-Mexico border — including two Republicans — either opposes outright or more quietly declines to support President Donald Trump’s $5.7 billion request for a border wall, according to a survey conducted by POLITICO.

That poses an awkward reality for the president as he visits McAllen, Texas, Thursday to receive a briefing on border security. The politicians situated in the heart of a purported immigration crisis don’t agree that spending billions on a border wall — or “steel slats,” as Trump now prefers — will benefit their region.

The dissenters include Texas Rep. Will Hurd, the only Republican House member who represents a border district, and Texas Sen. John Cornyn, who will accompany the president on Thursday. Cornyn dodged questions Wednesday about whether he backs Trump’s $5.7 billion demand.

“I support a solution to the problem,” Cornyn told reporters when asked specifically about the sum. “I think it’s going to be negotiated.”

Cornyn was more blunt Monday talking to Fox News. “Coming from Texas with a 1,200-mile common border with Mexico," he said, "the idea of a wall is somewhat off-putting to a lot of people.” In a separate Fox News interview Tuesday, Cornyn said: "There is no one-size-fits-all prescription for the entire border. It's quite a diverse geography.”

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:45 am

The sales-pitch included this 'show and tell' presentation by border patrol agents during the McAllen round-table discussion

(video is queued to start of BP agent presentation)

What was my take-away from this? Most all the contraband displayed was confiscated at various official ports-of-entry ... which supports the truth that the vast majority of illegal drugs which arrive via land comes through the front door and doesn't support a need for Trump's vanity wall.

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:16 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:55 am
Too bad that with such a massive undertaking as this wall we won't have the usual, practically unlimited, pool of skilled construction workers from Mexico. Does he actually believe there are 10,000 unemployed American construction workers available to hire for this project?
:twisted: all those coal miners that are still waiting for a promised job....

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:28 am

:thumbs: Maybe someone should suggest to Trump that he build the wall out of coal? Good quality coaI could be polished to a shiny black mirrored, really classy.

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:41 am

A clean coal wall

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:16 am

They could make it out of paper towels.

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Charity409

Post by Charity409 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:40 am

Maybe Mexico will pay for the wall to keep our deadly lettuce out.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:51 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:28 am
:thumbs: Maybe someone should suggest to Trump that he build the wall out of coal? Good quality coaI could be polished to a shiny black mirrored, really classy.
You can polish a turd too. I've seen it on Mythbusters. Let's use Trump for a portion of the wall. :dance:

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:15 am

Thread with video clips of a somewhat contentious interview with CNN.
CNN: Congressman, why do you think Trump has authority to declare an emergency?

@RepMoBrooks: Because US code says so

@JohnBerman: But in 15 you signed amicus brief objecting to Obama using executive orders. Why the different standards?

BROOKS: Circumstances are different now!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:38 am

lomikriel

@lomikriel
12m12 minutes ago
More lomikriel Retweeted Donald J. Trump
This IS a crisis: but of migrant families largely turning themselves in, and a broken asylum and immigration court system.
The president has been pushing this false connection between hard drugs, terrorists and a wall for days. Still false on Day 21.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 525102.php …lomikriel added,

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Sarah D. Wire

Verified account

@sarahdwire
3h3 hours ago
More
The Army Corps of Engineers has zeroed in on major California and Puerto Rico water projects as a way to pay for Trump's border wall
CA and PR. Why am I not surprised? :madguy:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:09 pm

Eli Stokols

Verified account

@EliStokols
Follow Follow @EliStokols
More Eli Stokols Retweeted Sarah D. Wire
Some news here: Trump considering plan to divert $2.4 billion from four CA water projects to build his wall...

Via @sarahdwire, those 4 projects are: “raising the height of Folsom Dam on the American River, protecting Lake Isabella in Kern Co. from leaking due to earthquakes, enlarging the Tule River and Lake Success in the Central Valley and building shoreline protections in South SF.”

Curious if @GOPLeader or @DevinNunes have anything to say about this. Some of these projects are in their districts.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:33 pm

Scott Wong

Verified account

@scottwongDC
Following Following @scottwongDC
More
GOP all over the map on shutdown strategy: Freedom Caucus Chair Mark Meadows says no one seriously discussing using disaster aid for wall. Florida Rep. Gus Bilirakus very opposed to that idea. Top R on Judiciary Doug Collins calls using disaster money a real viable option.

11:28 AM - 11 Jan 2019

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:52 pm

The 9th Ward in New Orleans saw how well the ACoE can build a wall.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:53 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:51 am
Sam the Centipede wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:28 am
You can polish a turd too. I've seen it on Mythbusters. Let's use Trump for a portion of the wall. :dance:
The Great Wall of China is primarily just packed earth .

I am disappointed that this opportunity of a lifetime to handle this by MAKING THE PROBLEM LARGER isn't happening.

That is to say, we all know serious immigration problems exist, and, there is a need for seasonal work visas, pathways to citizenship, answers for the DACA people in limbo, and other issues that need to be addressed.

The solutions would not be 100% acceptable to either party (or factions thereof) and having a president (and party) who have painted themselves into a corner is useful, IMHO.

The Mercury Project

Return to “Trump Administration”