Post by Danraft » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:10 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:18 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:59 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:51 pm
An opinion piece published in SciAm

IMHO while the author has a valid point on potential longterm damages, the assumed TrumpWall would not be surviving the time of the China Wall. The Berlin wall and its extensions along the length of common German border lasted also only a few decades and no longterm damage has been observed.
Berlin Wall was not in as diverse, large, or sensitive an area.
Ummm. I'm disappointed in this Scientific American article as it had me excited for a moment. The biodiversity argument is likely valid, and about a year ago I thought, " The Great Wall of China has been there (parts at least) for 2000 years, I bet there would be significant genetic drift and articles about this"

Nope.
Then this article.
Just an opinion piece in a journal.
Rats.

The Mercury Project

Gregg

Re: Trump plan to BUILD THAT WALL!

Post by Gregg » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:04 am

RVInit wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:39 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:01 pm
:roll: :roll: :roll:
The Daily Beast

Verified account

@thedailybeast
Follow Follow @thedailybeast
More
WATCH: Trump argues that we need a border wall to stop migrants just driving right across in their "unbelievable vehicles... stronger, bigger, and faster vehicles than our police have, than ICE has"
Trump is :crazy:
:lol: Not only that, but apparently these unbelievable vehicles mainly only turn left, but sometimes turn right, but mostly left. :mrgreen:
Oh no, the messicans are taking over NASCAR!

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:16 am

Looks like he's on his way to TX to see first hand. Bets that this will turn into a :shit: show?

CNN had on the mayor of I think the town he's visiting today and also a congressional rep from that district. I didn't pick up on any urgency on a need for a wall. Also a sister from the local Catholic charity that works with the immigrants who is supposed to be at today's round table.

He made some comments on the lawn prior to getting on the helicopter, but I had to have the volume down and didn't hear them all.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:30 am

Whoops! Sounds like a 'crisis' to me. :think:

A photo exclusively obtained by NBC News shows the results of the test after military and Border Patrol personnel were instructed to attempt to destroy the barriers with common tools.

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:32 am

If we can electrify the steel slat barrier, then it could work

Hey Dan can you see
That big green tree
With the water runnin' free
and it's waitin' there for you and me!

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:43 am

Foggy wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:32 am
If we can electrify the steel slat barrier, then it could work
I'm so confused about exactly what it is that I'm supposed to want anymore. I thought I was supposed to want no walls and an open border, and now I find out I want a steel slat wall. They have got to get better with the communication or I'll miss the next update, too.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:48 am

It's an alt-reality skill: they always know what you're really thinking and what you really want and what you really believe. They build their mansions on a foundation of their knowledge. And when you mention that they're not even close, they become violent and shout fake news.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:51 am

I think we want a steel slat wall with open borders. Not sure how that works, though. Maybe the OSG can trumpsplain it to us.

ImageImageImage x4

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:15 am

Know who else is really good at knowing what the violent left Democrats really want, Sugar? That little punk Tommy Lahren. She’s a nominal Christian, but the way she talks about us I don’t think god is convinced.

Fox News: If I’m blonde I can’t be wrong.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:57 am

kate520 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:15 am
Know who else is really good at knowing what the violent left Democrats really want, Sugar? That little punk Tommy Lahren. She’s a nominal Christian, but the way she talks about us I don’t think god is convinced.

Fox News: If I’m on Fox News and blonde I can’t be wrong.

“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:26 pm

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:32 pm

So fuckhead "obviously" didn't mean that Mexico would write a check for the wall.

I assume that is fans will take this statement as a way to howl with laughter and derision--at those of us who have been pointing out for 2.5 years that this was nonsense. Boy howdy did we get played. They will be so gleeful at how clever fuckhead has played his hand, and we must be so embarrassed, etc.

Yep. They live in their little self-sustaining masturbatory echo chamber where they play all the parts themselves.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:36 pm

White House lawyers are prepping the legal justification for a national emergency declaration. This has included advising aides to ramp up "crisis" talk. Lawyers suggest the more times they say it, the more often they can point to it in a legal defense filing, per @Kevinliptakcnn

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:47 pm

As Trump visits border, Texas landowners prepare wall fight

https://www.chron.com/news/texas/articl ... 521599.php
The federal government has started surveying land along the border in Texas and announced plans to start construction next month. Rather than surrender their land, some property owners are digging in, vowing to reject buyout offers and preparing to fight the administration in court.

"You could give me a trillion dollars and I wouldn't take it," said Cavazos, whose land sits along the Rio Grande, the river separating the U.S. and Mexico in Texas. "It's not about money."

Trump is scheduled to visit the border Thursday in McAllen, a city of 143,000 on the river.

Congress in March funded 33 miles (53 kilometers) of walls and fencing in Texas. The government has laid out plans that would cut across private land in the Rio Grande Valley. Those in the way include landowners who have lived in the valley for generations, environmental groups and a 19th century chapel.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:46 pm

(and they just touched down at McAllen)
All this energy and money for him to be off the plane for less than 3 hours.
I thought they had video conference capabilities at the WH. :confused:

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:49 pm

Kendra wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:36 pm

White House lawyers are prepping the legal justification for a national emergency declaration. This has included advising aides to ramp up "crisis" talk. Lawyers suggest the more times they say it, the more often they can point to it in a legal defense filing, per @Kevinliptakcnn
That part is true, though it doesn't necessarily mean the judge won't laugh more.

much ado

Post by much ado » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:00 pm

Turtle wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:49 pm
Kendra wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:36 pm

That part is true, though it doesn't necessarily mean the judge won't laugh more.
It does have all the earmarks of a Monty Python defense tactic.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:05 pm

Trump is in McAllen, TX just now.
Jim Acosta

Verified account

@Acosta
Follow Follow @Acosta
More
Jose has lived here in the McAllen TX area his whole life. He also tells me it is very safe here.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:07 pm

neonzx wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:30 am
Whoops! Sounds like a 'crisis' to me. :think:

https:// twitter.com/jacobsoboroff/status/1083349170490986501
A photo exclusively obtained by NBC News shows the results of the test after military and Border Patrol personnel were instructed to attempt to destroy the barriers with common tools.
Use thicker steel and the raw material costs double, use stronger steel alloys and the coasts soar into the skies. Like with ladders, using saws can be replaced by small blow torchs, and if someone wants to go radical at a breach they will come along with a bucket of thermite. While usually used to weld train lines, when the stuff is glowing hot on a steel truss one will be able to bend it. Hooking up an ATV ought to do that job.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:10 pm

LATimes: Trump’s border visit starts in McAllen, Texas. If he looks, here’s what he might see
:snippity: McAllen Mayor Jim Darling hopes Trump visits the [McAllen-Hidalgo International Bridge]. He wrote an open letter to the president with the Texas Border Coalition, a group of elected officials from Brownsville to El Paso, inviting Trump to tour three border bridges.

The coalition asked for more security at the bridges to expedite crossings and protect the economic interests of booming border trade. They made no mention of a wall, but they cited a $4-billion deficit for improvements at all legal ports of entry.

“Our officers and their facilities are stretched thin, face an overwhelming opponent in the international drug cartels, and deserve all the support you may be able to offer,” the officials wrote. “Current facilities cannot handle the traffic flow, causing long wait times and costing the U.S. economy millions of dollars.”

It’s the second time the officials have written to Trump this month. Their first letter was provoked by a tweet he sent Jan. 3 threatening to close the border. They warned the closure would be “catastrophic.”

“The border’s more than just a wall,” Darling said Wednesday. “We’d like to show him that.”

Darling, who as mayor is not affiliated with any party, said he hopes to meet the president when he’s in town, noting that Presidents Clinton and George W. Bush both stopped in McAllen.

Darling’s primary message: “Quit calling it a crisis.”

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:16 pm

Too funny. Old Western evil grifter named Trump running back con about a wall.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:36 pm

Scott Wong

Verified account

@scottwongDC
2h2 hours ago
More
Trump: 'Surprising' if I don't declare national emergency for border wall
Trump is working himself up. :eek2:

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:28 pm

Kendra wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:16 pm

Too funny. Old Western evil grifter named Trump running back con about a wall.
According to Snopes, that's real.
Snopes wrote:The television series Trackdown really did produce an episode featuring a “Trump” character who came to town claiming that only he could prevent the end of the world by building a wall (and also sold special force propelling umbrellas to deflect meteorites). The episode (S1, E30) aired on CBS in 1958 and was titled “The End of the World,” featuring actor Lawrence Dobkin playing the role of “Walter Trump.” A synopsis of the episode from the Classic TV Archive reads as follows:

Walter Trump, a confidence man, puts on a long robe and holds a tent meeting in the town of Talpa. He tells the townspeople that a cosmic explosion will rain fire on the town and that he is the only one that can save them from death. Ranger Hoby Gilman attempts to prove Trump is a fraud.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/track ... cter-wall/

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:34 pm

What I wouldn't give to hear the final words for real! :daydream:

Robert Culp?

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:36 pm

Maybe I have it backwards, but I see it this way: The more trump talks about a national emergency, it's because he's realizing he's not getting his wall money from the House. He's trying to normalize the idea.

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “Trump Administration”