Trump plan to BUILD THAT WALL!

Dolly

Re: Trump plan to BUILD THAT WALL!

Post by Dolly » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:02 pm

Smuggling tunnel found in San Diego, 30 people detained

U.S. Border Patrol agents at San Diego Sector, discovered a cross-border smuggling tunnel early Saturday morning after they arrested 30 people who were in the country illegally near the Otay Mesa port of entry.

At around 1:12 a.m., Border Patrol agents encountered several people who had apparently just been smuggled into the U.S. Agents searched the area and discovered a crude opening in the ground with a ladder inside and determined that is was a smuggling tunnel. The tunnel's exit is located just north of the secondary fence in the vicinity of the Otay Mesa port of entry.

The 30 undocummented group of people are now in Border Patrol custody pending further questioning. There were a total of 23 Chinese nationals, 21 men, two woman, and seven Mexican nationals, 4 men and three women.

Members of the San Diego Tunnel Task Force, led by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), are currently on scene investigating.

The probe into the newly discovered tunnel is ongoing and members of the San Diego Tunnel Task Force are coordinating closely with their law enforcement counterparts in Mexico on the investigation. Preliminarily it appears this latest tunnel may be an extension of an incomplete tunnel previously discovered and seized by Mexican authorities.
<that is all at the link>
http://www.cbs8.com/story/36226856/smug ... e-detained

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:59 am

Brookings Institution: The Wall: The real costs of a barrier between the United States and Mexico ...

¡Qué vergüenza!

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:04 am

:brickwallsmall: :shh: :silenced: ;)

This debate is going to be interesting so <watch this space>. Texas is a border state so this is personal for me. For humanitarian reasons, I want to prevent human smuggling across our border. I don't know if a physical wall helps with that. I also want to control the flow of hard drugs and weapons across the border (the latter is a two-way street). From a national security standpoint, it's also imperative that we defend our southern border. I don't want Texas to be ground zero for some hypothetical foreign invasion.

At the same time, I don't want any border solution that reeks of racism or inhospitality. That's just not American.

So, I'm intrigued. It's hard to see how a wall could be built for just $12 billion. Maybe some strategic fencing to squeeze bad guys through more easily monitored channels - maybe something more like surveillance drones or biometric passports (I read an article awhile back suggesting that those would be more effective digital solutions).

Brick-and-mortar is the wrong solution in any event. We're in the 21st century and we need to think in terms of 21st century solutions. Humans were building walls thousands of years ago, and yet cities and nations still fell. A wall is a moderate deterrence and obstacle but it still has to be manned and defended.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:11 am

COMPANIES TO BUILD BORDER WALL PROTOTYPES

BY ABC News Radio | September 1, 2017
Home › News › ABC News › Business News

(WASHINGTON) — Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced Thursday that four vendors have been selected to design and build prototypes for the proposed U.S.-Mexico border wall, which remains a top priority of the Trump administration.

The four companies awarded contracts are: Caddell Construction Co., Fisher Sand & Gravel Co., Texas Sterling Construction Co. and W. G. Yates & Sons Construction Company.

Each of the selected companies has been tasked with building one wall prototype made of “reinforced concrete” along the border in San Diego. Next week, CBP will decide on up to four additional vendors that will be selected to build wall prototypes made of non-concrete materials.
The prototypes will be designed to be 30 feet long and up to 30 feet high, and will be in close proximity to each other. Testing will examine aesthetics, as well as the breaching and scaling potential.

Once the prototypes are built, there will be a 30 to 60 days evaluation period.
http://kneb.com/abc_business/trump-admi ... d35963086/

also https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/31/us/m ... trump.html

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:55 pm

Dolly wrote:
Smuggling tunnel found in San Diego, 30 people detained

The 30 undocummented group of people are now in Border Patrol custody pending further questioning. There were a total of 23 Chinese nationals, 21 men, two woman, and seven Mexican nationals, 4 men and three women.

Members of the San Diego Tunnel Task Force, led by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), are currently on scene investigating.
<that is all at the link>
http://www.cbs8.com/story/36226856/smug ... e-detained
Maybe China could help pay for the wall! :mrgreen:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:23 pm

WHAT A WASTE OF MY MONEY! Even studying the feasibility of a wall wastes valuable tax dollars. This is even stupider than Reagan's Star Wars, which cost more than $200 billion and still doesn't work, 30 years on.

I don't even want a symbolic wall.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:44 pm

If the Dems are estimating the wall would cost $70B, my money is on the wall costing $210B.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:46 pm

gupwalla wrote: :snippity:
At the same time, I don't want any border solution that reeks of racism or inhospitality. That's just not American. :snippity:
Racism is not American? You haven't been paying attention for the past two centuries (and more), have you?

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:49 pm

kate520 wrote:WHAT A WASTE OF MY MONEY! Even studying the feasibility of a wall wastes valuable tax dollars. This is even stupider than Reagan's Star Wars, which cost more than $200 billion and still doesn't work, 30 years on.

I don't even want a symbolic wall.
:yeah: What's even more disgusting is that apparently this was something Bannon came up with for the purpose of keeping Trump on message during his rallies. It's mind boggling that some offhand remark would morph into actual policy. It's one thing when an idiotic idea makes it past the stage of preliminary discussions, but this didn't even come from any kind of discussion of how to solve an actual problem. Just something pulled right out of Bannon's ass. :swoon:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:50 pm

August 19, 2017
In new tactic, smugglers use drone to fly meth over Mexican border into San Diego, officials say

The buzz of a motor overhead at nearly 11:30 p.m. was the tip-off.

A remote-controlled drone flew over the border fence from Mexico, heading for San Ysidro, while a Border Patrol agent listened and watched. He radioed ahead to other agents to be on the lookout for the small aircraft.

Ten minutes later, federal authorities had busted what they say is their first confirmed case of drug smuggling by drone in San Diego County.

Late on the night of Aug. 8, agents arrested a man carrying a bag full of methamphetamine — more than 13 pounds valued at an estimated $46,000. They found the drone stashed under a bush near Servando Avenue and Valentino Street, authorities said Friday.
After his arrest in San Ysidro last week, Jose Edwin Rivera, 25, told investigators he had smuggled drugs by drone into the U.S. from Mexico five or six times since March, according to a criminal complaint filed in San Diego federal court on Aug. 9. He said he usually turned the drugs over to a man at a San Ysidro gas station, pocketing $1,000 on delivery.

The complaint said Rivera told a Border Patrol agent and a Homeland Security agent that he would normally communicate with contacts in Mexico for instructions after retrieving the drone and drugs. He said he expected to do so on Aug. 8, but was interrupted by his arrest.
While the drone smuggling arrest is a first in San Diego County, a 2015 case in Imperial County was the first in the Southwest region involving an unmanned aerial vehicle. Two men pleaded guilty to flying 30 pounds of marijuana over the border to Calexico.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:51 pm

I nonchalantly await for ideas on how they plan on building the wall in the middle of the river.

I know many interesting things about pigs.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:12 pm

ZekeB wrote:I nonchalantly await for ideas on how they plan on building the wall in the middle of the river.
That wall is insane and would be devastating to wildlife. It has to be fought and fought hard.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:28 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
ZekeB wrote:I nonchalantly await for ideas on how they plan on building the wall in the middle of the river.
That wall is insane and would be devastating to wildlife. It has to be fought and fought hard.
:yeah: Most people don't realize the problems walls pose to wildlife. Here are a few resources readily available to those who don't have access to professional journals.

http://www.defendersblog.org/2017/03/cl ... -wildlife/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... al-damage/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... co-border/

https://www.livescience.com/57659-trump ... dlife.html

http://science.howstuffworks.com/enviro ... ldlife.htm
We know this because researchers have been studying the effects of the 650 miles (1,046 kilometers) of "security infrastructure" that already exists on the border of Mexico and the U.S., the environmental regulations for which were waived by the Department of Homeland Security. A 2011 study by researchers at the University of Texas in Austin shows that parts of these barriers have cut off some reptiles, amphibians and mammals from up to 75 percent of their native ranges. The study concludes that new barriers would put even more species at risk.
So, why is it so important that ecosystems remain intact and connected?

"In order for a species to survive, populations need to be able to interbreed with one another," says Dr. Jenny McGuire, a research scientist who studies ecosystem connectivity at the Georgia Tech School of Biological Sciences. "Desert species in particular move around as part of their normal life cycle, migrating to follow their food and water sources. Pronghorn antelope, whose populations are already at risk in Texas, tend to track food and water across the landscape as the seasons change, as do bighorn sheep."

A wall like the one Trump's has proposed would very likely isolate populations of all sorts of animals. Small populations are more likely to go extinct without access to varied genetic material from individuals of other populations coming and going. This would lead to a loss of overall species variation, which begins the downward spiral into the extinction of an entire species.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKvAKROiwk4

5 months ago Stephen Colbert talked with some experts on what it will cost to make the wall. It came to about a trillion or so, counting labour, costs making the thing pretty... $400 billion in concrete alone. And another trillion for building a road behind it.

Probably 4800 people will die building the thing...

And only about 54 million rolls of wallpaper to make it pretty (both sides of course).

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Suranis wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKvAKROiwk4

5 months ago Stephen Colbert talked with some experts on what it will cost to make the wall. It came to about a trillion or so, counting labour, costs making the thing pretty... $400 billion in concrete alone. And another trillion for building a road behind it.

Probably 4800 people will die building the thing...

And only about 54 million rolls of wallpaperto make it pretty (both sides of course).
Just snooping around, didn't find any US manufacturing numbers, but stumbled over this Chinese producer claiming to be among the larger ones, also exporting to the USA too. Their factory has a production capacity of 5mio rolls, so the decorators will be using ten years output capacity. Or that of ten factories. Does the Trump organization already have the market cornered? http://www.lancawall.com/lanca/item_13955892_0.html

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:06 pm

From Red State:

Fox News Puts The Spin To Trump’s Wall Flip
Former Utah Representative Jason Chaffetz was trotted out, like the guy with the shovel that follows the elephants around the circus grounds, to try and scoop up all steaming hot takes being dropped across social media today.

The president doesn’t need Congressional authority to build the wall, it’s already there,” said Chaffetz “He needs funding so it’s solely in the camp of the United States Congress to fund what the president promised he would do. He’ll build it but Congress has to step up and actually fund it.”
:snippity:
In with the assist was Fox & Friends’ Steve Doocy.

“Congressman, has the wall almost become symbolic?” he asked. “I know the president ran on it. It was a mantra. But at the same time, border crossings have gone down dramatically and you were talking about how the wall exists in certain forms and there’s money to go to it, has to come from Congress, but do you think we’re going to get to the point where maybe they won’t build the wall.

Come back from the ledge, faithful true Trump believers. The wall Trump spoke of is symbolic.

Who needs actual, physical barriers on the border? Trump was appealing to the big, beautiful wall in your hearts.
https://www.redstate.com/sweetie15/2017 ... wall-flip/

:lol:

Am I being detained?

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:41 pm

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
NotaPerson wrote:From Red State:

Who needs actual, physical barriers on the border? Trump was appealing to the big, beautiful wall in your hearts.

¡Qué vergüenza!

vic

Post by vic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:57 pm

Addie wrote::rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
NotaPerson wrote:From Red State:

The wall is going to be built from black lumps of coal?
► Show Spoiler

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:44 pm

How did we miss The Great Fake News about The Great Trump Tower Wall (or at least its prototypes
Border Wall Prototypes Shown Off In San Diego
October 12, 2017 11:46 PM

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — We’re getting our first look at five of the eight prototype designs for President Trump’s proposed border wall.

Construction crews in San Diego broke ground two weeks ago on the prototypes.

Crews are half way into the 30 days they have to build their prototype, for what will eventually be a 2,000-mile long wall along our Southern Mexico border promised by President Trump.
Video clip in the article http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/10/ ... shown-off/

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:25 pm

If there is any reality to the kind of wall that could and should be built (and funded!) by Congress, it will be the sort of wall that would receive Jimmy Carter's support. (How about them apples?)

Cryptic? Yes. Truthful? I don't know. I surmise it is, but I haven't trusted my brain for at least a year now and you'd be a fool to trust it either.

But I do wish we had the kind of border wall that Jimmy Carter would support and help build. It's needed now more than ever.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

vic

Post by vic » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:58 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:44 pm
How did we miss The Great Fake News about The Great Trump Tower Wall (or at least its prototypes
Border Wall Prototypes Shown Off In San Diego
October 12, 2017 11:46 PM

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — We’re getting our first look at five of the eight prototype designs for President Trump’s proposed border wall.

Construction crews in San Diego broke ground two weeks ago on the prototypes.

Crews are half way into the 30 days they have to build their prototype, for what will eventually be a 2,000-mile long wall along our Southern Mexico border promised by President Trump.
Video clip in the article http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/10/ ... shown-off/
Miss it? I remember reading about six weeks ago in this thread upthread that they were starting on the prototypes. Posted by someone named RTH10260. http://thefogbow.com/forum/posting.php? ... 3#pr912440 :-D
Edit: And it has been in the local news, but nothing noteworthy, just what you'd expect. Like the San Diego Police and County Sheriff's Departments having to create free speech zones for protesters, and Homeland Security having to provide heavy security to protect the prototypes from protests.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:00 pm

gupwalla wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:25 pm
If there is any reality to the kind of wall that could and should be built (and funded!) by Congress, it will be the sort of wall that would receive Jimmy Carter's support. (How about them apples?)

Cryptic? Yes. Truthful? I don't know. I surmise it is, but I haven't trusted my brain for at least a year now and you'd be a fool to trust it either.

But I do wish we had the kind of border wall that Jimmy Carter would support and help build. It's needed now more than ever.
IMHO from far away Congress will allocate some funds to buid replacements of the oldest part of the existing wall. I undertand that the old sections can easily by tackled by immigrants and it will be make Teh Donald proud when the statistics show his new The Wall really works. After that maybe some extensions on property the US alread owns. And after that it is silently forgotten. And Teh Donald may have more important issues to take care of.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:08 pm

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:28 pm

He just keeps going lower.

Avatar: Toni Holt Kramer, founder of a Trump fan club called The Trumpettes, taken New Years Eve at Mar-A-Lago.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:08 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:28 pm
He just keeps going lower.

Disaster for wildlife, including ocelots. Must be fought and fought hard, this tribute to one small man's narcissism.

Return to “Trump Administration”