Trump plan to BUILD THAT WALL!

Foggy

Re: Trump plan to BUILD THAT WALL!

Post by Foggy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:12 am

I'm putting up a wall, but don't take offense.
► Show Spoiler

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:28 am

I'm still stuck on how they think someone can breech the wall with a car jack. Is there some other meaning to car jack than that thing you jack your car up with to change a tire?

tek

Post by tek » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:36 am

I don't unnastan...

Meals on Wheels is not an effective program, yet we're gonna build a huge wall?

We must be in oppositeland..

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:47 am

Foggy wrote:I'm putting up a wall, but don't take offense.
► Show Spoiler

I'll get over it.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:04 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:I'm still stuck on how they think someone can breech the wall with a car jack. Is there some other meaning to car jack than that thing you jack your car up with to change a tire?
I think the issue is if you build something like this, but in concrete

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:19 am

much ado wrote:I think they are going to need manned watch towers with gun turrets every few hundred yards.
That would negate the necessity for an actual wall, and pretty much prove the wall is useless after all.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:24 am

But with that a tiny handed dictator wont be able to strut around issuing orders, and pointing his tiny fingers at this, and that. Because that's one of Donald's fantasies.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:21 pm

Financial Times
Mexico calls on its builders to boycott Trump’s wall

Mexico has called on its national companies to “examine their conscience” and refuse to tender bids to build Donald Trump’s wall as the US gave bidders a week and a half to submit applications to construct a barrier with an “aesthetically pleasing” US side.

Some 700 companies have registered interest for tenders for the 30-foot high structure covering the 3,200km border between the US and Mexico, which would need to prevent would-be immigrants from scaling the top or digging beneath it.

In keeping with Mr Trump’s America First strategy, the tender outlined a “Buy American” preference for construction materials.

Luis Videgaray, Mexico’s foreign minister, urged Mexican companies to think again before bidding and put their country first. Mexico has already ruled out paying for the wall, despite Mr Trump’s demands.

“It is pertinent for any companies that see an economic opportunity in this to examine their conscience because we’re not talking about economics here, but a profoundly unfriendly act between two nations and we think this is a responsibility that falls to us all,” Mr Videgaray said.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:43 pm

In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:55 am

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:00 am

Just a question: do the Democrats happen to have connections to a builder whith the qualifications to submit a bid for the wall? Does not have to be very serious of course. I was thinking of a Republican CEO who dislikes Teh Donald and has voiced this in public. The when his bid gets denined, take this to the courts. Reason: the administration has sidelined his offer due to political dislike of the scrotus, there are sufficient reports in Washington on how appointees are expected to be holding the Red Booklet Hat of Dear Leader. A bit derailing on the timeline would not matter, although I bet that Congress is in a much better position to do that.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:21 pm

They also dropped from consideration any business too small to come up with a decent bribe or an infrastructure inclined to more graft then usual than for a construction business.

It also sounds like Mexico will hang up like a pinata :torches: any Mexican company that participates. :happyfamily:

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:20 pm

Border wall funding likely to be put on hold
BY ALEXANDER BOLTON - 03/28/17 02:40 PM EDT

President Trump's funding request for a border wall will likely be put on hold, Senate Republican leaders signaled Tuesday.

Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), a senior member of the Appropriations Committee, announced at a leadership press conference that Trump's supplemental funding request will wait until later in the year.

He said the Senate and House leadership are very close to negotiating a bill to fund government for the rest of 2017.

Adding a supplemental spending bill requested by Trump to pay for military activities and a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border would complicate the talks and should be dealt with at a later date, Blunt added.

"We have the FY17 defense bill," Blunt said, noting it is the top priority of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and could be used as a vehicle to pass bills funding other federal departments.

"All of the committees, House and Senate leaderships, are working together to try to finalize the rest of the FY17 bill," he added. "My guess is that comes together better without the supplemental."

Blunt said the supplemental could be dealt with “at a later time.”
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/32616 ... ut-on-hold

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:22 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Border wall funding likely to be put on hold
BY ALEXANDER BOLTON - 03/28/17 02:40 PM EDT

President Trump's funding request for a border wall will likely be put on hold, Senate Republican leaders signaled Tuesday.
:snippity:
Really no need for any billions of $$$ yet when planning still has to be done and final offers for construction needs to go out. But I hope that the Democrats use their chance to show off Trump as incapable leader in the WH.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:02 pm

Architect: Solar-Wind powered border wall would 'pay for itself'

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/arti ... o-12582512
His plan: A 1,000 mile long border wall equipped with solar panels and wind turbines that will generate more than $1.2 billion per year in electricity. With an estimated $30 billion cost, the wall – pitched as "the largest green project of its kind in the world" – would be paid for in 30 years.

The solar and wind powered wall is the brainchild of Vijay Duggal, a New York architect who has sent the proposal to the White House and members of Congress, including Texas U.S. Rep. Kevin Brady of The Woodlands.

"The border wall project offers a great opportunity not only to resolve border security issues, but also energy and environmental challenges of today," Duggal wrote in a letter to lawmakers. "It would also provide an opportunity for infrastructure investment spurring job growth."

The architect envisions the wall being built by the private sector who would profit from the sale of electricity. Not going to happen. In the private sector a capital project that takes 30 years to recover its costs is not considered profitable.

His proposal-

http://www.border-wall.us/proposal.pdf

He says this will not cost taxpayers anything but then calls for "governmental loan guarantees, subsidies, grants and tax incentives" which of course taxpayers would have to pay for. :roll:

On the plus side this project would hasten the demise of the American coal industry. ;)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:35 pm

One problem I see is that with solar you want the panels to be facing generally Southwards. Thus, in the rendering above, you have provided a lovely scalable ramp for those wanting to head North of the border. Why, them good ol' boys could do a Dukes of Hazard jump with the Generalissimo Lee and shoot right over the heads of Boss Trump fer a clean getaway.

Image Image Image Image Image

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:43 pm

Estiveo wrote:One problem I see is that with solar you want the panels to be facing generally Southwards. Thus, in the rendering above, you have provided a lovely scalable ramp for those wanting to head North of the border. Why, them good ol' boys could do a Dukes of Hazard jump with the Generalissimo Lee and shoot right over the heads of Boss Trump fer a clean getaway.
So raise the solar panels by several feet and you havd a nice shaded area, a sort of cloister where taco trucks and beer trucks can park up to provide their service to hungry and thirsty folk who plan to cross the border (by fair means or foul) and the wall operators can collect rent on the pitches. A few comedy Mexicans in ponchos and big sombreros taking a siesta would add atmosphere.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:51 pm

Companies Consider Bidding To Build Potential Border Wall
March 30, 2017 12:01 AM By Macy Jenkins

AVERY (CBS 13) – The Department of Homeland Security has extended the deadline for companies looking to help design President Donald Trump’s wall on the Mexican border. More than 600 companies have put in bids, including a handful in Northern California.
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/03/ ... rder-wall/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr2QhcS7IF4

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:18 pm

Zinke: Border wall 'complex,' faces geographic challenges
WASHINGTON (AP) — Geographic and physical challenges — including the Rio Grande and threatened wildlife — will make it difficult to build the "big, beautiful wall" that President Donald Trump has promised on the U.S.-Mexico border, Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke said Wednesday.

Building a wall "is complex in some areas," including Big Bend National Park and along the river, which twists through nearly half of the 2,000-mile border, Zinke said.

Hundreds of species live within 30 miles of the border, including threatened jaguars and Mexican gray wolves. The Trump administration is poised to relax protections for the jaguars, which live in northern Mexico and parts of the southwestern United States, to make it easier to build the wall.
And in Texas, almost all of the land along the border is privately owned. When Bush tried to build border fencing starting in 2006, he faced stiff opposition from local ranchers and farmers, many of whom took the government to court on plans to use their land.

The Department of Homeland Security is responsible for the border wall, but Zinke said the Interior Department will play a critical support role. According to the Government Accountability Office, federal and tribal lands make up about 632 miles (1,017 kilometers), or roughly 1/3 of the nearly 2,000-mile (3,218-kilometers) border.
"The border is complicated, as far as building a physical wall," Zinke said in remarks first reported by E&E News."The Rio Grande, what side of the river are you going to put the wall? We're not going to put it on our side and cede the river to Mexico. And we're probably not going to put it in the middle of the river."
Electronic monitors may be more appropriate in that region, Zinke said, while areas with imposing natural features may not require additional reinforcements.

The border is already dotted with underground sensors and camera towers, along with about 700 miles of fencing in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California, and it's unclear how much new fencing the Trump administration is proposing. <SNIP>
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/zinke-bor ... itics.html

Tourists kayak through Santa Elena Canyon on the Rio Grande river, along a cliff face that is Mexico, left, at Big Bend National Park in Texas, Monday, March 27, 2017. Here the Rio Grande slides between two sheer cliff faces, one in Mexico and one in the United States, that tower 1,500 feet above

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:20 am

The current majority in Congress will be only too happy to relax any regulations involving other species, endangered or otherwise. I am so disgusted by the anti-science, anti-reality sentiment that has taken hold

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:39 am

I hear an echo in here, Dolly. ;)

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:44 pm

This article essentially reports that the current "border wall" or fnece/barriers is already doing a fine job, with deficiencies to be corrected and enhancements put in place. The way I read this article means that there is absolute no need for an additional Trump Wall.
Border wall 'critical' for reducing crime, former agents testify
By Brooke Singman Published April 04, 2017 FoxNews.com

Border enforcement veterans told lawmakers Tuesday that fencing along the U.S.-Mexico border has been "absolutely critical" in reducing violence, drug-smuggling and illegal entry -- in testimony boosting President Trump's call for a Texas-to-California wall.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04 ... stify.html

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:53 pm

http://reverbpress.com/news/trump-voter ... ico-video/
Trump Voter Get Lesson In Irony

Trump voter Pat Bell of River Bend, Texas, discovered that the wall her president promised may shove her out of Texas and leave her fenced in on the Mexican side of the border....

And although Pat Bell admits she voted for Trump, she says she never supported his wall. She plans to get a lawyer and fight to stay in the United States. "Absolutely I would go to the people who are in charge and, you hate to say I would get a lawyer, but if it comes to that issue, you would,” Bell said....
Hey, lady, lawyers and their kids need to eat too. Besides, if you can vote for Trump your stepping up on the gene pool ladder by hiring a lawyer. Here's a name for you- L-A-R-R.....

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:57 pm

Trump’s border wall design bids due today – and you can expect some doozies!

PUBLISHED: April 4, 2017 at 1:56 pm | UPDATED: April 4, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Get ready for some really wacky wall ideas.

With as many as 400 companies expected to meet today’s deadline and turn in their proposals to build President Trump’s border wall, some of the ideas already floated are off the charts:
Better read the list in the artilce, exeeds 4para rule !
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/04/t ... e-doozies/

re security of builders, this was included in the list
  • In response to security concerns raised by some bidders, officials said the Border Patrol would respond as needed in the event of a hostile attack on construction workers but added that the firms themselves would have to provide their own on-site security.
  • The winning bidders must submit a security plan with details including “fallback positions, evacuation routines and methods, muster area, medical staff members/availability, number of security personnel, qualifications, years of experience, etc. in the event of a hostile attack,” according to the solicitation. A chain-link fence with barbed wire around the construction site is required.
  • Bidders must have done border security or similar projects worth $25 million in the past five years to qualify.
I guess these specs make a really nice high pricing that Teh Donald will have to get down using his Art Of Teh Deal.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:22 pm

. A chain-link fence with barbed wire around the construction site is required.
Why not just put up the chain link fence and call it a day?

Seriously, though. Do they have any idea just how ridiculous this requirement is? It's a moving construction site.

Return to “Trump Administration”