Trump plan to BUILD THAT WALL!

ZekeB

Re: Trump plan to BUILD THAT WALL!

Post by ZekeB » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:34 am

Wall must be gold plated, at least on the Mexican side. I don't see that in the specs.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:12 am

ZekeB wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:34 am
Wall must be gold plated, at least on the Mexican side. I don't see that in the specs.
No, not real gold plate, fake shiny crap like everything Trump loves.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:45 am

Perfect opportunity for graffiti artists and muralists. :thumbs:

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:55 pm

Avatar: Toni Holt Kramer, founder of a Trump fan club called The Trumpettes, taken New Years Eve at Mar-A-Lago.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:23 am

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:49 am

I pray every day that rotten thing is never built. Devastating for wildlife.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:42 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:49 am
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:09 am

RVInit wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:42 am
pipistrelle wrote:
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
:like: :like: :like: I don't pray but I visualize an open border. Working on that critical mass thing.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:52 am

pipistrelle wrote:
My outsiders guess is that not much will ever get built. First the evaluation needs to take place, my estimate until April 2018. Then the location of a first phase of building must be chosen, somewhat on a smaller experimental scale, likely one of those oldest existing walls sections. Make it mid-2018. Next quotations need to be asked for and contracts prepared and signed. Make it 4th quarter of 2018. then Congress needs to allocate the funds in the 2019 budget. So 2019 fill be the first building of the replacment with unhappy neighbour now having to live next to this monstrosity. Border Patrol will surely want to make their first experiences with problems around this new type of border. Guess that makes it into 2020 before further sections get planned and 2021 for more building. It all depends on a future administration but imho the project will then die a silent death on the large scale, with only replacements of the oldest stuff done over years.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:59 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:52 am
pipistrelle wrote:
My outsiders guess is that not much will ever get built. First the evaluation needs to take place, my estimate until April 2018. Then the location of a first phase of building must be chosen, somewhat on a smaller experimental scale, likely one of those oldest existing walls sections. Make it mid-2018. Next quotations need to be asked for and contracts prepared and signed. Make it 4th quarter of 2018. then Congress needs to allocate the funds in the 2019 budget. So 2019 fill be the first building of the replacment with unhappy neighbour now having to live next to this monstrosity. Border Patrol will surely want to make their first experiences with problems around this new type of border. Guess that makes it into 2020 before further sections get planned and 2021 for more building. It all depends on a future administration but imho the project will then die a silent death on the large scale, with only replacements of the oldest stuff done over years.
I hope you are right. To the extent that regulations are a determining factor, those can be changed. We've already seen this President delights in the idea of overturning regulation, and he certainly has chosen the right people to help him completely decimate any environmental protections.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:27 pm

Trump: I will use NAFTA negotiations to make Mexico pay for the wall

Washington (CNN) — President Donald Trump signaled Thursday that he is willing, if necessary, to use the NAFTA negotiations to make good on his promise for that Mexico will pay for a border wall.

The statement comes as his administration is in the midst of seeking federal funding for his long-promised border wall and also renegotiating the US' trade deal with Canada and Mexico.

"They can pay for it indirectly through NAFTA," Trump said Thursday in an interview with The Wall Street Journal.
"We make a good deal on NAFTA, and, say, 'I'm going to take a small percentage of that money and it's going toward the wall.' Guess what? Mexico's paying."

Trump's comments came hours after he was updated by his administration's top economic and trade advisers on the progress of those negotiations and the administration's trade actions more broadly.
But Trump has also previously suggested that he would seek indirect payment from Mexico to fund the wall. His latest assertion suggested he would direct a surplus in revenue from improved trade with Mexico toward paying for the wall -- though he did not lay out a mechanism for doing so.

Trump warned Thursday that if Mexico did not agree to new terms on the free trade deal, known formally as the North American Free Trade Agreement, then he would simply "terminate" the deal. <snip>
http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/11/polit ... 21PMVODtop

The Free Republic thread for this article:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3621760/posts

There are only 33 comments at this point.

Take a small percentage of what money? The U.S. doesn’t trade with Mexico, U.S. companies do. Any benefits from the NAFTA renegotiation will be seen in more business and better profits for U.S. companies due to trade with Mexican companies. Is he saying that he will place a tariff on Mexican imports and use that to pay for the wall?
5 posted on 1/12/2018, 3:35:14 AM by DoodleDawg
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-new ... s?page=5#5

I have come to believe that the wall must be build on the Mexican side of the border. We need to conquer a strip a mile or so deep on their side of the border. That annexed territory will be under military control and can be secured by the US Army not fettered by the posse comitatus laws
32 posted on 1/12/2018, 10:01:20 AM by Thibodeaux (2018 is looking good)
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-new ... page=32#32

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:34 pm

January 9 2018
‘We Can Build The Wall in One Year:’ Trump Tells DHS Never to ‘Mention 7 Years Again’

During a meeting at the White House on immigration, President Trump told Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen never to “mention seven years again” in reference to the timeframe that DHS claimed it would take to construct a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

“I can build it for less,” Trump said in regard to the recent DHS report which stated that it would cost them $18 billion to build the border wall.

“I must tell you, I’m looking at these prices and somebody said $42 billion,” Trump said. “This is like the aircraft carrier. It started off at a billion and a half and its now at $18 billion. No, we can do it for less.”

The DHS report, released by Nielsen, also noted that it would take 7 to 10 years for the border wall along the southern border to be constructed and finished, an estimate that Trump said he never wanted to hear mentioned again.

“We can do a great job. We can do a great wall, but you need the wall and I’m now getting involved. I like to build under budget, okay. I like to go under budget, ahead of schedule.” <SNIP>
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... timeframe/

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3621106/posts

IF Trump calls for VOLUNTEERS to ssist in construction, it will be built very quickly.

I contend that IF you provide volunteers with places to park their RV’s & trailers, they will show up in numbers that will astound. Volunteers to feed them-—Feds provide the groceries. Shower trailers & laundry trailers. There are plenty of inventive ways this wall could be built very quickly....Give every VOLUNTEER a medal for their work.

As for cost?

Apple says it has $252 BILLION offshore. They have said they will partake in Trump’s ONE TIME offer to bring that $$$$ back to the USA with a 15.5% tax. That rate of tax on $252 BILLION is $39,060,000,000. OVER $39 BILLION. That is far more than estimates to build the wall.

Other companies are also participating in that one time tax offer.

WE DO HAVE THE $$$$$$$$.
13 posted on 1/10/2018, 5:29:04 AM by ridesthemiles
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-new ... page=13#13

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

pdt97801

Post by pdt97801 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:53 pm

Of course he can build it under budget. All it takes is stiffing the contractors.

tek

Post by tek » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:33 pm

oh yeah.. building it with volunteers of unknown ability is gonna work out really well.

This is not like building a deck on the back of Daryl's house. And even then, volunteers are usually best kept occupied with non-construction activities.. (been there, done that..)

listen to the tide slowly turning

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:38 pm

tek wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:33 pm
oh yeah.. building it with volunteers of unknown ability is gonna work out really well.

This is not like building a deck on the back of Daryl's house. And even then, volunteers are usually best kept occupied with non-construction activities.. (been there, done that..)
The volunteers they would get would pretty much be grifting poots. I think someone should commend that idea on the Freep site. It's brilliant.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:01 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
People too. There is an Arizona tribe that lives on both sides of the border.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:03 pm

Dolly wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:34 pm
:snippity:

IF Trump calls for VOLUNTEERS to ssist in construction, it will be built very quickly.

I contend that IF you provide volunteers with places to park their RV’s & trailers, they will show up in numbers that will astound. Volunteers to feed them-—Feds provide the groceries. Shower trailers & laundry trailers. There are plenty of inventive ways this wall could be built very quickly....Give every VOLUNTEER a medal for their work.

As for cost?

Apple says it has $252 BILLION offshore. They have said they will partake in Trump’s ONE TIME offer to bring that $$$$ back to the USA with a 15.5% tax. That rate of tax on $252 BILLION is $39,060,000,000. OVER $39 BILLION. That is far more than estimates to build the wall.

WE DO HAVE THE $$$$$$$$.
:shock: VOLUNTEERS :rotflmao: :lol: :rotflmao: :lol:

How many volunteers to build? Like the numbers of 3%ers and other guardians came to protect the AZ border? Someone forgot to mention the beer and the German beergarden with free Pretzel and Weisswurst :rotflmao: :cantlook:

And all those volunteers will bring with them the bestest recommendations that can be had in the building industry. From crane operators to concrete mixer, from truck drivers of heavy materials to the rebar professionals, not to forget the bulldozer ruffians? And all for free while high paying jobs are waiting all over the US in the recovering Trump economy (thank you Obama) !

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:03 pm

Thanks to all the recent storms and fires every person in this country with even sub-mediocre construction skills has more work than they can handle. This is a bad time to start a new construction project of any kind. Trust me, I know, I am living this.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:06 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:03 pm
Dolly wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:34 pm

As for cost?

WE DO HAVE THE $$$$$$$$.
:shock: VOLUNTEERS :rotflmao: :lol: :rotflmao: :lol:

How many volunteers to build? Like the numbers of 3%ers and other guardians came to protect the AZ border? Someone forgot to mention the beer and the German beergarden with free Pretzel and Weisswurst :rotflmao: :cantlook:

And all those volunteers will bring with them the bestest recommendations that can be had in the building industry. From crane operators to concrete mixer, from truck drivers of heavy materials to the rebar professionals, not to forget the bulldozer ruffians? And all for free while high paying jobs are waiting all over the US in the recovering Trump economy (thank you Obama) !

But the feds are gonna give them FREE GROCERIES!!!! And a Medal!!!

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Axios
Kelly told Dems Trump's wall promises were "uninformed"

President Trump's Chief of Staff John Kelly told congressional Democrats on Wednesday that the president's campaign promises about the border wall were "uninformed," the Washington Post reports. Kelly said the U.S. won't construct a physical wall along the entire border with Mexico, despite Trump's claims to the contrary.

The details: Kelly made the comments during a meeting with members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus and the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus, among others, "who have been deeply critical of Trump’s position on immigration policy," the Post reports.

¡Qué vergüenza!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Addie wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:57 pm
Axios
Kelly told Dems Trump's wall promises were "uninformed"
Snippet from the WaPo article mentioned in the Axio article:
WaPo wrote:“Certain things are said during the campaign that are uninformed,” Kelly said.

“One thing is to campaign, another thing is to govern. It’s really hard,” he added later, according to attendees.

“A concrete wall from sea to shining sea” is not going to happen, Kelly said. Instead, “a physical barrier in many places” is what the administration is requesting. Kelly used the term “physical barrier” several times during the meeting, attendees said.

“Concrete wall is not a realistic solution in many places,” Kelly said — noting that topography, among other issues, makes building a physical wall difficult along certain parts of the more than 2,100 miles between the United States and Mexico.

Instead, “we need 700 more miles of barrier,” Kelly said — a concession that a physical barrier does not need to stretch the entire length of the border.

“Concrete wall would be good in only certain places,” he added, saying that manpower and drone technology should suffice in some parts.

Kelly also said that there will be no wall “that Mexico will pay for.”

Later in the Fox interview, Kelly confirmed that the administration is seeking 700 miles of new wall and reiterated Trump’s view that the United States would be able to use a renegotiation of NAFTA to get Mexico to pay for the wall.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... story.html

Looks to me as if Kelly is bending backwards to get Teh Donald to accept a realistic and politically acceptable approach to The Wall. Now it's a question how long Kelly remains in the WH....

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:42 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:40 pm
Looks to me as if Kelly is bending backwards to get Teh Donald to accept a realistic and politically acceptable approach to The Wall. Now it's a question how long Kelly remains in the WH....
Trump seems to have lost his steam with regard to getting rid of people. Maybe he is figuring he can just give up and golf?

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:58 pm

neeneko wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:42 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:40 pm
Trump seems to have lost his steam with regard to getting rid of people. Maybe he is figuring he can just give up and golf?
Yes: the "Who's next under the bus?" thread is hibernating ... perhaps Trump is planning alternative entertainment for us?

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:28 pm

Remember, Trump is not good at firing people face to face, and he has run into a serious problem that even he has to be able to see - people are not clamoring to replace the staff that has left so he cant easily get replacements. So simply sending a flunkie to ditch people and expecting new ones to turn up by magic isn't going to work. AND his administration is chronically understaffed so he cant promote people as nowhere can spare anyone. Hell, his latest appointment is a 24 year old who now has to manage a program of billions of dollars.

https://boingboing.net/2018/01/15/all-t ... eople.html
Trump's new assistant Drug Czar: a 24-year-old campaign volunteer with no experience, in charge of billions to end the opioid epidemic

In 2016, Taylor Weyeneth took a break from his studies as an undergrad law student at St John's University and used the skills he'd acquired organizing a single golf tournament and working in his father's chia seed factory (closed abruptly when his father went to jail for processing illegal Chinese steroids in the plant) to campaign for Donald Trump. Now Weyeneth, at 24 years old, is the deputy chief of staff for Office of National Drug Control Policy, in charge of billions of dollars in spending to curb the opioid epidemic and fight illegal drug use.

Since the ONDCP has no permanent director (thanks to the withdrawal of Trump nominee Rep Tom Marino [R-PA], who was forced to resign when the Washington Post and 60 Minutes revealed that he had sponsored legislation to increase the power of opioid manufacturers and to limit the power of the DEA to crack down on abuses), Weyeneth is now assistant to the country's acting Drug Czar, a job historically occupied by lawyers and government officials with many years of experience.

Weyeneth has no experience at all -- even the fabrications on his resumes (there are three of these in the public domain, each giving a different, contradictory version of his working life) don't amount to anything that would justify giving this young frat guy administrative oversight of such an important role.

Trump officials explained that Weyeneth was qualified to combat the nation's opioid epidemic because he once lost a relative to an overdose and was "moved" by the incident.
Yey, a campaign Volunteer. Really pulling from a deep bench there, isn't he?

The people he has, he has likely shouted and bullied into letting him do his Marry Lardo schedule of doing next to no work and just letting him twit, eat, and watch TV, so he is probably happier than he has been.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:31 pm

Given the existence of, and likely increase in, external election meddling via propaganda - the best 'wall' would be a firewall with the ability to deter illicit overseas activity before it reaches the US.

Surely in the age of machine learning and big data we could devise such a thing. It only requires internet providers and over-the-top services to apply a bit of patriotic common sense to the data they allow to carry over their services.

If we are going to have crazy in our politics, at least let it bet the home-grown and home-nourished kind of crazy. (I think the first amendment requires at least that; I'm not at all sure it chains us to allowing free broadcast of foreign influence operators. That seems a bit...perverse.)

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Return to “Trump Administration”