Trump plan to BUILD THAT WALL!

Lani

Re: Trump plan to BUILD THAT WALL!

Post by Lani » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:43 am

Not sure where to post this. It's from the Houston area Catholic Charities and it just ran during the Olympics coverage.

Refreshing after the endless bashing of immigrants by the GOP.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:26 pm

WaPo
After testy call with Trump over border wall, Mexico's president shelves plan to visit White House

Tentative plans for Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto to make his first visit to the White House to meet with President Trump were scuttled this week after a testy call between the two leaders ended in an impasse over Trumps promised border wall, according to U.S. and Mexican officials.

Peña Nieto was eyeing an official trip to Washington this month or in early March, but called off the plan after Trump would not agree to publicly affirm Mexico's position that it would not fund construction of a border wall that the Mexican people widely consider offensive, said the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a confidential conversation.

Speaking by phone on Feb. 20, Peña Nieto and Trump devoted a considerable portion of their roughly 50 minute conversation to the wall, and neither man would compromise his position.

One Mexican official said Trump lost his temper. But U.S. officials described him instead as being frustrated and exasperated, saying Trump believed it was unreasonable for Peña Nieto to expect him to back off his crowd-pleasing campaign promise of forcing Mexico to pay for the wall.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:33 pm

more background stuff to add to Addie's post.

Mexico's Peña Nieto scraps plan to visit White House following call with Trump on border wall: report
The border wall, one of Trump’s most divisive campaign promises, has been a source of contention between the two nations. Peña Nieto canceled a planned meeting with Trump in January 2017 due to conflict with Trump over NAFTA and the border wall.

Arturo Sarukhan, a former Mexican ambassador to the United States, told the Washington Post that Trump has “painted” the relationship between the two countries “into a corner” with his insistence that Mexico would pay for the wall.

“Even from the get-go, the idea of Mexico paying for the wall was never going to fly,” Sarukhan said. “[Trump’s] relationship with Mexico isn’t strategically driven. It’s not even business. It’s personal, driven by motivations and triggers, and that’s a huge problem. It could end up with the U.S. asking itself, who lost Mexico?”

Trump said repeatedly during the campaign that Mexico would foot the bill for the border wall expansion. And during a phone call in August, Trump pleaded with Peña Nieto to not say publicly that his government would not pay for the wall, according to leaked transcripts.

“If you are going to say that Mexico is not going to pay for the wall, then I do not want to meet with you guys anymore because I cannot live with that,” Trump said at the time.
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... owing-call

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:09 am

Dolly wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:33 pm
Mexico's Peña Nieto scraps plan to visit White House following call with Trump on border wall: report
:snippity:

“If you are going to say that Mexico is not going to pay for the wall, then I do not want to meet with you guys anymore because I cannot live with that,” Trump said at the time.
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... owing-call
Was that a threat, a promise or an offer? Not a difficult decision for Sr. Peña Nieto!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:27 am

What a stupid piece of dog crap he is.

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you are trying to say?
:think:

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:32 am

Foggy wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:27 am
What a stupid piece of dog crap he [Trump] is.
:fingerwag: My dogs feel insulted.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:21 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:32 am
Foggy wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:27 am
What a stupid piece of dog crap he [Trump] is.
:fingerwag: My dogs feel insulted.
Huh, my crap feels insulted.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:55 pm

Yeah well, lemme know when dog craps feel insulted.

Them and their delicate little fee-fees. :shit: :taunt:

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you are trying to say?
:think:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:31 pm

Mexican-American judge that Trump attacked rules in favor of Trump's border wall
BY JACQUELINE THOMSEN - 02/27/18 04:23 PM EST

The Mexican-American judge who President Trump once attacked for his heritage has ruled in favor of the Trump administration in a lawsuit attempting to block his promised wall on the U.S.-Mexico border.

U.S. District Court Judge Gonzalo Curiel ruled Tuesday against a legal challenge to the wall over environment waivers granted by the Department of Homeland Security to build the wall.

The ruling means that the administration will be able to continue waiving the regulations to build barriers on the border.

Curiel wrote in his ruling that he did not have “serious constitutional doubts” about the administration’s use of the waivers.

“In its review of this case, the court cannot and does not consider whether underlying decisions to construct the border barriers are politically wise or prudent,” he also wrote.

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-bat ... -of-trumps

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:20 am

Politico
Trump: We’re delaying California border wall until entire project is approved

President Donald Trump declared online Wednesday that his administration would not push forward with plans to build the California section of his promised wall along the U.S.-Mexico border until the entire project is approved.

“I have decided that sections of the Wall that California wants built NOW will not be built until the whole Wall is approved,” the president wrote on Twitter. “Big victory yesterday with ruling from the courts that allows us to proceed. OUR COUNTRY MUST HAVE BORDER SECURITY!”

Trump’s tweet seemed an apparent reference to his administration’s efforts to build prototype walls in California and replace sections of fencing along the California-Mexico border. U.S. District Court Judge Gonzalo Curiel, whom Trump once said was incapable of fairly presiding over a case in which he was a defendant because of his Mexican ancestry, rejected on Tuesday lawsuits brought by the state of California and environmentalists over the government’s prototype and fence-replacement efforts.

It was not clear what Trump meant in suggesting that “California wants” a border wall “now,” since the state opposed his administration’s efforts. White House spokespeople did not immediately return emails seeking further clarity regarding the president’s post and whether the administration intends to delay work in California even after securing a judicial victory.

¡Qué vergüenza!

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:29 am

Addie wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:20 am
“I have decided that sections of the Wall that California wants built NOW will not be built until the whole Wall is approved,” the president wrote on Twitter. “Big victory yesterday with ruling from the courts that allows us to proceed. OUR COUNTRY MUST HAVE BORDER SECURITY!”

It was not clear what Trump meant in suggesting that “California wants” a border wall “now,” since the state opposed his administration’s efforts. White House spokespeople did not immediately return emails seeking further clarity regarding the president’s post and whether the administration intends to delay work in California even after securing a judicial victory.
Dropping myself a marker to eventually come back and try to make sense of this very odd-looking bit of news.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:22 am

That certainly would help, Guppy :dazed:
gupwalla wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:29 am

Dropping myself a marker to eventually come back and try to make sense of this very odd-looking bit of news.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:52 am

Feb. 28, 2018
US Awards $73M Contract for Border Wall Work in New Mexico
A Montana-based company has been awarded a $73 million contract to replace 20 miles of fence along the U.S.-Mexico border in southern New Mexico.

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — The U.S. government has awarded a Montana-based company a contract worth more than $73 million to design and build replacement fencing along 20 miles (32 kilometers) of the U.S.-Mexico border in southern New Mexico, officials confirmed Wednesday.

Existing vehicle barriers west of the Santa Teresa port of entry will be replaced with taller bollard-style barriers under the contract awarded in January to Barnard Construction Co. Inc. Bollard walls typically consist of sturdy, vertical posts that are spaced to provide visibility to the other side but are difficult to walk through.

Regional Customs and Border Protection officials said there was no timeline for when work might start, and the construction company did not respond to email and phone requests inquiring about project details.

News of the contract came after a federal judge in California sided this week with President Donald Trump on a challenge to building his promised border wall. The court rejected arguments that the administration overreached by waiving laws requiring environmental and other reviews before construction could begin.

The administration has issued three waivers since August — two to build in parts of California and one in part of New Mexico. Work is already underway on a 30-foot (9.1-meter) high barrier in Calexico, California.
< big snip>

FILE--In this Jan. 5, 2016, file photo, a U.S. Border Patrol vehicle drives next to a U.S-Mexico border fence in Santa Teresa, N.M. The U.S. government has awarded a Montana-based company a contract worth more than $73 million to design and build replacement fencing along 20 miles (32 kilometers) of the U.S.-Mexico border in southern New Mexico, officials confirmed Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2018. (AP Photo/Russell Contreras, file) The Associated Press
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... -wall-work

There is a thread at Free Republic about the above link:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3636271/posts
This contract was awarded in January (2018), but we are just hearing about it now. There was no press release when the contract was awarded, but officials just confirmed it, after reporters heard about it somewhere else. These twenty miles are to be completed in a year (16 February 2019).

I expect that a good bit is also quietly happening for contracting in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, but I have not yet heard of the Government waiving the environmental reviews there, like they did for this 20 mile stretch in New Mexico.

Vehicle barrier style, which is being replaced:

breaking image link www. nps. gov/orpi/planyourvisit.....................

Some of the new big, beautiful 30 foot bollards now going up in Calexico, CA:

I am not finding an article or Google Image search match for the bollards photo.
https://www.gannett
-cdn.com/-mm-/63915a3fdbc018a75504faebc3147148bd26a44a/c=0-55-667-944&r=295&c=0-0-292-390/local/-/media/2018/02/28/PalmSprings/PalmSprings/636554483147121378-The-Wall10338.JPG
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-new ... s?page=1#1

ETA: did a google search for "Some of the new big, beautiful 30 foot bollards now going up in Calexico, CA:"
there are several results, including:
Border Patrol is building border barrier in Calexico; is it a fence, or a Trump 'wall'?
Plans for the project began in 2009, according to Border Patrol agent Justin Castrejon, well before Trump as a candidate began calling for a border wall.

Congress has not passed any bills specifically funding Trump's border wall.

Money for the Calexico project came in Trump's first year in office with the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, according to a spokesman for Customs and Border Protection. That legislation gives CBP about $260.9 million for "procurement, construction, and improvements."

The Calexico project contract will cost about $18 million, Castrejon said. <SNIP>

A Border Patrol agent looks over the wall in Calexico. A barrier built in the 1990s from recycled metal scraps and landing mat will be torn down for bollard-style posts that are 30 feet high. (Sandy Huffaker / AFP/Getty Images)

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:39 pm

I didn't post this link yesterday when I posted about the Calexico fence replacement. The first LA Times link didn't mention the contractor. This one does.
FEB 21, 2018
Border wall work begins in downtown Calexico
In November, SWF Constructors of Omaha, Neb., won a contract for $18 million to replace the wall in Calexico, about 120 miles east of San Diego. It encompasses an area bisected by the New River, where smugglers are known to guide people through polluted waters. The project, which includes a bridge over the river, is expected to take 300 days. <SNIP>
Questions raised over border wall contract awarded to small startup

Questions are being raised about a small Nebraska company awarded the first construction contract for President Trump's long-promised border wall.

The Associated Press reported Friday that Nebraska-based SWF Constructors, which won an $11 million federal contract in November as part of a project to replace a roughly 2-mile stretch of border fencing in California, is the offshoot of a New York-based firm with a history of allegedly failing to pay subcontractors.

SWF is owned by Coastal Environmental Group, a construction firm based in Edgewood, N.Y., that has been sued multiple times for refusing to pay subcontractors, the AP reported. The Interior Department also found $2 million in questionable spending from the company in a 2016 audit.

The findings of that audit should have led to Coastal Environmental Group being flagged as a problem company but it was not, according to the AP.

SWF was listed on the bid for the border wall contract, rather than Coastal Environmental Group. Richard Silva, who is listed in government documents as the primary point of contact for both companies, did not return the AP's requests for comment. <SNIP>
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... -firm-with

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:00 pm

Dolly wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:39 pm
I didn't post this link yesterday when I posted about the Calexico fence replacement. The first LA Times link didn't mention the contractor. This one does.
FEB 21, 2018
Border wall work begins in downtown Calexico
In November, SWF Constructors of Omaha, Neb., won a contract for $18 million to replace the wall in Calexico, about 120 miles east of San Diego. It encompasses an area bisected by the New River, where smugglers are known to guide people through polluted waters. The project, which includes a bridge over the river, is expected to take 300 days. <SNIP>
:snippity:
BUT... But... but... Teh Donald promised that the whole contraption would be built sea to sea within one year! Where is the stamina :?:

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:35 pm

I'm glad to see that contractor corruption is being brought to light. A side effect, no doubt, of putting a mob-adjacent (at least) person in charge of the executive government and letting him direct infrastructure dollars.

A not unintended side-effect. (I'm back in :rolleye: mode tonight.)

As for the "wall" - don't get me started. It's hard for me to even talk about it. I agree that we need strong border security to keep out the "bad hombres" who engage in drugs, human trafficking, and other ill acts, but concrete and steel walls are so East Berlin. Surely we can come up with a better, more humane solution in the 21st Century.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:05 pm

Let's see what Congress has to say about The Wall when this first puzzle piece turns into The Great Fail. I expect to see the costs go way over budget on this easy snippet (essentially replacement of existing border protection) . Small company, recently created, little own staff -- where did I read about this? Ahh I remember: Puerto Rico food aid.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:58 am

Building that wall will now cost a great deal more because cheap foreign steel has been made unavailable.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:16 pm

Off Topic
Minnesota mosque bombing suspect submitted bid to build Trump’s border wall

A man whose company submitted one of the bids to construct President Trump's proposed border wall has been charged in the 2017 bombing of a Minnesota mosque.

Michael Hari, 47, the owner of Crisis Resolution Security Services, and two other men, Michael McWhorter, 27, and Joe Morris, 22, are facing federal charges for allegedly carrying out the bombing on the Dar al-Farooq Islamic Center last August in Bloomington, Minn., according to a criminal complaint filed in U.S. district court Tuesday.

The complaint alleges that the men carried out the attack, because they wanted to "scare [Muslims] out of the country."

McWhorter told investigators that it was Hari's idea to attack the mosque. He said that Hari acted as the bombmaker and getaway driver, and that Morris was responsible for breaking one of the building's windows.

McWhorter told investigators that he threw a pipe bomb into the mosque, according to the complaint. <SNIP>
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... mps-border

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:29 pm

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:48 pm

A comment from an article about Republicans threatening to subpoena the DOJ over the FBI's handling of the probe into Hillary's private email server -

"The wall needs to be made out of Hillary because it's apparent the GOP can't get over her."

:lol:

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:25 am

Andy is the Exec Producer of Ellen :lol:

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:03 am

The argument for the wall must shift a bit, recognizing that the direction of migration has numerically reversed: More Mexicans are returning to Mexico than are coming to the U. S.

There is still a flow of migrants from Central America. This may help citizens of the U. S. to finally recognize that Mexico is in North America.

There is also migration to the U. S. by drug dealers and other criminals, as well as desperate Mexicans who cannot participate in the new Mexican economy. It is not clear that a higher wall will thwart them.

The billions of dollars that Trump's wall will cost could better be spent on preventive programs such as drug rehabilitation. Walls to keep people in or out are, I think, admissions of failure, whether in Berlin, Israel, or the U. S. Of they are symbols.

We need to invest in programs that help people, not mob concrete companies.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:31 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:03 am
The argument for the wall must shift a bit, recognizing that the direction of migration has numerically reversed: More Mexicans are returning to Mexico than are coming to the U. S. :snippity:
So Trump's wall should be designed to keep Mexican workers in the U.S., preventing them from escaping to their motherland? :sarcasm:

As for money being better spent elsewhere on socially useful programs, I don't think you'll find much argument against that here!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:54 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:31 am
TollandRCR wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:03 am
The argument for the wall must shift a bit, recognizing that the direction of migration has numerically reversed: More Mexicans are returning to Mexico than are coming to the U. S. :snippity:
So Trump's wall should be designed to keep Mexican workers in the U.S., preventing them from escaping to their motherland? :sarcasm:

As for money being better spent elsewhere on socially useful programs, I don't think you'll find much argument against that here!
How does one get any US administration to pay for that when they are not even capable of feeding socially useful programs within the US ?

Return to “Trump Administration”