Trump - POTUS Tweets and Social Media

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Re: Trump - POTUS Tweets and Social Media

Post by HilltownGrrl » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:46 am

@RVInit - no matter, what you wrote was still spot on!

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:56 am

Bloomberg
Trump Twitter Bursts Throw Decades-Old Alliances Into Chaos
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

bob

Post by bob » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:32 am

The Hill: Trump threatens funding cut if UC Berkeley 'does not allow free speech':
President Trump early Thursday threatened to cut federal funding to the University of California, Berkeley after violent protests broke out on its campus Wednesday in response to a planned appearance by a far-right commentator.

"If U.C. Berkeley does not allow free speech and practices violence on innocent people with a different point of view — NO FEDERAL FUNDS?" the president tweeted Thursday morning [at 3:13 A.M.].

A scheduled appearance by right-wing commentator Milo Yiannopoulos was canceled Wednesday night about two hours before the Breitbart editor was scheduled to speak.

The university said in a statement the violence was "instigated by a group of about 150 masked agitators who came onto campus and interrupted an otherwise non-violent protest," according to NPR.
"This was a group of agitators who were masked up, throwing rocks, commercial grade fireworks and Molotov cocktails at officers," U.C. Berkeley Police Chief Margo Bennet told The Associated Press.

More than 1,500 people had showed up to protest Yiannopoulos's appearance on campus.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

listeme

Post by listeme » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:10 pm

Aha, here is a better place for my question than the other thread.

Are Trump's personal account tweets considered "official" anything? Are they public statements? Can they be used against the United States government in court?

Can he delete them?
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:22 pm

Are those the same masked anarchists who attended his last talk and caused a riot during his speech? Antifa, they call themselves.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:23 pm

bob wrote:The Hill: Trump threatens funding cut if UC Berkeley 'does not allow free speech':
President Trump early Thursday threatened to cut federal funding to the University of California, Berkeley after violent protests broke out on its campus Wednesday in response to a planned appearance by a far-right commentator.

"If U.C. Berkeley does not allow free speech and practices violence on innocent people with a different point of view — NO FEDERAL FUNDS?" the president tweeted Thursday morning [at 3:13 A.M.].

A scheduled appearance by right-wing commentator Milo Yiannopoulos was canceled Wednesday night about two hours before the Breitbart editor was scheduled to speak.

The university said in a statement the violence was "instigated by a group of about 150 masked agitators who came onto campus and interrupted an otherwise non-violent protest," according to NPR.
"This was a group of agitators who were masked up, throwing rocks, commercial grade fireworks and Molotov cocktails at officers," U.C. Berkeley Police Chief Margo Bennet told The Associated Press.

More than 1,500 people had showed up to protest Yiannopoulos's appearance on campus.
My understanding is that Milo has been making the rounds of Universities. He has only been prevented from being able to speak at two of them. Looking at photos and video of both events where he was prevented from speaking, the people who were violent did not look like the "normal students", i.e. they were dressed in black with black masks over their heads. The first incident I believe was in Seattle, fairly close to a known anarchist community. Does anyone know if there is an anarchist movement/group near UC Davis?

I'm not convinced that it is necessary left leaning students that are crossing the line between peaceful protest and violence.
Edit: Kate beat me to it. It pays to be succinct! :lol:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

bob

Post by bob » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:26 pm

kate520 wrote:Are those the same masked anarchists who attended his last talk and caused a riot during his speech? Antifa, they call themselves.
People there did self-identify as Antifa members, yes.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:44 pm

listeme wrote:Aha, here is a better place for my question than the other thread.

Are Trump's personal account tweets considered "official" anything? Are they public statements? Can they be used against the United States government in court?

Can he delete them?
This doesn't exactly answer your question. Posting this FWIW. I have wondered about it also. Compare some of this to Hillary's deleted emails. I wouldn't consider wedding plans and such as needing to be preserved.
Trump's tweets are presidential records, but deletions?

The National Archives and Records Administration considers President Donald Trump's tweets as presidential records that need to be preserved for historic purposes, but an archives official said Monday that the agency has yet to say whether his administration will be required to keep altered or deleted tweets.

After a misspelled statement from Trump's private Twitter account was altered Saturday and later deleted, archives spokeswoman Miriam Kleiman said Monday that presidential tweets, like all electronic communications "created or received" by the president or his staff, are considered presidential records.

Archives officials were discussing the question Monday, Kleiman said, but had not issued a determination.

Trump wrote on his private Twitter account at 11:57 a.m. Saturday, "I am honered to serve you, the great American People, as your 45th President of the United States." The tweet was later corrected to "honored" and then later removed entirely.

Before taking office last Friday, Trump had at times misspelled some of his tweets from his private account. Many of those had been removed and replaced with the correct spelling.
White House officials did not immediately respond to inquiries by The Associated Press about Trump's stance on preserving tweets.

Kleiman said White House tweets would be considered presidential "electronic communications." She cited federal archives law covering records that are created or received by the president, the president's immediate staff or a unit or individual of the Executive Office of the President who advises or assists Trump in carrying out constitutional, statutory or other official or ceremonial duties of the president.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/adcae7aa ... -deletions

Donald J. Trump Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
45th President of the United States of America
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

bob

Post by bob » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:18 pm

some idiot tweeting wrote:If U.C. Berkeley does not allow free speech and practices violence on innocent people with a different point of view — NO FEDERAL FUNDS?
UC Berkeley's Chancellor wrote last week:
The concerns around the upcoming visit of a controversial speaker to campus make it necessary for us to reaffirm our collective commitment to two fundamental principles for our campus. The first of these principles is the right to free expression, enshrined in the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and reflected in some of the most important moments of Berkeley’s history. The second of these principles has to do with our values of tolerance, inclusion and diversity – values which we believe are essential to making this university, and indeed any university, a site of open inquiry and learning.

Mr. Yiannopoulos is not the first of his ilk to speak at Berkeley and he will not be the last. In our view, Mr. Yiannopoulos is a troll and provocateur who uses odious behavior in part to “entertain,” but also to deflect any serious engagement with ideas. He has been widely and rightly condemned for engaging in hate speech directed at a wide range of groups and individuals, as well as for disparaging and ridiculing individual audience members, particularly members of the LGBTQ community. Mr. Yiannopoulos’s opinions and behavior can elicit strong reactions and his attacks can be extremely hurtful and disturbing. Although we urge anyone who is concerned about being targeted by Mr. Yiannopoulos to consider whether there is any value in attending this event, we stand ready to provide resources and support to our community members who may be adversely affected by his words and actions on the stage (we will provide more detail about these resources in a subsequent message).

Since the announcement of Mr. Yiannopoulos’s visit, we have received many requests that we ban him from campus and cancel the event. Although we have responded to these requests directly, we would like to explain to the entire campus community why the event will be held as planned. First, from a legal perspective, the U.S. Constitution prohibits UC Berkeley, as a public institution, from banning expression based on its content or viewpoints, even when those viewpoints are hateful or discriminatory. Longstanding campus policy permits registered student organizations to invite speakers to campus and to make free use of meeting space in the Student Union for that purpose. As mentioned, the BCR is the host of this event, and therefore it is only they who have the authority to disinvite Mr. Yiannopoulos. Consistent with the dictates of the First Amendment as uniformly and decisively interpreted by the courts, the university cannot censor or prohibit events, or charge differential fees. Some have asked us whether attacks on individuals are also protected. In fact, critical statements and even the demeaning ridicule of individuals are largely protected by the Constitution; in this case, Yiannopoulos’s past words and deeds do not justify prior restraint on his freedom of expression or the cancellation of the event.

Berkeley is the home of the Free Speech Movement, and the commitment to free expression is embedded in our Principles of Community as the commitment “to ensur(e) freedom of expression and dialogue that elicits the full spectrum of views held by our varied communities.” As a campus administration, we have honored this principle by defending the right of community members who abide by our campus rules to express a wide range of often-conflicting points of view. We have gone so far as to defend in court the constitutional rights of students of all political persuasions to engage in unpopular expression on campus. Moreover, we are defending the right to free expression at an historic moment for our nation, when this right is once again of paramount importance. In this context, we cannot afford to undermine those rights, and feel a need to make a spirited defense of the principle of tolerance, even when it means we tolerate that which may appear to us as intolerant.

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:29 pm

So a couple of days ago Twitter said they were going to get serious about really offensive posters.

How do you think they're doing?

In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:26 pm

CNN Guest: Berkeley Rioters Were Actually Secret Right-Wingers Affiliated With Breitbart

On CNN Thursday, UC Berkeley professor and former Democratic Secretary of Labor Robert Reich suggested the anti-Trump riots on campus were actually a right-wing plot to delegitimize liberals.

“I was there for part of last night, and I know what I saw and those people were not Berkeley students,” Reich said. “Those people were outside agitators. I have never seen them before.”

“There’s rumors that they actually were right-wingers. They were a part of a kind of group that was organized and ready to create the kind of tumult and danger you saw that forced the police to cancel the event,” Reich insisted. “So Donald Trump, when he says Berkeley doesn’t respect free speech rights, that’s a complete distortion of the truth.”

“You think it’s a strategy by [Milo Yiannopoulos] or right-wingers?” asked host Don Lemon.

“I wouldn’t bet against it,” Reich said. “I saw these people. They all looked very– almost paramilitary. They were not from the campus. I don’t want to say factually, but I’ve heard there was some relationship here between these people and the right-wing movement that is affiliated with Breitbart News.”

Watch above, via CNN. < I didn't copy the video >
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnn-guest-be ... breitbart/

a fogbow search for "Berkeley" shows recent posts in these other threads also
Neo-Nazi / White Supremacist News
Larry Klayman
Orly's latest poopies.....

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:43 pm

Dolly wrote:
CNN Guest: Berkeley Rioters Were Actually Secret Right-Wingers Affiliated With Breitbart

On CNN Thursday, UC Berkeley professor and former Democratic Secretary of Labor Robert Reich suggested the anti-Trump riots on campus were actually a right-wing plot to delegitimize liberals.

“I was there for part of last night, and I know what I saw and those people were not Berkeley students,” Reich said. “Those people were outside agitators. I have never seen them before.”

“There’s rumors that they actually were right-wingers. They were a part of a kind of group that was organized and ready to create the kind of tumult and danger you saw that forced the police to cancel the event,” Reich insisted. “So Donald Trump, when he says Berkeley doesn’t respect free speech rights, that’s a complete distortion of the truth.”

“You think it’s a strategy by [Milo Yiannopoulos] or right-wingers?” asked host Don Lemon.

“I wouldn’t bet against it,” Reich said. “I saw these people. They all looked very– almost paramilitary. They were not from the campus. I don’t want to say factually, but I’ve heard there was some relationship here between these people and the right-wing movement that is affiliated with Breitbart News.”

Watch above, via CNN. < I didn't copy the video >
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnn-guest-be ... breitbart/

a fogbow search for "Berkeley" shows recent posts in these other threads also
Neo-Nazi / White Supremacist News
Larry Klayman
Orly's latest poopies.....
How could the protesters be violating the guy's First Amendment rights? I thought the First Amendment just meant the government could not keep someone from speaking.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:15 pm

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote:
Dolly wrote:

:snippity:

How could the protesters be violating the guy's First Amendment rights? I thought the First Amendment just meant the government could not keep someone from speaking.
It's the rights of the Republican Party student organization on campus whose rights might be violated if the public state university did nothing to protect that organization's activities on campus. All student organizations must be treated equally.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

bob

Post by bob » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:20 pm

Twit in Chief (at 3:26 AM EST):
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
:roll:

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:30 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
DrIrvingFinegarten wrote:
Dolly wrote:
It's the rights of the Republican Party student organization on campus whose rights might be violated if the public state university did nothing to protect that organization's activities on campus. All student organizations must be treated equally.
So if the security was inadequate, they'd have a case?

bob

Post by bob » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:47 pm

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote:So if the security was inadequate, they'd have a case?
I don't think there's a constitutional duty to provide adequate security. If the decision to cancel the event was pretextual, there might be a case; good luck arguing that canceling in the face an actual riot was pretextual.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:03 pm

bob wrote:
DrIrvingFinegarten wrote:So if the security was inadequate, they'd have a case?
I don't think there's a constitutional duty to provide adequate security. If the decision to cancel the event was pretextual, there might be a case; good luck arguing that canceling in the face an actual riot was pretextual.
:like:
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:57 am

Politico
Trump's fleeting tweets alarm archivists

When President Donald Trump sent out tweets Thursday blasting a refugee deal with Australia, threatening to defund the University of California at Berkeley and declaring Iran to be “ON NOTICE,” those missives went to the 23.5 million followers of his personal Twitter account.

But they didn’t show up in the tweets of his official Twitter handle @POTUS — raising questions about whether those messages from the most powerful man on Earth will be archived for posterity.

Because some of Trump's headline-grabbing, market-moving tweets might never become part of the presidential history books, archivists fear that Americans could be left with an incomplete record of how the United States was governed in the Trump era.

During recent presidencies, nearly every official comment from the chief executive has been captured for historians to parse, and the same has been done for top White House staff. But Trump has continued tweeting primarily from his private account, @realDonaldTrump, even after entering the Oval Office — dispatching 140-character political bursts nearly each morning on topics including a terrorist attack in Paris, the combat death of a Navy SEAL, imprisoned leaker Chelsea Manning and Arnold Schwarzenegger’s television ratings.

Trump’s aides have also used their own unofficial Twitter accounts to speak to voters. And on occasion, both the president and his advisers have scrubbed posts after they’ve gone up — raising questions, according to archivists, about what should and will be preserved at the end of his administration.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:00 am

Feb. 4, 2017
Trump Posted A False News Report To His Facebook Page And Got Thousands Of Shares
The report claimed that Kuwait had also issued a visa ban on several Muslim-majority countries after President Trump’s immigration order. They didn’t.

President Donald Trump on Thursday posted to his official Facebook page a news report that erroneously claimed Kuwait had followed his recent immigration order by implementing a visa ban on several Muslim-majority nations.

The story from Jordanian outlet Al Bawaba claimed “Syrians, Iraqis, Iranians, Pakistanis and Afghans will not be able to obtain visit, tourism or trade Kuwaiti visas with the news coming one day after the US slapped its own restrictions on seven Muslim-majority countries.”

“Smart,” President Trump wrote in his Facebook post, which was subsequently shared more than 65,000 times. (The post was still live on Saturday afternoon).

However, the Kuwaiti Ministry of Foreign Affairs has since expressly denied the reports. <SNIP>
https://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/trum ... ndzvvRR8Dx

The Facebook post is still on his page.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:44 am

Dolly wrote: :snippity:
Another six hours and it is still there.

Smart Mr President :!:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:28 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Dolly wrote: :snippity:
Another six hours and it is still there.

Smart Mr President :!:
Sticks still on the POTUS FB page at the time of this posting.

Shows approx 70K Likes, and has 14K (!) Comments

Has much support in the comments for a Muslim / foreigner ban.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:53 pm

Read downwards

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 7h7 hours ago

Any negative polls are fake news, just like the CNN, ABC, NBC polls in the election. Sorry, people want border security and extreme vetting. Suuure they do, just like your fingers and dick are yuge.
42,825 replies 23,905 retweets 99,197 likes

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 7h7 hours ago

I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it. Some FAKE NEWS media, in order to marginalize, lies! <<--- Can the "President Bannon" jokes be getting to little Donny?
38,901 replies 16,038 retweets 77,812 likes

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 2h2 hours ago

Will be interviewed on @oreillyfactor tonight at 8:00 P.M. <<--- He usually says "Enjoy!" when he brags about an interview. Its like he is pressured or summit
5,186 replies 4,210 retweets 24,724 likes

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 2h2 hours ago

The failing @nytimes writes total fiction concerning me. They have gotten it wrong for two years, and now are making up stories & sources! I wonder what the New York Times has gotten right this time
17,734 replies 8,475 retweets 37,725 likes
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:59 pm

"The Emperor's New Clothes" (Danish: Kejserens nye Klæder)
is a short tale written by Danish author Hans Christian Andersen,
about two weavers who promise an emperor a new suit of clothes
that they say is invisible to those who are unfit for their positions,
stupid, or incompetent.

"I am wearing clothes! You just can't see them because you're a loser!" ---Donald T. Rump
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:11 pm

Cause it looks best here, re Milo and Berkley protest
Fake journalist Jonathan Pie Decries Leftist Fascism

Shutting peoples opinion is not fighting fascism. it is fascism!

[liveleak]f12b4a289c9c[/liveleak]

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:29 am

Dear Jebus :cantlook:

Politico
Trump blasts Nordstrom for dropping Ivanka’s clothing line

President Donald Trump blasted luxury department store line Nordstrom for dropping his daughter Ivanka Trump’s label.

“My daughter Ivanka has been treated so unfairly by @Nordstrom. She is a great person -- always pushing me to do the right thing! Terrible!” Trump tweeted Wednesday morning. ...

“We've said all along we make buying decisions based on performance," Nordstrom said in a statement to The Associated Press on Feb 3. "We've got thousands of brands— more than 2,000 offered on the site alone. Reviewing their merit and making edits is part of the regular rhythm of our business."

Nordstrom had issued an internal statement in support of immigrants following Trump’s executive order temporarily barring immigrants from seven Muslim-majority countries just three days before dropping Ivanka Trump’s line. The move also comes amid a #GrabYourWallet hashtag calling for a boycott of all Trump products.

Return to “Trump Administration”