Trump - POTUS Tweets and Social Media

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Trump - POTUS Tweets and Social Media

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:00 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:46 pm
Gillibrand is a strong advocate for sexual assault victims. Three victims were on Megan Kelly's show yesterday. Gillibrand calls for Trump to step down because of his sexual assaults. Trump then tweets she'd "do anything" for money. Maybe it depends on your life experience, but many of us have been harassed in this very manner and it was very clear to us and other witnesses what our accuser meant.

Considering Trump's remarks on The Apprentice and on the Hollywood Access bus, and the 20 women who have accused him of sexually harassing or assaulting them, I think the sexual insinuation is obvious and I stand by that.

When a sleazeball tells a woman she'd "do anything" to get where she is, he's not accusing her of selling apples on the street corner.
I read it the same way. He is of my generation and uses terms that are quite familiar from the 50's and 60's.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:13 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:28 pm
neeneko wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:24 pm
Slim Cognito wrote:
When a sleazeball tells a woman she'd "do anything" to get where she is, he's not accusing her of selling apples on the street corner.
There might be a dog whistle here that I am just not resonating with.

I read the line in terms of her 'flunky' relationship to other people he doesn't like,so suggesting she will do whatever the evil back room leaders tell her to do, thus tieing the accusations into larger democratic plots against him. So casting her as a mindless pawn in the game between lesser men and himself.

But I tend to see political machinations and slights rather than thinking in terms of sleaze.
You have to consider the source. We're talking about serial sexual abuser, Donald Trump, not some great political strategist.

Also, I'm guessing you've never been accused of sleeping your way into a job.
It's not like Trump is capable of carry on the same thought from one sentence to the next. He's barely capable of completing a thought within one sentence. The end of that tweet is a nice example of word and plain old "What?"

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:28 pm
You have to consider the source. We're talking about serial sexual abuser, Donald Trump, not some great political strategist.

Also, I'm guessing you've never been accused of sleeping your way into a job.
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:00 pm
I read it the same way. He is of my generation and uses terms that are quite familiar from the 50's and 60's.
I think this highlights one of the tricky parts about dog whistles and other culturally loaded phrases. If you are outside the target (either in terms of people hit with the term, or encouraged by it), the effect can be rather different, esp when the phrasing lines up with something else that is from the listener's background too.

Though I do find it interesting since the idea of women using sex to get ahead in the workplace hasn't exactly gone away, I even saw it come up in kid's show just a few months ago, but I guess the code phrases have changed over the decades.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:27 pm

5 senators called for his resignation. 4 were men. He only responded to the woman. It was all about sex.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:37 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:27 pm
5 senators called for his resignation. 4 were men. He only responded to the woman. It was all about sex.
She was also the only one that he has given money to in the past (I think). He is sexist as hell and I can see that reading, but he is also obsessed with loyalty and freaks out at the image of someone turning against him, which I think is another reading. Of course, they could also both be the case.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:42 pm

This gets me thinking though... given how much his supporters seem to obsess with 'follow the money' and reading any tiny donation as unforgivable political bias and permanent ownership of the figure, does this mean that since Trump gave to Gillibrand on multiple occasions that he is actually the mastermind behind the accusations against him? Maybe some Bismark level 'get out of being the president' long game?

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:56 pm

neeneko wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:42 pm
This gets me thinking though... given how much his supporters seem to obsess with 'follow the money' and reading any tiny donation as unforgivable political bias and permanent ownership of the figure, does this mean that since Trump gave to Gillibrand on multiple occasions that he is actually the mastermind behind the accusations against him? Maybe some Bismark level 'get out of being the president' long game?
I think you're giving Trump too much credit. He's an animal and reacts with animal instincts. When cornered, he curls his lips and growls. He may long for his life before entering the presidential race, but I don't think he has the cognition to plan such an escape. His one talent is self promotion, like a blue footed booby showing off his colorful feet, except he drenched his in blue dye to deceive his audience. He's really a dreary old seagull, stealing anything he can get his beak on.

ImageImageImage x4

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:10 pm

If he gave that Senator money, then in his self centered world view that means he is solely responsible for that senators election. And that means she is being disloyal, which means to save face he has to tear her down with maximum punishment. It's nothing more than that. For women the weakpoint is calling them sluts, for men its calling them feeble.

And I'm sorry but if someone from Europe can immediately see what he was driving at with his "do anything" line, then that's what he was driving at. Saying otherwise is exactly like him standing there with his halo on and saying he was not actually insulting that reporter. He does just enough to legally cover his ass, and like all cowards he lashes out from a place of safety.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:29 pm

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:00 pm
Slim Cognito wrote:
Gillibrand is a strong advocate for sexual assault victims. Three victims were on Megan Kelly's show yesterday. Gillibrand calls for Trump to step down because of his sexual assaults. Trump then tweets she'd "do anything" for money. Maybe it depends on your life experience, but many of us have been harassed in this very manner and it was very clear to us and other witnesses what our accuser meant.

Considering Trump's remarks on The Apprentice and on the Hollywood Access bus, and the 20 women who have accused him of sexually harassing or assaulting them, I think the sexual insinuation is obvious and I stand by that.

He's as slimy as they get. It's a dog whistle for those who think that women are good only for sex and making sammiches.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:36 pm

I agree with Suranis. In my experience, when someone - and particularly a man - claims that a woman would do "anything" to get something, sex is an implied part of the "anything."

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:41 pm

Exactly. He hides his sleaze behind weasel-words just vague enough to be semi-plausibly denied.

And he's been sleazing out on business deals, marital fidelity, being a Christian, his own health--- and a thousand things we don't even know about--- all his life. It's who he is.

He's a sleazel.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:43 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:41 pm
Exactly. He hides his sleaze behind weasel-words just vague enough to be semi-plausibly denied.

And he's been sleazing out on business deals, marital fidelity, being a Christian, his own health, and things we don't even know about, all his life. It's who he is.

He's a sleazel.
I'ma stealing that! Trump the Sleazel: A Scary Bedtime Story.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:43 pm
RoadScholar wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:41 pm

And he's been sleazing out on business deals, marital fidelity, being a Christian, his own health, and things we don't even know about, all his life. It's who he is.

He's a sleazel.
I'ma stealing that! Trump the Sleazel: A Scary Bedtime Story.
Don't forget to include Sarah Succubus.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:12 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:32 pm
Well, Sarah has something else to dance around this afternoon.

Of course, he didn't say sex. He's a stupid man, but he's not a dumb man.

:brickwallsmall:
I can't find a link yet, but Sarah surpassed herself today. On MSNBC they showed her telling the reporter who asked about it that her mind was in the gutter.

:jawdrop:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:17 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Since Trump's mind is in the gutter, and he uttered the statement, it means sex.

Thanks Sarah.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:49 pm

Kremlin: We see Trump's tweets as official statements
MSN
8 hours ago
Tweets by U.S. President Donald Trump are viewed in Moscow as his official position, the Kremlin said.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/kr ... ar-BBGDACP

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:00 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:17 pm
SHS continues the micro agression / verbal abuse.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:18 pm

Dolly wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:49 pm

Kremlin: We see Trump's tweets as official statements
MSN
8 hours ago
Tweets by U.S. President Donald Trump are viewed in Moscow as his official position, the Kremlin said.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/kr ... ar-BBGDACP
Putin doesn't use Twitter. He is so much more clever and wise than Trump. That wouldn't be as much of a problem if Trump actually would do what other Presidents have done - utilize available intelligence and consider the opinions of experienced diplomats/intelligence officers/FBI

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:33 pm

Gosh. And nice to see a bit of backbone on display, if true.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:11 pm

I'm sure when 45 gave Gillibrand the money, he thought it was a good chance to hit on her.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:40 pm

Ouch...

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:45 pm

When he goes low, he goes low.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:49 pm

Stinger.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:51 pm

I've been pondering whether the pee tapes have Trump in the room with minors. That would make anyone scared and he probably hasn't told anyone the facts about that.

Return to “Trump Administration”