President Trump

maydijo

Re: President Trump

Post by maydijo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:35 pm

Up until at least the late 1930s US immigrate policy was so strictly antisemitic that a professor of mine, whose father had been born in the US and was thus technically a US citizen, was denied the right to immigrate. He was a German Jew living in South Africa until he was told to leave by the South African government at the outbreak of WWII. He didn't want to go back to Germany, he knew what would happen if he did, so he presented with his US birth certificate at the US embassy. He was told he wouldn't be allowed in. He and his wife ended up in Australia because it was the only country that would take him.

Another one of this man's grandsons is now a very prominent barrister in Australia who has done a lot of work to protect the rights of refugees and asylum seekers. Clearly, their family history continues to shape their worldview. (As for my ex professor, he was once one of Australia's leading conservative voices until he had a change of heart prompted at least in part by John Howard's immigration policies. To this day he remains one of the most influential teachers I've ever had, and is by far the most polite man I've ever met - a true gentleman and a real scholar.)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:36 pm

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/po ... rump-fisa/
If the President* Is Uniquely Dangerous, Treat Him That Way
Our leaders in Congress can't seem to make up their minds.

Every night on the cable news channels, I see Democratic congresscritters who tell me that the president* is an unprecedented existential threat to the institutions of the free American republic. In general, I agree with them, although I think they do a minor insult to the memories of Woodrow Wilson and A. Mitchell Palmer. Thus, I am a bit confused as to why 50 Democrats in the House of Representatives voted on Thursday to bequeath to the president* and to his national security apparatus, and his dubiously credentialed attorney general, massive surveillance powers in this country.

Here’s the meta political concern of all time: should any president, but especially this one, be granted such broad surveillance powers if the Three Dolts on a Divan in the morning can confuse him so badly on the subject? Can we trust a president* with this authority if he can be talked out of supporting it by Steve Doocy? Are we all turning into lower amphibians? Questions abound.

There is within the government now a sort of sub rosa effort to see how much of the executive power safely can be leached away from a president* and an administration* so clearly unable to handle much more than a takeout order. Today, for example, some veterans of the United States missile command wrote an open letter to Congress asking it to curtail some of the president*’s power over the country’s nuclear arsenal.

Back before he was replaced with the customary replicant, Senator Bob Corker also had qualms about this president*’s ability to bring down Armageddon on a fractious whim.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:39 pm

I continue to think he may have dementia, and that as the stress increases his already weak filters are going to fail more often.

And yes. A statesman doesn't speak like this for the world to hear. Well, Nixon said some pretty appalling things privately (more or less). Maybe LBJ too.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Daily Caller: Trump Allegedly Asked O’Keefe To Get Obama’s Sealed Columbia Records:
Project Veritas founder James O’Keefe claims in his new book that Donald Trump asked him in 2013 to get his hands on President Obama’s sealed Columbia records.

In the introduction of his book “American Pravda: My Fight for Truth in the Era of Fake News,” O’Keefe recalls meeting Trump back in 2013. O’Keefe said that he didn’t get the idea that Trump was a “birther,” but Trump did seem to believe that Obama might have misled people about being a foreign national.

“He was confident Obama was born in the United States, but he suspected Obama had presented himself as a foreign student on application materials to ease his way into New York’s Columbia University, maybe even Harvard too, and perhaps picked up a few scholarships along the way,” O’Keefe explains. “Trump had reason to believe Obama was capable of this kind of mischief.”

“Nobody else can get this information,” Trump reportedly told O’Keefe. “Do you think you could get inside Columbia?”

“As I explained, that was not exactly our line of work. We were journalists, not private eyes,” O’Keefe writes about the request. “At the end of our discussion, Trump shook my hand, encouraged me to keep up the good work, and half-whispered, ‘Do Columbia.'”

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:44 pm

Skip Intro wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:21 pm
Washington Post Headline: Trump Attacks Protections for Immigrants From ‘Shithole’ Countries in Oval Office Meeting

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 710d6c596f
Wasn't there recently a book on the market that highlighted ignorant presidents :?:

:sarcasm:

tek

Post by tek » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:50 pm

“As I explained, that was not exactly our line of work. We were journalists, not private eyes,” O’Keefe writes about the request.
journalists? Project Veritas? :rotflmao:

listen to the tide slowly turning

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Donald Trump: "Make America a Shithole Country Again"

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:52 pm

bob wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:42 pm
Daily Caller: Trump Allegedly Asked O’Keefe To Get Obama’s Sealed Columbia Records:
Project Veritas founder James O’Keefe claims in his new book that Donald Trump asked him in 2013 to get his hands on President Obama’s sealed Columbia records.

In the introduction of his book “American Pravda: My Fight for Truth in the Era of Fake News,” O’Keefe recalls meeting Trump back in 2013. O’Keefe said that he didn’t get the idea that Trump was a “birther,” but Trump did seem to believe that Obama might have misled people about being a foreign national.

“He was confident Obama was born in the United States, but he suspected Obama had presented himself as a foreign student on application materials to ease his way into New York’s Columbia University, maybe even Harvard too, and perhaps picked up a few scholarships along the way,” O’Keefe explains. “Trump had reason to believe Obama was capable of this kind of mischief.”

“Nobody else can get this information,” Trump reportedly told O’Keefe. “Do you think you could get inside Columbia?”

“As I explained, that was not exactly our line of work. We were journalists, not private eyes,” O’Keefe writes about the request. “At the end of our discussion, Trump shook my hand, encouraged me to keep up the good work, and half-whispered, ‘Do Columbia.'”
It's too bad Dennis Montgomery never got to meet Trump.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:56 pm

bob wrote:
Daily Caller:
James O'Keefe lies about refusing Trump, to try and present himself as someone ethical because he refused the request of someone with no ethics, and also to make himself out to be someone of importance.

Trump wouldn't have blown his nose with O'Keefe in 2013. For one thing, O'Keefe might have tried to drag the limelight away from where it naturally rested, Trumps bald head, and for another O'Keefe was pretty much a joke. His only Success, acorn, was long behind him.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:12 pm

6742C2F9-C284-464A-A8BF-2506878C3946.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 pm

Life Buoy for Trump.

I know many interesting things about pigs.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:17 pm

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... of-treason
President Trump on Thursday accused an FBI agent who criticized him while serving on special counsel Robert Mueller’s team of committing “treason” against the U.S.

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Trump argued that FBI agent Peter Strzok had plotted to undermine his presidency before he even came into office.

Strzok was once a key figure in the 2016 FBI investigation into Hillary Clinton’s handling of classified material. He was removed from the special counsel investigation into Russian election meddling after it was discovered that he exchanged anti-Trump text messages during the investigation with fellow FBI agent Lisa Page, with whom he was reportedly having an affair.

In one of those text exchanges, Strzok says that there’s “no way” Trump gets elected but that if he does there needs to be an “insurance policy” in place because “we can’t take that risk."

“A man is tweeting to his lover that if [Clinton] loses, we’ll essentially do the insurance policy,” Trump said in the Wall Street Journal interview. “'We’ll go to phase two and we’ll get this guy out of office.'”
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was a pair who were texting before the election and on their personal devices?

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:36 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:52 pm
It's too bad Dennis Montgomery never got to meet Trump.
There is still time, unless that aneurysm popped and I missed it.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:18 pm

:cantlook: Shirely you aren't Sirius :?: :doh:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:20 pm

bob wrote:
:snippity:
Melanin perhaps :?:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:23 pm

Kendra wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:17 pm
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... of-treason

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was a pair who were texting before the election and on their personal devices?
IIRC they were using their government phones at the time, that's why it came to light.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Flatpointhigh wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:25 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:11 pm
Trump, and many like him, believe that Europeans came to this country to find work and make America great. Anyone else - blacks, Latinos, Muslims - come for welfare, to commit crimes, or to steal the jobs of hard working white folks. Because white folks are honest and great and non-white folks are lazy scum.
You left out Jews and the quota system that was in place for emigration.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigrati ... 24#Results
The new quotas for immigration from Southern and Eastern Europe, and the bar on the "Asia-Pacific Triangle", were so restrictive that in 1924 more Italians, Czechs, Yugoslavs, Greeks, Lithuanians, Hungarians, Portuguese, Romanians, Spaniards, Polish and Russian Jews, Chinese, and Japanese left the United States than arrived as immigrants.[25]

The quotas remained in place with minor alterations until the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965.
Do not forget the Chinese Exclusion Act.

Strangely, the East Asian (and Sotuh Asian) immigrants that did manage to get to the USA have been amazingly successful and productive.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:34 pm

For the record (and preaching to the choir): President Obama's school records are not "sealed." They are confidential under FERPA, like the records of every other student in the U.S.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:37 pm

I just don't like seeing his name. It offends me, as it has for almost forty years. Seeing his name in the same sentence as the word President is sickening.

And FTR, the difference between calling fuckhead Abuser in Chief and so on is that it is true.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:40 pm

https://www.wsj.com/articles/transcript ... 1515715481

LOL from immigration deal to bestest dealmaker to I wanna punish people who write mean books about me to I'm the smartest person to ever walk the planet.

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Don't forget he was a great athlete, even with those bone spurs.

If thoughts and prayers weren’t free, nobody would offer them.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:57 pm

Why is any sentient human being surprised at anything that comes out of hisshithole? I mean, really!

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:00 pm

Skip Intro wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:54 pm
Don't forget he was a great athlete, even with those bone spurs.
Those bone spurs are tragic. If it wasn't for them, he could've single-handedly won the Vietnam War.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:07 pm

Turtle wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:40 pm

https://www.wsj.com/articles/transcript ... 1515715481

LOL from immigration deal to bestest dealmaker to I wanna punish people who write mean books about me to I'm the smartest person to ever walk the planet.
Can someone please fill in the sentences and then translate what the intent of the blabbermouth was :?:

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:47 pm

Distraction from his miserable wormfilled soul.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Return to “Trump Administration”