President Trump

RTH10260

Re: President Trump

Post #1976 by RTH10260 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:06 pm

Already mentioned?

Germany rejects Trump's claim it owes NATO and U.S. 'vast sums' for defense

German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen on Sunday rejected U.S. President Donald Trump's claim that Germany owes NATO and the United States "vast sums" of money for defense.

"There is no debt account at NATO," von der Leyen said in a statement, adding that it was wrong to link the alliance's target for members to spend 2 percent of their economic output on defense by 2024 solely to NATO.

"Defense spending also goes into UN peacekeeping missions, into our European missions and into our contribution to the fight against IS terrorism," von der Leyen said.

She said everyone wanted the burden to be shared fairly and for that to happen it was necessary to have a "modern security concept" that included a modern NATO but also a European defense union and investment in the United Nations.

Trump said on Twitter on Saturday - a day after meeting German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Washington - that Germany "owes vast sums of money to NATO & the United States must be paid more for the powerful, and very expensive, defense it provides to Germany!"
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-t ... SKBN16Q0D8

Chilidog

Post #1977 by Chilidog » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:27 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Tillerson ends China trip with warm words from President Xi

With warm words from Chinese President Xi Jinping on Sunday, U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson ended his first trip to Asia since taking office with an agreement to work together with China on North Korea and putting aside trickier issues.

China has been irritated at being repeatedly told by Washington to rein in North Korea's nuclear and missile programs and the U.S. decision to base an advanced missile defense system in South Korea.

Beijing is also deeply suspicious of U.S. intentions toward self-ruled Taiwan, which China claims as its own, with the Trump administration crafting a big new arms package for the island that is bound to anger China.

But meeting in Beijing's Great Hall of the People, those issues were brushed aside by Xi and Tillerson, at least in front of reporters, with Xi saying Tillerson had made a lot of efforts to achieve a smooth transition in a new era of relations.

"You said that China-U.S. relations can only be friendly. I express my appreciation for this," Xi said
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tille ... SKBN16Q038

Luke warm, if you ask me.

SueDB

Post #1978 by SueDB » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Chilidog wrote:
RTH10260 wrote:
Tillerson ends China trip with warm words from President Xi

With warm words from Chinese President Xi Jinping on Sunday, U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson ended his first trip to Asia since taking office with an agreement to work together with China on North Korea and putting aside trickier issues.

China has been irritated at being repeatedly told by Washington to rein in North Korea's nuclear and missile programs and the U.S. decision to base an advanced missile defense system in South Korea.

Beijing is also deeply suspicious of U.S. intentions toward self-ruled Taiwan, which China claims as its own, with the Trump administration crafting a big new arms package for the island that is bound to anger China.

But meeting in Beijing's Great Hall of the People, those issues were brushed aside by Xi and Tillerson, at least in front of reporters, with Xi saying Tillerson had made a lot of efforts to achieve a smooth transition in a new era of relations.

"You said that China-U.S. relations can only be friendly. I express my appreciation for this," Xi said
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tille ... SKBN16Q038

Luke warm, if you ask me.

Why would anyone listen to Tillerson? He's been seriously marginalized. Kushner wants to call the shots.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Chilidog

Post #1979 by Chilidog » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:37 pm

SueDB wrote:Why would anyone listen to Tillerson? He's been seriously marginalized. Kushner wants to call the shots.

I wonder if Tillerson's realized that yet.

And what he will do when it finally dawns on him.

SueDB

Post #1980 by SueDB » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:53 pm

Chilidog wrote:
SueDB wrote:Why would anyone listen to Tillerson? He's been seriously marginalized. Kushner wants to call the shots.

I wonder if Tillerson's realized that yet.

And what he will do when it finally dawns on him.

It probably will only when one of 45's kids goes with him to stick their hand up his ass to move his mouth. :o

Addie

Post #1981 by Addie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:16 pm

New York Times - Maureen Dowd

Trump, Working-Class Zero

It’s not unknown, of course.

In ancient Egypt, there was the symbol of the ouroboros, the snake that eats its own tail. Nerve-addled octopuses sometimes consume their own arms.

But we’ve never watched a president so hungrily devour his own presidency.

Soon, there won’t be anything left except the sound of people snickering. ...

Many who meet with Trump — from foreign leaders to our own lawmakers — look like cats on a hot stove. One Democratic senator told me he was determined not to smile in a session with the president in case Trump suddenly said something offensive or batty while the senator was politely grinning for the cameras.

Everyone is tiptoeing around the mad king in his gilded, sparse court. His lieges make fools of themselves trying to justify or interpret his transcendentally nutty tweets and willfully ignorant comments.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Skip Intro

Post #1982 by Skip Intro » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Able-Bodied Senior Who Watches TV All Day Receives Free Government Meals

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz ... l_facebook

One major characteristic of the current administration is its deep and abiding terror of expertise in general, and outside expertise in particular. - Charles Pierce

RTH10260

Post #1983 by RTH10260 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:13 pm

:like:

Skip Intro

Post #1984 by Skip Intro » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:40 pm

The coming Trump police state.

One major characteristic of the current administration is its deep and abiding terror of expertise in general, and outside expertise in particular. - Charles Pierce

RTH10260

Post #1985 by RTH10260 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:44 pm

Skip Intro wrote:The coming Trump police state.

I don't think that under such conditions the Trump administration will find many takers for the many still open top level jobs in the departments. I would even expect that some may quit after a only a couple of months on the job. I am waiting with baited & bated breath for the first purge of staffers based on reports of the political officers (too bad that they cannot just shoot the person as was the case in the Stalins era).

SueDB

Post #1986 by SueDB » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:47 pm

Throughout WWII, Hitler had no trouble finding replacements for the Generals/Field Marshals he sacked and those that were caught up in the plot to kill him.

IMHO - there's more idiots out there with no soul, morality, or ethics - I mean how ethical is white supremacy?

Sam the Centipede

Post #1987 by Sam the Centipede » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:51 am

SueDB wrote:Throughout WWII, Hitler had no trouble finding replacements for the Generals/Field Marshals he sacked and those that were caught up in the plot to kill him.

IMHO - there's more idiots out there with no soul, morality, or ethics - I mean how ethical is white supremacy?

That question has perplexed many people over time: "why would decent person A want to work for vile person B or unethical company C?".

Many people have strict ethical or behavioral​ standards ... which become more flexible when they are exposed to severe temptation! Imagine being a second- or third-rater offered the job opportunity of a lifetime, one that would never come under a competent president/administration; why not take it and get the experience on the resumé for future times? Easy to justify to oneself: "oh, yes, I disapprove of Trump, but he won the election and I respect that, and anyway I'm not working for Trump, I'm working for the American people, yes, I'll do my best."

Like it or not, a huge number of people voted for Trump: over twice the combined population of the Scandinavian/Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, plus dependencies), or more than the entire adult population of any one of the major European countries, such as Germany, France, Italy, UK. Within the huge horde of horrors that is Trumpistan, there surely will be plenty willing to do their leader's bidding, and perhaps even some with a few brain cells.

Volkonski

Post #1988 by Volkonski » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:43 am

Amateur hour.

The 'Tillerson Is Tired' Meme And Things That Happen In A News Vacuum

http://www.wfdd.org/story/tillerson-tir ... ews-vacuum

The New York Times' David Sanger presents another example of what happened in the vacuum created by the lack of traveling press with Tillerson, and this time, it was with regard to a deadly serious topic — North Korea:

"China tried to box him in by reviving an old proposal for a 'freeze' of North Korea's nuclear and missile programs in return for an American-led freeze of all military exercises with South Korea.

"[Tillerson] accurately noted that a freeze 'would leave North Korea with significant capabilities that would represent a true threat, not just to the region, but to American forces.' But other than that, he never grappled head-on with the Chinese arguments in favor of their proposal — which left the door open for his Chinese counterpart to restate his case in Beijing.

"The Chinese example here is a small one, but it is telling. In past administrations, the State Department would have used the long flight to Asia to give reporters a sense of its arguments and long-term strategy. The secretary of state would have wandered back to the press seats on the plane and offered, on 'background,' the administration's thinking about the major issue of the day."

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Slim Cognito

Post #1989 by Slim Cognito » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:26 am

How does this tweet differ from KAC telling everyone to buy Ivanka? He's clearly telling people they should be watching Fox.

Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RTH10260

Post #1990 by RTH10260 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:38 am

Volkonski wrote:Amateur hour.

The New York Times' David Sanger presents another example of what happened in the vacuum created by the lack of traveling press with Tillerson, and this time, it was with regard to a deadly serious topic — North Korea:

"China tried to box him in by reviving an old proposal for a 'freeze' of North Korea's nuclear and missile programs in return for an American-led freeze of all military exercises with South Korea.

"[Tillerson] accurately noted that a freeze 'would leave North Korea with significant capabilities that would represent a true threat, not just to the region, but to American forces.' But other than that, he never grappled head-on with the Chinese arguments in favor of their proposal — which left the door open for his Chinese counterpart to restate his case in Beijing.

"The Chinese example here is a small one, but it is telling. In past administrations, the State Department would have used the long flight to Asia to give reporters a sense of its arguments and long-term strategy. The secretary of state would have wandered back to the press seats on the plane and offered, on 'background,' the administration's thinking about the major issue of the day."

But T.Rex is following Teh Donalds steps: don't tell the adversary what your intentions are (aka Obama/Kelly stupid for announcing months in advance that they will be knocking at the doors of Mosul) :!:

RTH10260

Post #1991 by RTH10260 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:43 am

Volkonski wrote:Amateur hour.

:snippity:

Just another quote, cause it highlights this 'tired man' meme:

In our social media-saturated environment, the South Korea vacuum led to a meme: #TillersonIsTired. It's something that might stick to the new secretary.

Here's what happened: On Friday, when Tillerson stopped in Seoul, the South Korean cable TV pundits griped about the new U.S. secretary of state opting not to have dinner with South Korean leaders. They compared his visit with Tillerson's earlier stop in Japan, where his meetings with the foreign minister were not only longer, he dined with Japanese leaders.

There was never a dinner with South Korean leaders on Tillerson's schedule. He left Seoul Saturday morning for Beijing, just as planned, and not a moment earlier. But the speculation by pundits led to a Korea Herald piece that used the word "shortened," in the context of shorter meetings than in Japan.

And there was an anonymously sourced line in the Korean media report that didn't help Tillerson much: "Seoul officials said the U.S. side opted not to have a meal together, citing the secretary's 'fatigue.'"

RTH10260

Post #1992 by RTH10260 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:48 am

Slim Cognito wrote:How does this tweet differ from KAC telling everyone to buy Ivanka? He's clearly telling people they should be watching Fox.

Not as bad, cause he only suggesting his larger numbers at Faux, not that they may be more reliable.

bob

Post #1993 by bob » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:05 pm

HuffPo: Trump’s ‘Wiretap’ Claims Are A Return To Those Old Birther Instincts:
Only this time, he’s managed to waste the time of important government officials.

All of this culminated in an interview with Fox News’ Tucker Carlson, which quickly became such an orgy of goalpost-moving that RedState’s Jay Caruso called it a “rambling mess.” That may be a charitable assessment! But Caruso makes some pretty keen observations, such as this one (emphasis mine):
This is where President Trump makes me nervous. He’s used the “Other people have said it” excuse for unfounded allegations he’s said before. For example, in the case of supposed voter fraud, he stated in an interview with ABC News, “lots of people are saying they saw things happen.” It’s as if he believes as long as he thinks somebody is levying an accusation of some kind, it’s safe for him to repeat it.

Do you recognize that impulse? I do, because it was central to Trump’s entire political identity. This is birtherism in another form, on another topic. And it’s the classic Trumpian version of the same. He’s glommed onto someone else’s crazy idea, retrofitted it to serve his ends, and is endeavoring mightily to stretch this insanity out for as long as he can ― and to claim what spare advantage he can ― as a distraction to cover his own shortcomings. The attempts to reverse-engineer reality, to constantly move the goalposts, and to refuse to acknowledge the truth ― that this is all just a rambling conspiracy theory wholly divorced from the rational world ― are the birther stock-in-trade. (You might also recall that Trump once promised that “investigators” he’d personally dispatched to Hawaii were always perpetually on the verge of some big, earth-shaking discovery.)

And that’s to say nothing of the birthers’ eternal drive to get someone else to do their work for them. Trump’s demand that Congress prove his allegations for him is a behavior that every reporter who’s had contact with someone from the birther movement will immediately recognize ― it’s always someone else’s responsibility to make sense of their lunacy.

Of course, Trump was never a true believer in the birther movement ― he was just an opportunistic dabbler. And even now, as Trump and his White House promise that there are revelations to come ― he alleges that “some very interesting items” will be “coming to the forefront over the next two weeks” ― I think I have a sense of how this will end: Trump will say the media started the Obama wiretap accusations, and that he “ended” them.

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

RTH10260

Post #1994 by RTH10260 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:55 pm

In China debut, Tillerson appears to hand Beijing a diplomatic victory

By Simon Denyer March 19 at 11:39 PM

BEIJING — While his boss was goading China over Twitter, new Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has been trying to build a constructive and “results-oriented” relationship with the leadership in Beijing.

but:

But some critics say Tillerson has bent too far, handing Beijing what Chinese news media reports are calling a “diplomatic victory.”

After meeting China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Saturday, Tillerson voiced Chinese catchphrases about the relationship, including the avoidance of conflict and confrontation and the need to build “mutual respect” and strive for “win-win” cooperation.

The phrase “mutual respect” is key: In Beijing, that is taken to mean each side should respect the other’s “core interests.”

In other words: The United States should stay away from issues such as Taiwan, Tibet and Hong Kong — and in principle almost anything China’s Communist Party deems a vital national security concern. Increasingly, that also appears to include China’s territorial claims in the contested waters of the South China Sea.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/in ... story.html

ETA. how to get the US into trouble, Teh Donalds way...
On the campaign trail last year, candidate Donald Trump pilloried China as a security threat and, particularly, a stealer of American jobs. On Friday, as Tillerson prepared to make his way to Beijing on the third leg of his Asian tour, Trump took to Twitter to criticize China for not helping rein in North Korea’s nuclear program.

Tillerson has almost certainly been pushing China hard on the North Korean issue behind closed doors. But in public, his tone has been much more measured, judging this to be a better way to save China’s face and gain its cooperation.

RTH10260

Post #1995 by RTH10260 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:57 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
:snippity:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/in ... story.html

Seems to me that T.Rex is missing the guiding hands of all the State Department specialists they kicked out.

Sam the Centipede

Post #1996 by Sam the Centipede » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:08 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
After meeting China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Saturday, Tillerson voiced Chinese catchphrases about the relationship, including the avoidance of conflict and confrontation and the need to build “mutual respect” and strive for “win-win” cooperation.

The phrase “mutual respect” is key: In Beijing, that is taken to mean each side should respect the other’s “core interests.”

In other words: The United States should stay away from issues such as Taiwan, Tibet and Hong Kong — and in principle almost anything China’s Communist Party deems a vital national security concern.

I understand the point being made, but does it really signify in the new Trumpian world? If an intelligent president (we used to have one a few months ago, remember him?) had used China's preferred phrase knowingly and after consultation with his own diplomats, then it would strongly suggest that the US team had accepted and agreed to China's attitude.

But Trumpistas just talk ill-advised and inconsistent lying crap all the time, and everybody around the world knows it by now. So a statement on one day is not a good indication of the view of Trump or his regime on another day, is it?

So I reckon China's rulers might well be heartened by Tillerson's poor choice of words, but they'd be unwise to place much weight on it.

Chilidog

Post #1997 by Chilidog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:25 pm

Trump always reminds me of this quote

Be very, very careful what you put into that head, because you’ll never, ever get it out.
--- Thomas Cardinal Wolsey

RTH10260

Post #1998 by RTH10260 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Sam the Centipede wrote:
RTH10260 wrote:
[size 150]In China debut, Tillerson appears to hand Beijing a diplomatic victory[ size]

I understand the point being made, but does it really signify in the new Trumpian world? If an intelligent president (we used to have one a few months ago, remember him?) had used China's preferred phrase knowingly and after consultation with his own diplomats, then it would strongly suggest that the US team had accepted and agreed to China's attitude.

But Trumpistas just talk ill-advised and inconsistent lying crap all the time, and everybody around the world knows it by now. So a statement on one day is not a good indication of the view of Trump or his regime on another day, is it?

So I reckon China's rulers might well be heartened by Tillerson's poor choice of words, but they'd be unwise to place much weight on it.

IMHO they may well be knowing of the mismatch across the language barrier, but when it serves them, they will press forward in establishing their semantics and hold the USA liable for any trouble that arises when they press their point. Expect some damaged boats or planes in the South China Sea.

RoadScholar

Post #1999 by RoadScholar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:05 pm

Chilidog wrote:Trump always reminds me of this quote

Be very, very careful what you put into that head, because you’ll never, ever get it out.

Disputed[edit]

"Be very, very careful what you put into that head, because you will never, ever get it out."
Attributed to Cardinal Wolsey by columnist George Will, a line that he says was "uttered about Henry VIII", as quoted in William A. Henry, In Defense of Elitism (Anchor Books, 1995), p. 45.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Thomas_Wolsey

Maybe yes, maybe no. Certainly works for the Orange Menace. More's the pity, not everything can be put in. Only the stuff he wants, which is usually wrong. :(

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Chilidog

Post #2000 by Chilidog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:33 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Chilidog wrote:Trump always reminds me of this quote

Disputed[edit]

"Be very, very careful what you put into that head, because you will never, ever get it out."
Attributed to Cardinal Wolsey by columnist George Will, a line that he says was "uttered about Henry VIII", as quoted in William A. Henry, In Defense of Elitism (Anchor Books, 1995), p. 45.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Thomas_Wolsey

Maybe yes, maybe no. Certainly works for the Orange Menace. More's the pity, not everything can be put in. Only the stuff he wants, which is usually wrong. :(

Wikipedia?

The quote was recounted by Wolsey's "gentleman usher" George Cavemdish in his book about the Cardinal

(The first modern biography in the English Language)

George Will did NOT originate that quote

https://archive.org/stream/lifeofcardin ... h_djvu.txt

Return to “Trump Administration”