President Trump

Foggy

Re: President Trump

Post #1951 by Foggy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:03 am

NYT:
Near the end of his meticulously formal, utterly impersonal news conference with Chancellor Angela Merkel, President Trump finally sought a sliver of common ground with his guest: They both, he said, had been wiretapped by former President Barack Obama.

What an asshole. He can't ever, ever, ever tell the truth. What a little piece of shit that man is. :smokeears:

Further affiant sayeth naught.

ZekeB

Post #1952 by ZekeB » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:09 am

pipistrelle wrote:People make fun of Sarah Palin for this kind of blathering.

More people saw Palin for the nutcase that she was. Unfortunately they didn't see this side of #45, despite it being on display before the election. Critical thinking is definitely not the forte of many Americans now a days.

TollandRCR

Post #1953 by TollandRCR » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:33 am

Some of us saw what DJT is long before he ran for the 2016 nomination. I wrote about it here. Among many others, I insisted that the priority for the Democratic Party must be to defeat him. I believe that had that been the priority, the campaign might have been very different. HRC might have gone back to Wisconsin, and she might have had a rally in Sterling Heights, not in Grand Rapids.

God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty. First Corinthians 1:27 AKJV

pipistrelle

Post #1954 by pipistrelle » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:53 am

Foggy wrote:NYT:
Near the end of his meticulously formal, utterly impersonal news conference with Chancellor Angela Merkel, President Trump finally sought a sliver of common ground with his guest: They both, he said, had been wiretapped by former President Barack Obama.

What an asshole. He can't ever, ever, ever tell the truth. What a little piece of shit that man is. :smokeears:

I get how angry that makes people here. But what appalls me is that millions of Americans think this is okay, normal, and even great. I worry about them as much as I worry about their figurehead. I do not understand their choices or their motivations. And it's not all "rural poverty," etc. Some of the ones I know personally are urban, fairly well off, in stable jobs, etc. And still angry about something, they know not what.

TollandRCR

Post #1955 by TollandRCR » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:51 am

This is The Donald in 2008 standing in front of his mother's ancestral home. It is estimated that he spent 97 seconds inside the home. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-38648877

God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty. First Corinthians 1:27 AKJV

NMgirl

Post #1956 by NMgirl » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:57 am

This morning on Twitter:
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 28m28 minutes ago

"Despite what you have heard from the FAKE NEWS, I had a GREAT meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel. Nevertheless, Germany owes.....
...vast sums of money to NATO & the United States must be paid more for the powerful, and very expensive, defense it provides to Germany!"

Jesus wept.

Chilidog

Post #1957 by Chilidog » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:20 am

What an asshole.

Volkonski

Post #1958 by Volkonski » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:33 am

NMgirl wrote:This morning on Twitter:

"Despite what you have heard from the FAKE NEWS, I had a GREAT meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel. Nevertheless, Germany owes.....
...vast sums of money to NATO & the United States must be paid more for the powerful, and very expensive, defense it provides to Germany!"

Jesus wept.

Germany should make the US pay more for its bases on strategically located German soil. ;)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Skip Intro

Post #1959 by Skip Intro » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:06 am

One major characteristic of the current administration is its deep and abiding terror of expertise in general, and outside expertise in particular. - Charles Pierce

TollandRCR

Post #1960 by TollandRCR » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:16 am

We have to work to understand why some people are so angry. I will try to post some relevant materials tomorrow. We do know something from current research.

listeme

Post #1961 by listeme » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:22 pm

I know why people are angry.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

pipistrelle

Post #1962 by pipistrelle » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:27 pm

listeme wrote:I know why people are angry.

Not everyone is angry for the same reasons. And I know some of it stems from racism, admitted or not.

pipistrelle

Post #1963 by pipistrelle » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:28 pm

Volkonski wrote:

Jesus wept.

Germany should make the US pay more for its bases on strategically located German soil. ;)

I didn't hear anything from FAKE NEWS, but I sure saw an awkward-as-Hades video.

Dandelion

Post #1964 by Dandelion » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:19 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Foggy wrote:NYT:

I get how angry that makes people here. But what appalls me is that millions of Americans think this is okay, normal, and even great. I worry about them as much as I worry about their figurehead. I do not understand their choices or their motivations. And it's not all "rural poverty," etc. Some of the ones I know personally are urban, fairly well off, in stable jobs, etc. And still angry about something, they know not what.

Perhaps the better off urban ones are still upset about the black guy becoming president. How dare he?

RTH10260

Post #1965 by RTH10260 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Jesus wept.

Hint: Germany intends to pay more, but towards the NATO, not directly into US pockets (who will be relieved by the same amount).

RTH10260

Post #1966 by RTH10260 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:13 pm

RTH10260 wrote:German chancellor Andrea Merkel visits the WH

awkward to say the least, this (also posted in a different thread) the non-handshake

To be nice with Teh Donald, maybe he has not yet absorbed diplomatic etiquette, as was also seen when the Japanese prime minister had to nudge him to the handshake. The State Department would have liked to assist in the learning phase, but all their leading staff have been kicked out. Also too, it speaks not well for Teh Donalds diplomatic capacities, even when one holds a personal grudge against the guest, in the case of one of the best allies one shows appreciation to the nation with the handshake. IMHO the missing guesture exposes one nasty trait of Trump,eg he cannot put his own feelings behind the job he asked for. I fear very much that this emotion of his may take a nasty turn when a stern poker face were needed. Trump will at one time in near future make a public ass of himself and the nation and offend his opposite. It will not make America look great then.

TollandRCR

Post #1967 by TollandRCR » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:44 pm

Isn't Trump like Howard Hughes was reported to be: deathly afraid of germs and thus deathly afraid of physical contacts?

pipistrelle

Post #1968 by pipistrelle » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:49 pm

TollandRCR wrote:Isn't Trump like Howard Hughes was reported to be: deathly afraid of germs and thus deathly afraid of physical contacts?

He just about ripped his Japanese visitor's arm off, so I'd say no.

RoadScholar

Post #1969 by RoadScholar » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:52 pm

That's the first time I've ever heard "being an asshole" described as having "not yet absorbed diplomatic etiquette."

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

RTH10260

Post #1970 by RTH10260 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:00 pm

RoadScholar wrote:That's the first time I've ever heard "being an asshole" described as having "not yet absorbed diplomatic etiquette."

I guess I was showing off my efforts in diplomacy ;)

RoadScholar

Post #1971 by RoadScholar » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:09 pm

And well said as such. But you may as well use the ruder term, since it's not hyperbole.

He is an asshole to his wife. He is an asshole to his subordinates. He has been an asshole to the press. He has been an asshole to important heads of state. And if you caught him telling the truth for once, he would very likely admit it. Hell, he'd be pround of it. "Only losers are nice guys," he'd say, or words to that effect.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

SueDB

Post #1972 by SueDB » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:28 pm

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.”
? William Gibson

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

RTH10260

Post #1973 by RTH10260 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:32 pm

G20 finance chiefs fail to renew anti-protectionist pledge after US opposition

Euronews video transcript
► Show Spoiler

RTH10260

Post #1974 by RTH10260 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Person in custody after incident at White House gates: Secret Service

One person was in custody after a suspicious vehicle drove up to a White House checkpoint on Saturday night, the Secret Service said, after CNN reported that the driver claimed to have a bomb.

CNN, citing two law enforcement sources, said there was no confirmation of any device in the vehicle but that security at the White House had been upgraded.

The Secret Service said an unidentified driver was taken into custody after a suspicious vehicle approached a checkpoint, but made no mention of any claims of an explosive device.

Several streets around the White House were closed.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-s ... SKBN16Q04Q

RTH10260

Post #1975 by RTH10260 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:04 pm

Tillerson ends China trip with warm words from President Xi

With warm words from Chinese President Xi Jinping on Sunday, U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson ended his first trip to Asia since taking office with an agreement to work together with China on North Korea and putting aside trickier issues.

China has been irritated at being repeatedly told by Washington to rein in North Korea's nuclear and missile programs and the U.S. decision to base an advanced missile defense system in South Korea.

Beijing is also deeply suspicious of U.S. intentions toward self-ruled Taiwan, which China claims as its own, with the Trump administration crafting a big new arms package for the island that is bound to anger China.

But meeting in Beijing's Great Hall of the People, those issues were brushed aside by Xi and Tillerson, at least in front of reporters, with Xi saying Tillerson had made a lot of efforts to achieve a smooth transition in a new era of relations.

"You said that China-U.S. relations can only be friendly. I express my appreciation for this," Xi said
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tille ... SKBN16Q038

Return to “Trump Administration”