President Trump

MN-Skeptic

President Trump

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:07 pm

Ok, a meteorite did not strike him down and the Bible did not burst into flames. :crying:

I propose this thread for general stuff Trump does as President. I'm sure there will be plenty of other threads for individual scandals and controversies.

Mikedunford

Re: President Trump - ShitGibbon-in-Chief

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:13 pm

I get that I'm not likely to get a lot of support on this, but - is the second half of the title necessary?

I spent a lot of the last eight years royally pissed off at all the Obummer and Obozo and similar bullshit that was being thrown around by the right. I'd like to think that we can oppose the shit out of POTUS and his new policies without having to do the same kind of thing. It really makes me uncomfortable to see it here.
I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Howard_Kahn

Post by Howard_Kahn » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:17 pm

Mikedunford wrote:I get that I'm not likely to get a lot of support on this, but - is the second half of the title necessary?

I spent a lot of the last eight years royally pissed off at all the Obummer and Obozo and similar bullshit that was being thrown around by the right. I'd like to think that we can oppose the shit out of POTUS and his new policies without having to do the same kind of thing. It really makes me uncomfortable to see it here.
You got support from me. It immediately takes away credibility from the thread.
Me, I'm getting my cheap labor overseas. You. You pay your non-skilled labor $15 per hour.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Mikedunford wrote:I get that I'm not likely to get a lot of support on this, but - is the second half of the title necessary?

:like: :yeah: :like:

I didn't vote for him, but he's my president and I hope he does a good job.
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

MN-Skeptic

Re: President Trump

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Can I at least call him Tweeter-In-Chief?

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:23 pm

I have zero confidence the next four years will be anything but a clusterfuck of epic proportions, I will never release that wonderful sobriquet from my vocabulary, but for the sake of decorum and internet cred, I would agree.

We need at least a day to mourn, though.
Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:25 pm

Thanks for the change of title.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:31 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:Can I at least call him Tweeter-In-Chief?
Thank you for the title change.
I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:34 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:Can I at least call him Tweeter-In-Chief?
My rule of thumb is how would I feel if a birther said it about President Obama? (If the situation were reversed) "Tweeter-In-Chief", given President Trump's1 penchant for the Twitter machine, seems reasonable to me for more informal usages, but things like the title of a thread should show respect to the office. The right has shown for 8 years that they are poor losers, now they are showing themselves to be poor winners as well. I think the left should seize this opportunity to break the cycle, not to follow the precedents that the Republicans and the rest of the right have established.

Thanks for showing that we're better than the mindless partisanism that led to this point MN-Skeptic!
:thumbs:

• 1. Yes, I just threw up in my mouth a little. :sick:
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."

bob

Post by bob » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:41 pm

I've always been a fan of just using the person's name, for clarity. Save the insults for the actual insult. ;)

I'm also not a big fan of titles. I wrote "President Obama" only to irk birthers. :evil:
Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Sluffy1

Post by Sluffy1 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:48 pm

the last eight years royally pissed off at all the Obummer and Obozo and similar bullshit that was being thrown around by the right.
Well yeah, that's the reason they were saying Obummer and Obozo and similar bullshit.

So, let us be nice, PC and show respect and not call him names so we don't offend any deplorables.
Is Minority President Trump PC?

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:52 pm

bob wrote:I've always been a fan of just using the person's name, for clarity. Save the insults for the actual insult. ;)

I'm also not a big fan of titles. I wrote "President Obama" only to irk birthers. :evil:
I've always tried to use the title "President" ever since I saw a certain West Wing episode, but I think the important thing is to be consistent. There are however, a couple of exceptions (Dick the War Criminal and Dick the Crook), but President Trump will have to earn that disrespect via his actions in office. I can totally understand your inconsistency in response to birthers, though.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:53 pm

Those who abused and ridiculed Obama, who talked about "watering the tree of liberty" and "second amendment solutions" need to get a taste of how it feels to be on the receiving end of that behavior for a while.

But it doesn't have to be in a thread title. Agreed.

Except... how are we supposed to wish him well, to hope he does a good job, when he and the Republicans have signaled that they are not going to do exactly what they lambasted us for not doing: representing all of the people. When they are in the process of destroying many of the things we--- and in fact, a majority of the public--- hold dear? They are set to ram an extremist, minority agenda up our collecting noses.

How do you even try to work with that? Seriously, how?
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Animal Mother

Post by Animal Mother » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:54 pm

Well, I think that Trump is going to be a terrible president.

But I try to look on the bright side. He's likely better than Pence would be. And maybe once in awhile Trump will throw us a bone and reign in the Congressional leadership. Now those are some folks that are really reactionary and scary.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:55 pm

I really adore Michelle Obama. I will keep in mind her "When they go low, we go high."

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:57 pm

APOLOGIES FOR THE SIZE

Via BoingBoing:
15978080_10209338236911849_2598071649741720042_n.jpg
Stolen from Twitter:
C2oa3Q6WgAEKXfe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:22 pm

RoadScholar wrote:Those who abused and ridiculed Obama, who talked about "watering the tree of liberty" and "second amendment solutions" need to get a taste of how it feels to be on the receiving end of that behavior for a while.

Except... how are we supposed to wish him well, to hope he does a good job, when he and the Republicans have signaled that they are not going to do exactly what they lambasted us for not doing: representing all of the people. They are in the process of destroying many of the things we--- and in fact, a majority of the public--- hold dear? They are set to ram an extremist, minority agenda up our collecting noses.

I think that there are two main responses that need to happen: articulate a clear alternative (which should be what the entire Democratic party campaigns on in the future) and hold them accountable for the effects of their policies. In other words, make it about integrity and the merits of policies.

I understand the desire for those who disrespected President Obama, the country, and rational discussion to get their comeuppance, but it is far more important, in my opinion, to simply marginalize them by providing an example that makes them look petty and inane. Why would I want to emulate them in any way?

In any case, we need to build something and lay the groundwork for 2018 and 2020---momentum for wave elections needs time and nurturing to grow.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
RoadScholar wrote:Those who abused and ridiculed Obama, who talked about "watering the tree of liberty" and "second amendment solutions" need to get a taste of how it feels to be on the receiving end of that behavior for a while.

Except... how are we supposed to wish him well, to hope he does a good job, when he and the Republicans have signaled that they are not going to do exactly what they lambasted us for not doing: representing all of the people. They are in the process of destroying many of the things we--- and in fact, a majority of the public--- hold dear? They are set to ram an extremist, minority agenda up our collecting noses.

I think that there are two main responses that need to happen: articulate a clear alternative (which should be what the entire Democratic party campaigns on in the future) and hold them accountable for the effects of their policies. In other words, make it about integrity and the merits of policies.

I understand the desire for those who disrespected President Obama, the country, and rational discussion to get their comeuppance, but it is far more important, in my opinion, to simply marginalize them by providing an example that makes them look petty and inane. Why would I want to emulate them in any way?

In any case, we need to build something and lay the groundwork for 2018 and 2020---momentum for wave elections needs time and nurturing to grow.
:yeah:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:33 pm

Right now the United States has no ambassadors. Anywhere.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:38 pm

So you're discounting the Golden Rule Dope Slap? When people get their own behavior returned to them, and they can now see how it feels and maybe re-think doing it in the first place?

For example: I have (and will again) interjected into conversations with Right Wingers, "Well, you know, it's a good thing we still have those 'second amendment solutions,' like Sarah Palin talked about."

After I let them sputter a bit, I tell them "I wasn't serious... I in no way support violence against people in government, or anywhere. But how did it feel? That moment when someone implied a hypothetical assassination of your president, just like your guys did to ours?"

The Golden Rule sometimes needs a mirror.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:51 pm

Trump steals image from Obama inauguration for his Twitter banner. Samantha Bee fixes it for him.

If thoughts and prayers weren’t free, nobody would offer them.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:55 pm

RoadScholar wrote:So you're discounting the Golden Rule Dope Slap? When people get their own behavior returned to them, and they can now see how it feels and maybe re-think doing it in the first place?

For example: I have (and will again) interjected into conversations with Right Wingers, "Well, you know, it's a good thing we still have those 'second amendment solutions,' like Sarah Palin talked about."

After I let them sputter a bit, I tell them "I wasn't serious... I in no way support violence against people in government, or anywhere. But how did it feel? That moment when someone implied a hypothetical assassination of your president, just like your guys did to ours?"

Which in no way denigrates or baselessly disrespects anyone---it just shines a light on the hypocrisy. However, if you're giving them a taste of the disgusting behavior the birthers and their ilk have shown, the conversations will never get to that point, will they? Honestly, I think you just proved my point and that you are better than them at the same time. Nyah-nyah!

:towel:

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:55 pm

RoadScholar wrote:So you're discounting the Golden Rule Dope Slap? When people get their own behavior returned to them, and they can now see how it feels and maybe re-think doing it in the first place?

I strongly doubt that very many people will recognize themselves without assistance, which typically requires a one-on-one discussion.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:56 pm

If thoughts and prayers weren’t free, nobody would offer them.

noblepa

Post by noblepa » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:01 pm

The trouble is, those people will never see or understand the hypocrisy. They will merely see your use of the phrase "second amendment solutions" as proof that that is the correct way to engage in political discourse. "Everybody does it".

Return to “Trump Administration”