President Trump

Pompeed

Re: President Trump

Post #3026 by Pompeed » Wed May 17, 2017 9:36 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Skip Intro wrote:Deep thoughts from the president at the Coast Guard graduation ceremony.

“Distant shores, & some of those shores are very far away”

Did Teh Donald just happen to read something, get his hands on Bushisms ?

Alternative: he thinks the graduates, who live their professional lives on or near the sea, would not know that some shores are "very far away." Just one of his usual methods of proving that he knows everything about everything and he knows it "better" than everyone else.

Probably been no closer to a "blue water" experience than a bathtub.

Dan1100

Post #3027 by Dan1100 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 pm

In the spirit of kicking someone while they are down, two new Flynnghazi related stories just came out. I searched for a Flynn specific thread, but didn't find one, so if this is in the wrong place feel free to move it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/us/p ... viser.html

Trump Team Knew Flynn Was Under Investigation Before He Came to White House

WASHINGTON — Michael T. Flynn told President Trump’s transition team weeks before the inauguration that he was under federal investigation for secretly working as a paid lobbyist for Turkey during the campaign, according to two people familiar with the case.

Despite this warning, which came about a month after the Justice Department notified Mr. Flynn of the inquiry, Mr. Trump made Mr. Flynn his national security adviser. The job gave Mr. Flynn access to the president and nearly every secret held by American intelligence agencies.

Mr. Flynn’s disclosure, on Jan. 4, was first made to the transition team’s chief lawyer, Donald F. McGahn II, who is now the White House counsel. That conversation, and another one two days later between Mr. Flynn’s lawyer and transition lawyers, shows that the Trump team knew about the investigation of Mr. Flynn far earlier than has been previously reported.

His legal issues have been a problem for the White House from the beginning and are at the center of a growing political crisis for Mr. Trump. Mr. Flynn, who was fired after 24 days in the job, was initially kept on even after the acting attorney general, Sally Q. Yates, warned the White House that he might be subject to blackmail by the Russians for misleading Vice President Mike Pence about the nature of conversations he had with the Russian ambassador to Washington.

and

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politic ... 49647.html

Flynn stopped military plan Turkey opposed – after being paid as its agent

One of the Trump administration’s first decisions about the fight against the Islamic State was made by Michael Flynn weeks before he was fired – and it conformed to the wishes of Turkey, whose interests, unbeknownst to anyone in Washington, he’d been paid more than $500,000 to represent.

The decision came 10 days before Donald Trump had been sworn in as president, in a conversation with President Barack Obama’s national security adviser, Susan Rice, who had explained the Pentagon’s plan to retake the Islamic State’s de facto capital of Raqqa with Syrian Kurdish forces whom the Pentagon considered the U.S.’s most effective military partners. Obama’s national security team had decided to ask for Trump’s sign-off, since the plan would all but certainly be executed after Trump had become president.

Flynn didn’t hesitate. According to timelines distributed by members of Congress in the weeks since, Flynn told Rice to hold off, a move that would delay the military operation for months.

If Flynn explained his answer, that’s not recorded, and it’s not known whether he consulted anyone else on the transition team before rendering his verdict. But his position was consistent with the wishes of Turkey, which had long opposed the United States partnering with the Kurdish forces – and which was his undeclared client.

Trump eventually would approve the Raqqa plan, but not until weeks after Flynn had been fired.

Pompeed

Post #3028 by Pompeed » Wed May 17, 2017 9:48 pm

Suranis wrote:Funny that this security breach happened when there was no-one there to record it but the Russians, and their press, isn't it?

McMaster says he was in the room.

But unless someone on the staff -- like McMaster or Trump -- were making an audio tape, it appears as if the only record of what was said is in the hands of the Russians and, as someone else has noticed, subject to, well, "errors and omissions" of negligent or intentional types.

Putin will be happy to provide what he has in support of the Orange Shit Gibbon who launders money for him.

RVInit

Post #3029 by RVInit » Wed May 17, 2017 10:04 pm

I wonder which Republicans are working behind to scenes to obtain a "transcript" from the Russians. :twisted:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Skip Intro

Post #3030 by Skip Intro » Wed May 17, 2017 10:26 pm

I'm sure Wikileaks will be providing one any moment now, direct to Fox of course.

One major characteristic of the current administration is its deep and abiding terror of expertise in general, and outside expertise in particular. - Charles Pierce

pipistrelle

Post #3031 by pipistrelle » Thu May 18, 2017 6:31 am

RVInit wrote:I wonder which Republicans are working behind to scenes to obtain a "transcript" from the Russians. :twisted:

It's interesting how many on Twitter don't trust Comey, the FBI, American intelligence, or Democrats, but are happy that Putin is going to provide a transcript because he's so gol-darned trustworthy.

Lani

Post #3032 by Lani » Thu May 18, 2017 6:36 am

Amazing, isn't it? And fundie church leaders praise Putin as the defender of Christianity.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Slim Cognito

Post #3033 by Slim Cognito » Thu May 18, 2017 7:15 am

Do we have a Pence thread, or a 2020 thread? If so, I'll move this.

Untitled.png

And the link.

https://t.co/Uw84rlbGK1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ZekeB

Post #3034 by ZekeB » Thu May 18, 2017 7:47 am

Lani wrote:Amazing, isn't it? And fundie church leaders praise Putin as the defender of Christianity.

If there's any Christianity in Russia it's probably Orthodox. Not quite Roman Catholic, but no doubt resembling Roman Catholicism more than a fundy would like.

HeatherGray

Post #3035 by HeatherGray » Thu May 18, 2017 7:54 am

ZekeB wrote:
Lani wrote:Amazing, isn't it? And fundie church leaders praise Putin as the defender of Christianity.

If there's any Christianity in Russia it's probably Orthodox. Not quite Roman Catholic, but no doubt resembling Roman Catholicism more than a fundy would like.

But my understanding is that they hate the gays, so it's all good from a fundie point of view.

Lani

Post #3036 by Lani » Thu May 18, 2017 7:57 am

How Russia Became the Leader of the Global Christian Right
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... ght-214755

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #3037 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 18, 2017 11:52 am

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politic ... 49702.html

Extra long article about Flynn, Turkey and Turkey's opposition to Obama military plan.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

MsDaisy

Post #3038 by MsDaisy » Thu May 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Putting it all together like this does not paint a pretty picture

'What does Flynn have on Trump?': Flynn indicated he had a story to tell — and Trump has been eager to defend him

President Donald Trump hired Michael Flynn to be his national security adviser even after Flynn informed Trump's transition team that he was being investigated by the FBI over his lobbying work for Turkey, The New York Times reported Wednesday.

The revelation is just the latest in a series of controversies related to Flynn's work on behalf of foreign agents. They include a $33,000 payment from Russia's state-owned news network in 2015, which he failed to disclose on security clearance forms last year.

It also furthers questions about why Trump was so determined to bring Flynn into his Cabinet and overlook his considerable baggage, which included including a falling out with the Defense Intelligence Agency and his lobbying work for a Dutch firm linked to Turkey's government throughout the end of 2016. Trump has reportedly stayed in contact with Flynn, urging him to "stay strong" in a private message in April, according to Yahoo News.

"Trump's team knew about [Flynn's] ties to Russia and they knew about his work with Turkey," said Rep. Eric Swalwell, a Democrat who sits on the House Intelligence Committee. "What's most concerning is that it looks like they just didn't care. So you have to ask yourself — were Flynn's prior relationships an asset?"

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-did- ... key-2017-5

Birfers are toast

Whatever4

Post #3039 by Whatever4 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:40 pm

Army vet goes in on Sheriff Clarke's toy uniform with its novelty pins

It’s hard to say whether or not Milwaukee’s failed Sheriff David Clarke is or is not the next assistant deputy secretary of Homeland Security, as reports are mixed—Clarke says he accepts the job while the White House says nothing is official. The one thing we know about Sheriff Clarke is that a man died of dehydration in one of his jails after being denied water for seven days while awaiting a psych evaluation. We also know that Clarke is probably a sham of a fraud of a charlatan of a person, as is virtually everyone connected to unpopular President Trump. If you’ve ever seen Clarke you know he likes to keep a very pristine and authoritative style. Shiny cowboy hats and uniforms. When he speaks at big conservative rallies he also loves to put on a ton of important looking “medals.” Charles Clymer is an Army veteran and yesterday he voiced a rant on something that many of us have been annoyed by but in no position to really know—what’s the deal with all those “decorations?”

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/5/ ... velty-pins

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

GreatGrey

Post #3040 by GreatGrey » Thu May 18, 2017 5:30 pm

If you're "of a certain age" and it seems like you've heard this all before, you have.

B7B2C110-25F8-4539-B4A8-6F7E03FDC96E.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

GreatGrey

Post #3041 by GreatGrey » Thu May 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Donald Trump wrote:"Look at the way I have been treated lately, especially by the media," he said. "No politician in history, and I say this with great surety,has been treated worse or more unfairly. You can't let them get you down, you can't let the critics and the naysayers get in the way of your dreams."

Julius Caesar might disagree.

That guy on the far right --- Sterny.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Mikedunford

Post #3042 by Mikedunford » Thu May 18, 2017 6:38 pm

GreatGrey wrote:
Donald Trump wrote:That guy on the far right --- Sterny.

No way.

► Show Spoiler

1 Cranch 137, 177

Skip Intro

Post #3043 by Skip Intro » Thu May 18, 2017 7:14 pm

One major characteristic of the current administration is its deep and abiding terror of expertise in general, and outside expertise in particular. - Charles Pierce

stoppingby

Post #3044 by stoppingby » Thu May 18, 2017 7:22 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
RTH10260 wrote:Say goodbye to your US natural heritage, and to the local and international tourism industry

Trump to issue new order calling into question two decades of national monument designations

By Juliet Eilperin April 24 at 5:16 PM

President Trump will sign an executive order Wednesday instructing the Interior Department to review national monument designations his three predecessors have made over the past 21 years, according to administration officials and GOP lawmakers, a move that could upend protections that previous presidents have put in place in Utah and elsewhere across the country.

Presidents of both parties have invoked their executive authority under the 1906 Antiquities Act to provide safeguards for federal lands and waters. But some of these moves — including Barack Obama’s designation of the 1.35 million-acre Bears Ears National Monument in December and Bill Clinton’s 1996 declaration of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, both in Utah, have sparked fierce criticism from Republicans.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... ignations/

The Wilderness Society posted a listed of targeted monuments (Bears Ears and Gold Butte among them). Supposedly there will be a comment period.

https://wilderness.org/blog/update-thes ... -targeting

Links to the Department of Interior page. Motto is: "Protecting America's Great Outdoors and Powering Our Future"

Here is the link if anyone wants to comment - they are only giving people until May 26, 2017 to comment on Bears Ears, and later for the other monuments. I've commented, I hope others will do so also. (Even if you aren't a tree hugger, its a great way to piss off a Bundy, since Gold Butte is in the mix!)

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0002-0001

And, if I may make a gentle suggestion to the mods, it would be nice if there could be a thread to post links to petitions and comment opportunities that are near and dear to the hearts of Fogbowers. I looked for awhile trying to figure out where to post this link, until I found this post. I am more inclined to sign petitions etc. if they are promoted by people whose thoughtfulness and intelligence I respect, and I have a lot of respect for the fogbow folks. It would help me, and other busy progressives who lurk on this board, to find causes that are important to support, as opposed to my facebook page, which is inundated with posts and shares by some of my more histrionic friends, who tend to share first and read later (or never). Thanks!

Chilidog

Post #3045 by Chilidog » Fri May 19, 2017 7:25 am

The House Science Committee sent Trump a letter calling him a moron.

https://beyer.house.gov/uploadedfiles/ostp.pdf

LOL

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #3046 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri May 19, 2017 8:23 am

Chilidog wrote:The House Science Committee sent Trump a letter calling him a moron.

https://beyer.house.gov/uploadedfiles/ostp.pdf

LOL

:thumbs:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RVInit

Post #3047 by RVInit » Fri May 19, 2017 9:30 am

Comey prepared extensively for his conversations with Trump

FBI Director James B. Comey prepared extensively for his discussions with President Trump, out of concern that the president was unlikely to respect the legal and ethical boundaries governing their respective roles, according to associates of the now-fired FBI chief.

The associates recounted how worried Comey was about meeting with Trump and recalled conversations in which they brainstormed how to handle moments in which the president asked for details of an investigation.

One associate referred to Comey’s preparation as a kind of “murder board” — a phrase used to describe a committee of questioners that hurls tough questions at someone as practice for a difficult oral examination.

“He was pretty insistent that he would have to find a way to politically not answer it,” one associate recalled. “He was confident that he was not going to sacrifice the independence of the investigation, or his own moral compass, but at the same time, he would not try to purposely inflame his commander in chief.”

The president abruptly fired Comey on May 9, raising questions about whether he was attempting to interfere in the ongoing FBI probe into possible coordination between Trump associates and Russian operatives seeking to meddle in last year’s presidential election.

more...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 864a38d44f

--- George W Bush

RVInit

Post #3048 by RVInit » Fri May 19, 2017 9:35 am

The worst job in Washington right now: Working for Trump
As Donald Trump has grown increasingly angry and frustrated with his White House staff, the beleaguered targets of his ire have a quietly roiling gripe of their own — their boss, the president himself.

Since he fired FBI Director James B. Comey, Trump has lurched through crises of his own making — from the explosive report Monday that he had revealed highly classified intelligence to Russian officials to the bombshell Tuesday that he had urged Comey to end the federal investigation into Michael Flynn, his former national security ­adviser.
:snippity:
Some White House staffers have turned to impeachment gallows humor. Other mid-level aides have started contacting consultants, shopping their résumés. And at least one senior staffer has begun privately talking to friends about what a post-White House job would look like, according to two people close to the staffer.
:snippity:
White House officials are particularly worried about the news this week that Comey wrote meticulous memos about conversations he had with Trump — including one in which Comey says Trump requested that he end his investigation of Flynn, according to two people in close contact with administration officials. Aides realize that the White House has squandered its credibility and will have difficulty pushing back against the latest allegations, one of the people said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 8f0bc7f6d9

--- George W Bush

Chilidog

Post #3049 by Chilidog » Fri May 19, 2017 9:57 am

Republican pundit, Rick Wilson, just went on Laurence O'Donnell's show on MSNBC and called Trump: "Rip shit Bonkers."

:thumbs:

As you can imagine, #ripshitbonkers is trending.

RVInit

Post #3050 by RVInit » Fri May 19, 2017 11:00 am

A searchable running total of Trump fact checks. Pretty cool.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... e12ba328c1

--- George W Bush

Return to “Trump Administration”