President Trump

bob

Re: President Trump

Post #3001 by bob » Wed May 17, 2017 6:17 pm

ABC: Robert Mueller appointed special counsel to oversee probe into Russia's interference in 2016 election:
The United States Department of Justice has announced that a special counsel has been appointed to investigate Russian interference into last year's presidential election.

Former FBI Director Robert Mueller has been assigned by Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein to "oversee the previously-confirmed FBI investigation of Russian government efforts to influence the 2016 presidential election, and related matters."

In a statement, Rosenstein said, "My decision is not a finding that crimes have been committed or that any prosecution is warranted. I have made no such determination. What I have determined is that based upon the unique circumstances, the public interest requires me to place this investigation under the authority of a person who exercises a degree of independence from the normal chain of command."

"Special Counsel Mueller will have all appropriate resources to conduct a thorough and complete investigation, and I am confident that he will follow the facts, apply the law and reach a just result," said Rosenstein in the statement.

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

TollandRCR

Post #3002 by TollandRCR » Wed May 17, 2017 6:23 pm

I like this. Any reason not to like it?

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

listeme

Post #3003 by listeme » Wed May 17, 2017 6:31 pm

TollandRCR wrote:I like this. Any reason not to like it?

Same.

And same question.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Slartibartfast

Post #3004 by Slartibartfast » Wed May 17, 2017 6:32 pm

I was wondering the same thing. I guess we'll have to see where it leads.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Dan1100

Post #3005 by Dan1100 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:34 pm

From Twitter. Maybe Trump's head will explode.

Jonathan Karl‏Verified account @jonkarl 22m22 minutes ago
The White House was blinded by the Special Counsel announcement -- given only about a 30-minute heads up

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

much ado

Post #3006 by much ado » Wed May 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Dan1100 wrote:From Twitter. Maybe Trump's head will explode.
The White House was blinded by the Special Counsel announcement -- given only about a 30-minute heads up

Poor Mr. Trump. I feel so sorry for him. :boxing:

Dan1100

Post #3007 by Dan1100 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:39 pm

Link to actual order.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3486733 ... al-Counsel

It is pretty broad (I can't cut and paste from scribe or I would have quoted it).

edit: Found a jpeg

special.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

bob

Post #3008 by bob » Wed May 17, 2017 6:44 pm

28 CFR sec. 600.4(a):
The jurisdiction of a Special Counsel shall be established by the Attorney General. The Special Counsel will be provided with a specific factual statement of the matter to be investigated. The jurisdiction of a Special Counsel shall also include the authority to investigate and prosecute federal crimes committed in the course of, and with intent to interfere with, the Special Counsel's investigation, such as perjury, obstruction of justice, destruction of evidence, and intimidation of witnesses; and to conduct appeals arising out of the matter being investigated and/or prosecuted.

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Mikedunford

Post #3009 by Mikedunford » Wed May 17, 2017 6:46 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. I guess we'll have to see where it leads.

It's a Joe Biden saying kind of thing.

1 Cranch 137, 177

RTH10260

Post #3010 by RTH10260 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:00 pm

Skip Intro wrote:Deep thoughts from the president at the Coast Guard graduation ceremony.

“Distant shores, & some of those shores are very far away”

Did Teh Donald just happen to read something, get his hands on Bushisms ?

much ado

Post #3011 by much ado » Wed May 17, 2017 7:03 pm

Dan1100 wrote:Link to actual order.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3486733 ... al-Counsel

It is pretty broad (I can't cut and paste from scribe or I would have quoted it).

This is Donald Trump's worst nightmare, or a close facsimile thereof. :thumbs:

I wonder if he will have anything to say (tweet) about this development? :think:

RTH10260

Post #3012 by RTH10260 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Lani wrote:So this happened during Erdogan's visit. I bet Trump is jealous.

Blake Hounshell @blakehounshell

This is INSANE. Erdogan’s goons rough up Kurdish protesters ON EMBASSY ROW, as D.C. cops valiantly try to stop them.
Amerika'nın Sesi @VOATurkish

#Erdoğan'ın korumaları kavgaya karıştı (link: http://ow.ly/U23u30bMRLv) [url]ow.ly/U23u30bMRLv[/url] #amerikaninses

It has happened on earlier visits too. The Turkish secret service staffers don't respect US freedoms even on public ground.

ZekeB

Post #3013 by ZekeB » Wed May 17, 2017 7:06 pm

Dan1100 wrote:From Twitter. Maybe Trump's head will explode.

Blindsided. Just like Comey.

RTH10260

Post #3014 by RTH10260 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:09 pm

Skip Intro wrote:

Yeah - 9 days without a golf course must be hard, how about doing some governing work instead?

PS. why don't people call him out on his stamina claim ?

Slim Cognito

Post #3015 by Slim Cognito » Wed May 17, 2017 7:12 pm

It's been a long time and I've slept since then. Do we like Muller? Not do we love him, but is he palatable to those of us who want a real investigation, as opposed to a Nunes style investigation?

Kendra

Post #3016 by Kendra » Wed May 17, 2017 7:24 pm

bob wrote:
Kendra wrote:Isn't he one of those CSPOA guys?

But of course.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... _fb_maddow
Just a few weeks ago, Americans learned that Sheriff David Clarke’s jail in Milwaukee kept water from a mentally ill inmate for days, until the man died of “profound dehydration.”

Now, however, Donald Trump’s administration has decided to reward David Clarke with a promotion.

Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. will leave office next month to accept a federal appointment as an assistant secretary in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

He will work in the department’s Office of Partnership and Engagement as a liaison with state, local and tribal law enforcement and governments. ”I’m looking forward to joining that team,” Clarke said Thursday afternoon on the Vicki McKenna talk show on 1130 WISN Radio.

Even if a bipartisan majority in the Senate were to conclude that Clarke is dangerously unhinged, and should be kept far away from any federal responsibilities, it wouldn’t matter – because as Politico recently noted, the position Clarke is taking “does not require Senate confirmation.”

If you’re not familiar with Clarke, his career, or his political activism, it’s worth appreciating the fact that he’s not a typical American sheriff.

Kendra

Post #3017 by Kendra » Wed May 17, 2017 7:31 pm

I have no idea where to post this. Do we need a ***BREAKING NEWS DONALD TRUMP*** thread?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... c933500244

KIEV, Ukraine — A month before Donald Trump clinched the Republican nomination, one of his closest allies in Congress — House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy — made a politically explosive assertion in a private conversation on Capitol Hill with his fellow GOP leaders: that Trump could be the beneficiary of payments from Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy (R-Calif.) said, according to a recording of the June 15, 2016 exchange, which was listened to and verified by The Washington Post. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher is a Californian Republican known in Congress as a fervent defender of Putin and Russia.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) immediately interjected, stopping the conversation from further exploring McCarthy’s assertion, and swore the Republicans present to secrecy.

Before the conversation, McCarthy and Ryan had emerged from separate talks at the U.S. Capitol with Ukrainian Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman, who had described a Kremlin tactic of financing populist politicians to undercut Eastern European democratic institutions.

Still reading now that I'm finally home and kitties are fed.

Transcript: http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/docume ... ?tid=sm_fb

Skip Intro

Post #3018 by Skip Intro » Wed May 17, 2017 7:36 pm

There really is one of these for every occasion.

Trump on Trump.

One major characteristic of the current administration is its deep and abiding terror of expertise in general, and outside expertise in particular. - Charles Pierce

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #3019 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 17, 2017 7:37 pm

rpenner wrote:
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:Yesterday someone tweeted: What do you expect from someone who is all id and only lives in the now?

Will credit the source when I find her again.

https://twitter.com/Mr_Sneller/status/8 ... 9754245120 ?

Thank you!!!!

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

kate520

Post #3020 by kate520 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:46 pm

So if by some miracle (breaking news notwithstanding, I have zero faith in Republicans Doing the Right Thing) Trump is drummed out, what the hell to do with all the wildly inappropriate people he picked to destroy our government?

I suppose if we can grab the reins at precisely the right moment we'll have a chance to actually rebuild it for the 21st century.

Hmmm. Thanks, Trump?

Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

kate520

Post #3021 by kate520 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:49 pm

Skip Intro wrote:This guy.

:o He looks crazy! OMG! Is he also a religious nut?

ETA: OMG again!

http://www.ministers-best-friend.com/CH ... -HERO.html

Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

pipistrelle

Post #3022 by pipistrelle » Wed May 17, 2017 9:07 pm

noblepa wrote:
Pompeed wrote:
Chilidog wrote:So where are the tapes of the meeting betwee Trump and the Russians?

By this AM, Mr. Putin had offered to help out with those.

I saw that headline. So, not only were American reporters excluded from the meeting, but the Russians were able to record the session????

I saw people happy that thee tapes would vindicate Our Man, but I read Putin would supply a "transcript," which I thought was a written document. Which can be edited. Whoops. I must have been lying on that delete key . . .

RVInit

Post #3023 by RVInit » Wed May 17, 2017 9:22 pm

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Pompeed

Post #3024 by Pompeed » Wed May 17, 2017 9:25 pm

noblepa wrote:
Pompeed wrote:
Chilidog wrote:So where are the tapes of the meeting betwee Trump and the Russians?

By this AM, Mr. Putin had offered to help out with those.

I saw that headline. So, not only were American reporters excluded from the meeting, but the Russians were able to record the session????

I'd say there are two possibilities:

A transcript can -- or more likely, has -- been made from the wires worn by the Ambassador and the Foreign Secretary.

OR

A transcript can -- or more likely has -- been made from the video recording of the event which was done by the Tass videographer while all members of the US press corps were excluded.

I am not beyond believing that both of those events -- wire wearing and video -- occurred simultaneously and did produce a transcript.

Putin got exactly what he wanted: his people -- and only his people -- inside the Oval Office with two sources to produce a transcript of what was said. As close to being there himself as he could get without a long flight.

Suranis

Post #3025 by Suranis » Wed May 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Funny that this security breach happened when there was no-one there to record it but the Russians, and their press, isn't it?

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

Return to “Trump Administration”