President Trump

RTH10260

Re: President Trump

Post #2952 by RTH10260 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:44 pm

Foreign policy (do we already have a beakout thread for trump?)

To ‘Protect Life’, State Department Rolls Out Women’s Health Policy Critics Call a ‘Death Warrant’
BY RUBY MELLEN, ROBBIE GRAMERMAY 16, 2017 - 4:07

The State Department on Monday rolled out plans to drastically expand a Reagan-era ban on federal funding for international groups that perform or advocate for abortions. The controversial ban won praise from pro-life groups who say it aligns U.S. foreign aid funding with conservative policies, but drew condemnation from many in the NGO community, who called it a “death warrant” for some women in developing countries.

While similar guidelines have been instituted under every Republican president since Ronald Reagan, under the Trump administration, the policy’s scope is much more sweeping. The “Protecting Life in Global Health Assistance” policy places new restrictions not just on funds that go to family planning assistance, but also money that supports malaria eradication, maternal and child health, and AIDS prevention and treatment, amounting to a total of $8.8 billion.

Under former President George W. Bush, the Mexico City policy only put limits on a budget of $575 million — funding that went directly to family planning-related services. But other U.S. government support for organizations’ overseas health efforts were unaffected.

The new plan prohibits foreign nongovernmental organizations from receiving any health-care related U.S. funding if they “perform or actively promote abortion as a method of family planning in other nations.” NGOs say it confirms their fears that the demands would focus on a larger slice of funding than its predecessors and its implementation would mean danger, and sometimes potentially even death, for women in developing countries seeking access to healthcare and contraception.

Pro-life experts praised the Trump administration’s decision, saying it aligned with his campaign promises to promote conservative policies worldwide.
http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/05/16/to- ... ty-policy/

noblepa

Post #2953 by noblepa » Tue May 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Lunaluz wrote:David Brooks posted this in his column.

When the World Is Led by a Child

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/15/opinion/trump-classified-data.html?_r=0

:snippity: At base, Trump is an infantalist. There are three tasks that most mature adults have sort of figured out by the time they hit 25. Trump has mastered none of them. Immaturity is becoming the dominant note of his presidency, lack of self-control his leitmotif. :snippity:

:snippity: The Russian leak story reveals one other thing, the dangerousness of a hollow man. :snippity:

More at the link.....

Edited for clarity

My favorite line from that article:

David Brooks wrote:He is thus the all-time record-holder of the Dunning-Kruger effect, the phenomenon in which the incompetent person is too incompetent to understand his own incompetence.

Suranis

Post #2954 by Suranis » Tue May 16, 2017 8:18 pm

This popped up on the Snopes facebook group

Most of it is obvious bs from a website called "the truth division" but I decided to take a crack at the "surplus" claim... (Following is what I wrote)

There was a budget deficit of -192B in Feb and -176B in March. The Surplus in April was $182B. The reason he got a Surplus in April was this (from link).

Outlays for military active duty and retirement, veterans' benefits, supplemental security income, and medicare payments to health maintenance organizations and prescription drug plans accelerated into March, because April 1, 2017, the normal payment date, fell on a non-business day. The impact of large individual tax deposits resulted in budget receipts of USD 455.6 billion and a surplus of USD 182.4 billion. The Surface Transportation and Veterans Health Care Choice Improvement Act of 2015 shifted the final payment due date for most corporations from mid-March to mid-April. As a result, a significant amount of corporation income tax receipts moved from March to April.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united- ... dget-value

Some are born cretins, some achieve cretiniss, and some have cretiniss forced upon them.

optimusprime

Post #2955 by optimusprime » Tue May 16, 2017 8:39 pm

Time for 45 to "lawyer up"

Skip Intro

Post #2956 by Skip Intro » Tue May 16, 2017 8:55 pm

Bill Bennett just said on Republican State TV "If you looked at Mother Theresa under a microscope you would see germs and bacteria."

There's no bottom to their defense of the orange shitgibbon.

One major characteristic of the current administration is its deep and abiding terror of expertise in general, and outside expertise in particular. - Charles Pierce

NotaPerson

Post #2957 by NotaPerson » Tue May 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Skip Intro wrote:Bill Bennett just said on Republican State TV "If you looked at Mother Theresa under a microscope you would see germs and bacteria."

And from the "Fox News Insider"....

American Conservative Union Chairman Matt Schlapp reacted to the reported memo from former FBI Director James Comey alleging that President Trump asked him to dismiss the Michael Flynn investigation.
:snippity:
"Jim Comey is striking back [after being fired]," Schlapp said.

He said Comey is trying to appear as a leader "standing up for the Constitution" but is instead "acting like a politician."

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/05/16/d ... iking-back

Right. It's just like a politician to carefully document a conversation with a person whose election campaign is under investigation.

:smoking:

Skip Intro

Post #2958 by Skip Intro » Tue May 16, 2017 9:52 pm

Republican State TV covering the big issues tonight.

One major characteristic of the current administration is its deep and abiding terror of expertise in general, and outside expertise in particular. - Charles Pierce

Fortinbras

Post #2959 by Fortinbras » Tue May 16, 2017 10:11 pm

To state the very obvious, I would not have believed that within five months of inauguration, we'd all be seriously talking about a multitude of major investigations of the new President in which every third sentence uses the word "impeachment".

Mikedunford

Post #2960 by Mikedunford » Wed May 17, 2017 2:58 am

Fortinbras wrote:To state the very obvious, I would not have believed that within five months of inauguration, we'd all be seriously talking about a multitude of major investigations of the new President in which every third sentence uses the word "impeachment".

I've expected investigations and impeachment talk since long before the election.

1 Cranch 137, 177

RoadScholar

Post #2961 by RoadScholar » Wed May 17, 2017 5:57 am

Umm... yeah. Many of us had been making bets on whether he'd last six months.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

ZekeB

Post #2962 by ZekeB » Wed May 17, 2017 5:59 am

Mikedunford wrote:I've expected investigations and impeachment talk since long before the election.

I felt the same way. I remember Watergate quite well. It started before that election. This is Nixon 2.0 with the Nixon having a much bigger ego, if that can be possible.

Somerset
Occupation: I take apart things that don't work and figure out why.

Post #2963 by Somerset » Wed May 17, 2017 6:01 am

Skip Intro wrote:Bill Bennett just said on Republican State TV "If you looked at Mother Theresa under a microscope you would see germs and bacteria."

Ah, yes. The compulsive gambler who wrote "The Book of Virtues." A shining example of Republican values.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #2964 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 17, 2017 8:20 am

Yesterday someone tweeted: What do you expect from someone who is all id and only lives in the now?

Will credit the source when I find her again.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Gregg

Post #2965 by Gregg » Wed May 17, 2017 10:06 am

ZekeB wrote:
Mikedunford wrote:I've expected investigations and impeachment talk since long before the election.

I felt the same way. I remember Watergate quite well. It started before that election. This is Nixon 2.0 with the Nixon having a much bigger ego, if that can be possible.

Nixon had many fatal flaws, but he also had historic accomplishments as President. Some argue without Watergate history would have been very kind to him. Trump, for all I can tell, has no positive accomplishments at all. He's been a disaster from " ...so help me God" and the cannon salute.

Suranis

Post #2966 by Suranis » Wed May 17, 2017 11:04 am

John Dean argued in his book "Worse than Watergate" that Nixon was not a smart man, but one who made himself smart through constant reading. (W, by contrast was a smart man who was intulectually lazy and just wanted simple solutions to problems) It meant that Nixon was good when he was on ground he had prepared for, but was prone to be stumped and make errors when he was on ground he knew nothing about, and could make catastrophic errors when the unexpected happened for that reason.

I am largely positive on the Nixon Presidency, with some big caveats. Internationally he was pretty good all round.

Some are born cretins, some achieve cretiniss, and some have cretiniss forced upon them.

MsDaisy

Post #2967 by MsDaisy » Wed May 17, 2017 11:25 am

Gregg wrote: :snippity:

Nixon had many fatal flaws, but he also had historic accomplishments as President. Some argue without Watergate history would have been very kind to him. Trump, for all I can tell, has no positive accomplishments at all. He's been a disaster from " ...so help me God" and the cannon salute.

I think he will wake a lot of true conservatives the hell up and hopefully they will rid the Republican Party of all the hate mongering extremists, and conspiracy nuts that have taken it over. And that would truly be a great accomplishment. :pray:

Birfers are toast

Pompeed

Post #2968 by Pompeed » Wed May 17, 2017 11:39 am

Chilidog wrote:So where are the tapes of the meeting betwee Trump and the Russians?

By this AM, Mr. Putin had offered to help out with those.

noblepa

Post #2969 by noblepa » Wed May 17, 2017 11:42 am

Suranis wrote:John Dean argued in his book "Worse than Watergate" that Nixon was not a smart man, but one who made himself smart through constant reading. (W, by contrast was a smart man who was intulectually lazy and just wanted simple solutions to problems) It meant that Nixon was good when he was on ground he had prepared for, but was prone to be stumped and make errors when he was on ground he knew nothing about, and could make catastrophic errors when the unexpected happened for that reason.

I am largely positive on the Nixon Presidency, with some big caveats. Internationally he was pretty good all round.

I agree.

Back in the late 70's I was living in San Diego and attended SDSU. I took a political science class from a professor who was about as left-wing as you can get. He had been arrested at the 1968 Chicago Democratic convention.

Several of us used to go out after our evening class and have a couple of beers and continue class discussions. He about flipped when I told him I had voted for Nixon in 1972, the first year I was old enough to vote. I did so, because George McGovern tried to make it a one-issue campaign, the Vietnam war.

Even today, knowing what I now know about Nixon, if it were Nixon and McGovern running, I think I might vote for Nixon.

I tend to agree that, aside from Watergate, he wasn't a bad president.

RoadScholar

Post #2970 by RoadScholar » Wed May 17, 2017 11:44 am

Well... Kent State.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

noblepa

Post #2971 by noblepa » Wed May 17, 2017 11:44 am

Pompeed wrote:
Chilidog wrote:So where are the tapes of the meeting betwee Trump and the Russians?

By this AM, Mr. Putin had offered to help out with those.

I saw that headline. So, not only were American reporters excluded from the meeting, but the Russians were able to record the session????

Pompeed

Post #2972 by Pompeed » Wed May 17, 2017 11:45 am

Skip Intro wrote:Trump taking his entire nanny corps with him on first trip.

Let me guess: they will all be housed and feted in Trump properties. For which the US taxpayers will pay the bills and the Family Orange Shit Gibbon will put the profits into their pockets.

How fast can we spell "racket."

Gregg

Post #2973 by Gregg » Wed May 17, 2017 11:54 am

I think they're all afraid to be away from Trump for more than 24 hours, both for what he might do without them there, and who he might dump while they're not there.

Skip Intro

Post #2974 by Skip Intro » Wed May 17, 2017 12:11 pm

Deep thoughts from the president at the Coast Guard graduation ceremony.

“Distant shores, & some of those shores are very far away”

HeatherGray

Post #2975 by HeatherGray » Wed May 17, 2017 12:19 pm

Gregg wrote:I think they're all afraid to be away from Trump for more than 24 hours, both for what he might do without them there, and who he might dump while they're not there.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Return to “Trump Administration”