President Trump

p0rtia

Re: President Trump

Post by p0rtia » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:33 am

Lani wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:09 am
There's a sobering truth to Trump's racist tweets that we don't like to admit
But Trump's recent tweets could show that he understands America better than his critics realize.
:snippity:
One is the country represented by the Statue of Liberty, and its invitation to poor and tired immigrants "yearning to breathe free."

The other is the one that virtually wiped out Native Americans, enslaved Africans, excluded Chinese immigrants in the late 19th century and put Japanese Americans in concentration camps.

From the rarified perch of the White House, Trump's racist tweets tap into the id of this other America.

And here's what's so frightening about this: It is not a big stretch to say that when a leader uses the kind of language that Trump uses against minorities, it may increase the chances of violence being used against them.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/07/15/us/t ... index.html
Articles like this drive me crazy. Now, a warning? On one scale: two years too late. On another: 100 years too late.

Who is this "we" that doesn't like to admit that racism runs deep in this country and is currently not only in the ascendancy but holds most of the reins of power? Aside from the avowed racists themselves, "we" = the press + Republicans (the ones who are not, y'know, avosed racists) + most Dems.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:16 am

Nobody in the MSM seems to be pointing out what a benefit it is for the President of the United States of America to occasionally remind people what a racist piece of dogshit he is. :daydream:
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

bob

Post by bob » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:18 pm

Foggy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:16 am
Nobody in the MSM seems to be pointing out what a benefit it is for the President of the United States of America to occasionally remind people what a racist piece of dogshit he is.
I read an article (I fergit where, sorry) essentially arguing that the president is "flipping the script," i.e., baiting Democrats into identity-based politics. (And stealing the air for policy-based politics.) Because a percentage of the voters will defend him on that, even if he is the instigator master baiter.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:09 pm

bob wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:18 pm
Foggy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:16 am
Nobody in the MSM seems to be pointing out what a benefit it is for the President of the United States of America to occasionally remind people what a racist piece of dogshit he is.
I read an article (I fergit where, sorry) essentially arguing that the president is "flipping the script," i.e., baiting Democrats into identity-based politics. (And stealing the air for policy-based politics.) Because a percentage of the voters will defend him on that, even if he is the instigator master baiter.
I think they have no choice now but to engage him on it. Instead of having 75% of the non-white vote, go for 100% and let him have the angry white men. Backing down will hurt turnout, but he's not going to win if everyone turns out.

But it's really gonna suck to go through this for another 18 months.

bob

Post by bob » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:12 pm

With the caveat that if just enough white people in just the right states vote, it won't matter in the Electoral College if the president loses the popular vote.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

much ado

Post by much ado » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:13 pm

I guess we will find out exactly how racist this country is.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:03 pm

Best FB comment ever on why Lindsey Graham sucks up to trump:

"Assolini Shitler has a video of Graham playing with his gerbil in his you know what.

Nothing else makes sense."
Lionel Sayku Kennedy, Hero

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:41 pm

just for the record: they send bad people, we don't send money...

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:58 pm

Republicans: not racist our dear leader

pipistrelle

Reclaim your life from the jaws of Donald Trump

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:58 am

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/l ... story.html
Op-Ed: Reclaim your life from the jaws of Donald Trump

I used to take perverse pleasure in unearthing the periodic stupefying quotes of our leaders buried at the bottom of the jump pages in newspapers. Now I struggle to keep up with a tsunami of sewage. It is a wearying task, performed to a depressing background chorus constantly running in my brain: “Donald Trump is our president.”

. . .

When we think about him, he wins. When we talk about him, he wins. I’m tired of all his winning. I’m going to do my small part — as small as his wee hands — to keep my addiction to a minimum. And, because as Pete Buttigieg said, “It is the nature of grotesque things that you can’t look away,” I will probably relapse within days.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:57 am

Excellent advice. And as soon as I get a life, I intend to take it.
ImageImageImage x4

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:00 am

Vanita Gupta

Verified account

@vanitaguptaCR
Follow Follow @vanitaguptaCR
More Vanita Gupta Retweeted The Leadership Conference
Peter Phipps just became Trump’s 43rd circuit court judge.

0/43 are African American.
0/43 are Latino.

These are lifetime appointments that represent a gigantic setback for judicial diversity in America. It's truly appalling. #courtsmatterVanita Gupta added,
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:01 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:57 am
Excellent advice. And as soon as I get a life, I intend to take it.
:bighug:
ImageImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:31 am

This land is OUR land, Donald Trump! | Opinion
BY LEONARD PITTS JR.

https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/opn ... 38672.html
It would be naive not to recognize that you were performing for a particular audience: the racially resentful white people of the GOP base. If the rest of us are — as I was in Kwethluk — energized and inspired by the vastness of America, they are threatened by it and terrified of it. Especially as representatives of that vastness rise to positions of prominence and power.

You, like them, take for granted that America is your house, a white house where you make the rules, you set the standards and the rest of us live only by your sufferance. That’s the assumption embedded in your tweets: that you have the right to tell the rest of us to — apologies to the Beatles — “get back to you where you once belonged.”

But this has never been just your house, Donald, grandson of a German immigrant. It belongs to all of us, to every Yup’ik in Kwethluk, every Cuban in Miami, every black boy in Compton, every Muslim in Dearborn. We get to criticize it, we get to love it, we get to fight with it, we get to fight for it, because we built it. And we do not need your permission.

“Go back where you came from?” We’ve heard that one often. It is less an expression of geographic reality — again, three of the women you slurred were born in the USA — than it is of white fear. The notion that you live here on probation if you are black or brown is one of racism’s oldest canards. And it was not surprising to see members of your party offer tepid rebukes of your behavior or none at all, while stepping gingerly around the “r” word like a body on the sidewalk.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:09 am

How about changing the thread title to "Racist President Trump"?

Just sayin'....
ImageImageImage

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:51 am

p0rtia wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:09 am
How about changing the thread title to "Racist President Trump"?

Just sayin'....
Just let me wake up one morning and find this thread has been changed to ex-President Trump.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:04 pm

:yeah: too.
ImageImageImage

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:25 am

MN-Skeptic controls the title of the thread ...
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:34 am

I know. And I know it's a topic of debate (respect for the office, etc.). Just every couple of months I feel the need to voice my unhappiness at those two words put together.

Please don't send me back. :pray:
ImageImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:46 am

AFP news agency

Verified account

@AFP
Follow Follow @AFP
More
'And you had the Nobel Prize? That's incredible. They gave it to you for what reason?' Donald Trump asks Nadia Murad

After a pause, the Nobel laureate repeated her story about the deaths of her mother, six brothers, and thousands of the Yazidi community

http://u.afp.com/Jhke

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:25 am

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:46 am
AFP news agency @AFP
Follow Follow @AFP

'And you had the Nobel Prize? That's incredible. They gave it to you for what reason?' Donald Trump asks Nadia Murad

After a pause, the Nobel laureate repeated her story about the deaths of her mother, six brothers, and thousands of the Yazidi community

http://u.afp.com/Jhke
:doh: :brickwallsmall:

Like he wouldn't get briefed on the visitors he will be receiving, or it's just gigo to his little brain.
"But ISIS is gone and now it's Kurdish and who?" Trump asked, before later telling her, "I know the area very well."
The US leader also appeared unfamiliar when he met a representative from the Rohingya, a Muslim minority targeted in a brutal campaign two years ago in Myanmar.
► Show Spoiler

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:12 pm

You're kidding right. The only part of the briefing he might have paid attention to was if he heard it was a group of women, he wanted pictures to choose the 'special' one to get to stand right up next to him.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:08 pm

NO! No! I did not...

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:05 pm

I'm puzzled about why he backed off. :think:

ETA: I know he didn't really back off. But why did he think it necessary to appear to have backed off?

ETA 2: Ah. Watching Brian Williams, and he showed a NYT article (paywall https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/18/us/p ... e=Homepage) that said there was a breakfast meeting with repub congress members and Pence. They told Pence to relay to Individual-1 that they were "disturbed" by the chant and that such behavior should be discouraged. Apparently Pence did and, oddly, Individual-1 actually listened.

From the article (which let me access it, for some reason):
Nervous Republicans, from senior members of Congress to his own daughter Ivanka, urged President Trump on Thursday to repudiate the “send her back” chant directed at a Somali-born congresswoman during his speech the night before at a rally in North Carolina, amid widespread fears that the rally had veered into territory that could hurt their party in 2020.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:32 am

Someone on MSNBC - Lawrence? - said there was a poll this morning that changed his mind.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Return to “Trump Administration”