Transition 2016 and so forth

Addie

Re: Transition 2016 and so forth

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:31 pm

Reuters
Three Bolton aides submit their resignations at White House

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Three top aides to former national security adviser John Bolton submitted their resignations on Wednesday a day after Bolton and President Donald Trump parted ways.

Garrett Marquis, Bolton’s top spokesman, Sarah Tinsley, his communications director, and scheduler Christine Samuelian all resigned in what a source called an amicable fashion.

“It was an honor to serve my country, and I wish the president and the administration success moving forward,” Marquis said in a brief statement.

The trio of aides has worked for Bolton for years.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:05 am

New York Times
White House Fires Homeland Security Dept.’s General Counsel

WASHINGTON — The White House on Tuesday fired John Mitnick, the general counsel for the Department of Homeland Security, after months of shake-up at an agency responsible for carrying out President Trump’s immigration agenda.

“We thank John for this service, and we wish him well,” a department spokeswoman said Tuesday night.

The White House this year has turned the Department of Homeland Security — which oversees securing the country’s borders, disaster relief efforts and addressing domestic terrorism and cybersecurity threats — into a revolving door of officials, creating a void of permanent leadership.

A Trump administration official said Tuesday evening that Chad Mizelle, an associate counsel to the president, would replace Mr. Mitnick. But a Department of Homeland Security official said later that Joseph B. Maher, the department’s principal deputy general counsel, would be taking over.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:39 am

Newsweek
Donald Trump's new UAE Ambassador is a Republican megadonor with no diplomatic experience

President Donald Trump's nominee for United States ambassador to the United Arab Emirates — a Republican megadonor with no diplomatic experience — was confirmed by the Senate on Tuesday, marking the first time the key position is filled by someone who is not a career diplomat.

John Rakolta, Jr., was confirmed on a 63-30 vote held after a close to year-and-a-half delay, with several Democrats and an independent Senator joining the GOP majority. Rakolta owns the Detroit-based construction company Walbridge Aldinger that has done business with a firm in Abu Dhabi, where he will be the chief representative for the U.S. But notably, Rakolta donated $250,000 to Trump's inauguration and raised funds for the transition.

Rick Olson, ambassador to the UAE from 2008 to 2011, told Shareblue Media that all who have filled the role "without exception have been career foreign service officers, most of whom have had extensive experience in the Arab world." Past presidents have nominated their supporters for ambassador positions, but typically for roles less complex than the Middle East.

Former diplomat James Bruno was more critical, telling the media outlet that Rakolta has "zero foreign policy experience and therefore is abjectly unfit for this position."

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:24 am

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:25 am

PS. when Jared Kushner is fit for Middle East diplomacy, why not a mega donor :?:

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:26 am

Why did that many Democrats vote to confirm?

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:13 am

President Donald Trump named Robert O'Brien, the US hostage negotiator, his new national security adviser on Wednesday.
I Don't know who he is....

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:09 pm

Prior to his appointment, O'Brien had been perhaps best known for his efforts to win the release of American rapper A$AP Rocky, who was held in a Swedish jail after being arrested for his involvement in a Stockholm brawl.
https://www.npr.org/2019/09/18/76187152 ... ty-adviser

Did Trump pick him after an exhaustive search of his recent tweets? I can't find his age. The one lucky factor in Trumps choices is that he's picking people in their 60's and 70's. I'm hoping the effort of running a war is beyond them. Pompeo is 55, a fine age to start a war. W was 55 in 2001. As contrast, HW Bush was late 60's when Gulf War I started. Bolton was in his 70's. How old is O'Brien? (Yes, I know this all sounds tin-foil-hat-y.)

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:15 pm

Wars are fun and easy to run when the soldiers aren't of your or your children's generations.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:20 pm

Trump picked him after an exhaustive search of the people willing to say "Yes."

He actually seems a halfway reasonable choice on its face. So, I give him about 2 months.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:43 pm

Hostages to be the only serious threat to the US that requires a national security adviser :?:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:17 pm

Former ⁦@ICEgov⁩ Dir. Tom Homan shows no respect to ⁦@RepJayapal⁩ during a House hearing today after going over his time, shouting out,
“I'm a taxpayer, you work for me!”

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:07 pm

The State Press
McCain Institute head Kurt Volker steps down as US diplomat

Volker's resignation comes amid reports that he was involved in the Trump-Ukraine investigation

Executive Director of the McCain Institute Kurt Volker resigned from his position as the U.S. Special Envoy for Ukraine Friday, following reports he collaborated with Ukraine and President Donald Trump.

An ASU official confirmed Volker's resignation Friday, and said the University could not speak about his future at ASU because the University does not comment on personnel matters.

Volker met with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo Friday to announce he would be resigning, the official said.

Volker’s name was mentioned in the recent whistleblower complaint, which has sparked an impeachment inquiry for Trump. Trump has defended his actions, including a phone call with Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky where Trump requested dirt on former Vice President Joe Biden.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:58 pm

The Hill
Homeland Security official who rolled back some terrorism programs resigns: report

A Department of Homeland Security official who presided over the scaling back of some of the department’s counterterrorism efforts during the past two years will leave his post at the request of acting DHS Secretary Kevin McAleenan, according to the Los Angeles Times.

James F. McDonnell, whom President Trump appointed to lead the Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction Office and its predecessor, the Domestic Nuclear Detection Office, will leave effective Thursday, McDonnell said in an email to staff Wednesday, according to the newspaper.

McDonnell has faced bipartisan scrutiny amid reports earlier this year that he promoted a controversial, scientifically-disputed system for detection of airborne infectious agents.

He announced last November that the department planned to take the system nationwide in the next two years despite repeated failures of the underlying “trigger” technology in testing stages.

In July, the LA Times reported he had overseen the scaling back or outright elimination of several DHS anti-terrorism initiatives, including programs that trained state, local and federal officials to detect weapons of mass destruction that could be hidden in suitcases or “dirty bombs” hidden on cargo ships.

McDonnell also disbanded DHS’ International Cooperation Division, which collaborated with the department’s foreign counterparts and the United Nations’ International Atomic Energy Agency in monitoring nuclear material smuggling.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:48 pm

Trump sanctions chief leaving administration: report

President Trump's top sanctions chief will leave the administration for the private sector, The Wall Street Journal reported.

Sigal Mandelker, Treasury undersecretary for terrorism and financial intelligence, reportedly hinted at wanting to leave for the private sector over the summer, the Journal reported.

Mandelker said she does not have immediate plans but wants to hold a private sector position to allow her more time to spend with family, according to the Journal.

The U.S. has wielded sanctions internationally, including in its current dispute with Iran. Trump said last month he plans to increase sanctions on the country after blaming Iran for drone attacks on two Saudi oil sites.
that is all at the link
https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... ion-report

Addie posted about her Fri Mar 22, 2019
► Show Spoiler
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:19 pm

Politico
Energy Secretary Rick Perry eyeing White House exit in November

Energy Secretary Rick Perry is expected to announce his resignation from the administration by the end of November, according to three people familiar with his plans.

Perry, who had been Texas' longest serving governor before joining President Donald Trump's Cabinet in 2017, has largely avoided the controversies that felled others in the administration. But his travels to Ukraine have lately embroiled him in the impeachment inquiry engulfing Trump and his inner circle, even though two of the people called the scandal unrelated to Perry's departure, which they said he has been planning for several months.

Deputy Energy Secretary Dan Brouillette is expected to replace Perry, according to three people familiar with the matter, who requested anonymity to discuss the departure before an official announcement was made.

Perry's plans after leaving the Energy Department were not immediately known, but the 69-year-old has ruled out another try for the White House after running unsuccessfully in the 2012 and 2016 Republican primaries. “I’m done. Quote me on that,” he said when asked about another presidential campaign last year, adding that he’d “totally failed” at retiring earlier as Texas governor.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:25 am

Reuters Top News
@Reuters
·
13m
U.S. energy secretary denies report about plan to resign https://reut.rs/2LROpCc
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:51 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

bob

Post by bob » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:43 pm

David Pekoske is now the Acting DHS Secretary. Speculation is that the current president will jigger the order of succession so that Ken Cuccinelli will be the next Acting.

I think the current president has given up on nominating someone. Cuccinelli, for example, would have a difficult confirmation.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:46 pm

Top aide to U.S. Secretary of State Pompeo resigns

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A senior adviser to U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has resigned, with the State Department mired in a controversy over the Trump administration’s dealings with Ukraine that has prompted an impeachment inquiry targeting the president.

Michael McKinley, a career diplomat who has served as Pompeo’s policy adviser since May 2018 following previous posts as ambassador to Brazil, Afghanistan, Colombia and Peru, said in a note to staff made available on Friday that his departure after 37 years with the department was “personal.”

He said he was “leaving the Department to pursue other opportunities, wherever they may lead.”

McKinley departure comes as the congressional impeachment inquiry heated up.

While McKinley has not been directly involved with Ukraine, he has served as a conduit between Pompeo’s office and career staff, according to the Washington Post, which first reported his resignation on Thursday night.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1WQ1U3

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:01 pm

bob wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:43 pm
David Pekoske is now the Acting DHS Secretary. Speculation is that the current president will jigger the order of succession so that Ken Cuccinelli will be the next Acting.

I think the current president has given up on nominating someone. Cuccinelli, for example, would have a difficult confirmation.
Ever since he wasted a Senate seat via Jeff Sessions, all nominees must be Moscow Mitch approved to be confirmed.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:30 pm

The Hill
Trump calls Mattis 'world's most overrated general' over ISIS comments

President Trump on Wednesday called his former Defense secretary, Jim Mattis, "the world's most overrated general" during a tense meeting with lawmakers on the situation in Syria.

Trump met with Democratic and Republican leaders at the White House to discuss Turkey's incursion into northern Syria following his decision to pull U.S. forces from that area.

During the meeting, Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) read a quote from Mattis's appearance Sunday on “Meet the Press,” where he warned that "ISIS will resurge" if the U.S. does not keep the pressure on in that region.

Trump cut Schumer off, according to two Democratic aides, and said that Mattis was "the world’s most overrated general."

"You know why? He wasn’t tough enough," Trump said, according to the aides. "I captured ISIS. Mattis said it would take two years. I captured them in 1 month."

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:47 pm

Addie wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:30 pm
The Hill

President Trump on Wednesday called his former Defense secretary, Jim Mattis, "the world's most overrated general" during a tense meeting with lawmakers on the situation in Syria.

Trump met with Democratic and Republican leaders at the White House to discuss Turkey's incursion into northern Syria following his decision to pull U.S. forces from that area.

During the meeting, Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) read a quote from Mattis's appearance Sunday on “Meet the Press,” where he warned that "ISIS will resurge" if the U.S. does not keep the pressure on in that region.

Trump cut Schumer off, according to two Democratic aides, and said that Mattis was "the world’s most overrated general."

"You know why? He wasn’t tough enough," Trump said, according to the aides. "I captured ISIS. Mattis said it would take two years. I captured them in 1 month."
And of course EGOTUS did that all by his liddle ol self. :rotflmao:
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:22 pm

Waiting for the retired generals to show up on cable news in 5...4...3...2...1...

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:17 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:47 pm
Addie wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:30 pm
The Hill

And of course EGOTUS did that all by his liddle ol self. :rotflmao:
And then forgot to mention that he just had let them run free again.

The new Monopoly pick: The Donald - immediate freedom from jail ...

And dotus seems to have missed the condition of the "retreat" - it was more like fleeing the Turks and Syrian forces. They left behind the infrastructure as-is. I noticed from the pictures of a messhall that the salt and pepper sets were still on the tables. I bet the arriving troops had fresh Coke in the coolers waiting for them.

Return to “Trump Administration”