Transition 2016

Addie

Re: Transition 2016

Post by Addie » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:15 pm

The Atlantic
An NSC Staffer Is Forced Out Over a Controversial Memo

A top official of the National Security Council was fired last month after arguing in a memo that President Trump is under sustained attack from subversive forces both within and outside the government who are deploying Maoist tactics to defeat President Trump’s nationalist agenda.

His dismissal marks the latest victory by National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster in the ongoing war within Trump’s White House between those who believe that the president is under threat from dark forces plotting to undermine him, and those like McMaster who dismiss this as conspiratorial thinking.

Rich Higgins, a former Pentagon official who served in the NSC’s strategic-planning office as a director for strategic planning, was let go on July 21. Higgins’s memo describes supposed domestic and international threats to Trump’s presidency, including globalists, bankers, the “deep state,” and Islamists. The memo characterizes the Russia story as a plot to sabotage Trump’s nationalist agenda. It asserts that globalists and Islamists are seeking to destroy America. The memo also includes a set of recommendations, arguing that the problem constitutes a national-security priority. ...

Higgins wrote the memo in late May, and at some point afterwards it began circulating among people outside the White House associated with the Trump campaign to whom Higgins had given it.

Higgins, according to another source with direct knowledge of the incident, was called into the White House Counsel’s office the week before last and asked about the memo. On July 21, the Friday of that week, he was informed by McMaster’s deputy Ricky Waddell that he was losing his job.

¡Qué vergüenza!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:06 pm

Addie wrote:The Atlantic
An NSC Staffer Is Forced Out Over a Controversial Memo
:snippity:
A top official of the National Security Council was fired last month after arguing in a memo that President Trump is under sustained attack from subversive forces both within and outside the government who are deploying Maoist tactics to defeat President Trump’s nationalist agenda.

His dismissal marks the latest victory by National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster in the ongoing war within Trump’s White House between those who believe that the president is under threat from dark forces plotting to undermine him, and those like McMaster who dismiss this as conspiratorial thinking. :snippity:
:rockon:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:42 pm

His dismissal marks the latest victory by National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster in the ongoing war within Trump’s White House between those who believe that the president is under threat from dark forces plotting to undermine him,
No, more like forces of light.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:00 pm

New communications Director appointed.

http://www.breakingburgh.com/appointmen ... gh-praise/

Appointment Of Beaker As White House Communications Director Draws High Praise

This was quickly followed by the announcement that Beaker would take over the role vacated by Anthony Scaramucci, leading critics to breathe a huge sigh of relief.

“Finally competence is starting to take hold.”

Though some expressed surprise at the Muppet’s appointment to the specific role of communications director, more seasoned observers of the Trump administration insist this is good move.

“When Beaker speaks, though it sounds alarming, you can’t actually discern what he is saying – which is a vast improvement over his predecessor who also sounded alarming, but you could discern what he was saying, which was that Steve Bannon sucks his own cock or worse.”

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:05 pm

The problem with Beaker is that his go-to answer to every question is "Me me me me me," which is the one thing guaranteed to make Trump's head explode. He does not like showboaters.

And speaking of heads, Beaker has a much better orange dye job than Trump, which won't help matters.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:46 pm

gupwalla wrote:The problem with Beaker is that his go-to answer to every question is "Me me me me me," which is the one thing guaranteed to make Trump's head explode. He does not like showboaters.

And speaking of heads, Beaker has a much better orange dye job than Trump, which won't help matters.
Beaker is such a nice guy, the Press Corps will love him and give him lots of chances to clarify. The reporters can't attack Beaker or laugh at him since he is such a naif.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:18 pm

Now, Oscar the Grouch on the other hand...

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:19 pm

I think Oscar is earmarked for the EPA.

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:09 am

Does Scott Pruitt know yet?

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:21 am

The Hill
DHS chief information officer resigns after three months on job

The chief information officer at the Department of Homeland Security has resigned from his position after only three months on the job, the department confirmed on Monday.

Richard Staropoli, a former U.S. Secret Service agent, resigned last week and will officially leave the top information technology role in the department at the start of September.

Fedscoop first reported Staropoli’s resignation last week, but the department did not confirm the development until Monday.

In his exit, deputy chief information officer Stephen Rice will serve as acting CIO until President Trump appoints a new person to fill the role, a DHS spokesman told The Hill.

¡Qué vergüenza!

tek

Post by tek » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:57 am

Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:26 pm

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/8 ... =emaildkre
Trump loses his pick to oversee assault on federal workforce

Donald Trump—like so many other Republican politicians—loves to attack the workers who keep our government running. It’s a win-win-win for Republicans: a way to attack good wages, go after unions, and break the government so they can say “see, government doesn’t work.” But to be really effective at hurting federal workers from the inside, Trump will need someone who knows how government works in charge of the Office of Personnel Management, and he doesn’t have that. As of last week, he’s a step further away from having it, because his nominee for the role withdrew.

The White House, which did not answer a request for comment, withdrew his name last Wednesday afternoon. In a letter to Trump last week, [George] Nesterczuk said he was pulling out over the partisan atmosphere and “baseless” allegations against him. “I do not wish to be a distraction for the administration while I defend my integrity,” he wrote. According to multiple sources who were tracking his nomination, the confirmation process was moving slowly, in part because he hadn’t even submitted his paperwork to the relevant committee, despite being nominated in May.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:11 pm

President Trump expected to tap nonscientist, climate denier Sam Clovis to head science research at the Department of Agriculture
CNN: Trump pick Sam Clovis stoked birther conspiracy, called Eric Holder a 'racist black':
Sam Clovis, Donald Trump's pick to be chief scientist for the Department of Agriculture, pushed unfounded theories about then-President Barack Obama's upbringing and called then-Attorney General Eric Holder a "racist black," a CNN KFile review of Clovis's writings and radio broadcasts during 2012 and 2013 has found.

CNN's KFile reported last week on blog posts from 2011 and 2012 in which Clovis called black leaders "race traders" and accused Obama of being a "Maoist." CNN's KFile has since obtained the transcripts of some episodes of Clovis' radio show, "Impact with Sam Clovis," reviewed hours of available audio of Clovis' radio appearances, and uncovered previously unreported blog posts by Clovis. (Read CNN KFile's full research here.)

The material shows how Clovis regularly engaged with fringe theories that were prevalent in the right-wing radio and blogosphere during Obama's presidency.

In a 2012 blog post archived on the website for the Sioux City-based radio station KSCJ, Clovis raised questions about Obama's biography that echoed some of the theories pushed by those in the birther movement who claim that Obama isn't an American citizen.

"For over a decade, Obama allowed his publisher to carry a biography that had him born in Kenya. Only after beginning his pursuit of public office did he 'correct' the entry," Clovis wrote. (The literary agent who edited the biography has said the error was hers, and that she made it with no direct communication with Obama.)
Maybe Flake can grow a spine and finally stand up to those birthers. :roll:

Oh:
"This president is a dangerous person," Clovis wrote. "He is dangerous in that he does not have the interests of the nation in mind and is more than willing to do anything to advance an ideology that is absolutely opposed to American exceptionalism. Four more years of this man as president could very well mean the total deconstruction of our Constitutional republic. He wants to be a dictator and he wants to enslave all who are not part of his regime. As Althusius advised in the 17th Century, we have a right to throw off imprudent magistrates. The current president certainly qualifies.
That's what Clovis said about Obama; does it also apply to the current president? :think:

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:35 pm

BuzzFeed News
Four Top Cybersecurity Officials Are Leaving US Government

Four senior cybersecurity officials are stepping down from their US government positions, raising concerns that an exodus of top leaders may make the federal government more vulnerable to hacking.

Two of those resigning – Sean Kelley, the chief information security officer for the Environmental Protection Agency, and Richard Staropoli, the chief information officer for the Department of Homeland Security – had been in their jobs for just a few months.

The other two, Rob Foster, the Navy's chief information officer, and Dave DeVries, the director of information security and privacy at the Office of Personnel Management, are departing agencies for which computer security is a top priority. DeVries assumed his job shortly after the OPM suffered the largest known cyberattack in federal government history, and Foster had served in similar positions at the Department of Health and Human Services and Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Ann Dunkin, the CIO of the EPA under President Obama but asked to not stay on by Trump’s transition team, and who now holds the same title for the County of Santa Clara, California, told BuzzFeed news that four executives leaving in such a short time raised red flags.

“There appears to be a concerted effort to remove the career CIOs who were there during the Obama administration,” Dunkin said. “During the last week we’ve seen four go? That smells.”

¡Qué vergüenza!

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:29 pm

Top aides to Nikki Haley resign

Two top aides to U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley resigned this week.

Haley confirmed late Wednesday that her spokesman, Jonathan Wachtel, and her chief of staff, Steven Groves, were both departing their posts due to family concerns.
Prior to joining Haley's team, Wachtel worked for Fox News Channel as a producer for over a decade, and Groves worked at conservative think tank The Heritage Foundation.

"Jonathan [Wachtel] was hand-picked to ensure that Haley's communications operation ran at the highest levels, and while he was there he made the mission into one of the most nimble and responsive parts of the Trump administration," a longtime foreign policy hand close to the White House told Fox News. "His absence is going to be felt immediately."

Their resignations come amid rising tensions with North Korea, and days after the U.N. Security Council unanimously passed a strong sanctions package against the regime.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/08 ... =obnetwork

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:23 pm

Bloomberg
Manchin Emerges as Possible Pick for Energy Department

Some White House and Republican officials are exploring the idea of putting West Virginia Democratic Senator Joe Manchin in charge of the Energy Department, according to four people familiar with the discussions, a move that could boost President Donald Trump’s stalled legislative agenda.

If Manchin were offered and accepted the position, that would allow West Virginia’s Governor Jim Justice -- a newly minted Republican -- to appoint a GOP successor and bring the party a vote closer in the Senate to being able to repeal Obamacare. The idea is in the early stages of consideration, and it’s unclear whether it has support within the administration, according to the people, who described the conversations under condition of anonymity. ...

“Senator Manchin has not had any recent conversations with the Administration about the Secretary of Energy position. He remains committed to serving the people of West Virginia,” said Jonathan Kott.

Manchin, who faces a tough re-election battle in 2018, was considered for the post after Trump won election in November. His nomination fell through in part because Trump wouldn’t assure him he could pick his own staff, according to two people familiar with the staff selections, who described them on condition of anonymity.

¡Qué vergüenza!

bob

Post by bob » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:29 pm

Some White House and Republican officials are exploring the idea of putting West Virginia Democratic Senator Joe Manchin in charge of the Energy Department
"For completeness": And Perry to DHS.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:58 am

Politico
Interest in U.S. diplomatic corps tumbles in early months of Trump

The number of Americans taking the Foreign Service exam has fallen to the lowest in nearly a decade.

Interest in joining the State Department’s elite ranks of Foreign Service officers has tumbled in the early months of the Trump administration, triggering worries among former officials about the long-run risks to U.S. diplomatic power.

This June, the number of Americans who took the Foreign Service exam to start the process of joining the prestigious State Department ranks fell 26 percent from the same month a year earlier to 2,730, according to data obtained by POLITICO. The June tally marked the lowest number of test-takers in nearly a decade.

The drop in interest threatens to constrict the State Department’s pipeline for skilled diplomats representing U.S. interests around the world. It comes in the wake of President Donald Trump’s proposal to slash the department’s budget by a third, and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s push to overhaul State’s overall structure. The nearly 14,000 Foreign Service officers carry out U.S. diplomacy around the world, interacting with people from other countries while helping Americans overseas.

“The Foreign Service is like the military — if you don’t bring in lieutenants now, you don’t have the majors you need in 10 years and don’t have the colonels you need in 20,” said Ronald E. Neumann, president of the American Academy of Diplomacy who served in a number of top diplomatic posts including as U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan from 2005 to 2007.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:24 pm

The Hill
Public Liaison director leaving White House

George Sifakis, director of the Office of Public Liaison, is reportedly set to leave his White House role.

Administration sources close to the situation told Politico that the White House began searching for candidates to replace Sifakis in early August.

Sifakis, a former White House aide to George W. Bush, was appointed to lead the Office of Public Liaison in March.

In his position, Sifakis coordinated outreach to corporations, interest groups and elected officials from state and local governments. ...

Sifakis was a close friend and ally of former White House chief of staff Reince Priebus, who was ousted last month.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Jimmy Down the Hall

If dogs run free, why not we?

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:47 pm

If real life were more like an Agatha Christie story, we'd at least have a poem to guide our guesses about the next body to hit the floor. (The poem may or may not be insensitively racist in hindsight, not that it would bother this crowd overmuch).

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:41 pm

Icahn steps down as regulatory adviser to Trump

Investor Carl Icahn announced Friday that he is stepping down from his role as special adviser to President Trump on issues relating to regulatory reform.

Icahn, who owns the majority substantial stake in the oil and refining company CVR Energy, said in a letter to Trump on Friday that he is choosing to “end this arrangement (with your blessing) because I did not want partisan bickering about my role to in any way cloud your administration or Ms. Rao’s important work,” referring to newly minted Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs Administrator Neomi Rao.

“While I do not know Ms. Rao and played no part in her appointment, I am confident based on what I’ve read of her accomplishments that she is the right person for this important job.” he said.

Earlier this year six Senate Democrats, including Sens. Al Franken (D-Minn.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), reportedly called on the White House Counsel to investigate Icahn’s refusal to divest his private sector interests, citing conflicts of interest, after reports Icahn had worked closely on an executive order to overhaul the Environmental Protection Agency’s Renewable Fuel Standard. <SNIP>
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... r-to-trump

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

bob

Post by bob » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:42 pm

The Perry/Manchin fantasy swap is DOA.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:02 pm

bob wrote:The Perry/Manchin fantasy swap is DOA.
:thumbs:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:37 pm

I'll be damned if I can figure out where this should go, but I don't think it should get a new thread, so here.

NPR
Former FBI Director Comey Joins Howard University For Lecture Series

Former FBI Director James Comey is scheduled to deliver a convocation address at Howard University next month, part of a series of lectures he's been invited to deliver during the coming academic year at the historically black college.

Howard officials said Comey had agreed to donate $100,000, his full compensation as the school's King Endowed Chair in Public Policy, to a scholarship fund for students who come from foster homes.

Comey and his wife Patrice are longtime supporters of foster children, as NPR has reported.

The new role continues a connection that the former FBI director had forged with Howard. Earlier this year, Comey invited university President Wayne A.I. Frederick to address FBI employees, part of an effort Comey had been making to diversify the ranks of the bureau, which is overwhelmingly white and male. ...

Comey has tried to keep a low public profile since his surprise firing by President Donald Trump in May.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Return to “Trump Administration”