Transition 45: 2016-2020

much ado

Re: Transition 2016

Post by much ado »

Slim Cognito wrote:Romney is meeting with Trump tomorrow. Will Trump get his apology?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-tr ... day-231876
No matter how it turns out, it will be interesting. If Trump ends up humiliating Romney, will Romney retaliate in kind?

PatGund

Post by PatGund »

Plutodog wrote:"I apologize for telling the truth about Donald Trump and hurting his fee-fee's." :twisted:

I don't suppose that quite hits the mark... :think:

tek

Post by tek »

In my dream:

Trump and Romney meet.
Trump tells Romney the SoS job is his if he issues a public apology.
Romney says "Fine, let's do a press conference right now"

[ press corps assembles ]

Romney (with Trump by his side): "President-elect Trump and I just had a very productive meeting. Today I can say that Donald Trump is still a phony and a fraud; I now also know that he is vindictive and whiny, and I apologize that I didn't see that sooner."

[ tribble on Trump's head catches fire ]

There's no way back
from there to here
MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

tek wrote:In my dream:

Trump and Romney meet.
Trump tells Romney the SoS job is his if he issues a public apology.
Romney says "Fine, let's do a press conference right now"

[ press corps assembles ]

Romney (with Trump by his side): "President-elect Trump and I just had a very productive meeting. Today I can say that Donald Trump is still a phony and a fraud; I now also know that he is vindictive and whiny, and I apologize that I didn't see that sooner."

[ tribble on Trump's head catches fire ]

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Birfers are toast
tek

Post by tek »

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... omney.html
A wise ruler would never appoint a former rival without first requiring him to endure a display of submissive humiliation. I now see the error of my ways, and I have come to appreciate the genius and leadership of our next president in allowing me to confess my errors in public. I recant every last word of that slanderous speech. If my horrible mistakes give him any pause as to my qualifications, I can only plead: At the time I said it, I was hopped up on milk.

There's no way back
from there to here
esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

No matter how unfit he is or what disasters he precipitates, the GOP-majority in Congress is full of people with similar traits and moral defects. Our system was designed to have checks and balances but I don't see that working in this situation. Where's the check or balance going to come from?

He has surrounded himself with the worst of the worst. Nixon had some people around him who tried to rein him in and who defected, but look how long it took and all that damage on so many levels. We don't have people in the Senate Judiciary like we had then. Who is going to represent the majority who said "No!" and "Never Trump" in every way they could? The Electors could refuse to elect him and it would be in line with the purpose of having such a check on populism as the EC was set up to be. We know it will do the opposite instead.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

I have to admit I was surprised at the forceful way Romney came forth in condemnation of Trump and accurately listed the reasons he is unfit to be president. He can't take that back. He wanted to be president himself. I can't remember anyone saying Romney was unfit. I hope he doesn't walk back anything he said and sees he cannot reason with this kind of person. If he has any patriotic feelings or integrity, he would come out and redouble his efforts and form a conservative rear guard joining with other moderates of both parties.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

kate520 wrote:
Hey, might this be another first? The first Pathological Presidency? Or was that Nixon?

That was Andrew Jackson

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

esseff44 wrote:No matter how unfit he is or what disasters he precipitates, the GOP-majority in Congress is full of people with similar traits and moral defects. Our system was designed to have checks and balances but I don't see that working in this situation. Where's the check or balance going to come from?
Legislatively, I agree with you. I just hope that all the judicial appointees Obama has made over the past eight years will have some impact over the next four years.

Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

It’s the pandemic, stupid!
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Chilidog wrote:
kate520 wrote:
Hey, might this be another first? The first Pathological Presidency? Or was that Nixon?

That was Andrew Jackson
Dang, you beat me to it.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
June bug

Post by June bug »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
esseff44 wrote:No matter how unfit he is or what disasters he precipitates, the GOP-majority in Congress is full of people with similar traits and moral defects. Our system was designed to have checks and balances but I don't see that working in this situation. Where's the check or balance going to come from?
Legislatively, I agree with you. I just hope that all the judicial appointees Obama has made over the past eight years will have some impact over the next four years.
I fear there's not much chance of that with Drumpf and the Reich Wing now able to name Scalia's replacement on the Supreme Court.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Whatever4 wrote:
Chilidog wrote:
kate520 wrote: Hey, might this be another first? The first Pathological Presidency? Or was that Nixon?
That was Andrew Jackson
Dang, you beat me to it.
I was going to say Grant.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Dolly

Post by Dolly »

Donald J. Trump Verified account
‏@realDonaldTrump
Just met with General Petraeus--was very impressed!

1:01 PM - 28 Nov 2016
reply to the tweet:
Charles Johnson Verified account
‏@Green_Footballs Charles Johnson Retweeted Donald J. Trump
I’m so old I remember Trump saying Hillary must be jailed for improper handling of classified info @realDonaldTrumpCharles Johnson added,
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

1:08 PM - 28 Nov 2016
Steven Dennis Verified account
‏@StevenTDennis
Comey testified that David Petraeus's actions were far worse than Hillary Clinton's email server

9:54 AM - 28 Nov 2016
https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis
Steven Dennis Verified account
@StevenTDennis
@Bloomberg reporter. Senate, politics. Ex-White House, House, Md Politics.
Trump Meets With Petraeus as Secretary of State Fight Continues
President-elect Donald Trump met with retired General David Petraeus Monday, as a senior official with the transition said the former CIA director is being considered for secretary of state amid open infighting among Trump’s advisers about who to pick for the post. <snip>
auto play video at link:
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/artic ... y-of-state
State contender Petraeus knowingly leaked secrets to biographer, lied to FBI
All of his success, however, comes with the major caveat of the plea agreement he struck with the Justice Department. It contains echoes of the controversy that surrounded the failed presidential bid of Hillary Clinton, who maintained a private email server when she served as secretary of State. However, in Clinton’s case, FBI Director James Comey found no cause to prosecute her for careless handling of classified information.

Petraeus wasn’t sloppy with classified information. He purposely gave it away to his lover and biographer and sought to cover that up by lying to federal investigators, according to the plea deal.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... /94547624/

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

I know what he did was wrong, really, really wrong, but am I wrong for looking at it this way? When the RWNJs, whether it be congress or social media, are screaming for Clinton's head, it will be so easy to remind them what Petraeus did was actually worse than what they accuse her of. He plead guilty, paid a $100,000 fine and spent two years on probation...then Trump made him Secy of State!

I think it takes a lot of air out of their sails as far as endless Clinton investigations go.

ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

kate520 wrote:I also believe that his great passion to undo all the reforms of the last 8 years is due to Obama HUMILIATING him on TV and forever after on the internets, at the same moment the CiC was doing the most heroic thing most Americans can conceive of (due to their inability to grasp, you know, subtlety and nuance and stuff). Given his pathologies, and the fact he has been a registered Democrat in the past, its way up there on my list of "why the fuck is Drumpf...?"

Hey, might this be another first? The first Pathological Presidency?Or was that Nixon?
Tsk tsk tsk... a Drumpf will not let a Nixon stand in his way of becoming the Better Pathological POTUS :!:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Dolly wrote: :snippity:
Trump Meets With Petraeus as Secretary of State Fight Continues
President-elect Donald Trump met with retired General David Petraeus Monday, as a senior official with the transition said the former CIA director is being considered for secretary of state amid open infighting among Trump’s advisers about who to pick for the post. <snip>
auto play video at link:
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/artic ... y-of-state
State contender Petraeus knowingly leaked secrets to biographer, lied to FBI
All of his success, however, comes with the major caveat of the plea agreement he struck with the Justice Department. It contains echoes of the controversy that surrounded the failed presidential bid of Hillary Clinton, who maintained a private email server when she served as secretary of State. However, in Clinton’s case, FBI Director James Comey found no cause to prosecute her for careless handling of classified information.

Petraeus wasn’t sloppy with classified information. He purposely gave it away to his lover and biographer and sought to cover that up by lying to federal investigators, according to the plea deal.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... /94547624/
I somehow have this dark feeling in my guts that the US allies may not be very happy with this choice.... :shock: :doh:

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro »

Slim Cognito wrote:I know what he did was wrong, really, really wrong, but am I wrong for looking at it this way? When the RWNJs, whether it be congress or social media, are screaming for Clinton's head, it will be so easy to remind them what Petraeus did was actually worse than what they accuse her of. He plead guilty, paid a $100,000 fine and spent two years on probation...then Trump made him Secy of State!

I think it takes a lot of air out of their sails as far as endless Clinton investigations go.
Sometimes you folks crack me up.

In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.
tek

Post by tek »

Skip Intro wrote:
Slim Cognito wrote:I know what he did was wrong, really, really wrong, but am I wrong for looking at it this way? When the RWNJs, whether it be congress or social media, are screaming for Clinton's head, it will be so easy to remind them what Petraeus did was actually worse than what they accuse her of. He plead guilty, paid a $100,000 fine and spent two years on probation...then Trump made him Secy of State!

Sometimes you folks crack me up.
Agreed. There is endless hot air in their sails..

There's no way back
from there to here
Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro »

Republicans never give up. They voted 60(?) times to overturn the ACA. On the 61st they'll succeed.

They've been trying to overturn Roe since the day the Supremes ruled on it. With the right appointment to the court and the right case, boom! Gone.

Same with the Voting Rights Act. Gutted and barely hanging on to life, they'll finish it off next year.

What do the Dems fight for? Damn if I know. The last time I remember was back in the election of 2000, and they lost.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Associated Press
US investigating leak related to Petraeus case

WASHINGTON — The Defense Department is conducting a new leaks investigation related to the sex scandal that led to the resignation of former CIA Director David Petraeus, The Associated Press confirmed Monday, the same day Petraeus was meeting with President-elect Donald Trump in New York. ...

A U.S. official told the AP that investigators were trying to determine who leaked personal information about Paula Broadwell, the woman whose affair with Petraeus led to criminal charges against him and his resignation. The information concerned the status of her security clearance, said the official, who was not authorized to discuss an ongoing investigation by name and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Disclosure of the Broadwell information without official permission would have been a violation of federal criminal law.

The latest twist in the case could complicate Petraeus' prospects of obtaining a Cabinet position in the Trump administration, resurfacing details of the extramarital affair and FBI investigation that ended his career at the CIA and tarnished the reputation of the retired four-star general.

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Sluffy1

Post by Sluffy1 »

Trump just wants to prove he can assert his will on anyone...
Any apology by Mitt gives cred to... "I could have said, 'Mitt, drop to your knees,' and he would have dropped to his knees."

Don't do it Mitt.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

Sluffy1 wrote:Trump just wants to prove he can assert his will on anyone...
Any apology by Mitt gives cred to... "I could have said, 'Mitt, drop to your knees,' and he would have dropped to his knees."

Don't do it Mitt.
Another of those situations where I would like to be a fly on the wall. What bait are they using to pull Mitt in? Even if he apologizes, it does not mean he will get what he's promised. That's what the "art of the deal "means. Only one side is held to the bargain.

Don't do it, Mitt.

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro »

Another insane tweet storm from Trump tonight attacking the media for not proving his illegal voter lie to be true.

He's completely nuts.

Dolly

Post by Dolly »

Thanks for the heads up, Skip Intro. Here is a quick copy/paste to the tweets without links to each one.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 29m29 minutes ago
.@CNN is so embarrassed by their total (100%) support of Hillary Clinton, and yet her loss in a landslide, that they don't know what to do.
0 replies 4,854 retweets 15,153 likes

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 1h1 hour ago
"@sdcritic: @HighonHillcrest @jeffzeleny @CNN There is NO QUESTION THAT #voterfraud did take place, and in favor of #CorruptHillary !"
0 replies 3,588 retweets 11,337 likes

"@FiIibuster: @jeffzeleny Pathetic - you have no sufficient evidence that Donald Trump did not suffer from voter fraud, shame! Bad reporter.
0 replies 2,891 retweets 10,183 likes

"@JoeBowman12: @jeffzeleny just another generic CNN part time wannabe journalist !" @CNN still doesn't get it. They will never learn!
0 replies 3,195 retweets 11,260 likes

"@HighonHillcrest: @jeffzeleny what PROOF do u have DonaldTrump did not suffer from millions of FRAUD votes? Journalist? Do your job! @CNN"

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp
esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

Nobody ever said he made logically sound arguments. So is he shifting the burden of proof to the media to prove there were not millions of illegals voting for Hillary? Isn't that an argument for a complete recount of all the votes where she won?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

It's a horrible combination: an ignorant madman with unlimited power to do harm

The Electors and Congress really seriously need to declare him unfit to serve. That is how to maintain the peaceful transfer of power. Nothing in the Constitution says you have to transfer the office to a mad man or someone clearly unfit to serve.

Return to “Trump Administration”