Transition 2016 and so forth

RTH10260

Re: Transition 2016 and so forth

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:31 pm

before we give him a thread of his own, here a snippet of his bio, especially his work following his prior stint at the GWHB administration.

As I mentioned elsewhere another senior citizen in charge of an important government position.

William Barr

Wikipedia wrote: Personal details

Born William Pelham Barr
May 23, 1950 (age 68)
New York City, New York, U.S.
Political party Republican
Education Columbia University (BA, MA)
George Washington University (JD)

Subsequent career
After his tenure at the Department of Justice, Barr spent more than 14 years as a senior corporate executive. At the end of 2008 he retired from Verizon Communications, having served as Executive Vice President and General Counsel of GTE Corporation from 1994 until that company merged with Bell Atlantic to become Verizon. During his corporate tenure, Barr directed a successful litigation campaign by the local telephone industry to achieve deregulation by scuttling a series of FCC rules, personally arguing several cases in the federal courts of appeals and the Supreme Court.[15] Barr currently serves with several corporate boards.[citation needed]

In his adopted home state of Virginia, Barr was appointed during 1994 by then-Governor George Allen to co-chair a commission to reform the criminal justice system and abolish parole in the state.[16] He served on the Board of Visitors of the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg from 1997 to 2005.[17]

He became an independent director of Time Warner (now WarnerMedia) in July 2009.

In 2009, Barr was of counsel to Kirkland & Ellis and joined the firm in 2017.[18]

On December 7, 2018, President Donald Trump announced his nomination of Barr for Attorney General[19] to succeed Jeff Sessions.

Policy positions
Immigration
As deputy attorney general, Barr successfully challenged a proposed rule by the Department of Health and Human Services to allow people with HIV/AIDS into the United States.[20] He also advocated the use of Guantanamo Bay to prevent Haitian refugees and HIV infected peoples from claiming asylum in the United States.[21]

Social issues
Barr has stated that he believed the constitution was not originally intended to create a right to abortion; that Roe v. Wade was thus wrongly decided; and that abortion should be a "legitimate issue for state legislators".[11]

2016 election and Trump administration
Barr believed that then Republican candidate Donald J. Trump's calls for investigating Hillary Clinton, the Democratic candidate for President, were appropriate. He told The New York Times that "there is nothing inherently wrong about a president calling for an investigation. Although an investigation shouldn’t be launched just because a president wants it, the ultimate question is whether the matter warrants investigation." In the same Times piece, Barr added that an investigation into the Uranium One controversy was more warranted than looking into whether Trump conspired with Russia: “To the extent it is not pursuing these matters, the department is abdicating its responsibility.”[22] Elsewhere, Barr has commented that “I don’t think all this stuff about throwing [Hillary Clinton] in jail or jumping to the conclusion that she should be prosecuted is appropriate. But I do think that there are things that should be investigated that haven’t been investigated.”[23]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_P._Barr

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:35 pm

12/08/18 01:24 PM EST
John Kelly to leave White House at year's end

President Trump told reporters at the White House that Chief of Staff John Kelly will leave the administration at the end of the year.

“Appreciate his service very much,” Trump said, adding that he would announce a successor within a few days.

Nick Ayers, a longtime aide to Vice President Pence who is currently serving as Pence's chief of staff, is widely considered a frontrunner for the job.

DEVELOPING
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... f-the-year
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

tek

Post by tek » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:23 pm

Apparently Nick Ayers had to wash his hair or something..
President Trump, Pence’s chief of staff unable to agree on time frame for job
https://www.wsj.com/articles/pence-chie ... 1544389556
There's no way back
from there to here

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:37 pm

Ayers turned down the position and is returning home. Georgia, I think. He announced his resignation on Twitter, of course.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Opinions that he decided to get out and back to family before the stench of this administration was impossible to get out?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:51 pm

Here it is. Replies are great.

Thank you @realDonaldTrump, @VP, and my great colleagues for the honor to serve our Nation at The White House. I will be departing at the end of the year but will work with the #MAGA team to advance the cause. 🇺🇸 #Georgia

tek

Post by tek » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Ayers will not become Trump's chief of staff; Mnuchin, Meadows considered: sources
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... O80RD?il=0

Mnuchin? seriously? Might as well just get a beanbag chair.
There's no way back
from there to here

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:17 pm

Kendra wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:49 pm
Opinions that he decided to get out and back to family before the stench of this administration was impossible to get out?
I think he took one look at DOLTUS's generous offer to be his punching bag and ran like Forrest Gump. He SAW what Trump was like to Preibus and Kelly, why the fuck would you want to put yourself through that?
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:35 pm

Suranis wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:17 pm
Kendra wrote:
I think he took one look at DOLTUS's generous offer to be his punching bag and ran like Forrest Gump. He SAW what Trump was like to Preibus and Kelly, why the fuck would you want to put yourself through that?
It's beyond me why these people keep on hitching themselves to his star. Everything Individual-1 touches dies.

tek

Post by tek » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:01 pm

On Wonkette they are positing Newt.. because why the fuck not?
There's no way back
from there to here

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:05 pm

tek wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:01 pm
On Wonkette they are positing Newt.. because why the fuck not?
Chief of Staff is an actually job where you have to actually have to do a lot of stuff. Newt always struck me as a front man for other people who actually did stuff (or didn't do stuff as the case may be).
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Kendra wrote:
Ayers, 36, is the father of young triplets and has reportedly long planned to leave the administration at the end of this year and return to his home in Georgia. The Journal reported that he had not been able to commit to the White House job beyond the spring of 2019.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... nick-ayers
and
The Journal and other outlets had reported that Trump’s preference for Ayers, reportedly an ally of the president’s daughter Ivanka Trump and her husband Jared Kusher, had caused dissent in the West Wing.
Trumpian staff planning: never ask thru the grapevine if your prefered choice is available, just bloat it to the masses and get a de-Nile.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:08 pm

He's 36. It's one thing agreeing to work for Trump when you're 70 and already have a pension plan in place. At 36 he's got a lot of working years left ahead of him, and Trump stench is too strong for tomato juice.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:59 pm

Im thinking that Trump acuslly ditched Ayers because he is too close to Pence.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:24 am

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ff/577702/
Trump Doesn’t Want a Chief of Staff

Consider the first issue. Had they been given unlimited time and bandwidth, neither of the presidents I worked for would have even hired a chief of staff. Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama would have wanted to take every meeting, hear every perspective, mull every decision, game out every scenario, and address every challenge. They both loved the job of president—and arrived in the Oval Office every morning excited to see what they could accomplish.

But both also recognized that they simply couldn’t do it all. No president can. To get anything completed, and certainly to get the most important things done, they needed to discipline their own time and attention. They needed a gatekeeper. They needed someone to play traffic cop inside the bureaucracy. Without someone wielding the organizational tools that keep the executive branch moving apace, an administration can devolve into chaos. And so, however begrudgingly, both Clinton and Obama accepted that the limitations their chiefs of staff would impose on both them and the rest of their administration would help them achieve their goals.

Second, consider the context. Obama installed me as his first chief of staff because he needed to hit the ground running to pull the country out of the Great Recession and drive the most progressive agenda since the Great Society. Having worked for Clinton, I already understood how the White House machinery worked. I knew the legislative landscape well, having been a member of the House Democratic leadership. And the president-elect trusted me because of our history working together in Illinois politics.

Moreover, the next chief of staff is likely to be in office when the Mueller Report comes in for a landing. The days, weeks, and months that follow will present a challenge unique in the history of the modern presidency. To survive, Trump will need a true wartime consigliere—someone capable of managing the substantive, political, and public-relations challenges of what is likely to be an incredibly damaging set of allegations. There’s no reason to believe that true wisdom about when to stand tall and when to duck coincides with the capacity to conjure up quippy dog whistles. In moments of chaos, the White House will need a steady hand.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:26 pm

some background on Nick Ayers
Nick Ayers: The Swampiest of the Swamp Creatures
by Nancy LeTourneau December 11, 2018

All of the political buzz these days is about who will replace John Kelly as Trump’s new chief of staff. Frankly, I’m less interested in who will ultimately take that job as I am in why Nick Ayers, Vice President Pence’s chief of staff, turned it down.

Part of my curiosity goes back to a piece my colleague Martin Longman wrote a few weeks ago about why Trump was so suddenly worried about Pence’s loyalty. Even back then, we knew that Kelly was on his way out and Ayers was the heir apparent.

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2018/12/1 ... creatures/

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:15 pm

Newsweek: Donald Trump Rejected by Chris Christie for Chief of Staff After Saying Everyone Wants the Job

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Addie wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:15 pm
Newsweek: Donald Trump Rejected by Chris Christie for Chief of Staff After Saying Everyone Wants the Job
What a fabulous headline!!!!!! :rotflmao:
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:42 am

HuffPo
Ryan Zinke Is Out As Interior Department Secretary

The loyal soldier for Trump's "energy dominance" agenda had tallied up more than a dozen federal investigations. ...

President Donald Trump made the announcement on Twitter early Saturday. ...

The former Montana congressman had a tumultuous tenure as chief steward of America’s natural resources, facing nearly 20 federal investigations ― one of which his agency’s internal watchdog recently referred to the Justice Department for possible criminal violations ― and besieged by a steady drumbeat of unfavorable headlines.

When Trump nominated Zinke, one of his early supporters, to lead the Interior Department, he said the former Navy SEAL would identify ways to “safely and responsibly” develop America’s natural resources and play a key role in doing away with “bad regulations.”

Zinke pegged himself as a champion of public lands and a conservationist in the mold of President Theodore Roosevelt. While he initially enjoyed some support from Democrats and environmentalists, many quickly turned on him as he cozied up to fossil fuel interests, embraced sweeping budget cuts that his boss proposed, and prioritized Trump’s “energy dominance” agenda over habitat and resource conservation.

Theodore Roosevelt IV told HuffPost last year that his great-grandfather would have condemned the job Zinke had done and that many in the Roosevelt family were angry that Zinke repeatedly invoked their ancestor to misrepresent his own actions.
Adding:
New York Mag: The Impossible Job: How John Kelly Failed to Tame the West Wing

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:08 am

This avoids Zinke being hauled to the Hill and facing aggressive questions from House Dems - namely Raul Grijalva

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:50 pm

Missed point about the @MickMulvaneyOMB pick:

By installing a Senate confirmed official as CoS (who is not quitting as OMB chief) Trump blunders into being the first POTUS to have a CoS who can be called to testify before Congress.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Stolen from a WAPO comment

Hey Kids!
It's time once again for
the latest version of the
Semi-Official
Cheeto Jeebus Administration
Casualty List

Corey ``er ... Womp Womp?'' Lewandowski
Paul "Er ... Lock Me Up?" Manefort
Rick "Singing Like a Canary" Gates
Katie "I'm tired. So very tired." Walsh
Angella Reid
George "I'm just the Coffee Boy" Papadopoulos
Vivek ``Axed for Doing a Good Job'' Murthy ***
Michael Short
Ezra Cohen-Watnick
George Sifakis
Rick Dearborn
Branda ``Tobacco Investment Girl'' Fitzgerald
Keith "Russian hookers? Right this way..." Schiller
Josh ``Jarvanka Ate My Brain''Raffel
Mike "Guilty as charged, Sir!" Flynn
James Comey ***
Mike ``Need-a-Shave Spice'' Dubke
Andrew ``B@st@rd Stole My Pension'' McCabe
Sean "Serene Sean" Spicer
Reince "and Repeat" Priebus
Anthony "Tony 6-Days" Scaramucci
Steve "Death Mask" Bannon
Sebastian "You Will Not Question the Fuhrer" Gorka
Tom "1st Class Aint Good Enough" Price
Dina ``Moe Hum'' Powell
Cliff ``Yellowspammer Press'' Sims
Rob "Wife Beater" Porter
David "Wife Beater" Sorensen
Hope "Are Rob or David Currently Seeing Anyone?" Hicks
Gary "Conehead" Cohn
John "Touchy" Feeley
Tom ``Seat on the Last Lifeboat'' Shannon
Rex "Roll Over, Boy..." Tillerson
Steve ``Why Don't I Get a Clever Nickname'' Goldstein
John "Lemme me grab my coat ..." McEntee
H. R. ``Better A Beer Salesman Than Trump'' McMaster
David ``Replaced by a Quack'' Shulkin
Thomas ``Killed by a Mustache'' Bossert
Ty "Gotta Wax my 'stache" Cobb
Scott "Cone of Silence" Pruitt
Marc "Just another rat jumping ship" Short
Omarosa "Wild Child" Manigault-Newman
Ian "the M stands for Mein Fuhrer" Smith
Jefferson ``No Regard'' Sessions III
Mira ``Don't Mess With The Missus'' Ricardel
John ``Mr. Irrelevant'' Kelly
and now .... (drum roll) ..... [CRASH]

Ryan ``Gonna be a Mental Toss Flycoon'' Zinke
[wild applause]

*** - Fired
:lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

bob

Post by bob » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:21 pm

Missed point about the @MickMulvaneyOMB pick:

By installing a Senate confirmed official as CoS (who is not quitting as OMB chief) Trump blunders into being the first POTUS to have a CoS who can be called to testify before Congress.
The reporting has been sloppy/inconsistent on the key point (whether Mulvaney is quitting as OMB chief); e.g., ABC reports that Mulvaney's deputy (who is also senate confirmed) is "replacing" him. But that may be just shorthand to suggest that the deputy OMB director will become the acting OMB director while Mulvaney decamps to next to oval office.*

* Per The West Wing.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:35 am

The Economist
Donald Trump’s administration is understaffed and under attack

DONALD TRUMP says he will shut down part of the federal government if Congress does not provide $5 billion for his border-wall by December 21st. He may be bluffing. Meanwhile the president is already cutting the federal workforce, albeit unintentionally. White House reshuffles are usually stage-managed to suggest renewed purpose and vigour. Mr Trump’s latest redo suggests he is running short of competent people willing to work for him.

On December 8 he said his chief of staff, John Kelly, would be out to pasture by the end of the month. The next day his intended replacement, Nick Ayers, a 36-year-old aide to Vice-President Mike Pence, said he would rather go home to Georgia than be Mr Trump’s third chief of staff. Several other mooted replacements for Mr Kelly, who has been serially undermined by Mr Trump and is said to be hardly speaking to him, have also since ruled themselves out.

They include Steve Mnuchin, the Treasury Secretary; Robert Lighthizer, the trade representative; Mick Mulvaney, the president’s budget director; Rick Santorum, a former senator—and Randy Levine, president of the New York Yankees, who sounded startled to be included in the speculation, but wants to stay at the Yankees. Mr Trump maintains “a lot of friends of mine want it.” Indeed, he is said to be looking to ardent loyalists, including Newt Gingrich, a former Republican congressman; Matthew Whitaker, the acting attorney-general; and David Bossie, co-author of the book “Let Trump be Trump”. ...

The administration’s staffing problems reflect how chaotically it has been run. Turnover in senior non-cabinet secretary roles stands at 62%, higher than that of Mr Trump’s six nearest predecessors. Several departments are undermanned, including the White House Counsel’s Office, which will soon field subpoenas from a Democratic-held House of Representatives.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:24 am

Is this true that she's leaving? I don't recall seeing this before, but ... :geezerette:
Raw Story: Here are the 6 most egregious lies in 2018 from outgoing Trump press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders

Return to “Trump Administration”