War with Iran?

Volkonski

Re: War with Iran?

Post by Volkonski »

Reuters
@Reuters
·
10m
Democrats say measure to rein in Trump on Iran will pass Senate https://reut.rs/2Rnyspc
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

tencats

Post by tencats »

Germany confirms Trump made trade threat to Europe over Iran policy
Thu 16 Jan 2020 11.54 EST | https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... clear-deal
Defence minister says Trump threatened to impose 25% tariff on European cars

The United States threatened to impose 25% tariffs on cars to push Europeans to initiate proceedings against Iran for violating the nuclear deal, the German defence minister has confirmed.

“This threat exists,” said the German defence minister, Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer, at a press conference in London.

She was asked about an article in the Washington Post that claimed Trump had secretly warned France, Germany and the UK that the US would impose a “25% tariffs on European cars” if they did not activate the mechanism for the settlement of disputes (MRD) of the Iranian international nuclear agreement reached in Vienna in 2015.

Kramp-Karrenbauer told reporters on Thursday: “This expression or threat, as you will, does exist.”

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

"Negotiation" to Trump consists of making threats and punishing those who don't play ball with him. It's worked in the past for those of his businesses he didn't run into the ground and bankrupt. Why not with other countries?

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeah:

We need a new dictionary to give definitions for words that 45 has his own special meanings for. A couple of my other favorites:

Loyalty - Being willing to break the law on my say-so and keep silent if you get found out.

Counter punch - Respond to statements of truth, however obvious, that reveal my lies and corruption by making personal attack on you, your family, your town, your race, and your party and getting my acolytes to follow my lead. Then threaten financial or personal harm.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

p0rtia wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:56 pm

We need a new dictionary to give definitions for words that 45 has his own special meanings for. A couple of my other favorites:

Loyalty - Being willing to break the law on my say-so and keep silent if you get found out.

Counter punch - Respond to statements of truth, however obvious, that reveal my lies and corruption by making personal attack on you, your family, your town, your race, and your party and getting my acolytes to follow my lead. Then threaten financial or personal harm.
Beautiful - Generic substitute for any suitable adjective that evades him.
Hubs (and me) at the Rockabilly Fest
ImageImageImage x4

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Alex Horton
@AlexHortonTX
·
1h
Days ago,
@leloveluck
reported U.S. troops suffered concussions in the Iranian missile attack, with some flung from a guard tower.

The Pentagon didn't announce the severity of injuries, or that 11 troops were evaced, until
@DefenseOne
reported new details
https://t.co/8ySNfp1dw3?amp=1

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

All is well!
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:19 pm
p0rtia wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:56 pm

Beautiful - Generic substitute for any suitable adjective that evades him.
:clap: We seriously need a separate thread for this.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Not sure where to put this. Someone was recording Trump at one of his donor soirees at Mar-A-Lardo last night and WAPO and CNN have the recordings. They are short 40 second or so bursts, but here's the CNN story:
(CNN)President Trump recounted minute-by-minute details of the US strike that killed Iran's top military commander during remarks to high-dollar Republican donors at his South Florida estate, according to audio obtained by CNN.

Trump, speaking at a GOP fundraising dinner Friday evening, offered new details about the strike that killed Gen. Qasem Soleimani, which exacerbated tensions in the region and led to an ongoing dispute with Congress over his constitutional ability to wage war.

In his speech — held inside the gilded ballroom on his Mar-a-Lago property — he claimed that Soleimani was "saying bad things about our country" before the strike, which led to his decision to authorize his killing.
"How much of this shit do we have to listen to?" Trump asked. "How much are we going to listen to?"

Trump did not describe an "imminent threat" that led to his decision to kill Soleimani, the justificati
on used by administration officials in the aftermath of the attack.
Instead, he described Soleimani as a "noted terrorist" who "was down on our list" and "was supposed to be in his country" before traveling to other nations in the region.

Trump described in detail watching remotely as Soleimani arrived at Baghdad International Airport, where he was met by Iraqi paramilitary leader Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the head of Kata'ib Hezbollah.

Trump claimed erroneously that Soleimani was meeting "the head of Hezbollah" (the Iran-backed Lebanese militant group is separate from group led by Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis).
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/18/politics ... index.html

WAPO:
President Trump delivered a dramatic account of the airstrike that killed Iranian Gen. Qasem Soleimani, joked that he doesn’t care if construction projects kill all the rattlesnakes and noted his indifference to the budget during a private dinner with deep-pocketed donors Friday night at Mar-a-Lago, according to audio files obtained by The Washington Post.

Trump, his tone subdued and conversational, explained his motivation for attacking Soleimani and recounted listening to an anonymous military official countdown to the Jan. 3 strike.

Trump went on to describe those final minutes before the strike, watching and listening from the Situation Room.
“ ‘Sir, they have two minutes and 11 seconds.’ No emotion. ‘two minutes and 11 seconds to live, sir. They’re in the car, they’re in an armored vehicle. Sir, they have approximately one minute to live, sir. 30 seconds. 10, 9, 8 ...’ Then all of a sudden, boom.”["Sir" the sure tell he's lying]

The official on the line told the president Soleimani and the Iraqi military leader he was meeting with were “gone” and then hung up, according to Trump.

In another short file, Trump laments the complicated process to build infrastructure, mocking environmental concerns, specifically mentioning turtle and rattlesnake nesting.
AD

“As far as I’m concerned, you can kill those rattlesnakes. I’ll give you a little secret. As many as we kill, they’ll be here long after us. The rattlesnake. You can kill every son of a bitchin’ rattlesnack,” he said.
Then Trump segues to, “I’m not a big person who believes in sharks too much…,” before the audio file ends.

Trump is famously terrified of sharks. He has tweeted about his disdain for them and Stormy Daniels, who allegedly had an affair with Trump, said he was obsessed with sharks and once told her, “I hope all the sharks die.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

The most disgusting and ignorant "human" to hold the Office in American history.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

TexasFilly wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:15 pm
In his speech — held inside the gilded ballroom on his Mar-a-Lago property — he claimed that Soleimani was "saying bad things about our country" before the strike, which led to his decision to authorize his killing.
"How much of this shit do we have to listen to?" Trump asked. "How much are we going to listen to?"
And here is another tell. I suspect that "saying bad things about our country" was "saying bad things about IMPOTUS." No slight against IMPOTUS goes unpunished.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

tek

Post by tek »

Just standing back and looking over the past weeks:

the Soleimani gambit didn't work, on to the next diversion.
There's no way back
from there to here

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iran ... ce=twitter
DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran’s steps in reducing commitments to the 2015 nuclear deal are over, Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Monday, according to the parliament’s news site ICANA.

“The steps of reducing commitments are finished but if the Europeans continue their improper behavior or send Iran’s file to the Security Council, we will withdraw from the NPT,” Zarif said.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Don’t remember who said this, if they’re a person “in the know” or a schlub like me but they were wondering(via twitter) how IC was going to keep trump’s big mouth shut once he’s out of office.
Hubs (and me) at the Rockabilly Fest
ImageImageImage x4

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:59 am
Don’t remember who said this, if they’re a person “in the know” or a schlub like me but they were wondering(via twitter) how IC was going to keep trump’s big mouth shut once he’s out of office.
That was the "Angry WH Staffer" twitter account. I follow it, but there's a real debate about the posters cred. Still, a viable concern. TV networks will book him all the time, and he is incapable of staying quiet about anything. He'd talk about the fucking launch codes if someone asked.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Considering that FATUS was apparently golfing at the time of the strike, we can file this dramatic story as completely full of shit.

But imagine the anurisms the GOP would have had in HRC started blathering about the Osama strike.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Mustafa Salim
@Mustafa_salimb
Sirens went on as rockets landed on the perimeter of the US embassy in Baghdad green zone. Video was distributed in WhatsApp.
3:47 PM · Jan 20, 2020 from Iraq·Twitter for iPhone

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Pentagon: 34 U.S. troops suffered brain injuries following Iran attack

https://www.axios.com/pentagon-us-troop ... gn=organic
During a press conference Friday, Department of Defense spokesperson Jonathan Rath Hoffman announced 34 U.S. troops were diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries following Iran's attack on U.S. bases in Iraq on Jan. 7.

The state of play: Hoffman confirmed 8 of the 34 troops have returned to the U.S., while 16 of the injured were treated in Iraq and have returned to service. Iran's attack came after a U.S. drone strike killed Iranian Gen. Qasem Soleimani.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Mustafa Salim
@Mustafa_salimb
·
2m
Sirens went on from Baghdad green zone where the US embassy is located as five katyosha rockets landed on the area. No casualties according to Iraqi joint operations command.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Maya Gebeily
@GebeilyM
·
3m
#BREAKING: Of five rockets fired tonight, three rockets in direct hit on US embassy in Iraqi capital, including one on cafeteria: security source - via
@AFP

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Volkonski wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:50 pm
Maya Gebeily
@GebeilyM
·
3m
#BREAKING: Of five rockets fired tonight, three rockets in direct hit on US embassy in Iraqi capital, including one on cafeteria: security source - via
@AFP
And the Trump Administration says? :bored:

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

TexasFilly wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:06 pm
:snippity:
There were only minor headaches?
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Reality Check wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:15 pm
TexasFilly wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:06 pm
:snippity:
There were only minor headaches?
And Tom Cotton will go back on TV to defend that.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Mustafa Salim
@Mustafa_salimb
·
6m
At least one embassy staff was injured according to a source from the
@USEmbBaghdad