Is There An End To This That Isn't Violent?

John Thomas8

Is There An End To This That Isn't Violent?

Post by John Thomas8 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:02 pm

I was reading the preface to Wintson Groom's book about the US Civil War Battle Of Shiloh (Pittsburg Landing, TN) and he looks hard and long into the lead up to the war.

From Mr. Groom's book:

"In the month's before the war came. many in Congress and elsewhere had predicted a future "drenched in blood". Yet few, it seemed, had actually believed or fully understood their rhetoric. Most Americans thought that if it came to blows, a relatively small fight or two would settle the thing, and life would return to normal. They simply could not comprehend a European-style conflict here in America, complete with "terrible armies with banners".

But that's precisely what they got. Twenty years of unabated name-calling and hatred building had created a generation of young men who could be turned into raw killers--a recipe for tragedy.

What's different right now?

John Thomas8

Re: Is There An End To This That Isn't Violent?

Post by John Thomas8 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:09 pm

Aren't we this divided now, morons for the orange fucknut and actual humans?

BruceHollandRogers

Post by BruceHollandRogers » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:15 am

I don't think we are similarly divided. As heated as the rhetoric gets the partisans who call for violence are few. And while there are geographic concentrations of Trump haters and Trump true believers, I don't think the camps are sufficiently concentrated that either side could make a call to arms that would be answered "for Tennessee" or "for California."

It IS true that social media works to isolate people to camps of the like-minded, and I have heard people say, "I don't know anyone who would vote for a Democrat" or "I don't know anyone who would vote for a Republican." But I think such extremes of isolation are rare. Most people at least have relatives on the other side. Brother fought brother in the American Civil War, but mostly brothers were together on one side or the other, as determined by geography.

FInally, there is a generational component to the current divide. There are young Trump supporters, but most of his support trends older.

The greatest threat of political violence lies in worsening economic turmoil. But barring a second Great Depression, I don't see a Red/Blue civil war.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:50 am

John Thomas8 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:09 pm
Aren't we this divided now, morons for the orange fucknut and actual humans?
The civil war was mostly about economics. The evil economics of slavery, but still economics.

The hate you talk about might have been what recruited the foot soldiers, but it was the economics of slaves being really expensive and the basis of the Southern economy that got the Southern States to secede and political and economic elite to actually support a fight.

There might be some magabillies fondling their guns at night itching for a fight, a few of them might even get themselves shot by the police before it is all over, but they don't represent the serious money you fight real war over like the protecting slavery did for the South.

When Fortune 500 companies are openly supporting insurrection, then start worrying.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Return to “Trump Administration”