"Fear: Trump in the White House" by Bob Woodward - 9/11 Release

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

"Fear: Trump in the White House" by Bob Woodward - 9/11 Release

Post by Orlylicious » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:10 pm

:lol: I know we're not a book club here but this Woodward book is scaring the hell out of them (448 pages) and looks like we're going to be hearing a lot about it. Not crazy about the release date.
Fear: Trump in the White House
September 11, 2018
by Bob Woodward (Author)
#1 Best Seller in US Presidents

THE INSIDE STORY ON PRESIDENT TRUMP, AS ONLY BOB WOODWARD CAN TELL IT

With authoritative reporting honed through eight presidencies from Nixon to Obama, author Bob Woodward reveals in unprecedented detail the harrowing life inside President Donald Trump’s White House and precisely how he makes decisions on major foreign and domestic policies. Woodward draws from hundreds of hours of interviews with firsthand sources, meeting notes, personal diaries, files and documents. The focus is on the explosive debates and the decision-making in the Oval Office, the Situation Room, Air Force One and the White House residence.

Fear is the most intimate portrait of a sitting president ever published during the president’s first years in office.

White House Dreads ‘Killer’ Woodward Book After ‘Everyone’ Talked To Him
By Kate Riga August 1, 2018 7:14 am

Though the Trump administration, unlike administrations past, withheld formal access to legendary reporter Bob Woodward for his insider exposé, White House officials are bracing for a “killer” account filled with unauthorized stories from “everyone,” according to a Tuesday Politico account.

“He hooked somebody, and that put the fear of God in everyone else,” a former official told Politico. “It’s gonna be killer. Everyone talked with Woodward,” another added.

Per two interview subjects, Woodward opted not to set up shop on the White House grounds, but instead to lure sources to his house with promises of peeks at his Pulitzers and study. With the home court advantage, he would then push for the information he needed. :lol:

According to Politico, Trump allies are girding themselves for the inevitable furious tweet storm that will erupt from the President’s fingertips when the book hits shelves, giving the tome a boost in sales and popularity and a longer run in the spotlight (à la Michael Wolff’s “Fire and Fury” and James Comey’s “A Higher Loyalty”).
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ ... ked-to-him

Bob Woodward’s upcoming ‘Fear’ inspired by Trump
By Manuel Roig-Franzia / The Washington Post
Posted Aug 2, 2018 at 4:00 AM

In the worldwide capital of leaks and anonymous dishing that is Washington, secrets can be virtually impossible to keep. But somehow, during the past 19 months, the fact that America’s most famous investigative journalist was quietly chipping away at a book that delves into the dysfunctions of President Donald Trump’s White House remained largely unknown.

This week, that veil of secrecy was lifted when Simon & Schuster announced that, in Sept. 11, it will publish “Fear: Trump in the White House” by Bob Woodward. In the book, Woodward’s 19th, the 75-year-old journalist and author “reveals in unprecedented detail the harrowing life inside President Donald Trump’s White House and precisely how he makes decisions on major foreign and domestic policies,” the publisher’s release states.

The expected tenor of the book is underscored by its unsettling cover, an extreme close-up of a squinty-eyed Trump depicted through a gauzy red filter. The hush-hush project derives its title from an offhand remark that then-candidate Trump made in an interview with Woodward and Washington Post political reporter Robert Costa in April 2016.

Costa asked Trump whether he agreed with a statement by then-President Barack Obama, who had said in an Atlantic magazine interview that “real power means you can get what you want without having to exert violence.” At first Trump seemed to agree, saying: “Well, I think there’s a certain truth to that. ... Real power is through respect.” But then he added a personal twist: “Real power is, I don’t even want to use the word — ‘fear.’”

Woodward, who declined to be quoted for this article, has privately described the remark as “an almost Shakespearean aside.”
http://www.dispatch.com/entertainmentli ... d-by-trump

Woodward's website: http://bobwoodward.com/

:popcorn:
Avatar Photo: Dedicated to Slim by the International Brotherhood of Weasels.
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Kendra

Re: "Fear: Trump in the White House" by Bob Woodward - 9/11 Release

Post by Kendra » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:27 pm

Can't wait.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:31 pm

I imagine that Woodward is writing about the fear that pervades the White House, but there is reason for fear in the entire country.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:52 pm

Kendra wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:27 pm
Can't wait.
You've signed up at the library, right? We depend on you to read it and pass on the good stuff daily. No pressure, though...
Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:13 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:31 pm
I imagine that Woodward is writing about the fear that pervades the White House, but there is reason for fear in the entire country.
My first thought was that "fear" referred to 45's life-long habit of ruling by fear; of using fear to rage, bully, and abuse.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:24 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:52 pm
Kendra wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:27 pm
Can't wait.
You've signed up at the library, right? We depend on you to read it and pass on the good stuff daily. No pressure, though...
Yes, if I read it correctly I should be one of the first to download a digital copy when it becomes available. Happy to spam quotes as much as you guys want.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:17 pm

Thanks for starting this thread. I didn't realize it was being released so soon!
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:22 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:17 pm
Thanks for starting this thread. I didn't realize it was being released so soon!
Ditto. I just reserved a copy at my library.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 8 years so far Admin Law Judge for 3 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:01 pm

I think Woodward is a terrible writer so I will not buy the book. I will reserve it at my library instead.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:54 am

WaPo
Bob Woodward's new book reveals a 'nervous breakdown' of Trump's presidency

John Dowd was convinced that President Trump would commit perjury if he talked to special counsel Robert S. Mueller III. So, on Jan. 27, the president’s then-personal attorney staged a practice session to try to make his point.

In the White House residence, Dowd peppered Trump with questions about the Russia investigation, provoking stumbles, contradictions and lies until the president eventually lost his cool.

“This thing’s a goddamn hoax,” Trump erupted at the start of a 30-minute rant that finished with him saying, “I don’t really want to testify.”

The dramatic and previously untold scene is recounted in “Fear,” a forthcoming book by Bob Woodward that paints a harrowing portrait of the Trump presidency, based on in-depth interviews with administration officials and other principals.

Woodward writes that his book is drawn from hundreds of hours of interviews with firsthand participants and witnesses that were conducted on “deep background,” meaning the information could be used but he would not reveal who provided it. His account is also drawn from meeting notes, personal diaries and government documents.

Woodward depicts Trump’s anger and paranoia about the Russia inquiry as unrelenting, at times paralyzing the West Wing for entire days. Learning of the appointment of Mueller in May 2017, Trump groused, “Everybody’s trying to get me”— part of a venting period that shellshocked aides compared to Richard Nixon’s final days as president.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:58 am

:popcorn:

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:19 pm

There's really not much in the Wapo article that we didn't already know or suspect. Of interest is that it looks like Dowd talked to Woodward. :fingerwag: It appears that Rob Porter was also a source.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:49 pm

FWIW - several posts at The Hill about the book.

Trump lost his temper during mock Mueller interview: Woodward book
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... dward-book

Trump called Sessions ‘mentally retarded’: Woodward book

Woodward: Pentagon chief said Trump has understanding on Korea of 'fifth- or sixth-grader'
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... n-korea-of

Woodward: Kelly labeled Trump ‘unhinged’ and ‘idiot’

Woodward: Economic adviser 'stole a letter off Trump's desk'
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... ng-us-from

Lawyer told Trump he’s going to jail if he testifies to Mueller: Woodward book
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... to-mueller

Trump wanted to assassinate Assad after chemical attack: Woodward book
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... -civilians

Woodward book offers damning assessment of Trump White House
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... hite-house

Woodward: Aides compared Trump to Nixon
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... m-to-nixon

Trump said condemning white supremacists was ‘biggest f---ing mistake I’ve made’: Woodward book
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... ng-mistake

Trump on not being interviewed for Woodward book: 'Nobody told me about it'
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... d-me-about
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:51 pm

I wonder if this book will prompt any departures from the White House.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:15 pm

When Cohn met with Trump to deliver his resignation letter after Charlottesville, the president told him, “This is treason,” and persuaded his economic adviser to stay on. Kelly then confided to Cohn that he shared Cohn’s horror at Trump’s handling of the tragedy — and shared Cohn’s fury with Trump.

“I would have taken that resignation letter and shoved it up his ass six different times,” Kelly told Cohn, according to Woodward. Kelly himself has threatened to quit several times, but has not done so.
Based on that WaPo piece, my hot take is that there are a lot of people in DC looking for absolution right now and doing very little to earn it. These cowards not only won't go on the record about any of this, they can't even resign when they want to.
How deep could the Deep State go if the Deep State could go deep?

much ado

Post by much ado » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:29 pm

voxpopuluxe wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:15 pm
When Cohn met with Trump to deliver his resignation letter after Charlottesville, the president told him, “This is treason,” and persuaded his economic adviser to stay on. Kelly then confided to Cohn that he shared Cohn’s horror at Trump’s handling of the tragedy — and shared Cohn’s fury with Trump.

“I would have taken that resignation letter and shoved it up his ass six different times,” Kelly told Cohn, according to Woodward. Kelly himself has threatened to quit several times, but has not done so.
Based on that WaPo piece, my hot take is that there are a lot of people in DC looking for absolution right now and doing very little to earn it. These cowards not only won't go on the record about any of this, they can't even resign when they want to.
I guess that's what Fear is all about.

Reeeko

Post by Reeeko » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:03 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:51 pm
I wonder if this book will prompt any departures from the White House.
I can think of one in particular that I'd like to see...

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:15 pm

:yeah:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:04 pm

This is from The Hill. Sorry, I don't have time to work around the WaPo paywall at the moment.
I am not able to post the audio file at the article.
Exclusive: Listen to Trump’s conversation with Bob Woodward - August 14, 2018
Washington Post releases audio of Trump talking to Woodward about his 'bad book'

The Washington Post on Tuesday released an audio recording of President Trump talking to veteran journalist Bob Woodward about his "bad book," dismissing the forthcoming exposé as one of the many negative books about his White House.

"So I have another bad book coming out," Trump told Woodward during a phone call, a transcript of which was also released by the newspaper. "Big deal."

Woodward during the call described his upcoming book, "Fear: Trump in the White House," as "a tough look at the world and your administration and you."

"I assume that means it’s going to be a negative book," Trump replied. "But you know, I’m some — I’m sort of 50 percent used to that ... That’s all right."

"Some are good and some are bad," Trump added, referring to books about his administration. "Sounds like this is going to be a bad one."

Woodward told the president that he contacted six or seven people from the White House about a sit-down interview with Trump but never heard back.

"I never got a call," Trump said, though later in the conversation he acknowledged that Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) mentioned it to him in passing. "I never got a message."

"It’s really too bad, because nobody told me about it, and I would’ve loved to have spoken to you," Trump said. "You know I’m very open to you. I think you’ve always been fair. We’ll see what happens."

Woodward's book, which is set to hit shelves next week, reportedly describes Trump and his staff as being in the midst of a "nervous breakdown." <SNIP>
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... -about-his

ETA a link

The Fix Analysis
Annotated transcript of the phone call between Trump and Woodward
The president called Bob Woodward after the manuscript of his book had been completed.
By Aaron Blake
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... -woodward/

https://archive.is/7xYA1
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:09 pm

In the interview Trump says he's done more than any other president ever.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:13 pm

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:09 pm
In the interview Trump says he's done more than any other president ever.
Yeah, but not in a good way.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:08 pm

I have very mixed feelings.

1) Obviously, this is bad for Trump. Lots of juicy, on-the-record quotations about how he's an idiot and so on.
2) That being the case, I think a lot of voters priced that into Trump when they voted for him. Those voters were - and remain - so pissed off at absolutely everything in Washington, and have so internalized Trump's rhetoric about America's allies taking advantage of us and white people being an endangered minority that they will blow this off like everything else. "Of course the DC establishment thinks he's stupid! He's a threat to them, and they're the swamp, so right on, Mr. President!" That's what they'll say.
3) I have a special hatred for what Woodward has become. He's a quintessential access journalist. He basically blackmails every administration to let him get unlimited access to the White House - if not the President - with the threat of pouting endlessly on TV and in print if they don't play ball. All so he can write yet another mediocre book filled with gossipy quotes from staffers and nary a word about actual fucking policy - because Woodward doesn't do policy and never has. If the Woodward and Bernstein of 1973 were around today, the current incarnation of Bob Woodward would be leading the charge against their aggressive, disrespectful, outsider reporting. He's also a member of the group of elite writers and talking heads who - by virtue of their lengthy careers and with no other evidence - think that they are entitled to deem their opinion to be the general consensus of the American body politic. Others of this type include Tom Brokaw, Peggy Noonan, David Brooks, Tom Friedman, and Mark Halperin - who was well on his way to being the worst of the bunch before word got out of his repeatedly harassing women, thus sparing us all from ever having to see him on television again.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Yes to all of the above. Plus...

I can’t wait to read the juicy shit. He’s making our lives miserable af; I’m going to enjoy every knock at his mental capacity, every holier-than-thou gasp of outrage from Trump until the bitter end.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:24 pm

If anyone cannot see that Trump isn't quite right between the ears isn't quite right between the ears themselves.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:35 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:08 pm
I have very mixed feelings.

1) Obviously, this is bad for Trump. Lots of juicy, on-the-record quotations about how he's an idiot and so on.
2) That being the case, I think a lot of voters priced that into Trump when they voted for him. Those voters were - and remain - so pissed off at absolutely everything in Washington, and have so internalized Trump's rhetoric about America's allies taking advantage of us and white people being an endangered minority that they will blow this off like everything else. "Of course the DC establishment thinks he's stupid! He's a threat to them, and they're the swamp, so right on, Mr. President!" That's what they'll say.
3) I have a special hatred for what Woodward has become. He's a quintessential access journalist. He basically blackmails every administration to let him get unlimited access to the White House - if not the President - with the threat of pouting endlessly on TV and in print if they don't play ball. All so he can write yet another mediocre book filled with gossipy quotes from staffers and nary a word about actual fucking policy - because Woodward doesn't do policy and never has. If the Woodward and Bernstein of 1973 were around today, the current incarnation of Bob Woodward would be leading the charge against their aggressive, disrespectful, outsider reporting. He's also a member of the group of elite writers and talking heads who - by virtue of their lengthy careers and with no other evidence - think that they are entitled to deem their opinion to be the general consensus of the American body politic. Others of this type include Tom Brokaw, Peggy Noonan, David Brooks, Tom Friedman, and Mark Halperin - who was well on his way to being the worst of the bunch before word got out of his repeatedly harassing women, thus sparing us all from ever having to see him on television again.
Yes, a thousand times yes, especially re: Woodward. IIRC, he was so full of good words about "W" until it was clear to everyone that the Iraq war was a fucking nightmare and then, all of a sudden, Steno Bob changed his tune.

We are going to hear a lot about all of these selfless heroic staffers, et al, who are trying their best to protect America. Bullfuckingshit. They agree with his economic, domestic and most of his foreign policies -- they just wish Trump were more discreet and "civil" about them. They love his immigration policies, but just wish they had been quieter about the family separations. Consider, e.g., Gary Cohn, oh so upset about Charlottesville and how his daughter had a swastika put on her door. Quelle horreur, he was shocked and appalled, but obviously not too shocked and appalled as he was willing to hang around for the tax cuts.
Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Return to “Trump Administration”